New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Drasil is such a beast right now! Confirmation (1d20+9)[17] extra damage (1d6+3)[9]

Hmm don't think that's a hit, shame.
    Last edited by FuryOfMetal; 2011-01-26 at 05:17 PM.
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now there's a foe I don't believe I've encountered before." Daiya murmurs from inside her cloud.

Spoiler
    Show
    My cloud is still up right? I've lost track of rounds. Anyhow, I'm going to run for cover if it isn't, and if it is stay where I am, then call down a lightning bolt on the dracotaur.

(3d6)[13]
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

The dracotaur's lashing tail keeps Trunk from closing effectively, and it leans back with calculated precision, smirking as well as a creature without lips can as the claw swishes harmlessly through the air half an inch in front of its chest. Its self-absorbed delight is short-lived, however, as Drasil tears one of its front legs open and it falls heavily to one knee. Losing the use of a limb does not hamper it as well as it might a bipedal creature, and it attacks Grimmgang with a broad sweep of its spear, before snapping at Drasil and leaning heavily onto its unwounded side, whipping its tail around to club her away while simultaneously flicking Grimmgang's axe aside with a claw. Even Daiya's bolt of lightning manages only to singe its already damaged leg. Shard's defensive wall doesn't falter, despite both combatants drawing blood or essence, and it plants its feet firmly, striking straight ahead with a precisely defined thrust of the massive blade. Responding in kind, the blackscale takes advantage of Shard's immobile stance with a spinning strike of its club.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO on Trunk: (1d20-1)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[10]

Attack on Grimmgang: (1d20+9)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[15]

Attack on Drasil: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9]
    Attack on Drasil: (1d20+3)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[17]

Shard's Stone Bones: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]

Attack on Shard: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: (2d8+6)[12]
    Attack on Shard: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

With Drasil maiming one of the Dracotaurs legs, Grimmgang seized the opportunity to approach his enemies flank. With the creature leaning sideways because of it's injury, the dwarf lept into the air to slam his axe viciously down onto the Dracotaurs spine.

Spoiler
    Show
    tumble to C1, flanking with Trunk
    edit: and promptly forgetting flanking bonus

Mountain Hammer
    Dwarven Waraxe - (1d20+8)[18]
    Slashing damage - (1d10+4)[8] + Maneuver damage - (2d6)[8] + Skirmish damage - (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-01-31 at 08:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

"Urgh, I can still feel that poison. I think I'm getting dizzy. We'd better finish this quickly." Daiya calls down yet another bolt of lightning, this time trying to impair the blackscale's support, and then she draws one of the vials of Alchemist's Fire from her belt, cocking her arm to strike the dracotaur.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

6. - Top - End - #216

With one leg battered and broken, Trunk attacks the other. If they could bring it down to their level, Grimmgang could perform a killing blow with his axe. Surrounded, the Dracotaur continues to take hits from all directions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trunks full attack
    (1d20+8)[23] (1d6+3)[5]
    (1d20+8)[17] (1d6+3)[4]
    (1d20+3)[22] (1d4+1)[5]

Drasil
    (1d20+7)[9]
    (1d6+3)[4]

Player Registry

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey! Looks like I'll be jumping back in...can't find the ooc thread so if someone can post the link and the one to the pc thread I'd be much obliged...

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Right here. You're up, so feel free to take your turn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So going through it looks like all that's happened to Shard since I've been away has been that he spent 2 more power points (in futility, mostly, though I would like to point out that the first time he hit it was a threat which was never confirmed and he did heal max hp to Grimmgang with his Crusader Strike. ), and he has taken a total of 3 points of damage so far total.

I'm not sure how many rounds it's been or where my maneuvers are at so for simplicity sake I'm going to reset and roll for my first two maneuvers:

(1d5)[1]
    (1d5)[4]
    (1d5)[2] and an extra in case one is a duplicate...

Edit: So Crusader Strike and Charging Minotaur

Using Knowledge Devotion to try and gain some leverage on these things...

(1d20+7)[15] Yay! Bare minimum for a +1 to hit and damage!

and let's do an Attack roll (I'm not sure which square I'm in since the map has been down, whichever one I'm currently engaged with and Shard won't move so...

(1d20+5)[12] (Too bad I lost my Steely Resolve already...)
    In case it's a threat: (1d20+5)[11]

Um...not even. What? My BAB is +2 At least I can tank like a mofo. Yeah...my job for awhile is going to be to draw fire, not get hurt and heal you guys.

And damage: (2d6+4)[10]

Shard looked to the light within for aid. The illumination gifted him it knowledge of these children of night.

Strengthened with holy purpose, Shard swung, but the large creature was quicker than the pondering man of mineral and it landed wide. Still it's foe was hampered. So long as the beast remained engaged here, it would not be a threat to Shard's companions. Inwardly however, Shard worried about Daiya. She had been rather grievously injured by the dusklings poison and it could take quite some time before she would be at full strength.

Returning from it's thoughts, Shard prepared for the inevitable blow...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-02-05 at 06:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Trunk's assault overwhelms the dracotaur, knocking it backward into Grimmgang's life-severing axeblow. Shard's blow is easily turned aside, but the blackscale's wings cannot offer enough protection to save it from Daiya's bolt of lightning, and it, too, falls to the ground. The clearing falls silent for a minute as Daiya's cloud fades, the temple's strike force having fared little better than its scouts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shard has taken 7 damage, actually; 3 from the attack and 4 from the fire splash damage. The crit confirm roll wasn't missed, just done in OOC. And I believe your wand should have had two charges used from before, one for Drasil and one for Trunk.

Secondary poison for Daiya: DC16 fort or (1d6)[2] con damage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Unles I'm mistaken Shard's DR works against fire damage. I'll take 2 charges off the wand.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang breathed heavily, bleeding from multiple smaller wounds and a deeper one caused by the dracotaurs spear. Taking a welcome moment of respite, he touched one of the moonstones on his belt, concentrating for an instant to let the items regenerative energy flow into him.
    Seeing no new enemies arriving from the temple, he gave a deep grumble of relief and made sure that none of their enemies would be getting up again, splitting heads where he suspected any life remaining. While he went after his unsavory buisness, he asked "Daiya, can you still sense that poison dusk that tailed it? For all we know, he is their last tracker, so he could mean the difference between a healthy nights rest and a midnight raid. We should take him out if at all possible." In their time together, the dward had developed a deep appreciation for the blind womans unreckoned awareness. During the train travel he even put it to the test multiple times, trying to sneak up on her; not out of malice or trickery, but because an understanding of his companions abilities was vital to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry for only mentioning that in a flashback, could have been an interesting situation to roleplay. But it fits the character

Healing Belt, 1 charge - (2d8)[8]
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-02-06 at 06:21 AM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I almost wish we had had an opportunity roleplay some of the journey. How long do you reckon it took us from being hired, to the train, and on the boat, until we got to QBarra?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    about a week

While there could have been interesting situations, it works well for me how we did it. Grimmgang would've been gruff and unpleasant company, but now he'll slowly open up to the others after they acquired his trust by working together well in battle

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    DR only works against physical attacks, not energy damage.

Daiya, the last you heard of the lizardfolk, it was headed east away from the battle, but you can't sense it anywhere nearby right now.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-02-06 at 07:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh...I didn't realize that. I suppose it makes sense though, since that is what energy resistance is for. Okay I'll mark them off.

17. - Top - End - #227

Spoiler
    Show
    I personally forgot that wooden warforged have DR2/slashing until the last few rounds. Instead of backtracking through every round and recalculating my health I just implemented it from then on. Which makes me think, does this DR continue into wildshape? Also, begin search for PHAT LEWTStm

Recovering from the vicious moments of battle, Trunk never the less doesn't drop his shield of light or return to his more vulnerable form. There could be more, hiding outside of Daiya's sight, waiting to ambush them as they relaxed. Turning away from Grimmgangs necessary work, Trunk looks into the huts a few feet away and then into those on the other side of the clearing that they'd purged of enemies.

Player Registry

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude Save (1d20)[18]

Daiya pales momentarily, panting, then seems to shake off the effects of the poison in her veins.

"The little one? He escaped. Went that way," Daiya gestures to east, indicating where the blackscale ran to. "Here now, let's see if they have anything magical on them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Using my Sense Magic ability to pinpoint and collect all the magical items on the fallen enemies.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2011-02-06 at 10:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Trunk finds nothing in the huts, but a search of the corpses turns up an assortment of jewelery with draconic motifs. Daiya manages to locate three potions of unknown use.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Shard's stance straightens from its crouched blocking position. Now that the sounds of battle have died down the soft ghostly sounds of its movement can be heard once more.

"Such Darkness in these ones. Why have they turned from the light?"

Shard sidesteps, narrowly missing a gout of blood that spits through the air as Grimmgang buries his blade into a faintly twitching blackscale body.

It approaches Daiya, resting a surprisingly warm hand upon her shoulder.

"My friend you are not well, I am concerned. It seems as though we must track down the escaped sentry. I will accompany you."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-02-07 at 05:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry Tekhed, missed your post there. You sure Shard should go on the hunting? He's too easily noticed I think. Daiya and Grimm have the best senses, so I guess they should go

Grimmgang nodded at Daiya. "I'll see if I can track him down, give me some minutes."
    He entered the edge of the jungle, covering his body with the green cloak over his shoulders. He backtracked through the thick undergrowth in a half-circle until he arrived south of the huts where the lizard had retreated to until he found a trail to follow. The poison dusks were adept at hiding, but like everything else they left subtle clues and he had come to recognize the hints of their smell; the bitter taste of their toadstool venom and their scales that had a slight smell reminiscent of rotten cinnamon when wet. Carefully skulking between the trees, he tried to sneak up on his enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, that with the smell was made up, no idea what lizards are supposed so smell like

Hide and Move Silently take 10 for 21 each, not counting terrain penalties/boni

I'll try to find him with Scent or passive Spot - (1d20+8)[21]
    If I find a trail of him instead, follow it Survival - (1d20+8)[11] hm... well, assuming the ground is not hard and including +1 DC for small that would narrowly succeed, though there may be other modifiers I'm missing. why didn't I think of taking 10...
    I can also use Scent to track if survival fails

Edit:
    Before leaving, Grimmgang spared a glance at the toadstool the lizards used to poison their arrows. "Trunk, your kind is immune to poison, right? Take that thing, it could be useful."

Spoiler
    Show
    that wasn't a command, Grimmgang just doesn't know when to say please. Course, you're free to misunderstand his language as trying to give orders to the rest of the party. Go go intra-group conflict
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2011-02-07 at 11:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Grimmgang manages to follow the lizardfolk's scent, catching traces of its passage that take him on a wide circle around the battlefield, leaving the tree cover near the temple entrance. From the direction it was traveling, the creature was likely heading inside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Cursing under his breath, Grimmgang backtracked the way he came. His profanity-ridden muttering was audible to the others before any other sign of him was noticable until he emerged from a piece of jungle where moments ago there seemed to be nothing except trees, dirt and bushes.

"He tailed it into the temple", the dwarf reported while readjusting his cloak and brushing some stray leaves from his shoulders. He leaned with his back against one of the huts, sighing. "They may try to track us to make a raid while we're resting. When we retreat to our hideout one of you has to lead, I'll try to cover our tracks and lay some false ones."
    He made about collecting the weapons he judged as valuable. Anything else, he smashed with powerful blows of his axe so they couldn't be collected and used by the remaining lizards. He clearly had some steam to blow off.

Spoiler
    Show
    if no one looted the weapons and armor yet, I'll stash anything of masterwork quality.
    Any normal weapons will get smashed with Mountain Hammer.

I'll also collect some more poisoned arrows; or does the poison go bad over time?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

The poison dusks' weapons and the dracotaur's massive pike appear to be of fine make, although the latter's practicality is somewhat questionable. As far as you can tell, the remaining six poisoned arrows from the archers' quivers are similar to the ones used by the poison dusks on the path, and still useable, but the ones soaking in the toadstools are somewhat different - uncured, perhaps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #235

At the first oppurtunity that everybody is in the local vicinity, Trunk casts a large healing enchantment to bring everybody back to full working order.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know much about poisoncraft but we could...cook them? well, Shard can as he's immune to poison.

Also everybody gains 15hp from mass lesser vigor because we might aswell.

Also lets knowledge nature this toadstall for...no reason! (1d20+13)[26]

Player Registry

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't call it no reason. Market price of spotted toadstool is 350 GP per dose, if we figure ot how to weaponize the raw stuff we're in for a treat. Not to mention that using it in the upcoming fights could give us an edge against what's in the temple. 1d6 strength, DC 16 is a nice debuff for blackscales and the like

27. - Top - End - #237

In which case there is very much a reason. I doubt my knowledge nature could tell us also how to prepare it. Also I believe there's craft: poisonmaking for that anyway. I think that we should try and introduce the mushrooms to my wooden body and create our own poison farm...If we can't properly prepare the mushroom we could always try and sneakily make them ingest it raw, somehow...

Player Registry

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Trunk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The spotted toadstool is a relatively rare giant fungus that usually grows from one to two feet high. The wide cap is edible, albeit extremely foul-tasting, but the core of black spores clustered around the top of the stem contains the toxin from which the poison is derived, and can also be dangerous if inhaled, although they are not always in a state of release. There is a method for concentrating the toxin into a useable form, but it is not widely known, and mostly practiced by jungle dwellers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #239

Spoiler
    Show
    If we have no use for it we could trade it to those lizardfolk we met on the way, or worm the knowledge of how to do it from any prisoners we find or take.

Player Registry

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    speaking of prisoners, I hope he's still there

sounds like a plan. Well, the poison dusks simply stuck their arrows in the toadstool instead of extracting poison, so I guess if you don't cut it up anything stuck into it over a longer time absorbs the poison

if we manage to extract poison somehow, I have two empty vials from the antidotes I used

When Trunks magic slowly mended his wounds, Grimmgang nodded thankfully to his companion. "So, should we retire for the day? Our ressources are taxed and we lost the surprise element. Maybe it's better to attack the temple tomorrow, rested and prepared.