New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Good god, then the hardest part comes up. Dusting off the books and choosing what to play. That's one of the biggest problems with Exalted: too much awesome to pick from.
    As they say, a random pick from a pile of pure awesome cannot be a bad choice.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

@Rose Dragon: It's an interesting idea, to be sure. But it raises an awful lot of questions.

The first one I come up with is how the heck do you explain iconic animas? I mean, lower displays can be handwaved as radiation as a side-effect of the implant's respiration. But patterned displays get funkier. Caste marks as well, for that matter.

Second, the elemental aspect aspect gets weird. Why on earth (or not) would the classical elements make such a strong showing?

Third, how do you handle limit? Resonance? There has to be some explanation, or you have to do away with them. If they're not there, then a huge amount of menace goes out the window, and since there's no reason (yet) for the primordials to be a threat and no real external dangers.

Fourth, longevity. With new guys coming online, exalted longevity will lead to a metric ton of solars down the line. Otherwise, people are either pretty much capped at essence 5 or you tweak training times and have instant funkiness.

Fifth, magical materials. How do you explain them, or do you just wish them away?

My gut says to say that the implants don't actually do anything themselves, but bring out other traits in their targets. Empodeclium is both a prime ingredient of the implant and a natural psionic booster, acting to awaken latent abilities based on the personality traits of those exposed. By itself it's fairly weak, but when refined and combined with other materials it boosts the yield tremendously, and allows greater control over the resulting mental phenomena. Unfortunately, this also enhances mental instability: more power = more enhancement = more crazy. Alchemicals don't get it because the enhancements aren't intrinsic to their brain, simply attached (leading to clarity/gremlin syndrome when they start overinvesting and actually treating their charms as part of who they are). Magical materials are then the chemical boosters + empodeclium alloyed with metals/plastics/whatever, so that the relevant psionic frequencies treat them as an extension of the mind and body. Iconic animas aren't actually there, but are a psionic manifestation spilling over into the minds of those nearby. It's about as soft science as you can get, but hey, it's exalted. We know MAGIC SCIENCE!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    Alright, everyone, here's a list of all the Exalted games currently recruited, conveniently located right here:
    {table=head]Name|ST|Exalt Types|Description
    Empire in the Canyon|GryffonDurime|Solars, Lunars, Abyssals (PM ST for others)|Nation-building the Empire of Wyrwane.
    The Dark Knights|Neon Knight|Solars, Lunars|Celestials protecting the Scarlet Empire
    The Scarlet Dawn|The Rose Dragon|Celestials and Terrestrials|Scarlet Empress returns. [/table]
    You missed Fall of the Realm, there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Maybe because its tricky to figure out how a city would be able to use certain charms. Like any kind of perfect dodge. Or Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations, though I think Las Vegas can do that as a reflexive action.
    Perfect Dodge is easy - city blinks out of existence for a moment as the barrages go past and the people climbing the walls fall to the ground, then reappears - while the attackers go "dude, what the hell just happened". A Municipal Perfect Dodge will probably cost a million essence, though, even if it exists .

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    The first one I come up with is how the heck do you explain iconic animas? I mean, lower displays can be handwaved as radiation as a side-effect of the implant's respiration. But patterned displays get funkier. Caste marks as well, for that matter.
    Basically, each Implant patterns itself differently on each Implanted, and they are highly inefficient when it comes to using their energy reserves. Certain displays tend to emerge based on the Implanted when too much energy is wasted, as it bleeds out into the surroundings in a brilliant light show.

Second, the elemental aspect aspect gets weird. Why on earth (or not) would the classical elements make such a strong showing?
    It's because of Empodeclium. It has several documented uses, several non-documented ones, and when it does not kill humans that are exposed to it, they get elemental superpowers. Due to ethics committees humanity-wide, you can't quite dissect these humans and see the differences that cause the superpowers.

Third, how do you handle limit? Resonance? There has to be some explanation, or you have to do away with them. If they're not there, then a huge amount of menace goes out the window, and since there's no reason (yet) for the primordials to be a threat and no real external dangers.
    Implants, over time, tend to enforce certain behavioral patterns by amplifying or subverting the native personality of the Implanted. Resonance is due to a subversion of the quantum patterns put in place across the universe by the species that created the Implants. Such minor glitches tend to accumulate, and when enough is tied to one Necrotic Implant, it reaches critical mass and causes unfortunate results.

Fourth, longevity. With new guys coming online, exalted longevity will lead to a metric ton of solars down the line. Otherwise, people are either pretty much capped at essence 5 or you tweak training times and have instant funkiness.
    It's been only 40 years since Implant technology was found, and 30 years since the first Implant was created. No one knows whether it has any effect on the life expectancies of Implants. As such, they cannot really base any theories on increased longevity. What is known, however, is that the oldest Implants tend to stay in their physical and mental prime for longer than non-Implanted.

Fifth, magical materials. How do you explain them, or do you just wish them away?
    Well, the most important thing about magical materials is that there is no known starmetal analogue. Ergo, there is no Starmetal Caste for Primal Implanted, either.

Orichalcum and SUPER!jade are both created by carefully balanced exposure of gold and jade to Empodeclium by the appropriate type of Implant. While it is technically possible for creation of orichalcum and SUPER!jade to be done by non-Implants, it would take too much work and time for it to be feasible.

Moonsilver cannot be created by humans and all extant moonsilver is mined or processed from colonized systems. It was originally found as the greatest percentage of the alien vessel, and is a bioreactive protean material that is classified as a metal simply due to its conductivity and its capacity to be forged.

Soulsteel is a psychoreactive organic material, and can currently only be forged from the remains of those who died from failed Implantation and fatal exposure to Empodeclium. Appropriately enough, Soulsteel Primal Implanted are very rare and still cause some friction from certain factions that are less than utilitarian in their views.

Adamant is a solidified alloy of mercury and titanium exposed to Empodeclium. Since it can be readily created by mortals, it is the most common kind of Primal Implanted as well as the majority of Implant-tech level arsenals and panoplies.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

I'm having a bit of an issue figuring out Mind Hand Manipulation in regards to Parry DV, if anyone would like to offer insight.

For the stats of Mind Hand Manipulation, it lists a Defense of (Willpower + Occult). The formula for calculating Parry Defense Value is 1/2(Dex + Attack Ability + Defense).

Earlier in the charm, it lists your effective Dexterity for purposes of the charm to be equal to your Willpower, and it lists the "associated ability to use this charm" as Occult.

Taken literally, this sounds like you'd calculate your Parry Defense Value as 1/2(Willpower + Occult + [Willpower + Occult]). Now, I know you aren't supposed to have a base PDV of 15 at Essence 2, so I must be misreading how this charm functions. How does it actually work?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    As they say, a random pick from a pile of pure awesome cannot be a bad choice.
    .....but picking everything in the awesome pile and making in advance a character for all the ideas you have is an better choice!
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm having a bit of an issue figuring out Mind Hand Manipulation in regards to Parry DV, if anyone would like to offer insight.

For the stats of Mind Hand Manipulation, it lists a Defense of (Willpower + Occult). The formula for calculating Parry Defense Value is 1/2(Dex + Attack Ability + Defense).

Earlier in the charm, it lists your effective Dexterity for purposes of the charm to be equal to your Willpower, and it lists the "associated ability to use this charm" as Occult.

Taken literally, this sounds like you'd calculate your Parry Defense Value as 1/2(Willpower + Occult + [Willpower + Occult]). Now, I know you aren't supposed to have a base PDV of 15 at Essence 2, so I must be misreading how this charm functions. How does it actually work?
    Go with 1/2 (Willpower + Occult), as that's what you can get past a sane Storyteller.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Go with 1/2 (Willpower + Occult), as that's what you can get past a sane Storyteller.
    That's what I was thinking. The more I read the charm over and over, it seemed like that was what was intended. I just wish they had spelled it out a bit more clearly.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what I was thinking. The more I read the charm over and over, it seemed like that was what was intended. I just wish they had spelled it out a bit more clearly.
    This is White Wolf we are talking about.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Someone should make some more Elemental supplements, and a special type of spherical Yasal Chrystal that only works on Elementals.
    Exalted Pokemon, anyone?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    Someone should make some more Elemental supplements, and a special type of spherical Yasal Chrystal that only works on Elementals.
    Exalted Pokemon, anyone?
    "I wanna be the very best, like Solars historically were..."
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Can I get some input on what Principle Invoking Onslaught is intended to accomplish with its Turn-Stuff-Into-Other-Stuff effect?

All it says is "transmutes her corpse to any other matter with a Resource value less than the Infernal's Essence". That seems way too open ended to me.

Assuming Essence 5,
    Can it turn a bunny into a Resource 4 bunny made of solid gold?
    Can it turn a bunny into a giant Resource 4 pipe organ?
    Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword?
    Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword that is Resource 4 by virtue of its ornate craftsmanship?
    Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4?
    Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4 that is already baptized in Vitriol?
    Can it turn a bunny into a blob of enough refined Vitriol to baptize an artifact (which happens to be Resource 4)?
    Can it turn a chair into all of the above?
    Can it turn a chair into a living bunny so rare that it's worth Resource 4?

This confuses me on par with Wyld Shaping Technique.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    "I wanna be the very best, like Solars historically were..."
    I lol'd.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2010-10-18 at 05:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

All it says is "transmutes her corpse to any other matter with a Resource value less than the Infernal's Essence". That seems way too open ended to me.
    Basically, instead of flesh, it becomes another kind of matter, like brass, glass or jade. So, you cannot create a chopping sword or piano without a ridiculous stunt - you can only create bunny statues if you attack a bunny.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I get some input on what Principle Invoking Onslaught is intended to accomplish with its Turn-Stuff-Into-Other-Stuff effect?

Assuming Essence 5,
    Can it turn a bunny into a Resource 4 bunny made of solid gold?
    Can it turn a bunny into a giant Resource 4 pipe organ?
    Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword?
    Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword that is Resource 4 by virtue of its ornate craftsmanship?
    Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4?
    Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4 that is already baptized in Vitriol?
    Can it turn a bunny into a blob of enough refined Vitriol to baptize an artifact (which happens to be Resource 4)?
    Can it turn a chair into all of the above?
    Can it turn a chair into a living bunny so rare that it's worth Resource 4?
    It creates raw materials, you still need Craft in order to turn them into something usefull.

Of course, you can just sell the raw materials for big bucks, but having big bucks isn't very useful most of the time.

EDIT: Bah, Night Caste.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2010-10-18 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

That clears stuff up mostly, but I still wonder if it only works on previously living flesh. I mean, if you kill a snake that has been tainted by the Wyld to be made of stone, can you still transmute it? And if you can, would you not be able to just transmute raw stone into raw other stuff?

And aside from that, I'm still not sure what the full scope of Wyld Shaping Technique/Wyld Cauldron is. I may have gotten in over my head with a Defiler character. My previous Exalted characters were a Zenith social-fu master, and a Slayer facebreaker, so this aspect of the game is all new to me.

I appreciate the patience and assistance.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

The full scope of the WST and WCT are "guh please no!" if you don't want to break your ST's mind. They are Charms the setting needs to work, but can easily overhaul a game with an ambitious player.

Other than that, they basically allow you to play god while in the Wyld. You may then be able to carry your creations into, well, Creation.
    I use black for sarcasm.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    The full scope of the WST and WCT are "guh please no!" if you don't want to break your ST's mind. They are Charms the setting needs to work, but can easily overhaul a game with an ambitious player.

Other than that, they basically allow you to play god while in the Wyld. You may then be able to carry your creations into, well, Creation.
    But what if you don't want to break the game, you just like the idea of playing primordial and making combination Brothel/Dance Dance Revolution Arcade/Jewish Delis out of the Wyld so you have a place for your circle to hang out on weekends?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Wait for the inevitable errata?

Seriously, though, I cannot help you. I haven't had much experience with WST that wasn't "oh gods put that Charm away before you put out one of the plot's eyes and / or kidneys".
    I use black for sarcasm.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, whenever we play Exalted, our characters tend to be dramatically weaker than seems normal here, even when Solars.

Anyway! One thing has bugged me about exalted for ages: Dual weilding. The only thing I'm aware of about dual weilding is that fire dragon blooded are good at it, and there are a couple charms that lessen the penalties for it. How on earth do you dual weild? What does it do?

This is second edition, if that helps.

(Should I make a new topic for this?)
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    Anyway! One thing has bugged me about exalted for ages: Dual weilding. The only thing I'm aware of about dual weilding is that fire dragon blooded are good at it, and there are a couple charms that lessen the penalties for it. How on earth do you dual weild? What does it do?
    If you have more than one weapon at hand, you can attack with both up to the total of their rate, taking flurry penalties according to the total number of attacks you made. Fire Dragon style reduces the penalties while wielding short daiklaves.
    I use black for sarcasm.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes some sense, but how does defense work with that?
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

You use the better of the two weapons. Dual Wielding is mostly a stylistic choice.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

You use the better of the two weapons. Dual Wielding is mostly a stylistic choice.
    Except for when you use that Solar charm to make a two swords out of Essence: one with max damage, and the other with max defense.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or, in much more of a corner case, it can also be make when you've got two different unique artifact weapons with synergistic effects.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

You use the weapon with +10 Defense for defending while smacking people with your one-handed Grand Goremaul.

Duh.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    You use the weapon with +10 Defense for defending while smacking people with your one-handed Grand Goremaul.

Duh.
    It's like fighting with a sword and shield, except better because shields suck in exalted and you don't have to worry about stupid things like your sword being able to do anything but crush ze enemy into ze dirt! It is ze ultimate method for ze killink! Soon ve vill place zere heads on spikes, und use zere orphaned children to power ze city mit un gigantic hamster vheel! MUAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm sorry, I needed to ditch some torment. I'm not sure where the bad eastern european accent came from. Too many cold war era B-movies with mad scientists, I suspect.

Anyhoo, variable weapon creation charms/spells + dual wielding can get a wee bit overpowered as a fighting style, though, IME.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

So, Creation is big. It seems like most cultures are already represented somewhere or another. You have Native Americans, Vikings, Middle East folk, all manner of Asian inspired places, etc.

But is there a place for a cowboy to hang his hat? Where breakfast is grits and dinner is chicken fried steak? Where the Abyssals sing Country Western Music, and every tumbleweed is a Sidereal in disguise? Where the Terrestrial sorcerer-engineers are woooorkin' on the railroad all the live long day, the Infernal Banditos have names like "Billy" and "Jim", and the law in this town wears a badge shaped like the sun?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Not... really?

Actually, I don't think there is a direct analogue to any European culture in Creation. Some characters draw on it quite heavily, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, Creation is big. It seems like most cultures are already represented somewhere or another. You have Native Americans, Vikings, Middle East folk, all manner of Asian inspired places, etc.

But is there a place for a cowboy to hang his hat? Where breakfast is grits and dinner is chicken fried steak? Where the Abyssals sing Country Western Music, and every tumbleweed is a Sidereal in disguise? Where the Terrestrial sorcerer-engineers are woooorkin' on the railroad all the live long day, the Infernal Banditos have names like "Billy" and "Jim", and the law in this town wears a badge shaped like the sun?
    I don't know if it's as precise an analogue as you're looking for, but the memetically doomed city of Gem and its surroundings is as close as you're likely to find. It's in the South and is located on top of a firedust mine, so the firearm-analogues of the setting are going to be as common there as they are anywhere. It's near a lot of mountains and desert, sees a lot of mercenary activity (read: banditos if they can't find enough work), it's a very mercenary place where theft (kill the horse-thieves!) is more harshly punished than murder (he done needed killlin' anyhow). It's supplied largely by the Lap's agricultural surplus, which means plenty of caravans going through the desert that need to be protected (circle the wagons!) The Dune People, cannibalistic albino terrors, can serve quite well as the menacing, barbaric Indians that inhabited the classic Western, though not so well as the noble-savage type that tends to be used instead in the modern revisionist Western. The Solar with No Name, inventor of Righteous Devil Style, hails from Gem.

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't fit, but all that can be cheerfully ignored if you set your mind to it.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2010-10-19 at 04:22 PM.