New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Requesting a Homebrew

Remake so I don't Necro.

I apologize in advance if this didn't deserve its own thread but I do remember seeing in the rules for the "Request a Homebrew" thread that larger scale things should get their own threads and I believe what I'm requesting warrants that.

On to the actual topic; the other night I was skimming around TV tropes when I happened upon one of those non-serious pages where screwball theories and nonsense are discussed for certain series. This one in particular was for Friday the 13th and it had a concept that interested me greatly.

The article put forth a theory that Jason Voorhees was in fact a kind of restless spirt that created a physical body to interact with the world because he couldn't come to terms with his actual death.

So what I'm asking for here is a sort of "Physical ghost" template in which the ghost doesn't have an acting ethereal body but creates a controlled (or inhabited) physical shell.
    And to clarify, I don't mean just a Ghost's Malevolence ability. I mean that a Ghost creates an actual body to use as a physical medium. (Though I guess I could just create a Soul-Locked entity.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Requesting a Homebrew

More information required. What exactly do you want other than a tough to kill undead?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drogorn View Post
    More information required. What exactly do you want other than a tough to kill undead?
    Well, since I used him as an example, I guess I want a template that exemplifies Jason Voorhees after Part VI.

Strong, incredibly durable, unable to ever truly die for good.

Obviously it'd be some form of spirit that may not even know that its dead since it doesn't have an ethereal body like other Ghosts (or just doesn't know how to die or move on), kind of existing in the limbo between being alive and becoming a full spirit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Could always try the d20 Modern's Bogeyman.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Could always try the d20 Modern's Bogeyman.
    Hello, Mister Never finished this template when he said he'd make one the first time I made this thread.

And Revenant is better. Bogeyman is more Michael Meyers. Both aren't durable enough for the idea though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that in Jason X, he never goes down once [yes, it's the only one i've watched and was so bad, i'm not bothered], you could just take the Revenant and slap some DR on it

CR +1 for 10-20 points is usually enough and you can apply it multiple times. Jason probably wouldn't have any antigens.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Given that in Jason X, he never goes down once [yes, it's the only one i've watched and was so bad, i'm not bothered], you could just take the Revenant and slap some DR on it

CR +1 for 10-20 points is usually enough and you can apply it multiple times. Jason probably wouldn't have any antigens.
    The problem is that if you manage to kill a Revenant, he stays dead.

Though I guess we could always apply the Soul-locked trait to a Revenant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

If you really were going for something that's totally like Jason, you coul make it tied to a certain area and have it respawn in that area when it does. It may also incur certain penalties for not being there.

And as far as Jason movies go, I never really considered Jason X or anything involving Freddy Krueger Jason canon, so with those limitations I do believe he was limited to Crystal Lake in most of the films.

It's somewhat similar to a dryad, except it would obviously be undead and not quite so limiting. Even if no penalties are applied, it can still be tied to a particular place and raised there if killed in a similar fashion to a lich and the phylactery.

I could see this going as either a template, a straight-up monster, or a monster class. I kind of like the idea, but I don't know which way to take it. If you have a preference I will to my best to cater to it.
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    It's somewhat similar to a dryad, except it would obviously be undead and not quite so limiting. Even if no penalties are applied, it can still be tied to a particular place and raised there if killed in a similar fashion to a lich and the phylactery.
    Maybe like a water dryad? If she is moved any distance away from her lake, she dies, but while within the area of her lake she respawns after being killed? You could make her undead and give her regeneration if you wanted to go the extra mile.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Maybe like a water dryad? If she is moved any distance away from her lake, she dies, but while within the area of her lake she respawns after being killed? You could make her undead and give her regeneration if you wanted to go the extra mile.
    Perhaps, but if you're going by Jason's standards I was thinking something a little more like this:

Cryptbound

Deathly Haunt: A cryptbound remains tied to the place where it died, unable to pass on from it’s undead existence. This place is often a particularly gloomy and secluded hideout, where the cryptbound can regain its powers after being destroyed. This area may have a maximum length and width of up to 10 feet per Hit Die of the cryptbound, and the cryptbound may only venture up to 1 mile away from its haunt per HD it possesses. If destroyed, the cryptbound eventually disintegrates and returns to the place of its death, becoming totally revived within 1d10 days.

The cryptbound is most formidable within the boundaries of its haunt, where it gains fast healing equal to ½ its HD and immunity to turning attempts.

The only way to permanently get rid of a cryptbound is to consecrate its deathly haunt during its resuscitation period; any attempt to cleanse the ground while the cryptbound is still active automatically fails.

[Note: This can be revised as anyone sees fit; it's just my suggestion for how to work with something like Jason.]
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Jason went to New York though and seemed to operate fine. >.>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm not familiar with the Revenant. Can someone point out which book that's in?

I'd say just pick some other undead that fits the bill of what you want to do and slap on the ghost's rejuvenation ability. Or heck, just take away the ghost's incorporeality and add damage reduction/fast healing or something. Awakened Hunting Unkillable Fast Zombies with the ghost's rejuvenation. Libris Mortis FTW!!
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrick View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Revenant. Can someone point out which book that's in?

I'd say just pick some other undead that fits the bill of what you want to do and slap on the ghost's rejuvenation ability. Or heck, just take away the ghost's incorporeality and add damage reduction/fast healing or something. Awakened Hunting Unkillable Fast Zombies with the ghost's rejuvenation. Libris Mortis FTW!!
    It's from the d20 Menace Manual.

And the Soul-locked trait is basically the Rejuvenation ability.

It's just that the monster doesn't feel unique as a core entity that way, just a slapping on of bells and whistles.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I would have normally said it was the water that did it, but according to Wikipedia he was revived by an electrical cable. By that logic, it seems like he's not even an undead at all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    I would have normally said it was the water that did it, but according to Wikipedia he was revived by an electrical cable. By that logic, it seems like he's not even an undead at all.
    Friday the 13th Part 4 had Jason dying from a combination of a large machete wound to the left shoulder to torso, an axe blow to the skull and being repeatedly cut apart by his own machete. He was pronounced dead and was buried for the next 5 years.

Friday the 13th Part 6 began with Jason's grave being dug up so his body could be burned. His body was in a state of extensive rot and decay. He was brought back when the piece of iron fence that the protagonist impaled in his chest was struck by lightning.

Part 6 to 8 showed him in varying states of decay since every time his mask was removed he looked worse and worse.

Part 9 had him blown up by a FBI task force, only for his demon heart to possess a coroner. He would spend the movie body jumping and dissolving bodies until he impregnated his sister's dead body with his demon heart and was reconstituted. He was subsequently dragged into Hell at the end of the movie.

Freddy vs. Jason showed him as a decayed corpse in the opening, literally showing his organs re-inflate and regenerate after Freddy woke him up. (He was dormant for so long he had plants growing into him and onto him.) [He also had black blood if I remember correctly.]

Jason X though once again had him as more Flesh and blood and not undead, claiming he had a regenerative healing factor. (Though he could have still been an undead.)
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2010-10-20 at 09:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    It's from the d20 Menace Manual.

And the Soul-locked trait is basically the Rejuvenation ability.

It's just that the monster doesn't feel unique as a core entity that way, just a slapping on of bells and whistles.
    A lot of rather good homebrew can come from that with proper reflavoring, just dont tell anyone how you accomplished it.

And Why have I never heard of this menace manual?

Edit: Ah D20 Modern. That explains it.
    Last edited by Jarrick; 2010-10-20 at 09:47 PM.
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

A lot of rather good homebrew can come from that with proper reflavoring, just dont tell anyone how you accomplished it.

And Why have I never heard of this menace manual?

Edit: Ah D20 Modern. That explains it.
    But then it's not technically homebrew.

There's a Revenant in the Forgotten Realms, but it's not nearly as good. xD

Modern's is more of a modern day, competent Curst.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2010-10-20 at 09:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Ah, but doesnt the DMG suggest swapping stuff out as the simplest and most effective way to homebrew? There are a lot of perfectly good stat blocks out there just waiting to be stripped of their abilities and re-arranged. I turned a Chimera into a Nue for an ancient japanese setting game I ran not to long ago. Player's never even guessed it wasnt completely original when I got through with it. (It was an epic battle, like 5 rounds. not bad for 6 players.)

Nue, for those who are interested. (Not finalized, just cobbled together. Not going to bother with formatting, I'm going to bed.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Nue
    Large Outsider
    Hit Dice: 9d10+27 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (Good)
    Armor Class: 22 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +10 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
    Attack: Bite +14 melee (2d6+6)
    Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (2d6+6) and bite +12 melee (1d8+6, Poison) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Miasma
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, Immunity to Poison, Resistance to Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire 10, DR 5/Magic, SR 19
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 16
    Skills: Hide +11, Listen +17, Spot +17, Bluff +15, Sense Motive +13, Knowledge (Nature) +14, Move silently +16, Intimidate +15, Move silently +16, Swim +18
    Feats: Alertness, Hover, Ability focus (Miasma), Multiattack
    Environment: Temperate hills
    Organization: Solitary, pride (3–5), or flight (6–13)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
    Advancement: 10–13 HD (Large); 14–27 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: +2 (cohort)

This mysterious creature is usually described as having the head of a monkey, the body of a tanuki, the limbs of a tiger, and a snake tail. A Youma of illness, they bring disease wherever they travel.
    A Nue is about 5 feet tall at the shoulder, nearly 10 feet long, and weighs about 4,000 pounds. Nue can speak Yomi, Spirit tongue, and Common, but seldom bother to do so.

COMBAT
    Spell-like abilities: 3/day: Contagion (Fort DC17) 1/day: Desecrate, Poison (Fort DC17), Nightmare (Will DC 18), Unholy blight (Will DC17),

Miasma: Nue are known to descend upon their victims wreathed in a cloak of black cloud. At its option, the Nue is constantly surrounded by a stinking cloud effect, as the spell, that Nauseates creatures within 10ft of the Nue unless they succeed at a DC 18 fortitude save. The save DC is constitution-based and includes a +2 bonus from the Ability Focus feat. Activating or deactivating the miasma is a standard action.

Change shape (Su): A nue can assume any humanoid form, or revert to its own form, as a standard action. In humanoid form, a nue loses its claw and bite attacks (although it often equips itself with weapons and armor instead). A nue remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but the nue reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals its natural form.

Skills: A Nue’s two heads give it a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.

A lot of people seem to have this perception that they have to create something entirely new to accomplish what they're after, but really its just a matter of reconceiving something that is already close. Is it easier to do it that way than making something from scratch? Almost surely. Is it any less creative? I dont really think so. You still came up with a cool idea and made a stat block represent that. How you get there isnt really important in the long run. [/ rant]
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, but doesnt the DMG suggest swapping stuff out as the simplest and most effective way to homebrew? There are a lot of perfectly good stat blocks out there just waiting to be stripped of their abilities and re-arranged. I turned a Chimera into a Nue for an ancient japanese setting game I ran not to long ago. Player's never even guessed it wasnt completely original when I got through with it. (It was an epic battle, like 5 rounds. not bad for 6 players.)

Nue, for those who are interested. (Not finalized, just cobbled together. Not going to bother with formatting, I'm going to bed.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Nue
    Large Outsider
    Hit Dice: 9d10+27 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (Good)
    Armor Class: 22 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +10 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
    Attack: Bite +14 melee (2d6+6)
    Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (2d6+6) and bite +12 melee (1d8+6, Poison) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Miasma
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, Immunity to Poison, Resistance to Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire 10, DR 5/Magic, SR 19
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 16
    Skills: Hide +11, Listen +17, Spot +17, Bluff +15, Sense Motive +13, Knowledge (Nature) +14, Move silently +16, Intimidate +15, Move silently +16, Swim +18
    Feats: Alertness, Hover, Ability focus (Miasma), Multiattack
    Environment: Temperate hills
    Organization: Solitary, pride (3–5), or flight (6–13)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
    Advancement: 10–13 HD (Large); 14–27 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: +2 (cohort)

This mysterious creature is usually described as having the head of a monkey, the body of a tanuki, the limbs of a tiger, and a snake tail. A Youma of illness, they bring disease wherever they travel.
    A Nue is about 5 feet tall at the shoulder, nearly 10 feet long, and weighs about 4,000 pounds. Nue can speak Yomi, Spirit tongue, and Common, but seldom bother to do so.

COMBAT
    Spell-like abilities: 3/day: Contagion (Fort DC17) 1/day: Desecrate, Poison (Fort DC17), Nightmare (Will DC 18), Unholy blight (Will DC17),

Miasma: Nue are known to descend upon their victims wreathed in a cloak of black cloud. At its option, the Nue is constantly surrounded by a stinking cloud effect, as the spell, that Nauseates creatures within 10ft of the Nue unless they succeed at a DC 18 fortitude save. The save DC is constitution-based and includes a +2 bonus from the Ability Focus feat. Activating or deactivating the miasma is a standard action.

Change shape (Su): A nue can assume any humanoid form, or revert to its own form, as a standard action. In humanoid form, a nue loses its claw and bite attacks (although it often equips itself with weapons and armor instead). A nue remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but the nue reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals its natural form.

Skills: A Nue’s two heads give it a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.

A lot of people seem to have this perception that they have to create something entirely new to accomplish what they're after, but really its just a matter of reconceiving something that is already close. Is it easier to do it that way than making something from scratch? Almost surely. Is it any less creative? I dont really think so. You still came up with a cool idea and made a stat block represent that. How you get there isnt really important in the long run. [/ rant]
    I guess it just makes people feel that they've accomplished something greater if they forged their idea brand new with their own two hands rather than simply innovating something that already existed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    I guess it just makes people feel that they've accomplished something greater if they forged their idea brand new with their own two hands rather than simply innovating something that already existed.
    That's a confusing statement because "innovate" means to create something that has never been done before, while the term you were probably looking for was "renovate," to make new.

As for rules on your PM querie, there are no rules for monster creation. There's a whole sack of not hugely effective guidelines [which Debbihuman slaps me around the head with fairly liberally] and beyond that it's all guess-work.

I'm all for reflavouring. If you can get Tome of Horrors, perhaps the Coffer Corpse would do...maybe ask The Vorpal Tribble to increase its HD a bunch for you [see his creature advancement thread].

If you're adding nothing else, giving Jason DR 20/something specific would probably make him about +1 CR more dangerous, simply because of the extra attacks he can get in before he's brought down. On the assumption that he were of the same CR as the party, applying this 3 times makes him damn near indestructible with DR 60 and still kind of in tune with them, at CR = party +3ish...

As another option, you could look up a critter called the Dybbuk from Fiendish Codex 1. If you strip away its death touch and spell like abilities, what you're left with is a spirit that can repeatedly repossess its corpse, creating that whole "we've finally killed him...oh, wait" feeling. Not quite Jason, but effective.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    That's a confusing statement because "innovate" means to create something that has never been done before, while the term you were probably looking for was "renovate," to make new.

As for rules on your PM querie, there are no rules for monster creation. There's a whole sack of not hugely effective guidelines [which Debbihuman slaps me around the head with fairly liberally] and beyond that it's all guess-work.

I'm all for reflavouring. If you can get Tome of Horrors, perhaps the Coffer Corpse would do...maybe ask The Vorpal Tribble to increase its HD a bunch for you [see his creature advancement thread].

If you're adding nothing else, giving Jason DR 20/something specific would probably make him about +1 CR more dangerous, simply because of the extra attacks he can get in before he's brought down. On the assumption that he were of the same CR as the party, applying this 3 times makes him damn near indestructible with DR 60 and still kind of in tune with them, at CR = party +3ish...

As another option, you could look up a critter called the Dybbuk from Fiendish Codex 1. If you strip away its death touch and spell like abilities, what you're left with is a spirit that can repeatedly repossess its corpse, creating that whole "we've finally killed him...oh, wait" feeling. Not quite Jason, but effective.
    Incorrect. The term "invent" is to create something that never existed. "Innovate" is to create something that, while new, is simply a change or restructuring of an already existing concept or object. That's why the words "invention" and "innovation" are separate, albeit similar.

The goal of this thread was not to stat out Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movie franchise, that's already been done in a Friday the 13th module for d20 Modern.

The goal was to create a new breed of ghost (for lack of a better term) that was grounded solely in the physical world (instead of the ethereal) and who's only real trick was a Rejuvenation ability. [A template or unique (as in a specific breed not as in a single creature like the Tarrasque) creature would work.]

And honestly, if we were to take an existing undead and rework it to make it more in line with the concept the previously mentioned Revenant from d20 Modern is where we go. The Revenant was created with Jason Voorhees in mind (just like The Bogeyman was obviously based on Michael Meyes of Halloween fame). DR would not be needed there because of the regeneration the monster naturally possesses, but again this wasn't the direction I had wanted this thread to go.

I had PMed asking because if there was a guide that existed somewhere I would have loved to see it because I tend to design things for games now and then and having a streamlined starting point would be nice. (I would very much appreciate a link to the other guide you mentioned.)

I don't remember the Dybukk but I'll open my copy of the FCI and see if...wait, was that the one incorporeal demon that functioned similar to an Intellect Devourer?
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2010-10-22 at 08:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Simple: Step 1:Take the tarrasque
    Step 2: shrink it down to medium(or large depending on what you prefer)
    Step 3: refluff natural attacks as machete
    Step 4: cut away what doesn't make sense (Aka- swallow whole) and possibly add an affinity for lightning
    Step 5: ???
    Step 6: Profit... er... Jason