New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    OK, I don't know Exalted well so bear with me.

What is the Great Curse? What does it actually do? I know the Primordials put it on the Exalted as revenge for overthrowing them, and it makes Solars have tragic flaws, Sidereals have BEST IDEAS EVER when they get together in groups, and Lunars have... poor self-control, I think. Is it more complicated than that, has its specific wording been spelled out anywhere, and does it affect Alchemicals, Dragon-Blooded, and Abyssals? I assume it doesn't apply to Infernals because they serve the Primordials.
    Mechanically, the Great Curse is Limit. In the First Age, Solars fell into the trap of thinking everything they did was right, even while under the influence of their Limit flaw. And it just kept getting worse, since they weren't accountable to anyone.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Mechanically, the Great Curse is Limit. In the First Age, Solars fell into the trap of thinking everything they did was right, even while under the influence of their Limit flaw. And it just kept getting worse, since they weren't accountable to anyone.
    Sidereals and Terrestrials don't suffer Limit, but they still suffer the Great Curse - Sidereals are cursed to massive displays of hubris, especially when they gather in large numbers, and Terrestrials tend towards excesses of emotion.

Neither of these have any mechanical effect because they're the weakest of the curse - most Neverborn were killed by Solars and Lunars, after all.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Sidereals and Terrestrials don't suffer Limit, but they still suffer the Great Curse - Sidereals are cursed to massive displays of hubris, especially when they gather in large numbers, and Terrestrials tend towards excesses of emotion.
    Sidereals and Terrestrials do suffer Limit. It's just that the equivalent of a Limit Break condition for Sidereals (like full moon light for Lunars) comes up very rarely for Sidereals, so they gain Limit only very slowly, while such a condition does not exist for Terrestrials. They still gain Limit from suppressing their primary Virtue or spending Willpower to resist unnatural mental influence, and still have Limit Break when they have 10 points of Limit.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, thanks. I thought the Curse's effect on Sidereals was more overreaction than hubris ("Clearly, we need to overthrow the Solars!" "The only reasonable response to this situation is to release the Kukla!"), but hubris makes sense. And all I knew about Limit was that it exists and creates Limit Breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Sidereal plans tend to get more insane the more Sids are around making the plan. Get all hundred together, and, well...

Not all hundred planned the Usurpation, you know. Some of them disagreed and didn't participate.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Sidereal plans tend to get more insane the more Sids are around making the plan. Get all hundred together, and, well...

Not all hundred planned the Usurpation, you know. Some of them disagreed and didn't participate.
    Yeah, but they were all involved in the discussion group, and all it requires for the "gets worse the more there are" is their proximity anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a question: how would you build Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2 and Kratos from God of War series?

Also, while you're at it, include Nero and Dante from Devil May Cry and Bayonetta from, well, Bayonetta.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Here's a question: how would you build Kratos from God of War series?
    I'd say Dawn Caste Solar. They already have his weapon of choice, the Blades of Chaos, in the form of the Chain Daiklave (Scroll of the Monk) if you dual-wield two of them. So, he'll need four background points for that.

Other than that, you just want some Melee (definitely Peony Blossom and Iron Whirlwind, as he has an exact approximation of these charms in the 'Cyclone of Chaos' attack), Resistance, and a few Dodge and Presence charms. Max out his physical stats and Wits, with above-average Charisma. He can dump pretty much everything else.

If you really wanted to, you could also throw in Glory to the Most High (Glories of the Most High: Unconquered Sun) as a Rage of the Gods/Rage of the Titans/Rage of Sparta mechanic.

EDIT: Also, 1 Compassion, 5 Conviction, 1 Temperance, 5 Valor; what can I say, he min/maxed himself. Probably Foolhardy Contempt or Heart of Flint as his virtue flaw.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2010-10-16 at 01:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I'd say Dawn Caste Solar.
    See, I was thinking a Slayer with Infernal Monster Style, because he seems pretty liberal with the whole bloody murder and ripping people apart into two thing.
    I use black for sarcasm.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    See, I was thinking a Slayer with Infernal Monster Style, because he seems pretty liberal with the whole bloody murder and ripping people apart into two thing.
    Kratos strikes me as more Solar than Infernal. Plus, Solars can learn Infernal Monster Style, so why not? I do agree he could benefit from World-Breaker Grip and Hero-Sundering Hands.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Ezio I'm not completely sure, having never really played the games. But at a glance, I'd guess Night caste with Social skills as a secondary and a high perception with awareness charms.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Guys! I have a very complex question!

Some of you may recognize this as one of my earlier ideas that never panned out, but after discussing Exalted in modern Earth with a friend, I really want to come back to this. As such, I'm directly quoting what I posted on the White Wolf forums. Any references to White Wolf forums as such are not excised. But know that I love you very very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas
    Hi, me again, with yet another setting idea (I should really stop drinking too much cola).

Basically, it's an alternate Earth where the universe was created by sapient planets (read: Primordials) called the Precursors, then an advanced alien species created the plans for a fascinating technology called the Implants that gave lesser species extraordinary powers.

Come 22nd Century, humans find a space vessel that belonged to that species, with plans for Implants and other hi-tech toys inside, and start creating their own Implanted and start traveling across the space with Implant-tech weapons and superpowers.

I tried getting a PbP game based on this off once, but it didn't work out. So, here's some ideas I had from back then.

_/_/_/_/

SUBJECT: JOHN SMITH
    HEIGHT: 6' 3"
    WEIGHT: 206 LBS.
    OCCUPATION BEFORE IMPLANTATION: ALLIED PLANETS FLEET COMMANDER
    CURRENT HEART RATE: 162 BPM
    CURRENT BLOOD PRESSURE: 156 DIA / 92 SYS
    RELEASING BIOLOGICAL LOCKS
    HEART RATE AND BLOOD PRESSURE DROPPING
    STABILIZING...
    STABILIZING...
    STABILIZING...
    CURRENT HEART RATE: 45 BPM
    CURRENT BLOOD PRESSURE: 120 DIA / 75 SYS
    ALL BLOOD LEVELS WITHIN EXPECTED LEVELS
    PROTEAN IMPLANTED CREATION SUCCESSFUL

"Greetings, John Smith. Welcome to your new life."

_/_/_/_/

Forty Annis Stellarum have passed since the greatest discovery so far in human history. At the edges of the Solar system, a few million klicks beyond the orbit of Pluto, a vessel of extraterrestrial origin seemingly abandoned for fifty millennia was found by the nations of Earth. Upon examination, the vessel bore two advancements that propelled humanity towards by centuries. The first one was a viable method for FTL travel in interstellar distances. The second one was the process with which certain implants could be created that would increase human potential and capabilities to superlative levels. These people are called the Implanted, and this is their time.

Welcome to the Age of Ascension.

_/_/_/_/

This is a very early gauging interest thread, in that it might not even bear a game if deemed to be unsuccessful, so be careful actually showing interest.

However, if you do show interest, please feel free to bombard me with questions about the setting, since it is still a work in progress, and you might encourage me with your questions, and even allow me to flesh out something I hadn't considered before.

Basically, this is a mix between Mass Effect and Exalted. It allows for Solars, Lunars, Abyssals and Alchemicals as four types of "Implanted", and Terrestrials as people exposed to a substance called Empodeclium.

Themes and genres that you might find good reference points while asking questions are cyberpunk, Age of Exploration, space western and transhumanity.

Here are a few things to get you started.

1. There are three kinds of Implants that can be created. The oldest of them, and the most common, are known as the Primal Implants. The implants of Primals are modular, usually readily visible and often external. While they do not reach the power levels of the newer Implant types, Primals are still the most common kind of Implants, as well as possessed of a flexibility the others cannot quite match. The second-gen are called Protean Implants. They are capable of reaching extraordinary feats of physical, social and mental prowess by subtly or overtly altering their biological features, which also grants them the capability to polymorph into creatures they have consumed genetic data from. The third-gen implants create two kinds of Implanted. The expected results are called the Optimal Implants, as their implants raise their abilities to superlative levels, allowing them to perform Olympian tasks at their chosen fields. However, when something goes wrong in the creation process of an Optimal Implanted, the Implant-to-be enters a state between vitality and necrosis. The result are the Necrotic Implants, a dark mockery of the Optimal Implanted who are often as capable as Optimals, and exceeding even their capabilities in certain disturbing fields.

2. While technically not Implanted, those exposed to Empodeclium are granted certain capabilities that are beyond the human norm, and tend to be colloquially called Elemental Implanted. It is not known whether the manipulations within the metabolism of the Elementals are hereditary, but research is ongoing. Due to military and bureaucratic commitments, no known Elemental has borne or sired offspring yet.

3. While both the Implants and the FTL vessels in use are extraterrestrial in origin, there are no signs of extant extraterrestrial intelligent life forms in the parts of the Milky Way that are explored by humans. However, the percentage of the galaxy explored is still very low, and it is expected by most nations that first contact is inevitable. Whether it is peaceful or hostile, nobody can guess.

4. The societal role of the Implants depends on the individual Implant. Many are akin to Alchemicals in Autochthonia, content to serving non-Implanted humanity, but there is a considerable number of Implants who consider using their talents to elevate themselves above the rest, kept in check only by the power balance created by their less ambitious fellows. Still, most are simply living the dream of having bona fide superpowers, not committing themselves to a role within the society... yet.

5. Currently, there are fewer than 100000 Implants, with the majority being Primal Implanted and a roughly equal number of Elementals. The military of all interplanetary nations as well as several private corporations have the capability to produce Implants, given resources and candidates.

6. There are three main reasons why Implants aren't much more common.

a) Implantation is expensive. It can easily cripple the economy of a small Earth nation - especially the Optimal Implantation. Therefore, most Implants are the relatively cheaper and less powerful Primal Implants.

b) Implantation is dangerous. Even the hardiest of candidates can suffer from cardiac arrest, brain hemorrhage and other emergency medical problems during the process.

c) Implantation is selective. For a host to be successfully Implanted, he needs to be mentally and physically above the norm, or the Implant won't take hold. Scientists are trying to understand why this is and how everyone can be Implanted successfully, but so far without success.

7. While not necessarily military, most Implants work in governments, though by no means all. All bodies capable of producing Implants are legally bound to report the process to their government's military and science committee, even though it is not necessary to have the consent of either for Implantation. The only common exception are Necrotic Implants, which most private companies are not willing to admit to having created. While technically possible for such companies to "forget" to report a successful Implantation, the legal repercussions tend to prevent such cases from being common.

8. Due to the commonly accepted military methods of Earth before the discovery, creation of Implant-level Close Quarters Combat Forms are still in very early stages. The only exceptions are the "Implant Hero" Styles, Gyro Chakram Assault Techniques and the Live Wire Elimination Forms.

_/_/_/_/

So, I ask you: can we, the White Wolf forum, make this idea work?
    I use black for sarcasm.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, I would place Kratos as more of a Fire-Aspect Terrestrial. His power is inherited after all, and a Solar wins by sheer power, a Terrestrial (and Kratos in all his boss fights) has to work for it. And the Blades are supposed to be flaming weapons anyway. All of his powers are element-based in one way or another. The only really "Solar" thing he does is the Fleece, but it's not a perfect defense. I do see him as working towards Celestial martial arts though.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Actually, I would place Kratos as more of a Fire-Aspect Terrestrial. His power is inherited after all, and a Solar wins by sheer power, a Terrestrial (and Kratos in all his boss fights) has to work for it. And the Blades are supposed to be flaming weapons anyway. All of his powers are element-based in one way or another. The only really "Solar" thing he does is the Fleece, but it's not a perfect defense. I do see him as working towards Celestial martial arts though.
    If we were placing him in a 'type' based on some kind of transparency between the settings, he'd be a Godblooded, as his power comes from being Half-God, the Golden Fleece would be an Artifact, and his special abilities beyond superhuman strength, toughness, and martial prowess would all be boons granted to him by other entities (or just more Artifacts), and not inherent charms or abilities of his own.

And I'm not sure what you mean by Solars not having to work for things? If I recall correctly, they all fought, died, reincarnated, fought, and died again in a cycle of frustrating carnage for hundreds of years to defeat the Primordials. I would call this work.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

On Thee Natturre of Thee Allkemikally Ecksalted: Ae Treeateese:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WHY ARE THERE NO RULES FOR PLAYING AS A CITY YET /rage.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    On Thee Natturre of Thee Allkemikally Ecksalted: Ae Treeateese:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WHY ARE THERE NO RULES FOR PLAYING AS A CITY YET /rage.
    Wait for Compass: Autobot. Then complain when it's not there.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe because its tricky to figure out how a city would be able to use certain charms. Like any kind of perfect dodge. Or Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations, though I think Las Vegas can do that as a reflexive action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe because its tricky to figure out how a city would be able to use certain charms. Like any kind of perfect dodge. Or Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations, though I think Las Vegas can do that as a reflexive action.
    I have trouble thinking about how a city would roll a simple Dexterity + Athletics roll.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

they'd obviously be cites made out of nano-robotics of course! it explains everything!
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

It mentions something about municipal charms, but i couldn't find them, so perhaps charms that affect everyone in the city to motivate defenders and the like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Aw man, y'know what would be hot? Alchemical Municipal charms with two parts. Normal Exalted Charm Effect + Special Mandate of Heaven Charm Effect.

Though, I was under the impression it was kind of moot anyway. Aren't there not going to be any more Exalted 2nd edition books after that Return of the Scarlet Empress thing that came out? Or is my information wrong (haven't looked into it much)?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

CoCD: Autobot is coming out in 3 sections iirc.
    Other than that, I think there was one more but I forget.
    Hopefully 3rd Edition will have less books, but more info in each.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wouldnt count on it, they wouldnt make much money that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, okay, cool. So maybe we'll actually get those Colossal and Municipal charms after all.

As far as 3rd edition goes, I'm all for just putting up a donation box and begging The Demented One to let us pay him to write a 3rd edition in his spare time.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

As far as 3rd edition goes, I'm all for just putting up a donation box and begging The Demented One to let us pay him to write a 3rd edition in his spare time.
    I'd fund that.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Alright, everyone, here's a list of all the Exalted games currently recruited, conveniently located right here:
    {table=head]Name|ST|Exalt Types|Description
    Empire in the Canyon|GryffonDurime|Solars, Lunars, Abyssals (PM ST for others)|Nation-building the Empire of Wyrwane.
    The Dark Knights|Neon Knight|Solars, Lunars|Celestials protecting the Scarlet Empire
    The Scarlet Dawn|The Rose Dragon|Celestials and Terrestrials|Scarlet Empress returns. [/table]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, everyone, here's a list of all the Exalted games currently recruited, conveniently located right here:
    I'm always a little sad when I see a new Exalted game pop up in the pbp forum. I like Exalted (definitely in my top 5 systems), but I've tried pbp formats for many games over the years, and found it, at the very least, frustrating.

Although, if someone were to run something IM or voice based over Skype, I'd be all over that.

...hint hint

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

I'm always a little sad when I see a new Exalted game pop up in the pbp forum. I like Exalted (definitely in my top 5 systems), but I've tried pbp formats for many games over the years, and found it, at the very least, frustrating.

Although, if someone were to run something IM or voice based over Skype, I'd be all over that.

...hint hint
    I think GryffonDurime's is going to be here, IM, and Google Wave.
    We do have a thriving IM community though.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

I think GryffonDurime's is going to be here, IM, and Google Wave.
    We do have a thriving IM community though.
    Oooooo, that game looks interesting. And it's still accepting characters while it has thirteen prospectives? Hmmm...I may have to jump on that.

Good god, then the hardest part comes up. Dusting off the books and choosing what to play. That's one of the biggest problems with Exalted: too much awesome to pick from.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

I think he's closing submissions tomor- er, today. So, hurry!
    Last edited by Jokasti; 2010-10-17 at 02:18 AM.