New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Homebrew system has balancing issues, need advice.

I attempted to run a homebrewed three skill system, and I have realized there are severe balancing issues. The system is based around ideas from D20, but removed and simplified many of the stats. The stats that remain are strength, intellect, and dexterity, as I believe that all other skills stem from these.

To calculate attacks, I have been using the equation Damage = (Roll x Strength or intelligence) + Dexterity + Weapon/spell stats + Any other modifiers or buffs. All roles use 4D6, with few exceptions. This system causes strong attacks, but enemies have more HP to compensate. Players have significantly less Hp, which is calculated as triple their dexterity.

I then realized enemies were extremely overpowered, and as a temporary rules patch had them use the same system, but divide their attack damage by 100.

There are two big issues I ran into using the system. First, there is almost no differentiation between using magic or normal combat attacks, except your limited in how many magic attacks you can do. Secondly, enemies have almost no damage differentiation, and unless they roll extremely high or have ridiculous stats, they will always hit for the same damage.

So, I am looking for a way to change the system to: Make a way to fairly seperate magic from melee, and allow for fair damage differentiation from enemies

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew system has balancing issues, need advice.

Damage = (4d6 x Strength or intelligence) + Dexterity + Weapon/spell stats + Any other modifiers or buffs.

HP = 3 * Dexterity

--

Questions:

What are the average, minimum, and maximum that are you seeing in play for these stats.

What are the following currently? "Weapon/spell stats + Any other modifiers or buffs."

--

Points of Concern:

HP scale linerally with a stat while damage scales linerally with the same stat, meaning that if a creature wants to survive longer, it will also do longer, meaning the idea of fast-hit brutes without many HPs is harder to make.

4d6 * Str or Int means an average difference of 14 damage per stat bonus. A bonus in dexterity only gives 6 hp to compensate. This is the main problem you currently have.
    On balance: Just because you don't agree with the level of balance doesn't mean that others cannot. While balance is objective, which balance is being aimed at is subjective.

DnD-Wiki (a place to store your homebrew) (is not DandDWiki) | My Homebrew |
    IRC: #dnd & #havvy | 5 Color Alignment | Why can't https:// links ever work around here?