New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Mediafire Download

Problems/Eratta:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drop me a line if you have any insights regarding these things in particular!
    • Paladins are a little too good currently. This is known and will be fixed.
    • Black Mage innate ability isn't fun right now. I hated taking away their extra damage, but giving nothing in return was lame. Open to suggestions.
    • Gambler risk vs reward payouts on Slots. The odds of winning right now are about 42%. In actual practice do you feel like the ability is worth using regularly?
    • Errata: Flawless Spell should read 'Each time Flawless Spell is taken it grants one additional use of the same spell – but still only a maximum of only once per round.' Currently the sentence ends abruptly.
    • Errata: Samurai's Break Arts now require a standard action and an opposed force/finesse roll, not an attack vs AVD.
    • Errata: Multi-hit spells - such as Comet and Trine - are game-breakingly overpowered in conjunction with certain job abilities.
    • Errata: The Confuse status effect is less brutal now - A result of 1 causes the user to act non-sensically, a result of 2-3 means they temporarily fight for the other side, and on a 4-6 the afflicted character/creature may act normally.

This is a completely standalone system at over 250 pages, with a power level much closer to Exalted than Dungeons and Dragons.

In my time working with the Final Fantasy-verse, I've developed a theory that I'd like to share with you.
    It takes a special kind of love to tackle a project of this magnitude and still finish it without absolutely loathing the source material. I've received 'helpful' emails explaining (in rather graphic detail) the reproductive cycle of the Seeq. I've been told the system is garbage because I didn't include a segment on how buster swords are the bestest weapons ever. I've spent sleepless nights poring over hundreds of wikipedia articles and sat beside a flickering Nintendo DS screen taking notes on fauna.

And yet, after all that, I still find going, "HELL yes," when Snow in FFXIII - quite conceivably one of the worst games ever made - takes out guards on his elemental...motorbike summon. I still crack a smile at "You spoony bard!" And I don't even bat an eye when I need to grind underwater foosball for fifty hours to get a character's ultimate weapon.

The FFd6 started as a project because I was dissatisfied with the other options out there. It saw completion because it was a labor of love. I hope someone out there gets some use out of it.
    Last edited by Dust; 2013-03-11 at 02:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    "You spoony bard!"
    I'm playing that game right now.

Also, yay. You finished.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I've recieved 'helpful' emails explaining (in rather graphic detail) the reproductive cycle of the Seeq. I've been told the system is garbage because I didn't include a segment on how buster swords are the bestest weapons ever.

What a weird thing to be obssessed with, people are odd (not that I'm not, but that seems especially unusual).

Thanks very much, this is the perfect gamer conversion tool (I have many friend who like FF but find D&D stupid, this is my trick to get them dice rolling )

Thanks again, I'll snag it once I get to a proper computer.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm reading through the pdf file, and I must say I'm rather impressed. The crunch seems more balanced, I love the new freelancer class, the skills have been condensed for ease of use, you got rid of the clunky weapon/armor skill level system and the similarly clunky stats cap system.

You also did well with the fluff. One of the major complaints, from reviews and to a lesser extent here, was the setting. In the last version, it was just a random smattering of pieces from different Final Fantasy games. Now, each game is given its own brief but enlightening section. Each works as a setting, and more aspirational DMs can mix and match as they please.

I like the new ways to spend destiny. Enhancing a Roll is simple and fits what destiny points are set to accomplish. You're the heroes, the main characters, you should be good at doing awesome things. Moment of Glory brings a smile to my face. I imagine that before its conception, having only 6 destiny when you needed to cheat death was immensely frustrating. Now, at least, you can go out with a bang.

The new Complications system is my favorite implementation of the critical failure rule ever. Rather then directly screwing the player over, the situation gets worse but still doable. It does so in a way that adds tension and opens new possibilities in accomplishing/overcoming the obstacles to your goals.

On the subject of goals, I'm glad to see some rules on it. A primary goal and 3 short-term goals add depth to characters in a way even traits couldn't, and ties fluff with mechanical benefits even better. At the same time, they're far more versatile then choosing from a handful of traits. I wouldn't mind seeing traits as an optional system, mind you, but the goals, the Enhance a Roll destiny use, and some new job abilities seem to cover everything they were supposed to well enough, so I can see why they were removed.

I support the removal of the Affiliation system, and the class/affiliation limits imposed on races like Elvaan and Moogles. While flavorful, they served no real purpose and limited creativity. If you can come up with a half-way reasonable explanation for a character, you should be allowed to use it.

All in all, it's very flexible and streamlined. The rules are simple to learn, the character creation process in quick and easy, and the fluff is presented in a way you can pick and choose what you want to use and build upon. Combat is simple, creating weapons and limit breaks is simple, and all without being restrictive or vague. This system really works for Final Fantasy, and could probably be adapted for anything if one was so inclined.

...I don't suppose anyone wants so start up a game with this system?
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations, Dust. I'm very glad that you finally finished this. I look forward to reading it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

This. Is. SOOO EPICLY EPIC!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

7. - Top - End - #7

Oh. I just noticed the Duane and BrandO reference at the end of the last monster entry. Excellent humor and taste, Dust.

EDIT: Looking over the Limit Break section, I have a question about the Transformation quality. Beyond flavor, what are the benefits? I notice the Bestiary section contains advice for creating new monsters and has suggested abilities for each type for the purpose of new monsters; does Transformation grant those abilities?

If so, are there any benefits to picking a type with no particular benefits or even types that only have a weakness for a selected ability?
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-10-31 at 12:34 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.

8. - Top - End - #8

I appreciate all the positive comments, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    ...Transformation quality. Beyond flavor, what are the benefits? I notice the Bestiary section contains advice for creating new monsters and has suggested abilities for each type for the purpose of new monsters; does Transformation grant those abilities?

If so, are there any benefits to picking a type with no particular benefits or even types that only have a weakness for a selected ability?
    There's virtually no readily-foreseeable benefits to becoming a different 'type' of species with a limit break other than canonical and fluff reasons. It was, however, requested pretty constantly.

However, when used to transform an enemy instead of a character, it can be used in builds where characters have bonuses against certain species. For example, imagine a Dragoon with the 'Ancient Circle' ability, which grants the entire party bonuses to dragon-type enemies, feeling frustrated that he hasn't been FIGHTING any dragons at his low level. The limit break quality of changing a monster's type - for only one point, no less - fixes that.
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-10-31 at 01:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

I appreciate all the positive comments, folks.

There's virtually no readily-foreseeable benefits to becoming a different 'type' of species with a limit break other than canonical and fluff reasons. It was, however, requested pretty constantly.

However, when used to transform an enemy instead of a character, it can be used in builds where characters have bonuses against certain species. For example, imagine a Dragoon with the 'Ancient Circle' ability, which grants the entire party bonuses to dragon-type enemies, feeling frustrated that he hasn't been FIGHTING any dragons at his low level. The limit break quality of changing a monster's type - for only one point, no less - fixes that.
    Ah, I hadn't considered the possibility of applying it to an enemy. That's pretty cool, actually.

Don't get me wrong, I love that it's an option. As a fluff ability, it's utterly fantastic. Just wanted to check if there was more to it then that (which there is, apply it to an enemy to use take advantage of 'Ancient Circle' and the like).

Edit: I've been hunting for any mistakes in the document so I could point them out, but so far I've only seen a pair of grammar/spelling errors. Both under the Black Mage job, the first is a missing word in the last line of the introduction to the class ("These traits often fade once the character [is] more experienced in his craft,") and a missing "l" in manafront (In addition, they have access to all Black Magic spells their Tier or lower, even if they did not choose to ‘learn’ these spells previously.)

The fact that I could find nothing more then these two minor errors speaks highly of the document's quality. Both were stumbled upon by mere chance and aren't noticeable unless you actively search for them.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-10-31 at 04:06 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dust, let me just say that I absolutely love you for finishing the system.

Let's see if this can convert some of my FF-Crazed friends, shall we?

Avatar courtesy of araveugnitsuga.

11. - Top - End - #11

On the page 119 there is a chart explaining benefits upon leveling up, in that chart I see "New Trait" at lv 10 and 20. I have runned a search in the book seaching for traits but unfortunatly nothing really clear came up. There is a mention of a trait helping in dealing with "Improbable Weapons and Unarmed Combat" on page 113 but yet again nothing really clear. Any explannation?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

i recently started looking at converting a system called anima a D100 system into a FF based system. but this... wow
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Absolutely wonderfully done! Very impressive indeed.

Reading through the pdf I have an urge to see it in action, so I will most likely start up a play-by-post game on this forum. I'll post the link here when the thread's up if anyone would be interested.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeve View Post

Reading through the pdf I have an urge to see it in action, so I will most likely start up a play-by-post game on this forum. I'll post the link here when the thread's up if anyone would be interested.
    I definitely would be.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    On the page 119 there is a chart explaining benefits upon leveling up, in that chart I see "New Trait" at lv 10 and 20. I have runned a search in the book seaching for traits but unfortunatly nothing really clear came up. There is a mention of a trait helping in dealing with "Improbable Weapons and Unarmed Combat" on page 113 but yet again nothing really clear. Any explannation?
    Traits were part of character creation in the previous (beta?) version of FFd6 that have been removed in the finished version. Basically, you would have picked 2 traits at character creation relating to the character's personality/back story, and could spend 1 point of destiny to gain a specific benefit depending on the trait.

For example, a character could get a trait that grants an extra d6 to a lore check for 1 point of destiny. They were removed, most likely since the Enhance a Roll destiny use covers most of what they did and what little it didn't was turned into job abilities or racial bonuses and the like. I liked them, but their removal makes the rules easier to comprehend and they've been replaced anyways so it's no real loss.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeve View Post

I would love to. I was one of the participants of a game using the earlier rule set that occurred at the beginning of the year, which sadly died out. If you do start one, I'll join in without question.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-10-31 at 03:53 PM.

Homebrewer's signature.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Great. I'll get a thread up then!

17. - Top - End - #17

Question:

With skills, is the roll 2d6 + attribute rating + skill rank, or is it 2d6 + skill rank, and attribute rating merely serves to show your maximum ranking in the skill?

It seems like it would be be former, but that's never really made clear.

Overall though, good work. I have a campaign idea for this that I might want to try once I finish this semester, and making me feel like putting in the effort to learn a new system is an impressive feat.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    UserShadow's explanation was completely correct; I'll make sure I edit those out of the book asap. I was certain I had removed all trace of the Traits. Argh. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    Question:

With skills, is the roll 2d6 + attribute rating + skill rank, or is it 2d6 + skill rank, and attribute rating merely serves to show your maximum ranking in the skill?
    The latter explanation is correct. Skill checks are simply 2d6 plus the appropriate skill. At times, as in the case of breaking things or two people sprinting towards an object, using attribute ratings is more appropriate, but this is rare.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

For those of you who wish to try the system, there is now a recruitment thread posted on these forums!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

My only complaint - as you of course know - is that the job summaries still aren't clear enough that people know what they're getting into. For example, Time Mage sounds and LOOKS cool, but they're basically glorified status-effect 'mezzers' to use an MMO term. This is made worse by the fact that 99% of their damaging spells deal nonelemental, and thus can't be increased in the usual ways. You can't even play a 'blaster' time mage if you really want to. Likewise, nowhere does it imply that Geomancers can become the burliest 'tanks' in the game with a little bit of effort.

It's frustrating to have to read EVERY job and EVERY ability to have a good idea of each job's capabilities.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh my!

Was wondering how this system was coming, and I am impressed! Sabetha would of loved to have Sagacity!

The summon system is a nice touch. I like how it works! Congrats on finishing it!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I find this to be rather impressive but looking over it I found a question :-P

So the Counterattack property under the equipment section doesn't have a limit on the number of times it may be used listed. The Counterattack job ability for the Monk talks about increasing the number of times you can use that property per game session. So what is the starting limit for counterattack?

23. - Top - End - #23

How long does the Status Effect limit break effect last?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyce View Post
    The Counterattack job ability for the Monk talks about increasing the number of times you can use that property per game session. So what is the starting limit for counterattack?
    One. I thought I had mentioned that; my error.

As for status effects, the standard is the same four rounds that all status effects last, shorter if you REALLY decide GM fiat is in order.

25. - Top - End - #25

One. I thought I had mentioned that; my error.

As for status effects, the standard is the same four rounds that all status effects last, shorter if you REALLY decide GM fiat is in order.
    Ah, okay. Under the sleep description, it said "whatever the ability says" or something like that, so I was wondering what would happen under those circumstances.

Good, good.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really, really like what you did with this system. I only really have two complaints.

The first is that starting MP seems really, really low. Even with maxed out intelligence, a white mage will only be able to cast a single cure before running out of MP at level 1. I suppose this is somewhat remedied by the fact that ethers are relatively cheap.

The second is that the strength stat is just about useless for a lot of jobs. It isn't tied to any skills, most jobs have a dex option for accuracy, and weapon damage for concealed and ranged weapons is based off of dexterity. Mages will probably even find that strength is not worth taking because the 50% spirit or int damage will be greater since they'll be putting more points in those attributes than strength.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    I really, really like what you did with this system. I only really have two complaints.

The first is that starting MP seems really, really low. Even with maxed out intelligence, a white mage will only be able to cast a single cure before running out of MP at level 1. I suppose this is somewhat remedied by the fact that ethers are relatively cheap.

I've noticed this too, seems very restrictive considering the statement that you were aiming for somewhere closer to Exalted than D&D.

- How come you changed the Summoning system?
    - Can you multiclass in this system?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-01 at 03:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

@Mecharious
    The issue comes from when all casting jobs did start with an additional +10 mp and this is no longer the case. After three playtests fiddling with mp costs, we honestly just couldn't get it right for the first 'rank' of spells - either paladins and dark knights didn't have the capacity to cast spells period, or mp wasn't an issue at first level and you could all but forget about it at 5th level (when you're still using rank 1 spells), or black mages could just use the same spell over and over for the full duration of the fight, every fight, which was boring.
    We finally settled on this, where there's no possible way casters can focus on spells every single round of combat until level 4-5, and even then you have to keep ethers on-hand until 10ish. I can't say I'm completely happy with it, but we really weren't able to find the magic numbers that worked for everyone. On one hand, it absolutely sucks; on the other, if you NEED to be casting multiple cure spells per session at level one to survive, your GM is doing something wrong.

As for strength, I offer nothing for you there. The system is highly multiple-ability-dependent as it is; we figured that the dump stat in this system, depending on your job, would probably end up being strength or int. Mostly for the sake of canon reason when we first conceptualized that part of the design, I think; if heroes were going to be worse than normal people somewhere, it was going to be either their brawn or their mental faculties.

@Kobold
    The summoning system was changed because summons they're too FF to not have the opportunity to make an appearance in most games, and it's canonical that even non-casters should be able to get access to them.
    I think it's great that they're essentially plot-driving, party-controlled weapons, or passive guardians of a single individual, and I was able to kick the power level up to where it should be now that they run on Destiny and not MP.

One of the jobs is called 'Freelancer,' and lets you switch between jobs as you like and pick up abilities from wherever you want. But because most of the basic Freelancer abilities are downright terrible and you never get access to an Epic Ability, picking this job guarantees you'll be starting out weak and won't start to shine until later on. But all the really crazy builds, like the 45 evasion ninja, all require you to start out as a freelancer.
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-11-01 at 03:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"As Doomtrain carries the departed to the other side, it has been signaled to stop for a moment to pick up a few more..."

Ooohoohooo.... ooohoohoohoooo.... OOOHOOOHOOHOOO... Bad-ass line.

Sad Kjata didn't make it Oh, but actually there's Tritoch. Nvm!

Overall, beautiful work. Even prettier for all the effort it took.

Edit: Ha! Got one. Doomtrain has "Unusual Defense (Takes 200% damage from all magical sources and half from all magical)". I mean, it certainly is unusual... And I don't get why the damage is based on Dexterity
    Last edited by Unrest; 2010-11-01 at 05:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

@Kobold
    The summoning system was changed because summons they're too FF to not have the opportunity to make an appearance in most games, and it's canonical that even non-casters should be able to get access to them.
    I think it's great that they're essentially plot-driving, party-controlled weapons, or passive guardians of a single individual, and I was able to kick the power level up to where it should be now that they run on Destiny and not MP.

One of the jobs is called 'Freelancer,' and lets you switch between jobs as you like and pick up abilities from wherever you want. But because most of the basic Freelancer abilities are downright terrible and you never get access to an Epic Ability, picking this job guarantees you'll be starting out weak and won't start to shine until later on. But all the really crazy builds, like the 45 evasion ninja, all require you to start out as a freelancer.
    Fair enough x2. I liked the idea of being a Summoner, but I can live with this method.

Also just saw Kefka's reaction to players. I lol'd