New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Xaxhan is relieved that his ears are still ringing and deafness drowns out most of the conversation he hears between the dwarf and the hobgoblin. He catches the vial, nods his appreciation to Grimmgang, and downs it. He grimaces at the bitter taste, but grudgingly acknowledges it's utility. He makes his way through his enemies' equipment scanning them to gauge their markings, make, and worth.

"Daiya," he calls the blind knight over, "can you make out whether any of this is useful or magical?" He glances at the archer, "Or are you perhaps willing to save us the trouble and describe these outright? I'll make sure not to use a Seren quadruple knot on whichever of you helps."

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya sheathes her sword as the prisoners are taken, and sets about collecting all of the magical items she can still find, including those still waiting on the prisoners.

"These are the magical ones, bard. As for useful, we could look through the weapons. Some of them are probably quality. And if you could all kindly dismiss the magic that's still in effect on you, we would appreciate it."
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

"Ferdinot was responsible for trinkets and spells alike." Glancing down at the bloody arcanist, she prods him with a foot. "He's still breathing, so bring him around if you want him to dismiss his magic or explain what those things do."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see, loot list...
    Relevant Spellcraft and Appraise checks have been rolled to speed things up.
    Non-magical:
    3 mwk cutlasses
    3 mwk daggers
    mwk composite+4 longbow
    mwk net
    16 arrows
    2 kama
    7 shuriken
    1 poisoned shuriken
    10 tindertwigs
    3 smokesticks
    bag of caltrops
    3 tanglefoot bags
    4 antitoxins
    20p, 121g, 16s, 5c
    assorted jewellery worth ~400g
    Magical:
    small jar of... something (transmutation)
    amulet (transmutation)
    bag of dust (illusion)
    cloak (abjuration)
    ring (abjuration)
    potion of fly
    2 potions of cure moderate wounds
    unidentifiable potion (illusion)
    potion of gaseous form
    Last edited by Sallera; 2014-01-06 at 01:42 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearing that the spellcaster was still breathing, Daiya quickly moves to bind his wounds before he bleeds out, calling for help and rope while she does so.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[10] Heal check to bind his wounds if he's still bleeding out.[/roll]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

"Do we really need him?" Grimmgang asked sceptically. "We always figured these things out ourselves, and of all these guys he is the last I want after us looking for revenge. Just let him be and the problem solves itself."

Going through their haul, he casually tossed his own dagger over board to replace it with a blade of finer make. The antitoxin given to Xaxhan is quickly replaced, and after some short reflection he took a smokestick with three tindertwigs as well. He also replenished his supply of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    no extra doses of poison?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya doesn't look up from trying to bind the man's wounds at Grimmgang's suggestion.

"Figuring these things out gets expensive, and besides...his companions have surrendered the ship. As far as I'm concerned, that makes him our prisoner subject to the same offer of surrender we gave these two. I'm not suggesting we let him run loose. Tie him up and gag him. If he refuses to accept the same terms or tries to attack us, then we can kill him and dump him to the sharks."

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn you, knightly honor. Daiya isn't Good with a capital G, but she does abide by Lawfulness. Any laxness in that department is my fault, not hers. And this is her argument. At this point it's less about the magic items and more about giving proper care to a prisoner.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

"Technically he only becomes a prisoner once he surrenders, and we are under no obligation to save the ones who opposed us until they received a fatal wound. But have it your way."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Troll in the Playground

"Is it not possible for a wizard to cast spells while bound? I have seen you do much the same Daiya..."

Shard looked over it's companions "Was anyone injured?"

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's possible, but a little bit more difficult. But if he tries anything after agreeing to surrender, I'll execute him myself."

Daiya doesn't sound like she relishes the idea.

"And that big one and the archer left me a couple wounds. Nothing I can't deal with once we get out to sail though."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[10] I think that's enough talking to constitute another round. Continuing to try and bring this guy around.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

"Not a scratch. Perhaps a slice of my dignity with the blasted blindness thing." He looked over the water in the direction of the port, waiting for the Sea Wyverns to arrive.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

"Just a scratch, though I'm feeling a bit weak from whatever she envenomed her darts with," Xaxhan mutters. "Hopefully, I'll improve while we're at sea. If there's nothing else to discuss, we should probably signal our comrades that we're ready to set sail, no?"

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

The arcanist does not appear as though he will die any time soon, but he isn't likely to wake up for a while without magical healing, either. The Sea Wyverns have apparently been watching; they begin to trickle aboard a few at a time, the rowboat you used and the Laughing Lady's launch traveling back and forth to the docks.

Doc Grimm is the first aboard, and Damog follows ponderously after, surveying the deck with an immensely satisfied look upon his face. "Now this, this is a fine treasure indeed. As Captain, I am most pleased."

The hobgoblin rolls her eyes as the older Wyverns begin to climb up, looking faintly disgusted. "Hellscurvy. The failed captain without a ship. I didn't surrender to you."

"Ah, if it is not former Captain Sorrowbringer. Do not worry about such details; we have an agreement with these fine warriors. Their blades are swift, and our mutual profit will be great, but only a sailor captains a ship. It will not matter to you much longer, in any event. There is no place for Cloudreavers on my ship." Turning away with a smug smile, Damog begins giving orders to the few who have arrived, and by the time the last of the Sea Wyverns climb aboard and the launch is hauled out of the water, the caravel is ready to depart.

"Nice work there, mates," Doc Grimm says as he sidles up to the aftcastle, his everpresent grin firmly in place. "Some of the younger ones will take care of the cleaning while we sail, and we'll have this lady right and ready for our arrival. Reckon it'll be five days or so at sea, assuming no nasty weather, so if you've got anything to get in order, anything you need to know, we've plenty o' time."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2013-02-12 at 10:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I guess my efforts here were unneeded. This one's wounds weren't fatal. He'll wake up eventually. So let's tie him up good, and gag him too. Let's see if he's got a spellbook..."

Daiya rummages through the unconscious wizard's pockets and belongings, adding his weapons and spellbook, if any, to the pile of captured gear.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang tensed for a moment when Hellscurvy said there's no place for Cloudreavers on his ship, but when no motion was made to kill or throw them into the sea he relaxed again. "Hellscurvy, Sorrowbringer... Who's next, Killjoy Widowmaker?" he muttered, only halfheartedly trying not to be heard.

While they were preparing for departure, he approached the new captain and handed him a Sending Stone, explaining the workings. "25 words or less. Contact Thraxis, tell him we come and ask how best we can find him." He then sat down, morosely reflecting on this journey taking longer than usual, but that wasn't his only source of discomfort. Was he a pirate now? Or could he perhaps skate by on the ship they seized having belonged to proper pirates before?

Drasil sat down beside him, giving him a strange look as she could feel his apprehension, but not grasp the reasons behind it.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

Sorrowbringer smirks, leaning back against the rail. "It is tradition, from long before Rygar raised his flag at Thronehold. A captain must have a... suitable name. Thus, we keep our given name, but add a new one; the latter is how we know each other."

Damog activates the stone with a slow wave. "Thraxis, you great loon! You've got friends coming for you. Five days, it be, so stay near young Jukkeam. You is still with that crew, yes?" After a minute, he shakes his head. "And little he has to say to me in return. It must be that there's someone watching him. But my friend hears from his son that he is still with all his old crewmates, so find him and you finds the gnome."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Daiya likewise is uneasy at the prospect of throwing their prisoners off the boat, but relaxes when it doesn't happen.

As the crew gets them underway, she settles down to get some rest and tend her wounds. The arrow that had teleported her so abruptly is a mere flesh wound in her arm, which she removes and cleans, and the giant's crushing grip had done little but bruise her; unpleasant but she would recover. Once satisfied that she had no serious injuries, she takes three of the pearls they had gotten for use in identifying items and determines the uses of the amulet, cloak, and ring. The rest would have to wait until they had more ready supplies.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have the pearls listed on my character sheet, so whoever does go ahead and mark off the three used for our new protection items.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

'Thunderbreaker' would actually be a rather decent name for a pirate captain Grimmgang reflected; not that it mattered, he wanted to have all this island hopping behind him as soon as possible.

"I see. Well, if you know anything more about this Jukkeam fellow let us know. Would be useful to have an idea what he looks like for one." He settled down idly, preparing for a long ride.

Spoiler
    Show
    if they keep the prisoners in a cabin I can place an Alarm on the door for during the time I sleep.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Troll in the Playground

"Shall I take custody of our prisoners for the remainder of the journey?" Shard asked. "It would be no trouble to watch them..."

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, he's a young lad o' fifteen. Probably on the skinny side by now, but I reckon everyone in there will be. Eehh, blond hair, pretty face, think I heard? He'll be expecting you, anyhow, so just follow the map to the right cell and he'll probably find you."

The prisoners give you no trouble during the journey; although Sorrowbringer seems to amuse herself by slipping any knots you can tie, she doesn't bother trying to escape. The weather, while rather blustery, never gets truly bad, and on the sixth morning, you sight Cape Far up ahead, with the prison isle situated off its tip. A dark fog cloaks the area, the air growing heavy and oppressive as a single iron tower becomes visible through the mist. Doc Grimm calls you below, where four large crates have had enough space for a person cleared from the supplies within.

"Alrighty, it's sneaky time. The captain's doing his thing up top; we'll have you packed in here, and once you're in to wherever they keep their food and whatnot, you can jump out and get to Jukkeam. They won't carry you that far; no sense in keeping backbreakers where you've got to haul them a mile before you put them down. You've got the map, you've got your tools, so there's just one last problem." The doctor taps Shard on the chest with the back of one hand.

"You're way too heavy, mate. Realized it when I was tossing these sacks out; grain weighs a lot, but not that much. If they balk and take a look inside, or worse, drop you outright, might give away the game. So's I figure, we've got maybe twenty, thirty minutes before we get in there; you lot got any fancy spells you can work up to make him lighter?"
    Last edited by Sallera; 2013-02-14 at 11:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Troll in the Playground

"Well there is this draught of gas-ee-us form." Shard replied, pronouncing the word without the usual shh sound.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

Facing the prospect of five days' forced idleness Grimmgang found a small measure of activity in trying out different knots on the slippery hobgoblin. Squaring off against a competent escape artist was a good way to practice, and they may not always have the luxury of not having to worry about their prisoner escaping.

The discussion on the treatment of prisoners evidently aroused some old memories, and upon waking he nursed a phantom pain on his lower lip, where Bulwin had hit him with the leg of the table. Grimmgang had thrown the first punch, and he well could have been hanged for assaulting a superior officer if Bulwin decided to press the matter instead of only delivering a sound beating. It was not how Grimmgang had imagined his first active duty reconnaissance to go, but then again he worked on the assumption reconnaissance doesn't include breaking a peasant girl's fingers to make her talk about the numbers and destination of passing troops.

Once he had donned his armor he went on deck, surveying the dreaded structure protruding from the mist. If it wasn't for the chance of fighting House Kundarak he might have welcomed to go ashore even on this island of all places. But as it was, he just wanted to have both the prison break and journey back over with soon as possible.

"So soon as they set us down and no more footsteps can be heard we wait another five minutes, then we get back out and see where things go from there. You're prepared for quick departure if we're coming in hot?"
    He took a look at Xaxhan. "Brought our little dress-up stuff?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Once per day
    Use Rope - (1d20+15)[30]
    Use Rope - (1d20+15)[25]
    Use Rope - (1d20+15)[19]
    Use Rope - (1d20+15)[20]
    Use Rope - (1d20+15)[34]
    +2 silk rope, +10 binding advantage.

Does the module feature an illustration of the mentioned map?
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-02-15 at 02:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't have any magic that will make the Shard lighter myself. We could maybe make him invisible and pad his feet with rags to make him quieter. Or...Xaxhan, do you have any tricks that could make him more...fleshy? Human, dwarf, even ogres probably weigh less. Though perhaps not enough less that he'd pass for a sack of grain."

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaxhan wondered what name the Lhaazar pirates might append to him should he chose the profession of captain. Sure, he had only minimal experience as a seaman, but as far as he was concerned, the real requirement was panache, and the Seren had that in spades. "Warsong." No, no, "Icingdeath?" Bah, that sounds like someone who poisons his enemies with pastry. He pondered such questions with a seriousness that would have been comical, had anyone guessed his thoughts.

Xaxhan spends much of the trip preparing the costumes he and his comrades will be wearing, making sure that the insignia looks just right. The rest of the time, he converses with the pirates, gauging their goals and interests. Could they be transformed into an army capable of conquering the Principalities? Only time would tell.

The bard came above decks as his companions were discussing the battle plan. "I do indeed have our disguises, and they should serve well enough to convince our foes that we're from the Emerald Claw, or at least that we're not Grimmgang the dwarf, Daiya the blind sworsman... er, woman, and Xaxhan the impossibly handsome." He showed his friends his handiwork, donning the half-helm and making a preposterous face- his nose wrinkled, eyes screwed up, and tongue jutting forth. "As for Shard, I haven't any means of making him lighter myself, but that potion should serve nicely. In fact, it's a simple enough matter to make it seem as though one of us has summoned him. The Claw is known to employ undead, so we simply pretend to have summoned some sort of horrible crystalline demon. I doubt anyone at Dreadhold is clever enough to know the difference, anyway. Sound good?"

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

"So, what, it lit'rally turns you into gas? Can't beat that kinda solution. Guess I'll need to toss out a few more sacks to fit the dog... thing, though. What is that, anyway?" His conversation apparently idle, Doc Grimm clears out space in another crate for Drasil as the light above dims to a flicker.

"Ah, we're into the sea cave, I see," he says, glancing up through the hatch. "Right tiny in here, innit? Hope we don't knock the mast off, although I guess if the Cloudreavers can make it through, so can we."

As the rock ceiling overhead fades into a larger, better-lit cavern, he gestures silently to the crates, replacing and securing the tops after you climb (or ooze) into your assigned spaces. Cushioned by sacks of grain, the ride out of the ship as each crate is lifted by a dock crane is not entirely uncomfortable, but Doc Grimm was apparently selective in which crates he made use of, and the glimpses of the dock area you catch through a few well-placed cracks in the wood are less than reassuring. A few dwarves can be seen manning the docks, and a hulking ogre is dealing with the offloaded goods, but the more noticeable concern is the massive ballista aimed directly at the ship - and loaded. The Cloudreavers, it seems, may be clandestine business partners, but they are not trusted ones.

Those few glimpses are all you get for the moment, however, as the crates are quickly moved along to a nearby holding cell. Sacks, barrels, and boxes are currently its only inhabitants, as far as you can tell from your limited view of the room, but there are definitely at least two guards outside the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's no picture of the map, sorry. It's basically a list of directions, turns, and counts of steps from the dock, with a single obvious landmark mentioned (the forge).

I'd forgotten the silk rope bonus; you actually managed to get Sorrowbringer with that last one, so she'll still be tied up when you get back. ^^

The potion has worn off by the time you're reasonably sure the unloading is finished, although it lasted long enough to get you into the cell.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2013-02-18 at 12:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Titan in the Playground

"She's the memento of a lost comrade. Some sort of nature spirit in a shell of living wood... He could have explained it better. Point is, she got a mean bite and is a nice low-maintenance companion, what with requiring no potty training."

Once they were alone in the storage room he silently pushed off the top of the crate, freeing Drasil from hers as the others assembled. "I'll check the door. Keep quiet. If it's a Kundarak, knock them out. A Cloudreaver, do whatever the hell you want." He flexed his limbs to relax after the immobility in a confined space and adjusted the halfhelm a bit to increase his field of vision, then moved to check the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess the DFI damage can't be converted to nonlethal with the usual -4 penalty?

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

Keeping below the guards' field of vision, Grimmgang can see the tips of two helms through the door's tiny window; both are of dwarven height, and the uniformity suggests Kundarak guards over Cloudreavers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, that stuff's lethal no matter where you apply it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang raised two fingers and signaled the others to move over. He gave everyone a last, warning look and once everyone signaled their readiness he threw the door open.

Spoiler
    Show
    well then, whenever you are ready guys

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Ogre in the Playground

As the trip neared its end, Daiya sent a report to Mattias that they were well, inquiring about the status of his intelligence.

The next morning, she awoke with her magic fully prepared to storm Dreadhold. After they safely arrived in the room, she climbed quietly out of her crate as well, joining Grimmgang at the door and extending her own senses out to see if she can detect any others there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Checking via tremorsense and
    (1d20+17)[20] Listen to see if I notice any others.

Readying to Hold Person on Kundarak, or Enervation on Cloudreaver.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Troll in the Playground

Shard exited the crate as carefully as it could, managing to minimize it's tinkling and clanking. With sword at ready, it awaited the moment of action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on stealth rolls for Shard.

Buffs activated: Force Screen and Protection from Evil

Note: AC 28 but 26 vs. neutral or good enemies, of whom I am sure many of the Khundarak will be.

Rolling for maneuvers:

(1d5)[5] Crusader's Strike
    (1d4)[3] Stone Bones
    (1d3)[1] Vanguard Strike
    (1d2)[2] Mountain Hammer
    Shield Block
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-02-18 at 05:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei