New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon GITP League

What kind of pokemon are we using? obviously we don't have tiers yet since we are doing Gen V, but are we eliminating, for example, anything above a certain BST, or anything you can only get once (or from events) (legendaries and a few others)?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    What kind of pokemon are we using? obviously we don't have tiers yet since we are doing Gen V, but are we eliminating, for example, anything above a certain BST, or anything you can only get once (or from events) (legendaries and a few others)?
    Tiers? Oh god, don't drag tiers into pokemon. Dx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    ...You haven't been paying attention to competitive Pokémon at all, have you? There are defined competitive tiers for every generation of Pokémon except Gen V, and that's only because Gen V is still less than two months old. Sites like Smogon are only starting to build up the Gen V metagame.

4. - Top - End - #34

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...You haven't been paying attention to competitive Pokémon at all, have you? There are defined competitive tiers for every generation of Pokémon except Gen V, and that's only because Gen V is still less than two months old. Sites like Smogon are only starting to build up the Gen V metagame.
    I've never competitively played pokemon. Didn't even know people did until I saw an add for the pokecenter that came out in NY. (well, I knew people played the card game, there's an add on one of my old movies).

And I can imagine competitive play taking all the fun out of it. "Agh, this pokemon doesn't give me the EVs I need! -run away-"

And wow, metagame? Really? That's really getting into Pokemon pretty hardcore. And I devoted probably 1/3 of my life to pokemon.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-11-01 at 10:32 PM.
    Not again...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

And wow, metagame? Really? That's really getting into Pokemon pretty hardcore. And I devoted probably 1/3 of my life to pokemon.
    This. Is. Nothing. Pokémon's metagame is structured heavily around solid numerical data, much as the game is. Now, see, a fighting game, that's where metagame gets a lot softer, but Pokémon has a numerical metagame on the level of D&D's.

The funny thing is, this is all easy math. It's not rocket science... trust me. "Rocket Science" is a required course in my major.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Indeed, once a person REALLY gets into competitive Pokemon, it's quite complicated. Tiers and rules are basically a NECESSITY since some Pokemon clearly can't compete on the levels of others. Without those, it'd likely be close to nonesense, basically.

Anyways, if any spots are still open by the time Black/White comes out in the US, I might join. I don't really like how PO allows you to go wild with Dream World abilities before they're even released yet and how undeveloped the metagame currently is. In typical games I wouldn't really care about this, but an overcentralized metagame in Pokemon is just boring. As it stands now, it's more overcentralized than I'm used to.
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-11-02 at 01:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PKF995 View Post
    Indeed, once a person REALLY gets into competitive Pokemon, it's quite complicated.
    It's actually not that complicated. It seems complicated, but it isn't much more so than a strategy game: you need to know what you're likely to be facing, its strengths and weaknesses, what you're bringing, and your strengths and weaknesses. When building a team, you focus on minimizing your (overall) weaknesses and maximizing your strengths, with enough diversity in the team to avoid crippling yourself with overspecialization. If you use the work already done by metagame analysts like Smogon, then that simply makes the job faster.

8. - Top - End - #38

It gets boring when every single team has a Kyogre and a Palkia. Real boring.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

If we do something like pokemon online instead of using the actual games, then that wouldn't be using wifi, so I could join.

I doubt i'd use gen V pokemon, if only because I haven't played B/W yet.

What sort of restrictions are there for teams, non leaders and elite 4 that is. Can we change our team around or do we have to stick with one team? Ethier way you should have to fight the elite 4 with the same team.
    Last edited by Level8Mudcrab; 2010-11-02 at 02:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    Umm, there will definately be some restrictions, just so this isn't a "IMMA GONNA USE DEM LEGENDARIES SO I CAN PWN THE N00B LEADERS, CUZ IM L33T" I'm thinking it will be close to what Smogon has, 'cause they know what they are doing... but I will definately look at Gen V and we will have to come up with what shouldn't be allowed and what should be restricted.

Without Gen V's inclusion into these lists, here's what we've got.
    Overused as defined by Smogon - Would be restricted to only two per team.
    Uber as defined by Smogon - Would be ineligible for competition.

Thoughts?
    Want to be a Master? Join the GitP Pokemon League.

Pokemon Online Server:
    206.45.187.148:5080
    pokegitp.dyndns.org:5080

Main League Thread

11. - Top - End - #41

Hmm, seems okay, though I think maybe it should be 3 pokemon at most in the OU tier.

12. - Top - End - #42

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMandriller View Post
    It gets boring when every single team has a Kyogre and a Palkia. Real boring.
    Yeah, but those pokemon look pretty dumb, so I'd never use them. xD

Edit: Wobboffet is uber teir? Who would've guessed.

And why isn't shuckle up there? Considering it can hit harder than any other pokemon.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-11-02 at 07:27 AM.
    Not again...

13. - Top - End - #43

@Level8Mudcrab - You would have to register your team before you begin challenging the Leaders. I am debating on being able to register 8 or 10 pokemon, that way you had some choice as to who you used. I also agree that the Pokemon you battle the Elite Four with must be the exact same. Were you thinking of being a leader, or just a challenger??

@bue52 - OU can be really annoying to battle, I think I will be shrinking the list a bit and mostly restricting Pokemon with high Base Stat Totals. Smogon is just a good place to start. I think that if we do have 8 Pokemon, you should only be able to register 2, and if you register 10 Pokemon, you should only be able to register 3 Pokemon, but only have 2 in any battle.

@Lhurgyof - It's because of Wobbofett's ability. And I don't know what is up with Shuckle, so I can't comment.

Pokemon Online Server:

Main League Thread

14. - Top - End - #44

I see your point, I think maybe registering 10 pokemon to be used then picking 6 for a battle seems like a decent plan.

The OU system is also based on the popularity of using the said pokemon. Shuckle is there because it is one of the strongest defensive walls (both physical and special in comparison to say Blissey and Skamory), people tend to use it with toxic, protect and sandstorm, or use power trick to give it a superb physical attack to bulldoze its way through the game.
    Last edited by bue52; 2010-11-02 at 08:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

And just so everyone knows, I have the Pokemon Online Server up and running if people want to try it out. It will have a dedicated home in the next day or so, but right now it is running off of one of my computers.

Just download Pokemon Online from here and when you "go online" scroll down until you see GitP League.

Alternatively, you can manually connect by connecting to 206.45.187.148:5080, or miner.ath.cx:5080
    Last edited by Ilnaeas; 2010-11-02 at 08:18 PM.

Pokemon Online Server:

Main League Thread

16. - Top - End - #46

Yeah, but those pokemon look pretty dumb, so I'd never use them. xD

Edit: Wobboffet is uber teir? Who would've guessed.

And why isn't shuckle up there? Considering it can hit harder than any other pokemon.
    Shuckle has amazing defense and special defense but all of its other stats are horrible. Shuckle's amazing defenses make it okay for walling opponents but its horribly low HP actually undercuts this a fair bit meaning its not even exceptional here. Even if Shuckle has maxed HP and high enough defenses to take a fair few hits its terrible attack stat and lack luster move set means that it really isn't doing much apart from stalling.

You put forth the idea of a Shuckle that can hit harder than any other Pokemon so I can only assume you are talking about using power trick to switch its attack and defense stats. If you did power trick a Shuckle you'd be left with a Pokemon with the equivalent of these base stats:

20 HP
    230 Attack
    10 Defense
    230 Special Attack
    10 Special Defense
    5 speed

See those tiny Defense, HP and Speed stats? Yeah your Shuckle is getting OHKO'd no matter what. Of course this is largely irrelevant because Shuckle is prime bait to get hit by the move "Taunt" (which is hugely used) which would prevent it from using any non-attacking moves so the chance of you even getting this power trick off are very low. Basically yeah, Shuckle isn't very good, I still use one though because I love him . Also he has a Stealth Rock (another hugely used moved) weakness so if he switches in to wall something and Stealth Rocks are down hes already lost 25% of his health before any moves are even used.

EDIT: I should add that Shuckle isn't entirely useless and on the right teams and in the right conditions he can function quite well however for the bulk of situations there is another Pokemon that does his same job a lot better than him.
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2010-11-02 at 08:56 AM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

17. - Top - End - #47

Minor nitpick: Doesn't power trick only switch shuckle's physical stats? Its sp def & atk should stay the same.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by bue52 View Post
    Minor nitpick: Doesn't power trick only switch shuckle's physical stats? Its sp def & atk should stay the same.
    Yeah you're probably right its been ages since I've played so I've forgotten, either way its at most going to kill 1 thing before it gets killed and this is only if it manages to get its power trick off successfully. Now that I think about it most sword dance 'mons will probably end up attacking with a bigger attack stat and better move set anyway .

Anyway about this league thing I might end up participating but definitely not as a Gym leader, I don't think I'll have enough spare time to sink into that job and it would be unfair to make the commitment and then never have time for anyone who wants to challenge me . I'm kind of interested to be a challenger though seeing as I had a bunch of IV'd/EV'd/Natured/Move Bred 'mons in Gen IV I use to play semi competitively with so I'm no stranger to the finer points of pokemon battling .

I've never competitively played pokemon. Didn't even know people did until I saw an add for the pokecenter that came out in NY. (well, I knew people played the card game, there's an add on one of my old movies).

And I can imagine competitive play taking all the fun out of it. "Agh, this pokemon doesn't give me the EVs I need! -run away-"

Different kinds of fun really, some people enjoy maxing out every last point out of their Pokemon and then battling against like minded individuals. I enjoy breeding and EV training my Pokemon but there is a shockingly huge amount of singleplayer content I haven't even touched and likely never will. We all find fun in different ways and if this isn't the one for you then that's totally cool but just remember that for some people its the only way Pokemon is fun .
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

19. - Top - End - #49

For me, I just like to EV train and play..... the Battle Frontier XD Seriously, I don't find the competitive scene very fun, and I tend to favour tourneys that are more about the fun than the competition (Like a Halloween themed tournament I say recently). My goal is to EV maximize ALL my captured pokemon based on their Natures, so what if my articuno is brave, can't have all of those birds out there be modest, now can we.

20. - Top - End - #50

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by thetsyman View Post
    Yeah you're probably right its been ages since I've played so I've forgotten, either way its at most going to kill 1 thing before it gets killed and this is only if it manages to get its power trick off successfully. Now that I think about it most sword dance 'mons will probably end up attacking with a bigger attack stat and better move set anyway .

Anyway about this league thing I might end up participating but definitely not as a Gym leader, I don't think I'll have enough spare time to sink into that job and it would be unfair to make the commitment and then never have time for anyone who wants to challenge me . I'm kind of interested to be a challenger though seeing as I had a bunch of IV'd/EV'd/Natured/Move Bred 'mons in Gen IV I use to play semi competitively with so I'm no stranger to the finer points of pokemon battling .

Different kinds of fun really, some people enjoy maxing out every last point out of their Pokemon and then battling against like minded individuals. I enjoy breeding and EV training my Pokemon but there is a shockingly huge amount of singleplayer content I haven't even touched and likely never will. We all find fun in different ways and if this isn't the one for you then that's totally cool but just remember that for some people its the only way Pokemon is fun .
    Ok. That sure makes sense.
    Not again...

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So anyways Kelanrox, just to clarify, will we be using Pokemon Online's Gen 5 or Shoddy Gen 4 for this at the moment? Personally I'd rather wait, but if you're really in such a huge rush I'd like to know. Gen 4 seems preferred, even though people are losing interest in it, just because the Gen 5 meta hasn't been fleshed out yet.

22. - Top - End - #52

@PKF995 - I believe we will be using Pokemon Online for the whole thing, and yes I would like to have this running as soon as possible, because I do not want the idea to just fade out. Personally, I see no problem with starting with Gen IV, but this Pokemon Online gives them the option of using Gen V if they want. It also allows people who do not have enough time to prepare a competitive team to still play. I know that if I don't keep pushing myself to get this going, then I will slack off and put it off, so sorry if it seems like I'm rushing, I'm just trying to make sure it happens.

Pokemon Online Server:

Main League Thread

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That's a good answer. I'll vote for Gen 4 then, I do not want to get involved in the Gen 5 Metagame yet. I'm already playing casually in Gen 5, but I'm not ready to go any further.

24. - Top - End - #54

@PKF995 - Will you be applying for Gym Leader? Or just to challenge?

Pokemon Online Server:

Main League Thread

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eh, I think I'd do decently as a challenger, but being a gym leader sounds so much more fun. It's time I get back into the game after a year-long hiatus. I'll send you an app after I decide on and make a team.

So, ALL of the Pokemon I choose need to fit a certain type? Or might there be 1-2 exceptions?
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-11-02 at 01:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

so, if i want to be a leader, i just send an application to you? and can i send 2 aplications? cause if at all possible i want to be the dragon leader, but if i cant get that i wouldent mind ice.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Don't allow Legendaries, but other than that, completely ignore tiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

28. - Top - End - #58

So, it's still a bit unclear: the gym leaders and suchlike are going to be battled over wi-fi, correct? Will they be using fully leveled 'mons, or level appropriate, closerto the games?
    Avatar by neoseph7. Avatar hosted here.

29. - Top - End - #59

I would love to apply for gym leader, but between Nanowrimo and school, I just don't have the time. I can definitely be a challenger, though!
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Can anyone else find pokemon that look serpentine beyond the ones that I have found (listed below)? I have been approved as a snake-using gym leader/E4, but I am supposed to find 10, and choose 6, and I have only found 7. (or does that only apply to challengers)
    I vote to allow, but not restrict to, Gen V, because it would even the field a bit for people who have not done much metagaming or other competitive stuff. (I am not one of those people, I do metagame a bit, but I think it's good to have a change)

Snakes I have found (final evolutions only):
    Arbok
    Gyarados
    Steelix
    Seviper
    Huntail
    #497 (B/W Grass starter final evo)
    #545 (long centipede thing)