New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default So i think i finished my Crusader/Cleric build, but i have one major hole (3.5)

And that, oddly enough, is defensive capability. allow me to present Phoebus, who's backstory includes rapidly gaining ranks through a campaign for Pelor in the fight against evil and undead. the campaign is City of the Spider Queen, we are full gestalt and have 1.5x level 10 wealth

i decided to go with adamantine fullplate for DR 3/- instead of mithril. i prepared an Iron Silence in case i need to hide and move silently, but that really isnt often going to be an option for me.

i think i prepared the right spells, i dont know what i am going to persist, and i dont know what maneuvers i am going to ready for the day.

My Nimbus is a homebrewed weapon that is like a lucerne hammer, but reflavored to be like a mace with reach

any idea what i can do to improve my defense?

EDIT: so i didnt sink a lot of money into my weapon, but that is because next level i get another domain, which i am getting the glory domain and persisting Holy Sword
    Last edited by gallagher; 2010-10-24 at 12:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: So i think i finished my Crusader/Cleric build, but i have one major hole (3.5)

My role primarily is as a healer/defender, secondarily i am a melee combatant. i am AFB right now, but is there any spell that would give me a different kind of armor (natural armor i think would be best)?
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: So i think i finished my Crusader/Cleric build, but i have one major hole (3.5)

You could try to get an Animated Shield. Animated Heavy Shield would help a lot, and you can then Magic Vestment your armor and shield for an extra point of AC each (no need for Persistence). This would ramp you up to 25. You could get to 30 quite easily. Then you can probably maintain Protection/Magic Circle against Evil all day with simple repeated castings for 2 points of deflection. You could also consider Shield of Faith. Note that you can cast Greater Resistance [SC] which is 24 hours and +3 Resistance to saves.

The other option is getting Monk's Belt, casting Greater Luminous Armor [BoED] for your AC bonus and screwing the Plate. Further, you can use Lesser Restoration to rid yourself of the penalties and then you can Magic Vestment your Luminous Armor. And again, get some Deflection. Oh, and Conviction [SC] should help your saves further. There's no excuse for failing saves as a Cleric.

Spells that might be of interest for persisting in this sense:
    Surge of Fortune [Complete Champion] (comes with +2 Luck to basically everything, can be dismissed to Take 20)
    Recitation [Spell Compendium] (+3 Luck instead, but no Dismissal abilities or such)

Holy Star [Spell Compendium] will be a nice one in couple of levels. There's also something that grants Morale bonuses defensively, IIRC, but obviously you'll want some offense too (Righteous Might, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, something of the sort). And don't forget, 10 min/level is easy to make all day.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

how much will an animated shield run me?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    how much will an animated shield run me?
    9k and chillings; about 9150.

Don't forget that "taking hit and absorbing it between DR, Delayed Damage Pool & Temporary HP" is a perfectly viable approach too, btw.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-10-24 at 02:22 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

is there anything that i might want to switch my tower shield proficiency for? i know there is a rule somewhere that allows you to switch exotic shield proficiency. is there something that would be more useful?

or is there an ACF that can switch the shield proficiency all-together?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    is there anything that i might want to switch my tower shield proficiency for? i know there is a rule somewhere that allows you to switch exotic shield proficiency. is there something that would be more useful?

or is there an ACF that can switch the shield proficiency all-together?
    Races of Stone allows switching Tower Shield Proficiency for Extreme Shield Proficiency; Extremes are +3 but with no penalties. It's only intended for Fighters but if you can swing that, go for it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Races of Stone allows switching Tower Shield Proficiency for Extreme Shield Proficiency; Extremes are +3 but with no penalties. It's only intended for Fighters but if you can swing that, go for it.
    hah, i have a picture in my head of an animated gnome battle cloak. that is priceless. and fashionable in the right colors.

also, i am currently reading up on some special power components in complete champion. any advice on those?
    Spoiler
    Show