New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

"Oh yeah, that reminds me", Grimmgang said, picking up on Shard's thought. "Appearantly there's a rather numerous gang of fools prone to causing trouble, and they seem to see Shard here as a valuable piece of loot. Better stay together closely and keep it to the more frequented streets when leaving."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps we should see about finding Shard some protection from scrying? Though we're all fairly distinctive people, each in our own way. If they have a description of any of us, they'll be able to scry us."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Returning to the Swiftwind, you find Captain Thaddeus just finishing an evening meal. "Ah, good evening. Are we to set out again?" Waving over one of his men to clear away the remnants, he stands and strides to the end of the deck. "The bay is is fine shape, so we can leave at any time, if you wish. Where are we bound next?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, sounds like you want to be on your way. If there was anything you needed to pick up before leaving, you should have no trouble as long as it's not too obscure.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm actually not so clear on our precise destination myself. I'm pretty sure it was Daiya or Xaxhan who had that info...

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan fumbles with parcel he is carrying, shifting the book and forgery materials from his right hand to his left so that he might shake the captain's hand. "We're headed for the Vorgaard estate. It's over on the coast of the mainland, apparently it's rather difficult to miss from the water. I was told that any captain familiar with the area could find it easily. Do you know it?" he inquires, hoping that Iriel gave him adequate coordinates. "Time is likely of the essence, so the sooner we set sail, the better." With that, he heads belowdecks to attempt his forgery.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xaxhan has a mere +3 to his Forgery skill, but will take twenty or ten, if time allows. Any additional helpful modifiers would be welcome. I won't roll here, as according to the rules, the check is made in secret.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

"Certainly, I know the place. We shall set out for the Vorgaard estate at once. Min! Destination is west to the mainland, five degrees north; the Vorgaard estate. Pass the word, and get Nix on watch; we'll be sailing into the night." Thaddeus turns to the task of getting the ship under way, and the Swiftwind is soon gliding smoothly out into the bay.

It is well past sunset by the time the coast comes into view, but the Vorgaard estate is clearly visible atop the cliffs ahead. Unfortunately, the reason for this has less to do with magical lighting and more to do with the fact that the west wing is apparently on fire. Thaddeus hums thoughtfully, pushing the vessel ahead. "I believe the reason for your haste is swiftly becoming apparent. I feel obliged to remind you that this vessel is not a warship, nor are we chartered for combat. We will deliver you to the landing, of course, but should we be attacked, we will stand off. You may wish to be swift in your return."

The Swiftwind's launch takes you in to a landing at the base of the cliff, where a narrow path climbs inland and around to the estate above. The fire appeared to be spreading to the rear of the building before you lost sight of it, but the center of the house and the east wing, stretched out over the edge of the cliff, looked to be still intact.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you've any preparations to make before heading up, now would be the time. Also, if you were doing forgery ahead of time, a few details would be good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ogre in the Playground

"You know, it sure would be nice if we outnumbered them, instead of the other way round. Oh well. C'mon. We have to get in there and get Vorgaard's journal before the Claw gets out with it. Capture, rather than kill?"

Daiya wastes no time in strapping on her sword and stringing her bow, preparing herself for the inevitable combat by drawing her blindfold down. As soon as the ship makes contact with the landing, she leaps lightly to land and listens to approaching footsteps.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

"Out of the sea and into the fire. Great." Grimmgang's exasperated voice easily betrayed how he felt about the Claw seemingly having a lead on their chase. He knelt down, checking the straps on Drasil's armor to make sure it fit well without inhibiting her. "Kill the goons. If we can get their leader alive go for it, but don't risk too much for it.
    Hey capt'n! See any other ship here? Might try attacking them there instead of hoping they're still in the building."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

Thaddeus shakes his head. "My night-eyes aren't good enough for that. Nix! Any other vessels in the area?"

The diminutive kobold watchman's voice drifts down from above. "One: a small galley of curious design anchored around the curve of the cliff. It shows no lights; I cannot tell if it is occupied."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

"How is that these bastards beat us at every turn? I'm getting rather sick of this. If they brought a ship, they're unlikely to be teleporting out, no? Do we try to board them, or should we try and intercept them inside the mansion? I suppose we could try the front door, but there has to be an easier way in. What I wouldn't give for a flight spell..."

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf nodded with a mischievous grin. "Forget the estate then. The Claw isn't stupid enough to risk burning down their price for no reason. We scuttle their ship, then get Claw and journal. Thaddeus, douse the lights while you wait. Stay clear if anyone but us tries to approach."
    Grimmgang rested his axe on his right shoulder, the purple sheen of the head eerie in the faint light. "They beat us on the race, let's make them regret it."

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

The lights on the Swiftwind wink out at Thaddeus's command, and Grimmgang slips unseen below the inky surface of the water. As he approaches the galley, he can pick out a few of the features that make up its 'curious' design; for one, it has only three oars on each side, the middle one of which is massively oversized. No figures appear on deck as he approaches, nor do any alarums ring out over the ocean.

The first blow makes barely a dent in the thick hull; despite the dwarf's strength, swinging an axe underwater is not the easiest of tasks. However, it provokes no apparent response from above, and after the fourth strike, the heavy planks begin to break apart. Soon, the hole is wide enough that the ship will clearly not survive without immediate magical aid or a great deal of pumping, neither of which appears to be forthcoming.

As you return unnoticed to the landing, the path upward curves away in the darkness before you. No one has yet come down, but if the fire is left to burn above, no doubt whatever business they have above will be shortly concluded, one way or another. All that remains to be decided is how - or if - the confrontation should be forced.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Water, whether falling from the sky or collected in the sea, really wasn't Grimmgang's favourite thing, but when he emerged again on the shore, dripping wet, he still had a rare satisfied grin on his face. "That will do it. No one on board it seems. By the way, the ship had two big oars, too big for a human I'd say. They must have something big and strong with them. Ogres maybe... Or just as likely ogre skeletons, it's the Emerald Claw after all. Or something more exotic, so watch out."

He looked up the path to the blaze awaiting them, wringing out his beard which was answered by a stream of water dabbling to the ground. "That cost some time, so let's hurry. I don't expect they're incompetent enough to burn the journal, but better not bet our lives on it."

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Wading to shore from the boat, Xaxhan pauses to draw an ornately carved rod from his backpack, and holds it aloft. The water laps at his ankles as he softly hums the ancient song of transformation; his skin thickens and his hair falls out, his posture becomes somewhat hunched, keen talons extrude from the flesh of his hands, his jaw elongates and fills itself with row upon row of wicked-looking teeth. The transmogrified Seren shakes himself and stretches, arcing his back to feel the changed limitations of his new body. Satisfied with his spell, he gently touches the dragonmark that twists itself across his shoulder and throat, prompting a faint shimmer to briefly surround him before abruptly fading.

He draws forth his mandolin and tests his new claws' ability to pluck the strings, a few errant notes plinking out. He smiles at his comrades, before rasping, "If I keep this up, perhaps the claw will simply assume you're travelling with a troglodyte and I won't have to disguise myself in port. I'm ready when the rest of you are."

Spoiler
    Show
    Xaxhan now has an AC of 23 and DR 10/magic against ranged weapons until the shield has absorbed 60 points of damage. If we take a stealthy approach, he has +9 hide (+4 of which comes from the transformation) and +5 move silently.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ogre in the Playground

"Kindly remember that some of us have senses of smell far beyond normal people. Troglodytes smell atrocious, just so you know."

Daiya takes up rear guard, listening and sensing for people prepared to ambush them as they advance up the path.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

The glare of the fire strikes you full-on as you round the last corner to emerge atop the cliff. The west and north wings are almost entirely consumed, and most of the Claw soldiers stationed out front are nervously watching the progress of the flames. Unfortunately, the man in elegant green silk robes standing on the balcony is sharper-eyed. Pale, blond, and almost supernaturally pretty, Xaxhan might be able to rival him for looks were he not currently in the form of a troglodyte.

"You there, lizard! Ah, and the crystal warrior, I assume. If you've come to visit Vorgaard, I fear this is not a good time. If you've come to hand over the Dragon's Eye, on the other hand, I'm sure we could come to an arrangement. Otherwise..." Taking a drink from a hip flask, he casually tosses it away and lays a hand on the hilt of his rapier. "...well, I'm sure you're a bright lot."

Spoiler
    Show
    Should you choose to initiate combat at this point, the party gets a surprise round.

Initiative:
    Daiya
    Grimmgang
    Enemies
    Xaxhan
    Shard

Map's marked in 10-foot squares this time. The balcony and anything within 20ft of the columns is in bright illumination; the rest of the map is in shadowy illumination from the burning building. The party's currently ~50ft off the bottom of the map.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-08-04 at 03:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

"Less talk, more dying", came the dwarf's simple retort, advancing with axe drawn and obvious intent.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think they deserve a better answer

Use Extreme Leap, with surprise movement that brings me to 10 below X16

gonna see whether Xaxhan uses bardic stuff before deciding whether I charge in proper initiative

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Troll in the Playground

Shard nodded grimly, and proceeded to make it's preparations.

A number of glowing dagger-like shards of crystal exploded from it's body, stopping abruptly about a foot from it's form to hover menacingly arrayed around it, followed by a glowing mist of crystalline motes that sparkled with refracted light from within. It's illumination flowed from it's arm down into it's weapon which pulsed with increased power, while a blue mist began to hiss off the great blade. Finally, the dread face of it's psionic shield manifested brightly into the air, floating before it.

"I am ready."

When they came upon the Claw, Shard spoke not, but followed Grimmgang's stoic example and advanced upon the enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    This all moved forward pretty fast, but I'm here now.

Shard will go ahead and take it's 30 foot move up behind and diagonally to the left of Grimmy (lined up with the leader...)

List of buffs:

Force Screen
    Dissolving Weapon
    Charge Weapon
    Divine Favor
    Cloud of enives
    Entropic Shield

AC: 27

20% miss chance vs. ranged.n
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-08-11 at 01:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya heard the challenge in the man's voice, and felt Shard and Grimmgang advancing. Seeing the combat about to start anyway, she launched a rapid barrage of energy bolts upon the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile on the pipe-smoker.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan's voice rises along the terrain of the cliffside manor, its newly acquired reptilian rasp appropriate for ancient Draconic battle-hymn he sang, his mandolin accompanying. As his chants passed over his comrades, their blades were adumbrated with hoarfrost. As he intoned the ancient melody, the badge on his chest glowed softly, lending strength to the inspiring tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inspire Courage as a standard action and activate the Badge of Valor as a swift. That's an additional 3d6 cold damage to everyone's attacks. That'll be my surprise round action, I don't go again until after the enemies do, anyway. Incidentally, I might want to go toe-to-toe with the pretty boy, just for the sake of dramatic appropriateness.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

Going into a sprint, Grimmgang crossed the distance to the first line of defence and cut at the nearest soldier, careful to keep his balance for the inevitable counterattack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge, fighting defensively. Move takes me to Q17

attack - (1d20+6)[24] damage - (1d10+4)[12] skirmish - (2d6)[4] cold - (3d6)[9]

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

Drawing her sword, Daiya advances as well, extending her free palm towards the blue aura surrounding the speaking man and firing a ray of heat at him.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[17] Touch attack
    (2d4)[2] Miss on 2 (I'm targeting his square, where I see the aura through arcane sight, if the aura is his exact shape then I'll leave it to you whether that counts as seeing him).
    (4d6)[12]Fire damage.
    My sword is out now, which means light from it. I advance my full 30 feet up towards the combat.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

Taken off guard by Daiya's successive blows, the robed man stumbles backward and downs a healing potion, bluster forgotten; the soldiers on the balcony likewise drink potions of some sort and move into a better position. Grimmgang easily cuts down the first soldier to stand in his way, but the others quickly move to hem him in, swinging their flails with all the resultant enthusiasm of their released tension. More worryingly, a low chuckle from the air heralds the arrival of two massive blades as a pair of blue-skinned, horned humanoids flicker into view. "Your bravery eclipses your stature, dwarf."

Spoiler
    Show
    Daiya, you're not in range for a Scorching Ray, so I substituted another Magic Missile. If you'd rather have done something else, no worries, can retcon it easily enough.

Claws:
    Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+1)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12]
    Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+1)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[13]
    Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11]

Others:
    Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+9)[20]
    Damage: (3d6+7)[17]
    Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+9)[28]
    Damage: (3d6+7)[20]

Daiya and Shard are ~20ft off the bottom of the map, Xaxhan ~50. Party's turn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ogre in the Playground

"Grimmy, get outta there!" Xaxhan shouts, realizing how foolish it was to use his companion's name only as it came out of his mouth. He then steels his nerves to unleash a torrent of arcane energy, focused on the spot Grimmgang stands, but only after the dwarf clears the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xaxhan readies an action to cast Glitterdust, centred where he can get both of the giants and all of the claws: so basically right where Grimmgang is right now. The trigger is Grimmgang getting out of range and moving away. DC is 16 Will or be blinded for 6 rounds. Anyone hit can't go invisible and take a -40 to Hide.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

He felt the disturbance in the air when the invisible attackers drew nearer, but it wasn't enough to evade the blade suddenly coming down on him. Grimmgang hastily raised his shield to soften the blow, but still the impact caused a loud crack on his collarbone and a profusely bleeding wound on his neck. "Gotta bring you down to my level then bastard." Moving out of the pocket, he cut at the unprotected hollow of the ogre's knee, a furious Drasil moving in to support with a vicious bite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble to S18
    Autosucceed O1
    DC17 O2 (1d20+15)[29]
    DC 19 E2 (1d20+15)[34]
    DC 21 E3 (1d20+15)[32]
    DC 23 E4 (1d20+15)[28]

Emerald Razor, defensively
    Touch - (1d20+4)[14] (1d10+4)[13] Skirmish - (2d6)[6] Cold - (3d6)[13]

Drasil moves to S19
    (1d20+6)[16] (1d6+5)[7] Cold - (3d6)[13]
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-08-06 at 03:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Troll in the Playground

Shard advances up to the battlefield, preparing for a killing blow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move 30 feet up to Y18, Cast True Strike.

Divine Favor 7 rounds left.

Cloud of Knives 4 rounds left.

Have to be within 30 feet for Cloud of Knives so won't be able to do until next round...which should be happening about now.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-08-06 at 06:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang's axe cuts deeply into the ogre's leg, but the wound does not bleed, instead beginning to heal almost immediately. Drasil's bite is less effective, easily deflected by the hilt of the giant's sword. Xaxhan's burst of glitter momentarily stuns the Emerald Claw soldiers, who stumble back to form some semblance of a defensive line. Even one of the ogres is affected, although he simply closes his eyes and lifts off the ground, sending a cautious swipe Grimmgang's way from above. Daiya's fiery ray passes an inch from the nearer ogre's forehead, causing him to flinch back momentarily.

"It seems you have the skill to back up your tongue. But how well can you fight one who cares not for your tricks?" Rising several feet off the ground, the talkative ogre mage raises a hand in brief concentration, then reaches for Grimmgang's weapon with a claw of shadows.

The archers on the balcony sight on Daiya and Shard, releasing a hail of bolts, while the robed man draws a much finer looking crossbow and sends a careful shot at Xaxhan, only to watch it bounce harmlessly off multiple layers of scale and warding.

Spoiler
    Show
    E2, 3, 4, and O1 fail their saves.

E2, 3, 4 take Total Defense.
    E6, 7 attack Daiya.
    Attack: (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage: (1d8)[8]
    Attack: (1d20+2)[4]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

E7, 8 attack Shard.
    Attack: (1d20+2)[18]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]
    Shield (miss on 1): (1d5)[4]
    Attack: (1d20+2)[11]
    Damage: (1d8)[2]
    Shield: (1d5)[4]

A attacks Xaxhan.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (1d8)[8]
    Concealment: (1d5)[2]

O1 attacks Grimmgang.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[23]
    Damage: (3d6+7)[15]
    O2 attempts to hit Grimmgang's axe with a Darkness.
    Cast defensively, DC17: (1d20+11)[19]
    Opposed attack roll: (1d20+8)[24]

O1 and O2 are at +5ft. Xaxhan is ~80ft off the map.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Troll in the Playground

Shard's angry force shield was too slow to intercept the first bolt but it nonetheless plinked harmlessly off its armored body, while the crystal warrior calmly sidestepped the second bolt it saw coming.

In the wake of its companions assault, Shard rushed forward past Grimmgang, cleaving upwards into the belly of the blue behemoth with the reach of it's blade. "I've seen your type amongst the humans...they call you bullies."

As the weapon impaled the beat's body, Shard stole a fraction of the ogre's life energy, and sent it pulsing into Grimmgang's wounds, stemming the tide of blood.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming Shard can still attack a foe hovering only 5 feet off the ground. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Obviously Shard will be acting after whatever sonic bursts or what have you go off, but I'm so busy tonight and tomorrow I need to just post now and let Sal sort it out.

Move up 30 feet to S18

Initiate Crusader's Strike, healing directed towards Grimmgang
    Attack O2: (1d20+31)[34]
    Damage:
    Sword (4d6+6)[23]+
    Frost (2d6)[7]+
    Acid (2d6)[9]

Healing: (1d6+3)[6] to Grimmgang

Divine Favor: 6 rounds left
    Cloud of Knives: 3 rounds left
    AC: 27
    20% miss chance vs. ranged

Comments: Huh: Average roll for most of the damage etc, but a crummy attack roll...quite glad I had the True Strike on. So much in the setup!

Last edited by TekHed; 2012-08-11 at 01:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang easily sidestepped the swing of the first ogre, years of training in his youth for evading larger enemies giving him an edge. He noticed too late that the second one was going for his axe instead of his body though, and now shadows seemed to spread from the weapon.
    "Only fire and acid kills them!" he called out, keeping the assault up while they were still in reach of his attacks. He saw a target of opportunity in the blinded one and lashed out with axe and shield, trusting Xaxhan's elemental enhancement to give the strikes extra bite.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Shard's attack should knock O2 out. If not Drasil will attac O2 again

Move to S15

Wolf Fang Strike, +2 unseen attacker
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+8)[21]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[11] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[7] + Cold damage - (3d6)[15] Concealment - (1d100)[43]
    Shield spikes - (1d20+8)[12]
    Piercing damage - (1d6+1)[3] + Skirmish damage - (2d6)[8] + Cold damage - (3d6)[11] Concealment - (1d100)[91]

Drasil: step to S19 if O2 still up, Q18 otherwise
    (1d20+6)[25] bite damage - (1d6+5)[7] + Cold damage - (3d6)[10] Concealment - (1d100)[70]

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ogre in the Playground

Watching Xaxhan's spell take hold, Daiya steps lightly forward, staying well out of reach of the large creatures, and unleashes a horrific noise on the small cluster of smaller humans and one of the larger figures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to T13, Sound Burst centered on Q15 should catch E2, E3, E4, O1.
    (1d8)[1] Sonic Damage.
    DC 16 Fort Save or Stunned for 1 round (does not prevent damage)

Spoiler
    Show