New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [Steam] Thread XVII: /sm_rename "Steam Thread": da]mexitt hr[a vise

[Steam] Thread XVII

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonarch View Post
    New thread ho!
    Find out more, and download the Steam client from the official site.

♥♥♥♥♥

Steam Groups - Join up!

There's a variety of groups on Steam that certain members from this forum have created related to these games, ranging from vague to actually useful. If you'd like to be part of these, either ask a member of the group you wish to join, or message one of the Administrators there. Or create a new group for a game that hasn't been listed, or otherwise fills a niche. A few of these listed here;

We now have some servers intended for a few specific titles, supported by donations.

♥♥♥♥♥

Team Fortress 2

The Chocolate Hammer TF2 server can be found @ 68.232.183.52:27015

Featuring semi-regular Friday/Saturday friendly competitive matches. Either held on the server itself, or a lobby made on TF2Lobby. If you want to join on a comp match, it's a good idea to register here, just in case.

• Maps, direct access: Refer to potatocubed (GitP, Steam) if you have suggestions or if the server has vanished.

• Add-ons, coding: Refer to Djinn_in_Tonic (GitP, Steam) if you have suggestions.

Current known Admins *

Spoiler
    Show

Current known Giants (Moderators) *

Spoiler
    Show

Taking donations via Paypal at [email protected] and ClanPay (preferred option).

♥♥♥♥♥

SHaFT

Then there's the newest member of the GitP / ChHa server family, Drol and Girlfriend's Super Happy Fun Time. (SHaFT) This is a smaller, no crit or random spread server.

1. When the comp team is having practice/holding a scrim, do not connect. There is a separate password for such, so unless you know the right password, you can't get on. When we aren't doing anything, everyone from GitP / ChHa is free to use it. (On the subject on the competitive team, do not ask to be on it. If the team want you to be on it, you will be contacted.)
    2. You're at the mercy of the whims of drolkcal and mightymonarch. If they feel like Prophunt, it's going to be on Prophunt. If they feel like ammomod, it's going to be on ammomod.
    3. Don't ask to be an admin or a mod. It's probably not going to happen.
    4. SHaFT runs CEVO weapon rules, the Natascha, Sandman or Wrangler are banned. Polycount stuff is ok for now
    5. This TF2 server can be found @ 68.232.169.101:27015

Private Server

♥♥♥♥♥

Killing Floor

The KF server can be found @ 68.232.171.24:7707

Current known Admins *

Spoiler
    Show

♥♥♥♥♥

Mumble

While used primarily for communication between teams in a competitive match, it can also be used as a lounge area for people to meet up and talk to each other.

Our Mumble server can be found @ mbl3.gameservers.com:10008

Current known Admins *

Spoiler
    Show

♥♥♥♥♥

IRC
    We now have our own IRC channel or SorceryNet.

There are many ways to connect to and enjoy IRC, either by using a web client, a traditional desktop client, or by using a plugin for your browser / game. A quick how-to join the channel can be found here. If you already have some experience using IRC but would like to know more, once you're inside the channel, any questions you might have should be answered by those already present.

IP: irc.sorcery.net ; #chocolatehammer ; Password is “chha”

♥♥♥♥♥

The Jibpocalypse - A thread relating to the many insanities fueled by the nightmarish visions of the many players here. This thread, if you'd call it that, is a testimony to inanity.

ChHa TF2 Server Thread - Here we try to arrange evenings of gaming, and plan our weekly semi-competitive 6v6 matches.

BluFort - A custom GitP made map for TF2

Any questions or inquiries we'd be happy to answer.**

* (These have changed considerably, is currently unknown, have been obfuscated, missed by my person or has yet to be established. Suggestions for improvements, adding new names or removal of old ones will be appreciated. Spelling, grammar or any bit of information that could be useful in here would be welcome too. PM for any of these).

**Totally not copypastaed from phase.
    Last edited by Emlyn; 2010-11-11 at 02:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XVII: /sm_rename Steam Thread: da]mexitt hr[a vise

Stupid empty IRC channel. How am I supposed to ask for help configuring my VPN now!?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Empty IRC channel? There's six of us just hanging out in there, not including bots.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #4

Top of the post still reads Steam Thread 15, though it should be 17...

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mario View Post
    Top of the post still reads Steam Thread 15, though it should be 17...
    And this is what happens when I do this while in a LoL game.
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XVII: /sm_rename "Steam Thread": da]mexitt hr[a vise

I should note that the description of SHaFT should be updated, it not being a private server anymore.

Also, the way the titling is the same for "TF2" and "SHaFT", like SHaFT is unrelated to TF2, is sort of weird. I know that part wasn't you, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Empty IRC channel? There's six of us just hanging out in there, not including bots.
    Well maybe I forgot to join irc.sorcery.net first! Ever think of that!?

Still, the fact that no bots were present should have tipped me off.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-10-20 at 01:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    I wish I had some remote clue how the TF2 crafting system worked before I crafted away a pair of soldier weps and a pair of demo weps for some scrap metal. Could have traded them for some sorely needed heavy gear.
    I'm always looking for scraps, though I only have a spare Sandvich. Still, if you need that, I'd be happy to trade you it for a scrap metal.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Dammit, not Fart Cops...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I'm always looking for scraps, though I only have a spare Sandvich. Still, if you need that, I'd be happy to trade you it for a scrap metal.
    To expand on this idea a little bit: Most players will only keep one copy of each weapon and in a lot of cases only if they really like that weapon, the rest of their weapons get crafted into scrap metal. Crafting scrap metal takes two weapons so if a player can get a scrap metal for the price of the one weapon they trade away to you then they will almost certainly agree to the trade. This means your scrap metal is extremely useful if all you intend to do is trade for weapons.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Heh. IRC.

How mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Dammit, not Fart Cops...
    Suckers, I win again!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Love that new thread smell. Smells like Victory.
    Steam Profile:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197985676498

Feel free to add me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I suppose I'll be the first person to say: WTF thread title?!
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by srnwomst View Post
    i wtrhe:f ptle ad it? pstul bel'oi st ehet prf sreion stsa!yo
    Huh?
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-10-20 at 09:43 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Anagram of [Steam] Thread XVII, as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-10-20 at 09:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    They should have just stopped at the fix of the fix. There was no need to fix the fix for that fix, since the original fix was a much worse fix than the last fix they implemented to fix their fix. Hell, they'll probably have to fix this fix to fix something they thought they fixed in the first fix but actually never fixed in any of their fixes so far. fix
    Look here buddy, I've had enough of your fixing my fix, can't you just leave the fix as it was fixed, because I fixed it already. Fixing fixes breaks the fix, cuz you don't fix what was fixed, but you do fix what is broken. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or your reputations as a fixer is in need of a serious fix. The first fix worked, kind of, but it's not our fault that fixers found that fixing the problem made it worse, fixing the fix would likely fix the fix so that the fix would not fix the problem that they were intended to fix. Gawd Valve, fix your game properly for once.

In other news, I propose we write another JibarxCatmuffin fic. Cuz ya never have enough JibarxCatmuffin fics, and I need my daily fix of fic. It's almost like a fixation.

I feel bad now.
    Just multi-thread posting, for posterity and post-post notification.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Anagram of [Steam] Thread XVII, as far as I can tell.
    It's as if the name of the thread was scrambled like admins have access to on ChHa.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

</3 for the current layout. Can't believe I had a part in making that.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    I should note that the description of SHaFT should be updated, it not being a private server anymore.

Also, the way the titling is the same for "TF2" and "SHaFT", like SHaFT is unrelated to TF2, is sort of weird. I know that part wasn't you, but still.
    Thanks for noticing, its fixed now.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

New thread ho!
    Can't believe this made it to the very top of the OP. And this was before the Nerfnow comic. Imma trendsetter.

20. - Top - End - #20

Can't believe this made it to the very top of the OP. And this was before the Nerfnow comic. Imma trendsetter.
    It was just too perfect to pass up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

So, I played the campaign mode of Bad Company 2. I wasn't very impressed.

Seriously, why are there so many games with such glaring flaws?

I mean, seriously. In the next level, there's a bit where you have to wait for thunder to cover the sound of your sniping so you can take out guards secretly. They put all this effort into realism and then "OH AND ALSO THERE"S AN OBVIOUS SPAWNPOINT THAT ANYONE COULD RUN INTO"
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-10-20 at 01:51 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    So, I played the campaign mode of Bad Company 2. I wasn't very impressed.

Seriously, why are there so many games with such glaring flaws?

I mean, seriously. In the next level, there's a bit where you have to wait for thunder to cover the sound of your sniping so you can take out guards secretly. They put all this effort into realism and then "OH AND ALSO THERE"S AN OBVIOUS SPAWNPOINT THAT ANYONE COULD RUN INTO"
    I for one sympathise with you, but point out the following:

• You can snipe people flying a helicopter, with an armoured glass canopy, with a shotgun.
    • You can strap C4 onto a small air drone and make it into a destructive little hornet.
    • You can disassemble a tank in the field with a power tool.
    • You can be a dentist. With a power tool.
    • You can be a Russian with a snappy red beret.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

I for one sympathise with you, but point out the following:

• You can snipe people flying a helicopter, with an armoured glass canopy, with a shotgun.
    • You can strap C4 onto a small air drone and make it into a destructive little hornet.
    • You can disassemble a tank in the field with a power tool.
    • You can be a dentist. With a power tool.
    • You can be a Russian with a snappy red beret.
    Well, the multiplayer of games is ALWAYS crazy.

Also, in the multiplayer, there's a retarded system of unlocks. Get X points, unlock superior equipment.

High level players literally run faster and shoot harder than you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't really care for the campaign either. I still think the multiplayer is fun though.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Well, the multiplayer of games is ALWAYS crazy.

Also, in the multiplayer, there's a retarded system of unlocks. Get X points, unlock superior equipment.

High level players literally run faster and shoot harder than you.
    Except the top level weapons aren't the best and depending on which class you play you'll get the best weapon as your second or third unlock.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The sniper, for example, gets the M24 as his starting weapon. The M9 is my favourite pistol, and the other classes get some great weapons early too (XM8P and XM8C, M249). Magnum ammo is pretty cool, but you can get that really quickly. You become competetive after a few hours of playing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The best weapons in my opinion:

Engineer: AKSU (I think it's the second unlock.), UMP (last unlock). That's only due to their accuracy. The others are also nice at close range.
    Medic:M60, MG36. Neither of these are the last ones.
    Sniper: Gol.
    Assault: Grenade Launcher (the rifle is a fancy holder for it. If you want, the Abakan is overpowered.)
    Shotguns:Some argue that the first one you get is the best. I don't think there's a huge difference.
    Pistols:M412 and M1911. Neither are the last.
    Rocketlaunchers: Carl Gustav.

That's how I see it anyways. Only one of them is the last weapon. You can still use the others effectively as well. As for others having better weapons, you can easily pick up another players kit to use that. Medic is great for getting points when you manage to unlock the defibs. You'll also help the team a lot.

28. - Top - End - #28

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Magnum ammo is pretty cool, but you can get that really quickly. You become competetive after a few hours of playing.
    Magnum ammo appears at level 15. I got it yesterday and according to Steam I've played 32 hours. I spent a lot of time playing as Medic and spent all my time ingame with an excellent squad of friends and was the highest scoring player a lot. I imagine that a sniper or soldier would have to work a lot harder and longer to achieve that kind of score.

All of which is beside the point, which is this:

There is no reason why people should have 25% more damage than me

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Only one of them is the last weapon.
    If they're not available at first level, the noobs are at a disadvantage. Saying that it takes 8 hours of game time to earn them instead of 14 doesn't really solve the fundamental problem.

for others having better weapons, you can easily pick up another players kit to use that.
    "So, explain this plan to me?"

"Well, you go onto a battlefield, wait until someone better than you with superior equipment dies, and then you run over to where they died and pick up their stuff."

"What if I die while I'm waiting? What if whatever killed them kills me? What if they're playing a different class and I don't really want or need to be a sniper right now? What if this is the least practical plan ever?"

manage to unlock the defibs.
    I can't help but feel there's something fundamentally flawed about a game where a new player is literally UNABLE to heal people as a medic until they've played two or three games.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The medic can heal with the mediboxes. Reviving is unlocked.

How is this different from Battlefield 2? Many times the unlocked weapons are just plain superior, not just in some aspects.

30. - Top - End - #30

Kobold

The medic can heal with the mediboxes.

How is this different from Battlefield 2? Many times the unlocked weapons are just plain superior, not just in some aspects.
    Mediboxes are ALSO unlocked.

I wasn't aware the predecessors of the game were ALSO stupid, as this was the first in the series I acquired.