New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef XIII

I would also say that Wizards web-only content and web enhancements would also qualify as obscure sources, IMHO.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I would also say that Wizards web-only content and web enhancements would also qualify as obscure sources, IMHO.
    I would disagree, as long as the contestant links them. Some of those, like Swiftblade, Font of Inspiration, etc. are very well known and the cornerstone of a lot of char-op builds. And since you can readily assume that everyone involved in the contest has an internet connection, I won't ding automatically for those.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    I consider a source obscure if it had a very limited publication or distribution (like Exemplars of Evil, which I have literally never seen on a shelf anywhere), or a very specific setting book (such as Serpent Kingdoms).

My list of "non-obscure books" includes, but is not limited to, Core (including XPH), Completes, ToB, ToM, MoI, the "Races of" series, the "It's hot/cold/wet/etc outside" series, BoED, BoVD, and most Eberron books. I don't own all of these, but I am at least passingly familiar with them and can find out what's in them fairly easily.

Some of the "slightly obscure" books would include the Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, the Fiendish Codexes, the majority of the FR books, Drow of the Underdark, Demonweb Pits and similar campaign books, Dragon Compendium, and Faiths and Pantheons. These are books that I wouldn't expect most people to have seen or read, and would probably get a slight penalty in elegance. If I didn't list it above, I've probably never heard of it and would therefore consider it very obscure and thus penalize accordingly. I'm not saying I know everything about D&D 3.5, but I feel that I represent the level of 3.5 literacy of the average DM.

I know people may take issue with me listing Eberron as "less obscure" than FR, Greyhawk or Dragonlance, but this is not just personal preference, it's based on my long experience with 3.5. Eberron was probably the most successful published setting of 3.5, was more heavily marketed and Eberron sources are often bandied about both on these boards and in conversation with the gamers I know IRL. FR is definitely a close second, but literally the only things I can ever remember from FR books are Incantatrix and Pun-Pun (i.e. sarrukhs). Not good associations

Edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is in the contest rules, but 3rd party stuff is right out.
    The fiendish codex's are rare? Weird, those are like my favorites.

Especially Hordes of the Abyss! How can you not love Graz'zt?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

*snip* but literally the only things I can ever remember from FR books are Incantatrix and Pun-Pun (i.e. sarrukhs). Not good associations
    Heh, only a few things I remember from Eberron: light rails (or whatever the magitech trains are called), warforged, planar shepards, and elementals being bound to everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I'm going to withdraw from this one. I have a concept, but I doubt I'll have the time to do it justice (no pun intended) before the deadline.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The fiendish codex's are rare? Weird, those are like my favorites.

Especially Hordes of the Abyss! How can you not love Graz'zt?
    I love those books too. The list has nothing to do with how much I like a book, but with how likely it is the average DM would be familiar with their content. Granted, if I saw a really cool build involving a PrC that I knew from one of those books, I probably wouldn't penalize it very harshly, I would just take that into consideration in the final score.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I consider a source obscure if it had a very limited publication or distribution (like Exemplars of Evil, which I have literally never seen on a shelf anywhere), or a very specific setting book (such as Serpent Kingdoms).

My list of "non-obscure books" includes, but is not limited to, Core (including XPH), Completes, ToB, ToM, MoI, the "Races of" series, the "It's hot/cold/wet/etc outside" series, BoED, BoVD, and most Eberron books. I don't own all of these, but I am at least passingly familiar with them and can find out what's in them fairly easily.

Some of the "slightly obscure" books would include the Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, the Fiendish Codexes, the majority of the FR books, Drow of the Underdark, Demonweb Pits and similar campaign books, Dragon Compendium, and Faiths and Pantheons. These are books that I wouldn't expect most people to have seen or read, and would probably get a slight penalty in elegance. If I didn't list it above, I've probably never heard of it and would therefore consider it very obscure and thus penalize accordingly. I'm not saying I know everything about D&D 3.5, but I feel that I represent the level of 3.5 literacy of the average DM.

I know people may take issue with me listing Eberron as "less obscure" than FR, Greyhawk or Dragonlance, but this is not just personal preference, it's based on my long experience with 3.5. Eberron was probably the most successful published setting of 3.5, was more heavily marketed and Eberron sources are often bandied about both on these boards and in conversation with the gamers I know IRL. FR is definitely a close second, but literally the only things I can ever remember from FR books are Incantatrix and Pun-Pun (i.e. sarrukhs). Not good associations

Edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is in the contest rules, but 3rd party stuff is right out.
    Just so I'm clear here, I'm reading this as using a FR-specific build will be penalized, while an Eberron-specific build will not?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Just so I'm clear here, I'm reading this as using a FR-specific build will be penalized, while an Eberron-specific build will not?
    No. Fluff/setting has nothing to do with it, I was referring more to templates, feats, spells and the like.

Basically, if a key piece of the build requires the DM to go digging into some weird book that doesn't get much use otherwise, I'd consider it slightly inelegant. That's all. I'm not going to slam scores into the ground because I don't immediately recognize a source.

I'm not going to go into it any more because I think the issue is getting confused now. Contestants should make what they want to make and not be afraid to experiment, I know a good build when I see one. Anyone who is really concerned about my tastes in particular can read/skim the judging I did for IC 2 and 4.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2010-10-21 at 09:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGuy

I was referring to a build reliant on crunch as well as fluff from FR-specific books. As you specified feats from such would also merit a deduction, albeit a small one, that answers my question.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I'd put FR and Eberron on the same footing in how common it is, as FR has a fairly respectable fan base that's been longer established than Eberron has, as well as I'd say some Eberron books are pretty damn obscure to boot. I'd say Explorer's Handbook and Dragonmarked are equally as obscure as Silver Marches and Power of Faerun are, for example.

Obscurity truly belongs to Dragonlance and, sadly, Greyhawk, given how little support they got from WotC during the 3rd Edition era beyond LG and the DLCS being the only things that actually had any of WotC's hand involved, with any beyond that in Dragonlance at least being 3rd party under the d20 license and that's about it.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

My first D&D game ever was a 2nd ed FR campaign. Never actually 'learned' much about it per se. Never got too much into Eberron, except for psionics-related stuff, however until these competitions began.

All in all, they're nice and everything, but rather make/use my own any day.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    All in all, they're nice and everything, but rather make/use my own any day.
    It's rare that I actually play in a published setting, myself. Most campaigns I play in are custom worlds and take things from other settings as they fit in. There isn't material I've come across that I couldn't manage to adapt to the game I'm currently playing.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah.. I think I'm going to step back form this one.
    I've figured out some decent ideas, but none of them seem worth the effort of formatting and everything. If you guys want I can switch over to judging.

14. - Top - End - #134

Okay, build submitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Less than 24 hours, and I see only one post saying a build is submitted. I hope we got a few more :D
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Mine had been submitted awhile back

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll get mine posted, but its sure to lose.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'll get mine posted, but its sure to lose.
    You can never be sure--the judges can always surprise you (for better or for worse).
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2010-10-23 at 01:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    You can never be sure--the judges can always surprise you (for better or for worse).
    Yippee ki-ay, *whatever they edited this to in the PG-13 movie* :P

Surprise.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2010-10-23 at 01:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

At this point, I'm going to be extending the deadline for 24 hours, since I have a very limited field of submissions.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Please do! I need more time!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post
    At this point, I'm going to be extending the deadline for 24 hours, since I have a very limited field of submissions.
    So Sunday at midnight?

23. - Top - End - #143

Aw man, I was hoping for the cut tonight so I could read the entries tomorrow morning.

24. - Top - End - #144

NecromancerGuy

This at least gives me an outside chance of finishing up.

Vigilante is just so... bad.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

The problem I found isn't that it's bad; it's that the class seems disjointed. You've got roguelike skills and some abilities that complement them, bard spellcasting (though a few schools are removed), strange SLAs with very limited use, and a bizarre smite mechanic. It doesn't seem like there's a complete theme there.

I will say this for the class--at least it gains new spell levels faster than a bard.

26. - Top - End - #146

I am never sure about the time zones. Theykeep instituting daylight savings at new times which thows my understanding out.

Build is in. Sorry if it was late. I had a bit of fun coming up with the character, even if it is not that good.

Vigilante has some strengths, but needs a slight skill list revision. Rather than granting SLA's, maybe expand it's spell list or something. I would not call it awful, just poorly edited. I'll give a lengthier critique once people have their build in, but I think the majority of my concerns have already been covered by other posters.

I'll stand by in case a judge has to withdraw. it appears we have enough, but you never can be sure.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Bother, I was thinking I could get cracking on my judging this evening...

Ah well, I guess I'll continue to wait patiently to see what horrors grace us this Unlucky 13th IC.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #148

Sad to say, but I'm happy that others disliked their builds--it means I may have a fighting chance.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

hmm I still have time to finish my build then... wondering If I should; I am not really keen on the build I have in mind.

Well I'll see what I can do.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

I'll have to bow out of this one.
    I just found out that my build does not get one of it's key features and I don't want to go through all the trouble of redoing it.
    Writing the backstory was really fun, though.
    Also, I would like to fill any judge slot that needs filling, if at all possible.