New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Unrest View Post
    Tell me, Dust, what program did you use to create the .pdf for this game?
    Acrobat 9 Pro Extended. I didn't experiment at all, though. It was just a simple conversion from a windows word doc.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maybe we should do some work for getting stats for heartless from KH.........I'm just saying because it will help one of the 2 games of this I run.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Acrobat 9 Pro Extended. I didn't experiment at all, though. It was just a simple conversion from a windows word doc.
    Cool, were just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Maybe we should do some work for getting stats for heartless from KH.........I'm just saying because it will help one of the 2 games of this I run.
    Why not simply do it yourself? It's your stuff, and I guess someone might be grateful if afterwards you post it in the homebrew thread. (On another note, it was discussed earlier that e.g. KH is "non-core" for the system, so I guess it's not 'bookable', but no one wants to stop your brewin!)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    If you're running a Kingdom Hearts game then you might want to take a look at the unfinished Keymaster job I did on the homebrew thread [/shamelessplug]

I might think about statting up some heartless too.
    Last edited by IcarusWings; 2011-04-18 at 07:26 AM.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    If you're running a Kingdom Hearts game then you might want to take a look at the unfinished Keymaster job I did on the homebrew thread [/shamelessplug]

No shameless plugging until it's done. Get to work ya lazy beggar[/slavedriver]

I would be interested in seeing some KH stuff so feel free to post in the homebrew thread.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Already using it. I threw together an epic but plan to replace when you finish the class.

And I was asking incase anyone wanted to try and help. I already am working on stating them up but I'm gonna wait till I've got a few done before posting them.

7. - Top - End - #367

I don't like Teamwork Attacks.

It should be this. Or this. Or, in a pinch, even like this.

Instead, I jotted it down as trading accuracy for evasion, and nullifying enemy special abilities. I want to expand on this and make it far more important, and I think I'm going to do so by...

A) Making enemy abilities far more important, varied, and dangerous. Add new ones and revise old ones to keep things streamlined and justify why Teamworks are essential to victory.
    B) Reworking short range combat a little bit to allow for 'swarm' fighting, introducing enemies that - like D&D swarms - are literally dozens or even hundreds of individual creatures (or people!) that can surround and close in on the PCs. Fighting as a team in such situations would provide special, unique bonuses.

I don't know this is enough, but it'll have to be a start.
    Last edited by Dust; 2011-01-04 at 07:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Dear Forum-Peeps,

Just wondering:
    I've been a little inactive lately, and I fear I may have missed the newest update to the manual. Has it updated in the last few weeks?
    Also, if it hasn't:
    Dust, would you please grace us with a sampling of added... things in the new version you refered to in the past? Or amendments that no one mentioned but you discovered in your own benevolent eye?
    This is more for the sake of my curiosity. If alot of things are being changed, feel free to say "Alot of sh*t, Creed. No shut the f*ck up."

Lots of <3,
    Creed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, Creed, you are clearly a master of wordplay.
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

10. - Top - End - #370

Planetar

I have a question, when making a Limit Break, how does Area Effect interact with Drain HP? Do you half of all damage you do to all enemies in Medium Range? Or do you just gain half of the damage done to one person? It seems like it would be the first one, but that's a lot of HP to gain from one attack.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's the first one, and yeah, it's going to be a lot of hp. I figure by the third level of limit breaks, you're going to get healed to full hp no matter what...

12. - Top - End - #372
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AshDesert View Post
    It seems like it would be the first one, but that's a lot of HP to gain from one attack.
    It also requires a critical hit when at 25% HP or lower, or three Destiny.

EDIT: I've thought about limit breaks a little. What do you think of an option to change one property in your old limit breaks every time you gain a new one (so, basically, you can change your fifth-level limit break twice and your fifteenth-level limit break once)?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2011-01-16 at 04:13 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hey, there's a guy looking for a game to playtest (for free obviously), his thread is here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post10187556

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

@Dust: Are Paladins supposed to get instant action spells, or is that a typo like all the other mage classes saying their magic takes a standard action on their Innate ability?

Because that seems crazy powerful.

Edit: Apparently White Mages say Instant too, which makes me doubt whether this was a mistake. However I still say it's OP.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-01-19 at 04:38 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

15. - Top - End - #375

Magic is all Slow actions regardless of Job. I have no idea why it's all over the place like that. From way back on page 10:
    Trauma needs to be a Passive and not an Instant ability, another copy-pasta error leading to game confusion there. It's kind of like how some of the magic 'innate' abilities are standard actions and some are passive; just bad proofreading on my part.
    I'm inclined to say that limit breaks aren't things that should be altered once created. In our first playtest game ever, one PC underwent a serious personality shift midway through the game. The character was an Undead blue mage who the party used to carry around in a ceramic jar when he got KO'd. His first limit break was a death-inducing attack with some pretty malicious flavor - when his character changed to full Hero Mode™ halfway through the game, we sat down and talked about the possibility of changing limit breaks because the first one no longer suited him. The consensus was that going back and changing the limit seemed....unfaithful to the character, in a way. Short of a LB no longer making SENSE for the character, we decided there's no reason Cloud should go back and turn his Omnislash into Omniheal simply because he crunched the numbers and realized the latter was better for min-maxing purposes.
    But, like so many things, it's up to the GMs and players to decide on. Just not an option I plan on mentioning in the rules.

Area Effect/Drain HP is a legit combination. And least, for now. Limit Breaks are next on the list of stuff to re-test and review.

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    STUFF
    Dearest Creed,

You haven't missed anything. I've been working on a module and mussing with potential website hosting - truth be told, they're both distractions so that I don't have to dive back into the corebook right away. I have a word document that's six pages long of things to change and fix and add, but it is documented something like the following:

- wind geotrance should grant flight for geomancers
    - gambler-specific legendary weapon; Fortune's Favor, arcane, grants bonuses based on the number of Bad Luck pnts gambler has accumulated?
    - paradigm shifting, FFXIII-specific shared ability. Commando/ACC, Sentinel/ARM/M.ARM, Ravager/Damage, Synergist/???, Medic/HPregen/MPregen, Saboteur/penalties to enemies vs status effects
    - FFVII-specific Graft, Mako Infusion
    - Entertainers are friggin' overpowered as str-monkies that self-buff thanks to Knack. MAKE SURE NOBODY NOTICES. DISTRACT THEM WITH SHINY OBJECTS AND TIME MAGIC. Also, genius and madness is dumb and far too taxing on GMs. Replace it with...
    - Pictomancy, creation of something out of nothing. Need a sword in a hurry? BAM, PAINTED. Feel like sketching a Pokémon to save the day? The world is your canvas, limited only by imagination.
    - Samurai draw-out shouldn't miss
    - Fighters need to be cooler, they're just way too situational right now, make them more well-rounded.
    - Accessory - Sightless Bandana - +1 ACC, Auto-Blind, 100g
    - Improved Arsenal needs to be fixed, right now monks can stack it with martial arts and be unstoppable
    - fix Gungnir
    - Find more ACC-reducing stuff to piss off ninjas =D =D
    - Spells need to have neater elemental features; flavor and function. electricity uncontrollable, wind faster to cast, etc etc
    - Fix Teamwork Attacks. How? Damned if I know, go watch three musketeers like 71 times.
    - yet another typo in the improbable weapons section, one too many S-es. LRN2PROOFREED NUB
    - provide a list of example Materia and their costs. The should also give a bonus to certain attributes and a detriment to others
    - eventually, you're going to have to suck it up and play the new MMO in order to do a section about that. QUITCHER STALLIN'.

As you can probably imagine, this ends up making a gal's head hurt pretty quick. Six pages of that, compounded with the discoveries found in this thread, reports of endless typos, and a few neat ideas I may end up stealing from the homebrew section.

Lots of <3,
    Dust

16. - Top - End - #376
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm inclined to say that limit breaks aren't things that should be altered once created. In our first playtest game ever, one PC underwent a serious personality shift midway through the game. The character was an Undead blue mage who the party used to carry around in a ceramic jar when he got KO'd. His first limit break was a death-inducing attack with some pretty malicious flavor - when his character changed to full Hero Mode™ halfway through the game, we sat down and talked about the possibility of changing limit breaks because the first one no longer suited him. The consensus was that going back and changing the limit seemed....unfaithful to the character, in a way. Short of a LB no longer making SENSE for the character, we decided there's no reason Cloud should go back and turn his Omnislash into Omniheal simply because he crunched the numbers and realized the latter was better for min-maxing purposes.
    But, like so many things, it's up to the GMs and players to decide on. Just not an option I plan on mentioning in the rules.
    I meant just one or two changes throughout the character's career--not enough to drastically alter the limit breaks, but enough to get rid of a little overlap if the player changes their mind or feels like their character fits better with this. Alternatively, there could be overlap on one of their limit breaks, making their older one(s) obsolete or far less useful. Generally, that'll be true regardless, but it might be nice to be able to have:

Area Effect [5], Physical Attack [3], Elemental (Shadow) [2]

...for your first limit break, then change it to have another effect other than Physical Attack because their 25th-level limit break has that effect too.

Of course, that's not how limit breaks work in the games, but limit breaks in general don't work like they do in the games (VII had increasing damage requirements for higher-level limit breaks, while X had different modes for gaining overdrive points), so a little change like a one-time alteration seems fairly minor.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyway, I have some suggestions.
    -Make a sword's piercing strike ability 1/encounter. Once per sessoin seems ridiculously weak.
    -Legendary accessory for time mages
    -Give characters like thieves and ninjas at least *some* reason to want more than 1 point in strength. I don't have any simple solutions for that, although I have played a game where ranged and concealed weapons were half based off strength, and half based of dexterity
    -I think there should be more black magic than white magic and time magic. Why? Because many black magic abilities are identical besides the damage type.
    -Specification whether synthesis can be used during character creation (even if that's up to the GM, I'd at least like to see the rules say that.)
    -Make more choices for early weapon properties. The best option, by far, seems to be stat bonuses. Personally, I don't think stat bonuses of the same type should stack, but most people seem to love stacking.
    -Guidelines for creating new jobs, maybe?
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2011-01-20 at 04:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing to see here, move on with your life. Section 31 does not exist.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-01-20 at 04:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am the lizard king!
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2011-01-20 at 07:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380

- paradigm shifting, FFXIII-specific shared ability. Commando/ACC, Sentinel/ARM/M.ARM, Ravager/Damage, Synergist/???, Medic/HPregen/MPregen, Saboteur/penalties to enemies vs status effects
    Me likey, I was right on the verge of Homebrewing something on Paradigms. Although I was gonna' do it as the innate ability of a L'cie job, rather than shared.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

21. - Top - End - #381

A L'cie job would be cool to see. Let me know if you end up with anything!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Dearest Creed,

You haven't missed anything. I've been working on a module and mussing with potential website hosting - truth be told, they're both distractions so that I don't have to dive back into the corebook right away. I have a word document that's six pages long of things to change and fix and add, but it is documented something like the following:

- wind geotrance should grant flight for geomancers
    - gambler-specific legendary weapon; Fortune's Favor, arcane, grants bonuses based on the number of Bad Luck pnts gambler has accumulated?
    - FFVII-specific Graft, Mako Infusion
    - Entertainers are friggin' overpowered as str-monkies that self-buff thanks to Knack. MAKE SURE NOBODY NOTICES. DISTRACT THEM WITH SHINY OBJECTS AND TIME MAGIC. Also, genius and madness is dumb and far too taxing on GMs. Replace it with...
    - Pictomancy, creation of something out of nothing. Need a sword in a hurry? BAM, PAINTED. Feel like sketching a Pokémon to save the day? The world is your canvas, limited only by imagination.
    - Samurai draw-out shouldn't miss
    - Fighters need to be cooler, they're just way too situational right now, make them more well-rounded.
    - Accessory - Sightless Bandana - +1 ACC, Auto-Blind, 100g
    - Improved Arsenal needs to be fixed, right now monks can stack it with martial arts and be unstoppable
    - fix Gungnir
    - Find more ACC-reducing stuff to piss off ninjas =D =D
    - Spells need to have neater elemental features; flavor and function. electricity uncontrollable, wind faster to cast, etc etc
    - Fix Teamwork Attacks. How? Damned if I know, go watch three musketeers like 71 times.
    - yet another typo in the improbable weapons section, one too many S-es. LRN2PROOFREED NUB
    - provide a list of example Materia and their costs. The should also give a bonus to certain attributes and a detriment to others
    - eventually, you're going to have to suck it up and play the new MMO in order to do a section about that. QUITCHER STALLIN'.

As you can probably imagine, this ends up making a gal's head hurt pretty quick. Six pages of that, compounded with the discoveries found in this thread, reports of endless typos, and a few neat ideas I may end up stealing from the homebrew section.

Lots of <3,
    Dust
    Alrighty then! Thanks for the response!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's a handfull of words for ya: FFXII Limit Break Concurrences...

However I'll note here that I'm in nowhere near as big of a hurry as anyone else might be (Especially the [expletive deleted] that made the comment about you being a noob that can't "proofreed")
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2011-01-23 at 03:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384

'nother suggestion for the update is Limit Break Components that allow you to mimic Vincent from VII's limits, cos' transformation doesn't do it at all. Plus I'd add in a Special Ability component to limit breaks, like the weapon ability. Lots of players will homebrew their own components anyway, but it never hurts to explicitly state that that is fine, and even encouraged, in the system.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plus I'd add in a Special Ability component to limit breaks, like the weapon ability. Lots of players will homebrew their own components anyway, but it never hurts to explicitly state that that is fine, and even encouraged, in the system.
    That's great!

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    (Especially the [expletive deleted] that made the comment about you being a noob that can't "proofreed")
    That would have been, um, me. I have the bad habit of making my jot notes very candid and it amuses me to go back and read them like that.
    Last edited by Dust; 2011-01-24 at 02:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

wind geotrance should grant flight for geomancers
    Do you mean adding a new terrain type (wind)? Wouldn't that overlap with some of the other terrain?
    gambler-specific legendary weapon; Fortune's Favor, arcane, grants bonuses based on the number of Bad Luck points gambler has accumulated?
    Somehow an arcane weapon doesn't seem to fit thematically with a gambler.
    paradigm shifting, FFXIII-specific shared ability. Commando/ACC, Sentinel/ARM/M.ARM, Ravager/Damage, Synergist/???, Medic/HPregen/MPregen, Saboteur/penalties to enemies vs status effects
    Synergist would probably grant a damage or defensive bonus to allies or something. Sounds like a complicated ability. Maybe you only get two roles, and can take the ability again for two more?
    Entertainers are friggin' overpowered as str-monkies that self-buff thanks to Knack. MAKE SURE NOBODY NOTICES. DISTRACT THEM WITH SHINY OBJECTS AND TIME MAGIC. Also, genius and madness is dumb and far too taxing on GMs. Replace it with...
    Aren't they even more powerful as dex-monkies with concealed weapons?
    Pictomancy, creation of something out of nothing. Need a sword in a hurry? BAM, PAINTED. Feel like sketching a Pokémon to save the day? The world is your canvas, limited only by imagination.
    And limited by the rules I hope. I'd hate to GM a game where the entertainer starts drawing legendary weapons at level one. Still, it's good to see this skill back.
    Samurai draw-out shouldn't miss
    It can miss? Uh, well, good thing it won't be able to now!
    Fighters need to be cooler, they're just way too situational right now, make them more well-rounded.
    Maybe some FFTA/FFTA2 warrior abilities.
    Accessory - Sightless Bandana - +1 ACC, Auto-Blind, 100g
    What is going through your devious mind right now?
    Improved Arsenal needs to be fixed, right now monks can stack it with martial arts and be unstoppable
    All abilities that increase damage by a step under certain conditions should not stack. Ever.
    Find more ACC-reducing stuff to piss off ninjas =D =D
    Pirate themed accuracy reducing equipment. Yar.
    Spells need to have neater elemental features; flavor and function. electricity uncontrollable, wind faster to cast, etc etc
    Good thinking. Right now black magic doesn't have much variety.
    Fix Teamwork Attacks. How? Damned if I know, go watch three musketeers like 71 times.
    I actually like where they're at right now. They *could* be more interesting, but I don't think that should be top priority.
    provide a list of example Materia and their costs. The should also give a bonus to certain attributes and a detriment to others
    Is the FF7 section going to be 3x as big as all the others?
    eventually, you're going to have to suck it up and play the new MMO in order to do a section about that. QUITCHER STALLIN'.
    Isn't that the only Final Fantasy games that the makers had to apologize for?

Well, we're here to help!

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post

Somehow an arcane weapon doesn't seem to fit thematically with a gambler.

ORLY?

Pair of dice that you roll and the spots shoot lasers?
    Endless pack of playing cards you throw Gambit style?
    - Playing cards that you draw and the suit symbol jumps off the cards and smashed them in the face?
    Comically large coin you flip and then supersizes and lands on the opponent?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those aren't ranged weapons?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    Those aren't ranged weapons?
    Perhaps the card throwing, but I don't see rolling some dice as a ranged weapon (despite what Elan thinks).