New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default War is Coming (IC)

Recruitment Thread
    OOC Thread

Everyone starts in the city of Highcastle.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Occupied Land
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-20 at 10:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: War is Coming (IC)

Evan Loneblade
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have been stationed at Highcastle for several seasons. You have been working the forges, and training with the shock troops of the 1st Infantry.

After another 8 hour night shift crafting spears and ballista bolts, you hear your squad leader yell mail call. You've never gotten any mail before, but orders are for the whole squad to assemble when they hear mail call. They usually use this time to sneak in briefings and general scoldings.

Everyone lines up in an orderly fassion as per the usual routine. The squad leader approaches the first person in line, screams their name in their face, and jams a wad of mail into their chest.

"Peters!"
    Trooper Peters recieves his mail.

"Clarkson!"
    Trooper Clarkson recieves his mail.

"Loneblade!" There is a single letter for you, and it has the Athlan Military Seal on it.

John Walt
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your caravan arrives finally at its destination. After signing a 4 season contract to fight for Athla, you traveled with a caravan transporting a platoon of hoplites to Highcastle. Most of the landscape is rolling hills and farmland. The title feature, a large castle high on a hill, stands out as the sun rises behind it. As you enter the perimiter of the city, you see several phalanxes of hoplies and formations of pikemen drilling and preparing for the upcoming battles.

The caravan comes to a stop. You hear a loud human voice. "Third Divison!" All of the regular soldiers on the caravan form up in front of a man with many decorations on his chest.

"Mercenaires!" Another (much stockier) man stands on the other side of your wagon. "You have all signed up to fight for the great kingdom of Athla! Is this not the case for any of you?" after a brief silence, he continues "Follow Man-at-Arms Jardine for processing!"

Jardine leads you and four other men to an area south of the castle, where a Lieutenant begins asking routine questions, begining with a grizzled looking dwarf...

From this spot you have a nice view of the battlements that overlook the river. The Kenelm better bring an army from hell, because this city is going to be one tough nut to crack.

Lady Elizabeth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your return to Athla did not come with a warm welcome. Every day your patience and devotion to the light would be tested by loud mouths, local authority, and arrogant nobles. The only people who treated you fairly, and on occasions defended your legal rights, were members of the triad. Your service to them, particularly the church of Torm has earned you a great deal of trust as well as their oath to provide food and shelter to you as long as you remain faithful.

Recently, Brother Hector, high scholar of the church of Tyr, has approached you and asked you to perform a special service for the church. He wishes for you to attend an assembly of knights and cruisaders, concerning the impending war...

Deklin Rilos
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been 3 days since you were asked by the church of Tyr to travel to Highcastle. You have recieved food and lodging from the church, and have been reporting to Brother Hector, a high scholar of the clergy. The temples of the triad have been quite busy for the last couple of days you have been here. Many common folk have been atoning for minor misdeeds and praying for loved ones.

In your short time here, you have had the opportunity to philosophically discuss law with Brother Hector which has been a most enlightening experience. Durring your last encounter, he said that the church had a great favor to ask, and wished for you to attend an assembly of followers of the triad. There everything will be explained...

Aramil Whitewood
    Spoiler
    Show
    The trip to Athla was long and perilous. Along the way you spotted many Kenelm encampments, sure to stay clear of them after their treatment of your brethren. The mountainous terrain to the south provided much needed cover, but hourdes of ogres, hill giants and trolls became an unusually frequent sight. They seemed to be congregating in much larger groups than they are usually known to.

It has been nearly a season since you reached Athla. After enlisting in the Army, and graduating basic training, you joined up with the archers of the Third Company. For the last couple of month you have trained and drilled in the outskirs of the city Highcastle.

Early this afternoon you hear a phrase that means nothing to you.
    "Mail Call!"
    You line up in an orderly fassion as quickly, but not enthusiastically as the rest of your platoon.
    The soldier approaches the first person in line. "Hornblower!"
    The 3'2" Trooper Hornblower steps forward and recieves his mail.

"Din'Laer!"
    The lovely Trooper Din'Laer steps forward and recieves her mail.

"Minogue!"
    The lanky human Trooper Minogue steps forward and recieves his mail.

"Whitewood!"
    After a jolt of surprise, you recieve a letter. Upon closer inspection, you see that it has the seal of the Athlan Military...

Emalus Verres
    Spoiler
    Show
    The trip to Athla was long and perilous. Along the way you spotted many Kenelm encampments, sure to stay clear of them after their treatment of your brethren. The mountainous terrain to the south provided much needed cover, but hourdes of ogres, hill giants and trolls became an unusually frequent sight. They seemed to be congregating in much larger groups than they are usually known to.

It has been nearly a season since you reached Athla. After enlisting in the Army, and graduating badic training, you joined up with the combat engineers of the Fifth Company. You trained for a few months in Goldridge, quickly gaining the attention of your superiors with your knowlege of siege engines, and the quality of your craftsmanship. Your company recently shipped out to Highcastle where you have been repairing seige engines, awaiting the inevitable arrival of the Kenelm army.

Early this afternoon you hear the two smartest words to come out of a grunt's mouth.
    "Mail Call!"
    All of the troops line up in an orderly fassion as quickly and enthusiastically as humanly possible. The man with the stack of papers approaches the first person in line. "Almeda!"
    Trooper Almeda steps forward and recieves his mail.

He goes to the next person in line. "Hardy!"
    Trooper Hardy steps forward and recieves his mail.

"And a mighty haul for Trooper Hickson!"
    Hickson steps forward and recieves his mail.
    "I dont know how you do it son."

You are next in line.
    "Verres!" In his hand he has a single letter, which has the seal of the Athlan Military on it...
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-21 at 03:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Flicking a knife out of his kit and using it to open the letter, Emalus begins reading.
    "This should prove interesting."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Deklin

For the DM
    Spoiler
    Show

During Deklins short time in Highcastle he has made sure to survey the defenses and pay his respects to the various military officers that guide the war effort on this front.

He does not question Brother Hector any more about the meeting than when and where.

If any of the other party members have been around the more military end of town for any length of time they have more than likely seen a man with fair golden hair and purpose in his step going about various errands and coming in and out of the temple of Tyr.

5. - Top - End - #5

Highcastle Defenses
    First in Command of the 2nd Regiment is Lt. Commander First Class, Korrik Davon
    His Second in Command is Lt. Commander Second Class, Borris Hill

The castle is located atop a high hill overlooking the Saint Esmond River. Various palisades and towers have been erected on the hills below the castle. Each tower is meant to house a ballista or oxybeles and a crew. One at a time, they are added as they become available. Archers line the palisades and have a clear shot beyond the far banks of the river. Behind the castle walls are 2 functioning trebuchets, and several mangonels and onagers. The trebuchets can just barely fire beyond the river, at its closest points. Siege engines can be wheeled out on the cobblestone road with relative ease, and fired from the hills. The stables have dozens of horses and canines of various types.

The South Bridge has been destroyed, and its pieces brought to the castle for use as ammunition for siege engines. Many trees have been felled, and every rock larger than a pebble has been brought back in order to level the terrain, and load up on materials. The Saint Esmond River is typically much deeper and wider, but ever since Kenelm invaded Bravarra, not as much water has been flowing down stream.

Career soldiers are responsible for obtaining their own armor. The army has smiths that work for them crafting armor to sell, as well as the weapons issued to troops. The hoplites primary weapon is the shortspear. It does not require much metal to make, and it is an ideal weapon for phalanx fighting. The average spear has a life expectancy of 1 battle, so every hoplite has a short sword as a backup weapon. After every victorious battle, all of the broken spears are gathered and the heads are resharpened and fassioned to the end of new spears. Their shields are issued to them, and must be crafted to precise specifications to be suitable for their style of phalanx fighting.

The pikeman's primary weapon is the longspear. They do not use shields, and are therefore more heavily armored and slower moving than the hoplites. Thier purpose is to present an obstacle to enemy cavalry, and therefore tend to be relatively stationary in battle anyway. Pikemen depend more on their weapons standing up to the rigors of combat, but it is not unheard of for a platoon of pikemen to keep many wooden pikes as backups.

To join the cavalry, a soldier's rank must be Senior Man-at-Arms or higher. They are issued a mount which they are responsible for, though stabling and feeding is taken care of when staying at a military base. The cavalry is the pride of the Athlan Army and boasts many jousting champions amongst its ranks.
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-21 at 04:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

John grins listening to the standard processing every mercenary goes through waiting for his turn
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

7. - Top - End - #7

Emalus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Letter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whitewood, Aramil. Trooper Second Class.
    2nd Regiment, 1st Battalion, 5th Company, 1st Platoon, Combat Engineers.

Your clean service record and the quality of your work qualify you for admission into our elite mixed unit tactics training program. If you wish to sign up, report to the south armory at dawn tomorrow.

You were supposed to be off duty tomorrow. Oh well, this is just how the Army works.

Deklin
    Spoiler
    Show
    The meeting will take place at a wayshrine of Illmater to the west of town. It is scheduled for dawn tomorrow.

John
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are fourth in line, and have the privilage of hearing the questions 4 times. Eventually it is your turn.
    "Name?..."
    "Specialty?..."
    "Do you have any prior military or combat experience?..."
    "Do you currently have any diseases or ailments?..."
    "Are you able to adhere to a steady regiment of calisthenics and physical training?..."
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-22 at 02:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Highcastle Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-21 at 06:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Aramil uses a well manicured finger to scratch away the seal on the envelope and reads the letter quickly.
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Evan Loneblade

Loneblade is so shocked to hear his name he almost trips over his own feet as he eagerly rushes up to the commander. "Unbelievable. Who would send mail to me?" he murmurs to himself in a low, baritone voice. Anxious to see what is inside, Evan quickly breaks the seal and slowly reads his mail.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for my inactivity. I've been busy and got all my work done, so now I can be more diligent with this campaign.
    Posting rate will be very slow for the time being. I'm really sorry to all those in my PbP games.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Aspirations to Infamy OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

11. - Top - End - #11

Lady Elizabeth
    "It would be my honor to attend this assembly. Where and when is it being held?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Aramil
    Spoiler
    Show
    Letter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whitewood, Aramil. Trooper Second Class.
    2nd Regiment, 1st Battalion, 3rd Company, 2nd Platoon, Archers.

Your clean service record and high marksmanship scores qualify you for admission into our elite mixed unit tactics training program. If you wish to sign up, report to the south armory at dawn tomorrow.

Seems like short notice for this sort of thing, but that's humans for you.

Evan Loneblade
    Spoiler
    Show
    Letter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Loneblade, Evan. Trooper Second Class.
    2nd Regiment, 1st Battalion, 1st Company, 1st Platoon, Infantry.

Your clean service record, flawless attendance, and physical prowess qualify you for admission into our elite mixed unit tactics training program. If you wish to sign up, report to the south armory at dawn tomorrow.

Just like the fleshies to set something like this up on such short notice...

Lady Elizabeth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brother Hector: "We will be meeting at dawn tomorrow. Roughly a mile outside of town, to the east, there is a wayshrine to Illmater."

13. - Top - End - #13

Griffon

Aramil Whitewood

The elf will fold the letter in half and approach the Commanding Officer if his unit is at ease. Quietly, he will ask his superior, "Sir, with all due respect, I request a day of leave to gather supplies for my new assignment." He will show him the letter and wait for a response.
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

14. - Top - End - #14

Lady Elizabeth
    "Thank you Brother Hector. I will be sure to attend the meeting. May Torm smile upon you in these dark times."

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I have any other gear aside from the 3 items assigned to me? Maybe like a tabard with my family's heirloom on it or perhaps Torm's symbol, maybe even on my shield. Maybe some fancy noble clothing over the chainmail as well. Would all that be reduced from my 10g? There is also a small list of good that I'd like to pick up before the meeting.

15. - Top - End - #15

Emalus calmly walks up to his commanding officer and says, "I'm being transferred out." while holding up the letter. "Permission to gather ordinance for the inevitable special forces assignment?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Aramil Whitewood
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That all seems in order. Hit the target range, then knock off for the rest of the day." He hands you a quiver with 50 arrows.

Emalus
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Just keep working on those ballistas. Ill sign the papers to complete your transfer, effective tomorrow morning. They'll have everything you need." After a few more hours of fixing ballistas, your shift will be over.

Everyone
    It is currently mid-day. Once you are finished with any responsibilities, you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want.

17. - Top - End - #17

Griffon

Aramil Whitewood

"Sir, yes sir." The elf takes the quiver and jogs to the archery range. Setting up at an empty station he begins to practice his Elven gifts.

Target Practice
    Spoiler
    Show

10 arrows at 30 feet, then 45, 60, 75, and 100. The first set is all at +5, the rest are at +4.
    (10d20)[15][2][17][4][8][7][4][9][1][20](87)
    (10d20)[7][12][5][20][1][17][7][13][1][11](94)
    (10d20)[8][5][10][16][3][13][5][11][9][14](94)
    (10d20)[8][17][17][14][1][9][20][11][15][3](115)
    (10d20)[2][15][19][8][18][16][2][17][8][2](107)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

John straightened his back and answers each question
    "Name?..."John Walt!
    "Specialty?..."Ranged Combat
    "Do you have any prior military or combat experience?..."Sir Yes Sir!
    "Do you currently have any diseases or ailments?..."Sir No Sir!
    "Are you able to adhere to a steady regiment of calisthenics and physical training?..."Sir Yes Sir!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Evan Loneblade

Evan reads the letter twice, just to make sure he was comprehending it right. He walks up to the squad leader, still not believing that this is really happening. Evan faces the man and says in an emotionless voice, "I have been transferred to another training program, sir. Permission to gather up my belongings for this new assignment, sir?"
    Last edited by Ryuk01; 2010-10-22 at 07:12 AM.
    Posting rate will be very slow for the time being. I'm really sorry to all those in my PbP games.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Deklin

After making the rounds of the castles inner defenses the fair haired human took some time to mill about with any common soldiers that were about the place, making small talk with them and commenting on past battles he may have heard of.

After some fraternizing with the foot soldiers he made his way back to the church, to seek a small bite to eat and see if Brother Hector had anything he could do around the church before nightfall
    Last edited by Cleavon; 2010-10-22 at 10:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

John Walt
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Allright guys, everything checks out. Jardine here will take you to Lieutenant Stroker. He will serve as your link to the regular Athlan military." He turns to Man-at-Arms Jardine. "Dismissed!"

The soldier leads you past the castle and to an encampment further southeast. The camp sits directly on the south flank of the palisades and overlooks the Saint Esmond River. Here you see a motley gathering of various humanoids dressed in rugged clothing, and sporting a wide variety of weapons and armor. Jardine points you in the general direction of the Lieutenant's tent, and cuts the 4 of you loose.

A tall black haired human approaches you. He has a well polished cuirass and leather greaves. His arms are left mostly exposed to show off his large biceps. He has a greatsword on his back with an ornate blue hilt. You must be the new meat! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Garret Carver, Swordman of The Fighter's Guild. Perhaps you've heard of us?" He gives you a brief cocky grin. "I thought id come down here and show these Kenelm idiots what i think about their pathetic army. Anyway, this is the merc camp. Pull up a stump and make your self at home! Come on, let me introduce you to some of the guys..." He spends the next couple of hours showing you around the camp and introducing you to other members of The Fighters Guild.

Evan Loneblade
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Granted. Dismissed." As a member of the Athlan military, you still have acces to all of the same areas around the castle: the commesary, the barracks, the armory, the forge, etc. You have the rest of the day to do whatever you want. Mundane items can be purchased around town with your 10gp.

Deklin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brother Hector asks you to speak to the commonfolk and comfort them.
    (OOC: This can be just a diplomacy check to give some comforting words, or depending on how you spend your bonus skill points, could be an actual sermon. This will earn some VPs for boosting citizen morale.)
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-22 at 09:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Emalus
    After finishing the work on the ballistas, Emalus begins searching the shops for some supplies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking to buy: 10 pints of oil, spell component pouch, regent for 2 tinder-twigs and 1 flask of acid.
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2010-10-22 at 04:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lady Elizabeth
    After conversing with Brother Hector, Lady Elizabeth will go to the town general store, and pick up a few items:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sack, a sunrod, a flask of water, and some hemp rope

24. - Top - End - #24

Evan Loneblade
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up untill the point when you got the letter, you were crafting and repairing various items to prepare the town for the war effort. The ammount of progress you made will have an effect on the outcome of the first few battles. [roll a craft check for some VPs]

Emalus
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll a craft check for some VPs]
    You make your way into town. Most of the shops are on Main street, amongst them you see the familiar glowing orb of the apothecary. The kindly old man behind the counter helps you with all your needs. [10gp spent.]

Lady Elizabeth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you leave, Brother Hector asks you to head to the stables and help the stable hands bit barding to the new horses that just came in.
    [roll a handle animal check for some VPs.]

You head to Main street where you know the shops to be. The adventurers shop is one of the few shops with both a plackard, and a sign with the name of the shop "The Spelunker." It is likewise one of the few shops with a high rate of literate clientelle. Tending the store is a lady wearing a simple dress and bonnet. She introduces herself as the proprietor's wife and helps you find everything you need. She seems more happy to chat with a member of the church than frightened by your appearance. [3gp, 1sp, 3cp spent.]

25. - Top - End - #25

Lady Elizabeth
    The knight agrees to help, and heads over to the stables. She attempts to keep the horses calm while the stable hands put the armor on.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14] handle animal check

26. - Top - End - #26

Next Day

Deklin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wayshrine of Ilmater, dawn.

After a brief trip, you reach the wayshrine. There is a marble statue depicting Ilmater throwing himself in front of a spear to save an innocent child, a scene from 'The Twelve Sermons of Ilmater.' Religious pilgrims sometimes visit this shrine. It is customary for them to pour a vial of holy water on the nearby altar to symbolize Ilmaters tears.

All around the wayshrine, you see a few dozen armor clad humans, many on horseback. Two in particular stand out. One is clad in a full plate mail panoply. His sheathed sword has a bejeweled handle, and his shield bears the holy symbol of Tyr. The other appears to be a female. She is wearing simple armor, like most of the other soldiers you've encountered. She stands out because of her red skin, red eyes and malformed devil-like horns. Despite her fiendish apperance, the area does not smell of brimstone. She bears the tabbard of the church of Torm.

Brother Hector is waiting quitetly next to the altar, clad in his traditional brown robe. After a couple more people arrive, he begins his speech. "Trying times are soon to be upon us. The forces of The Black Lord march toward our cities, destroying everything in their path. It is our duty to shelter the innocent, and protect the weak. We must heal the wounds of good men, and lend them our strength when their own strength fails them. We must sacrifice all for the greater good, and if we do, The Triad will stand with us. Its might will become our might, and evil will once again be vanquished!"

Brother Hector lowers his head so that his face is no longer visible under is large hood. "There is an even greater service The Church asks of you all. When the war machine of Kenelm crosses our boarders, it will carry with it an unholy taint. We need the purest of souls and the holiest of men to lead the charge as we push back. We can not lead from the rear. We must not wait untill the battle is over to heal survivers. We will not send good men to do dangerous jobs for us! I wish for you rightous warriors of The Triad to join the ranks of the Athan military, and to perform above and beyond the call of duty. You will rise into leadership positions. Through stern but compassionate leadership, we will lead this army to victory the right way! For The Triad! For the monarch! For Athla!!!"

Lady Elizabeth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wayshrine of Ilmater, dawn.

After a brief trip, you reach the wayshrine. There is a marble statue depicting Ilmater throwing himself in front of a spear to save an innocent child, a scene from 'The Twelve Sermons of Ilmater.' Religious pilgrims sometimes visit this shrine. It is customary for them to pour a vial of holy water on the nearby altar to symbolize Ilmaters tears.

All around the wayshrine, you see a few dozen armor clad humans, many on horseback. Two in particular stand out. One is clad in a full plate mail panoply. His sheathed sword has a bejeweled handle, and his shield bears the holy symbol of Tyr. The other is a fair haired male human. He wears the tabbard of the church of Tyr and is currently whispering a brief prayer while he waits for Brother Hector to begin.

Brother Hector is waiting quitetly next to the altar, clad in his traditional brown robe. After a couple more people arrive, he begins his speech. "Trying times are soon to be upon us. The forces of The Black Lord march toward our cities, destroying everything in their path. It is our duty to shelter the innocent, and protect the weak. We must heal the wounds of good men, and lend them our strength when their own strength fails them. We must sacrifice all for the greater good, and if we do, The Triad will stand with us. Its might will become our might, and evil will once again be vanquished!"

Brother Hector lowers his head so that his face is no longer visible under is large hood. "There is an even greater service The Church asks of you all. When the war machine of Kenelm crosses our boarders, it will carry with it an unholy taint. We need the purest of souls and the holiest of men to lead the charge as we push back. We can not lead from the rear. We must not wait untill the battle is over to heal survivers. We will not send good men to do dangerous jobs for us! I wish for you rightous warriors of The Triad to join the ranks of the Athan military, and to perform above and beyond the call of duty. You will rise into leadership positions. Through stern but compassionate leadership, we will lead this army to victory the right way! For The Triad! For the monarch! For Athla!!!"

Emalus
    Spoiler
    Show
    South Armory, dawn.

You arrive at the south armory and see a little over a dozen other soldiers waiting outside. Some are archers, some have a sword and shield, some have a two handed weapon, one even appears to be some sort of wizard. Most of them look very professional and very serious.

A man wearing black leather armor emerges from the armory. He has a rapier at his hip, a green bandanna, a bandoleer with several daggers, a shortbow and a quiver on his back. He also has a stack of papers in his hand.

"Good morning everyone. My name is Senior Man-at-Arms Jacob Huntly, but from now on you can all call me 'Hunter.' Today will be your first day of training in the Mixed Unit Tactics Squad. Those of you who complete the training will become full fledged M.U.T.S and go on to perform many important duties for Athla. Best of luck to you all.

He appears to allready be able to put a face to each name on his list. One at a time, he briefly interviews each soldier.

After that process is done, everyone is split into groups depending on their specialty. There is only one other siege engineer in the group, a gnome who refers to himself as Bolo. The two of you dont get to interact very much. You spend most of the day testing and firing various siege engines. 4 man crews of regular army troops are sent in to assist you, and rotated out periodically.

You are given difficult, indirect shots to make. You get in a lot of practice working with spotters and untrained crews. You learn to trust your scouts, and the infantry learns to trust your aim when firing danger close. You become intimately familiar with the Athlan system for directing artillery.

After a long day of training, you are ordered back to your bunk for some mandatory reading. You are given your own copy of "Codex of Magic Siege Engines vol. iii" and expected to read the first two chapters by tomorrow. Finally, a siege engine program suited to your superior intellect.

Aramil Whitewood
    Spoiler
    Show
    South Armory, dawn.

You arrive at the south armory and see a little over a dozen other soldiers waiting outside. Some are archers, some have a sword and shield, some have a two handed weapon, one even appears to be some sort of wizard. Most of them look very professional and very serious.

A man wearing black leather armor emerges from the armory. He has a rapier at his hip, a green bandanna, a bandoleer with several daggers, a shortbow and a quiver on his back. He also has a stack of papers in his hand.

"Good morning everyone. My name is Senior Man-at-Arms Jacob Huntly, but from now on you can all call me 'Hunter.' Today will be your first day of training in the Mixed Unit Tactics Squad. Those of you who complete the training will become full fledged M.U.T.S and go on to perform many important duties for Athla. Best of luck to you all.

He appears to allready be able to put a face to each name on his list. One at a time, he briefly interviews each soldier.

After that process is done, everyone is split into groups depending on their specialty. You are sent to the M.U.T.S special range with 4 other archers. You are given difficult shots on moving targets and targets with cover. Various simulatins are set up with dummies and mock siege engines. Towers are build with fine arrow slits you are expected to fire into. Most of your shots miss, but you do slightly better than any of the other rookies, and your misses have tighter groupings.

Durring a break you get to see some of the experienced archers make a few warmup runs before starting their field training for the day. Not only do they make difficult shots, but some of them are able to pull it off firing 2 or 3 arrows at a time.

After a long day of training, you are ordered to get some chow, then take it easy, and report back at dawn tomorrow.

[Listen Success!] You faintly hear what sounds like horns blowing in the distance, to the east. If your keen ears can barely make out the sound, you wonder if anyone else can hear it.

Evan Loneblade
    Spoiler
    Show
    South Armory, dawn.

After that process is done, everyone is split into groups depending on their specialty. You and 2 rough-and-tumble looking humans are sent to an obstacle course of sorts. Its mostly running, jumping, climbing and dodging. The second half of the day is pure melee training. All 3 of you use a 2-handed weapon, and are tought various stances and maneuvers specific to that combat style.

After a long day of training the 3 of you are ordered to take it easy for the rest of the evening, and report back at dawn tomorrow.

John Walt
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mercenary Camp, dawn.

You awake the next morning to the sounds of Athlan trumpets. They like to wake the troops up at dawn, and by proxy, the mercenaries. The guild fighters dont mind letting you use their fire to heat up your rations.

For the most part, mercenaries are left to their own devices. Some are on the south end of the camp digging trenches. Some are constructing barricades and fences. Others are practicing their melee skills.

[OOC: everyone gets 1 bonus skill point per level so they can handle the teamwork benefits. since you get 4 at first level, you still have 4 skill points to spend. you can still pick a teamwork benefit too. decide what you want to do to help the mercenaries, and you will get some VPs depending on how helpful it is.]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Craft Check: (1d20+5)[10] (12)

Evan Loneblade

For the rest of the evening, Evan hammered at his work in the forge. He tirelessly crafted and repaired items, and let his mind wander with thoughts of tomorrows training. He was quite content with his work, feeling that he had finally found a home. No longer did he have to make his own decisions and feel out of place; he could happily serve under a commander now and was acknowledged and accepted by the Athlans. After several hours of work in the forge, Evan ventured out to the South Armory. His dull green eyes watched slivers of sunlight break through the clouds an hour after arrival, indicating the start of another long day of training.
    Last edited by Ryuk01; 2010-10-24 at 12:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgotten World
    Casters OOC IC
    War is Coming OOC IC
    Curse of Wizardry

28. - Top - End - #28

Emalus
    Having finished most of his reading while walking back to the barracks, and finishing the rest quickly, Emalus begins to make his regents into usable supplies. He finishes work on the tinder-twigs with ease, and moves on to the slow process of making acid without a proper lab.

29. - Top - End - #29

Griffon

Aramil Whitewind

The elf makes a quick trip down to the market to buy an extra quiver of arrows and a dagger, then if at all possible he would use the extra four hours of waking time he gets to run the training course again with the new arrows.

Spoiler
    Show

Bought Dagger (2 gp)
    Bought 20 Arrows (1 gp)

30. - Top - End - #30

Emalus
    Spoiler
    Show
    You breeze through your required reading. The first two chapters are more of an outline of the basic principles behind crafting and operating magic siege engines. You can tell from the table of contents that the book contains various types of elemental siege engines that do not require physical ammunition, as well as magic ammunition that can be fired from nonmagic siege engines. You can also see that seige engines and ammunition can be enhanced like weapons and armor.

As much as you wish to read on, the sense of urgency to prepare your supplies compels you. You make good progress, getting 8 hours worth of work done before the city goes on alert.

Aramil Whitewood
    Spoiler
    Show
    You head to Main street where you know the shops to be. The adventurers shop is one of the few shops with both a plackard, and a sign with the name of the shop "The Spelunker." It is likewise one of the few shops with a high rate of literate clientelle. Tending the store is a lady wearing a simple dress and bonnet. She introduces herself as the proprietor's wife and helps you find everything you need. [3gp spent.]

Everyone
    As dusk begins to approach, the city goes on high alert. Some commonfolk hunker down in their homes, while the last few stragglers finally leave town while they can. Archers rush to the palisades, while platoons of hoplites and pikemen form up outside the city walls.

M.U.T.S Recruits
    Since you are no longer with your previous units, you are not sure where you are supposed to be. You are simply a trainee in your new unit; You not have any assignments or a post.

Triad Members
    The temples are now vacant. Brother Hector is in his quarters meditating. The ironclad warrior from the wayshrine sits atop his majestic white mount and makes rounds around the city, inspiring the troops. He is Knight of the Lance, Ashwin Dhruv. A veteran of the conflict in Bravarra, he saw his master Amos Rilos fall in combat. He now serves under Lopt Grendson, Ki Warlord of the Triad.

Mercenaries
    Your job is fairly clear. Protect the south flank of the palisades, so the archers can defent the castle from a frontal assault.
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2010-10-24 at 04:27 PM.