New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bear Warrior+Wild Shape, the argument again?

I've seen it argued that the Bear Warrior's transformation into a bear (and resulting stat boosts) doesn't stack with wildshape, because they are both polymorph effects and polymorph has a no-stacking rule. Is the no-stacking referred to one of those on page 172 of the PHB (Same Effect with Differing Results or One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant), or is it another such rule?

Please keep this thread bearable until the question has been answered. After that you can let your bear natures run wild.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bear Warrior+Wild Shape, the argument again?

Apparently the requested rules clarification was unbearably grizzly. Perhaps one more attempt to panda to the masses before the thread hibernates.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Apparently the requested rules clarification was unbearably grizzly. Perhaps one more attempt to panda to the masses before the thread hibernates.
    I see what you did there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think a better question than "do they stack or not?" is "why the hell would you have Druid, Barbarian, and Bear Warrior levels in the same character?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post
    I think a better question than "do they stack or not?" is "why the hell would you have Druid, Barbarian, and Bear Warrior levels in the same character?"
    Avengic druid with a 1 level dip into bear warrior?

6. - Top - End - #6

Nice, hadn't thought of that.

At any rate, I don't know of a RAW reason why the two don't stack. The alternate form text, which Wild Shape works from, specifically says that extraordinary special attacks derived from class levels are retained while in an alternate form (the example given is rage). There is nothing in the alternate form or polymorph texts to indicate that they cannot be stacked; while this may be absurd, it is also RAW-legal.

I would rule that these stack in the same way as Wild Shape stacks with the Bite of Were-Something spells in the Spell Compendium. I might (depending on the optimization level in the game) houserule that it doesn't work that way, or simply ban Wild Shape to begin with, but that's neither here nor there because the thread is about RAW.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, why would you want them to stack? what do you gain if they stack?

I'm not really seeing much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'd either use up a rage to turn into a bear from whatever you were wildshaped into (possibly wasting the wildshape) or you use up a wildshape to turn into another animal rather than a bear or in addition to having turned into a bear if you wildshape after choosing to turn into a bear (as it's up to your discretion to transform when raging)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Please keep puns to a minimum or this thread is going to be un-bearable.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, why would you want them to stack? what do you gain if they stack?

I'm not really seeing much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'd either use up a rage to turn into a bear from whatever you were wildshaped into (possibly wasting the wildshape) or you use up a wildshape to turn into another animal rather than a bear or in addition to having turned into a bear if you wildshape after choosing to turn into a bear (as it's up to your discretion to transform when raging)...
    Turning into a bear with Bear Warrior gives bonuses to your stats, rather than replacing them, like a lycanthrope's hybrid form. The question is, can you get these bonuses on top of your wildshape stats?

And as for use, I was thinking Wildshape Ranger/Barbarian/Bear Warrior actually.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indeed - Bear Warrior adds bonuses to stats, Wild shaper replaces them wholesale as Polymorph. They're polar opposites.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Stop that

It is unbearable the puns.
    Rater than Wild shape from druid why not a disciple of Bharri? It also gives at will polymorph.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

While the rules might permit it, logically, I have trouble seeing how you'd continue to gain the stat boosts for being a bear once you become something other than a bear. Plus, you'd get into a furry party-balance situation if you use bear-rage, bear-wildshape and bite of the werebear all at once to become a bear-bear-werebear. AC, hit, and damage get thrown all out of whack.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    bear-bear-werebear.
    How unbearable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    bear-bear-werebear
    A much more dangerous version of duck-duck-goose...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

What about an anthromorphic bear bear warrior who's been inflicted with ursine lycanthropy and has bite of the werebear cast on him?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by HandofCrom View Post
    What about an anthromorphic bear bear warrior who's been inflicted with ursine lycanthropy and has bite of the werebear cast on him?
    That would be the infamous Bearington Bearman the Bearbearian. An Anthromorphic Bear Were-Bear Bear Totem Barbarian/Bear Warrior/Bear Lord with a Bear Wild Cohort. And Improved Unarmed Strike, so he can kill things with his bear hands.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-10-26 at 01:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Grizzly or polar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

18. - Top - End - #18

Bearington only uses Black Bear, to keep him from needing Gestalt or Epic.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Grizzly or polar?
    I think it bearely makes a difference.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Just to remind people of the purpose of this thread, since I did request we delay derailing it until it was answered: does anyone here think that RAW you can't have stacking bear wildshape and bear warrior stats? If so, do you base your conclusion on the passage mentioned in the OP? I really just want a clear idea of what's being argued, and my google-fu has been insufficient to find it.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

On topic, wild shape and lycanthropcy are thr alternate form special power, though lycanthropcy includes that it adds stat bonuses instead of replacing. As a creature with multiple alternate forms, such as a vampire, cannot take more than one alternate form at a time (even though turning into a wolf-bat would be awesome), I think you cannot stack alternate forms. I'm not sure if bear warrior's ability is called alternate form, but if it is, I'd say you couldn't stack it with any other alternate form. If not, I'm not sure if you could do it.

However, if I remember correctly, bite of the werebear just provides enhancement bonuses and stacks as normal.

22. - Top - End - #22

On topic, wild shape and lycanthropcy are thr alternate form special power, though lycanthropcy includes that it adds stat bonuses instead of replacing. As a creature with multiple alternate forms, such as a vampire, cannot take more than one alternate form at a time (even though turning into a wolf-bat would be awesome), I think you cannot stack alternate forms. I'm not sure if bear warrior's ability is called alternate form, but if it is, I'd say you couldn't stack it with any other alternate form. If not, I'm not sure if you could do it.
    This. I don't have CW in front of me, but if the bear form is listed as an alternate form, I don't think they'd stack. If it's listed as a form of rage (which I think it is) then by RAW they would stack (as listed in the text of alternate form). As a DM, I'd probably rule they stack, but that's just me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I think he's right. While Bear Warrior's Bear Shape ability gives you bonuses instead of changing your stats to those of a bear (unlike nearly every other form of shape change OTHER than lycanthropy), it still explicitly turns you into a bear, complete with fur, claws, teeth, and grumpy disposition. The abilities you get are dependant on that form.

There are pretty clear rules on stacking muliple forms, IE they don't. If you Alter Self into a Troglodyte then Polymorph into a Troll, you lose the traits of the Trog you picked up because Polymorph supercedes Alter Self. Multiple changes to size and/or shape never stack. I don't think Bear Warrior would be an exception to that just because it gives bonuses rather than fixed abilities. It still changes your form, and its bonuses are based on the form you take.

Thats about as close to RAW as you are gonna get, methinks. If noone has any disagreements, I'd like to make a motion that we return to rediculous bear puns until the situation becomes to dire to bear.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

We could discuss astrology. What's ursine?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

There are pretty clear rules on stacking muliple forms, IE they don't. If you Alter Self into a Troglodyte then Polymorph into a Troll, you lose the traits of the Trog you picked up because Polymorph supercedes Alter Self. Multiple changes to size and/or shape never stack. I don't think Bear Warrior would be an exception to that just because it gives bonuses rather than fixed abilities. It still changes your form, and its bonuses are based on the form you take.
    Then please answer the question of the thread. Are those rules the ones on page 172 of the PHB, or are they not? That's all I'm trying to find out here.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say its the latter. One effect makes the other irrelevant. If you Wild Shape into a lion, then bear rage, you'll turn from a lion into a bear (skipping tiger, oh my!). As a bear, you'll have bear stats and bear attack modes. Since you are no longer a lion, you won't have lion attack modes, stats, or abilities. When your rage ends, assuming your Wild Shape is still running, you'd shift back into a lion. As a lion, you'd have the MM physical stats for a lion. As a bear, you'd have your characters base physical stats, plus the bear bonuses.

You can't simultaneously be both a bear and a lion and a tiger (bliger?). Order of application would then be important. If you start as a bear and become a lion, you'd be a lion. If you started as a lion and became a bear, you'd be a bear.

27. - Top - End - #27

You can't simultaneously be both a bear and a lion
    you sir have never heard of the legendary bion!

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

28. - Top - End - #28

I'd say its the latter. One effect makes the other irrelevant. If you Wild Shape into a lion, then bear rage, you'll turn from a lion into a bear (skipping tiger, oh my!). As a bear, you'll have bear stats and bear attack modes. Since you are no longer a lion, you won't have lion attack modes, stats, or abilities. When your rage ends, assuming your Wild Shape is still running, you'd shift back into a lion. As a lion, you'd have the MM physical stats for a lion. As a bear, you'd have your characters base physical stats, plus the bear bonuses.

You can't simultaneously be both a bear and a lion and a tiger (bliger?). Order of application would then be important. If you start as a bear and become a lion, you'd be a lion. If you started as a lion and became a bear, you'd be a bear.
    Except that bear form gives you pluses to stats, rather than replacing them, like a lycanthrope. A lycanthrope basically is a human and a wolf, for example. Bear form can be looked at like that (unless it is listed as an alternate form, then they don't stack).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nysisobli View Post
    you sir have never heard of the legendary bion!
    For convenience, people call it bison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I expect you're going to find that it's a legal RAW loophole, but killed by a fairly straightforward application of RAI. The bear warrior's ability is phrased to provide bonuses, rather than replace your stats, but it's far more than coincidence that the bonuses provided are the exact same as the racial ability score bonuses a bear receives. If you de-bear yourself by turning into something unbearish, the bonuses ought to go away. Again, that's RAI, not RAW but it's reasonable, IMO.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-26 at 03:05 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.