New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Hey Daiya, let me take a look and see if I can find anything. Also could you do with any extra healing?
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[29] spellcraft ftw.

Very good ideas Grimmgang, thanks for your scouting. I think that if we want to invade this place we should rest up and prepare anything we'd need. You could sneak in during the night and take a look around if need be. This cage worries me though, if it's humanoid then it could prove to be an ally. But it could also be some sort of caged beast to protect them.

Turning to the dragging, gagged prisoner Trunk gestures at him. We could also find out about any guard dispositions and duty shifts if needs be. I'd rather we didn't torture him, when we leave to enter this temple we should tie him up so he cannot alert anybody.

Thinking for a second, Trunk remembers something. Maybe we could find this campsite that was mentioned by the Cold Sun tribe? It washidden under a ridge wasn't it? We could rest there overnight and I could prepare some spells to empower everybody, increasing our capabilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I make a spot check against the indistinct shapes int he distance? Even at a major negative modifier?
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Backtracking a short distance, you find the broken tree Kristach described, and following his directions, you turn off the path. After struggling through a particularly overgrown patch of foliage, you emerge on the other side to find mossy stone walls on either side of you and a thick layer of green overhead. A small stream trickles down the rocks at the far end of the ravine, running a few feet before disappearing underground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your spell identifies a transmutation aura on the lizardfolk.

While you could take a look if you got close enough on the ground, I should remind you that Trunk is not especially stealthy.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wake him up. We don't need to torture him to get answers from him." Daiya approaches the lizardfolk and concentrates on him, waiting for her friends to wake him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Thoughts before questioning. Concentrating on him, trying to pick up answers to questions as we ask them.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"I have no idea what was in the cage. It could be a guard creature or still wild, we have no guarantee how it would act if freed. We could free it as a back-up plan if things get rough and we need a distraction to get out, but only if we are desperate."

On Trunks suggestion to rest he said "I know Daiya needs some magic to heal the poison damage, and spells handpicked for this fight could be useful, but if we delay until tomorrow they will have noticed their guards gone and be on high alert. If we want to catch them unprepared we have to strike in the next few hours. A quick surprise attack while only part of them is on guard is our best chance."

Spoiler
    Show
    what did I find looting? Some poisoned arrows could be useful, though I'm not sure if I can fire them from my bow since they're small
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Right, sorry. Each of the lizardfolk had a masterwork longsword and buckler, and a masterwork longbow (the one you captured had a composite bow with a +2 bonus). You managed to recover 5 arrows that appear to be poisoned. Also, I seem to have been mistaken before; there is indeed one amulet on the one you captured that registers as magical (in addition to the spell he had cast).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    nice, those masterwork things alone are worth more than a weeks pay for each of us

though I did hope for some extra poison vials on them. Could I use the small arrows with my mediumsized bow?
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No extra poison, but yeh, you can use the arrows with your bow; you'll just have the inappropriate size penalty.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait, there's another magic item. His amulet, somebody grab it. Hmm. We should decide now whether we rest or we move on. I'm feeling a little faint from this poison, but I can use magic, too." Daiya sheathes her sword, sighing heavily.
    "Are we going to question this one or not?"
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

The Shard frowns, unable to conceal it's displeasure.

"I am not pleased with the idea of sending Daiya into a fight so poisoned. However, Grimmgang appears to be correct in that we may face much steeper opposition if the lizardfolk were to discover their missing scouts. In addition, my meager abilities have been taxed in this battle as well. Whatever is to be done, we must be smart about it. I'm afraid I have further unfortunate news...I am unable to cease emitting light, even at night so I fear I may place any surprise attack in jepordy. I hope I have not compromised our quest so early on..."

10. - Top - End - #100

Spoiler
    Show
    Alas, Shard, the ultimate stealth monkey.

That is unfortunate Shard, maybe you should be the rearguard then so our position is not compromised. Should we drag the corpses of the slain to our campsite? Saves them finding bodies. Grimmgang maybe a full on frontal assualt is a bad idea. What would be the possibility of infiltrating the place? I understand that you are quite stealthy and I can change into a small, stealthy animal. Daiya and Shard, is there anything you can do regarding stealth?

Spoiler
    Show
    I have the camoflage spell at this level I believe, that can help us.

Trunk ties the live captive to a tree and gags him. Any ideas about how we go about this? My interactions have always been based around peaceful negotiations.

Player Registry

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

"Sneaking past them is suicide. Even if we manage it, we search for something hidden in the temple and have no idea where to look; we'll be discovered and get pocketed in between the lizards in the temple and those outside. We can either try diplomacy, find an entrance outside the temple to where we want to go or take this place by force. And for the latter, we'd have to act soon. I know the difference between attacking a fortified position or catching an opponent unaware, and the difference will be our very lives and just so you know, I didn't sign up for a suicide mission. Either we act soon while it is still day or you better come up with a damn well great alternative plan because I certainly won't charge to my doon just to say 'I told you so' with my dying breath." Grimmgangs eyes narrowed, he was obviously quite displeased with this turn of events.
    Breathing deeply, he regained his composure.
    "We could try guerilla tactics, thinning them out with time. Maybe lure some of them in the jungle with this instrument and ambush them. But I'm still convinced our best chance is to strike the blackscales while they're unprepared and then either take the rest out or make a tactical retreat once the blackscales are down, depending on how things develop.
    As for our prisoner, heal him up and maybe we learn something about how many enemies we're dealing with, I couldn't take a look inside the huts or the temple. With luck we don't have to get overtly unfriendly."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

"We don't know the proper signals to lure them out." Daiya seems pensive for a moment, then goes to one of the fallen (dead) lizardfolk.

"Hmm. Yes, he will do nicely." Daiya mutters to herself, casting some sort of spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Speak With Dead

The corpse seems to gain some energy of its own volition, and Daiya addresses it with two questions.

"Where is the best spot to hide from your allies' scouts?"

"Where, if any, are the unguarded entrances to the temple?"

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

The lizardfolk's corpse, freshly dead as it is, responds quickly, in a voice dead only in its lack of any inflection.

"Far away."

"Windows."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #104

Sorry Grimmgang, I defer to your greater knowledge of warfare. Trunk bows his head slightly in acknowledgement, knowing he possesses little skill with the tactics of warfare. However we could use this signalling device to lure out atleast a portion of their defences, meaning we have less enemies to confront.

I understand this is one of those "three wishes" situations, correct? If you have no better questions in mind for the third, maybe ask about where the Blackscales keep armaekrixner, the spear Kristach mentioned.

Player Registry

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's actually more of a "1 question per two caster levels" thing. What we have learned is that the temple has windows though. That's something. And that there's no perfect place nearby to hide from the scouts.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

So how is everybody doing, resources wise? I have all of my spells left I believe. If we're to storm this place head on then we should atleast know how much we have available to fall back on.

Player Registry

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

"I have just a tiny scratch and no limited magic to speak of, apart from this", Grimmgang said, thumping his belt. "And I'm not talking about a frontal assault from the cleared out way, but coming from the side of the jungle to take out the blackscales before the rest of the temple has time to react and send aid. If things get too rough, we can make a retreat back in the jungle. Trunk, you have any magic to cover our retreat or maybe slow reinforcements to the blackscales down?"

Spoiler
    Show
    come on guys, keep the game going
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2010-11-03 at 02:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Ah sorry, I became confused with your plan but now I see that as a pretty plausable plan of action. Anybody else have any major ideas or improvements for this plan? As for my own resources, I'm as prepared as can be. I haven't cast any spells yet today and I do have some a diversion and snag or two to harry the enemy with.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah I tried to bump the game up. Lots of games have been slack over halloween though, atleast all that I'm participating in.

Player Registry

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've got plenty of magic left, and I can just ignore the poison and stay out of combat if that's what it takes."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

"How much is your combat ability limited by the poison, Daiya? Depending on that, you could do secondary melee or switch to ranged support. If we pool alchemist fires you should still be able to do damage even when weakened."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

With a sword? A fair amount. I still have magic though, and my magic isn't meant for healing...

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

I'm sure we can conjure up a ranged weapon for you, if the poison starts to inhibit you too much.

Player Registry

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

"Try out my bow, I use it as a backup, but if our efficency profits from you using it I'll give it to you."

Spoiler
    Show
    masterwork composite longbow, mighty +3

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

"I have expended only a small amount of my power...though it is limited to begin with. If you like I can reserve my spellcasting for healing injuries in the thick of melee. My hardened form has little to fear from injury or poison." Shard replies still looking with concern at Daiya.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've had a doozy last couple of weeks. Things are balncing out though. Apologies for my absence...

25. - Top - End - #115

Well then shall we move into the trees so we can assualt from the side?
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2010-11-05 at 04:26 PM.

Player Registry

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

"If we're set on the plan, I'd say so unless you heal our prisoner so we can get some more information about what awaits us out of him. I couldn't get a clear reading on their numbers, but we should manage if we take them by surprise, coming from the west right on top of the blackscale huts and taking them out hard and fast."

Grimmgang removed three vials from his belt, giving them to Daiya. "Take my alchemist fires, each of us needs to pull his weight if we want to get through this."

Spoiler
    Show

that was the map, blackscale huts are the western ones. Light green should be non-onstructing grass, so once we're out there they can see us, but we should be able to get in melee range before they can react and get first strike
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2010-11-05 at 04:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Ah I almost forgot about our special guest. Lets see what we can get from him and then leave him tied and gagged so he cannot give us away. Pulling a gnarled, thin white wand from his haversack and expends some of its energy to bring the lizardfolk to conciousness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Expending 1 charge from my lesser vigor wand. Who has the highest intimidate? Or should I use diplomacy unless someone else has a higher modifier. Mine is...+9 diplomacy and +1 intimidate.

Crouching infront of the restrained lizardfolk, Trunk gently says in draconic I have no intention of harming you, but if you resist, try to escape or give away our position in any way then my friends here, gesturing at his friends around him, won't hesitate to cut you down. Now, how many of your brethren live in the temple? And how are your defences organised?

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy:(1d20+9)[19]. If this rolls badly ( which sods law it will) then feel free to use intimidate or diplomacy. I'm sure that if we all joined in to look imposing we could get intimidate bonuses

Well i rolled average for diplo, stealth rolls are as follows.
    Hide: [roll]1d20-1[/roll]
    MS: [roll]1d20-1[/roll]
    Just wait, natural 20s here i come
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2010-11-05 at 05:07 PM.

Player Registry

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll pull my own weight. Between magic and this bow of mine, I can still be effective without the use of my sword."

Daiya strings her shortbow and sets a quiver in easy reach. She also accepts the fire, however. She also notes that nobody has picked up the amulet on the captured scout yet, and takes it, tucking it into one of the side pockets of her bag.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

The lizardfolk glares at you, or so you assume - it is somewhat difficult to tell when its glassy black eyes and lack of eyebrows turn every expression into an intent stare. "<There are over a hundred of us here. We need no defenses, for soon we leave to attack!>" Despite his vehemence, however, not one of you hears any truth in his words.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

"What did he say?" Grimmgang asked. When Trunk translated the lizards bragging, he shook his head. "Apart from the temple, they only have four small huts each for the blackscales and poison dusks. I'd say 30 in all, including noncombatants, would be a high estimate."