New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Yeah I for some reason always try and make weird characters if I don't plan to kill them off in a way thats meant to effect the other players......so I just thought of something. Does indestructable count for being immune to atmospheric reentry? If so I can just go to space and then ram my ship into a city.

Why did I come up with that?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

I assume indestructable means indestructable to anything...

...Except samurai.
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

speaking of which how do the Undead Mutation, Aura Magic, and Self Destruct interact? I had a character in a game I ran do 75% HP to group.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    speaking of which how do the Undead Mutation, Aura Magic, and Self Destruct interact? I had a character in a game I ran do 75% HP to group.
    It would still do your max hp to the enemies. Aura Magic just makes you take 25% of your max hp as damage first. Then selfdestruct kills you and does 100% of your max hp to them...and undead just means you come back the next day.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Halfling in the Playground

Srsfaicquestion: Steal HP.

Is this a permanent HP increase? If so, what stops a thief from opening up round 1 on a boss and instantly gaining hundreds (or, perhaps, thousands, later on) of permanent HP by spending 3 Destiny, as well as halving it's HP outright? (Outside of not having the necessary Destiny)
    Last edited by Naki; 2011-01-30 at 05:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    Srsfaicquestion: Steal HP.

Is this a permanent HP increase? If so, what stops a thief from opening up round 1 on a boss and instantly gaining hundreds (or, perhaps, thousands, later on) of permanent HP by spending 3 Destiny, as well as halving it's HP outright? (Outside of not having the necessary Destiny)
    Huh I though it just increased your hp like if you used drain or something. Not an actual max HP bonus.......onion freelancer+master thief+boss=my god.

Please god let it work the way you think it does.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Huh I though it just increased your hp like if you used drain or something. Not an actual max HP bonus.......onion freelancer+master thief+boss=my god.

Please god let it work the way you think it does.
    Freelancers can't do that, thankfully. I'm actually hoping it doesn work that way. It makes spamming Steal HP an entire boss fight the best way to rack up tons and tons of HP and trivialize the game entirely. One high-HP boss, and ohsweetjesus, your thief is now a tank.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

if I was running it I'd reduce the monster's max HP because of it requiring destiny but only heal the player for game balance issues, I consider that a nifty compromise. :)

9. - Top - End - #429
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eh my free lancer can still dish out the pain without insane hp. Hehe onion, soul eater, unequip onion, rape entire KH world(1 world-1 session), get destiny from boss, get bonus due to victory pose, rinse, repeat.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does indestructable count for being immune to atmospheric reentry? If so I can just go to space and then ram my ship into a city.
    Yes, but space-capable isn't really included in the 'Flight' property of a special vehicle. I'll have to add that, since it's canon in the series.
    There's actually a section in the book for GMs, discussing how to handle players who use combat tactics exactly like the 'I slam my airship into the behemoth/city.'
    Wiiman nailed this one already. Self-Destruct combined with Aura Magic is a perfectly legit tactic if you...y'know, like to fight that way. Better hope your enemies aren't Fire Resistant.
    Since you return to health after combat with 1hp, Undead doesn't really interact with it at all. The Undead job ability lets you return from actual character death.
    Srsfaicquestion: Steal HP. Is this a permanent HP increase?
    Oh god, no. I'll make sure I word the ability better in the next revision.
    Eh my free lancer can still dish out the pain without insane hp. Hehe onion, soul eater, unequip onion, rape entire KH world(1 world-1 session), get destiny from boss, get bonus due to victory pose, rinse, repeat.
    Legendary Weapons and Accessories such as the Onion are all game breakers, though I'll have to edit it to prevent the 'equip/use/unequip' silliness. That said, couldn't you do the same thing as a Dark Knight? Freelancer provides no actual bonus in that situation other than the +1 Destiny you'd gain for leveling-up.
    Being a Freelancer still seems to hinder you in every possible way - as it should.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Yes, but space-capable isn't really included in the 'Flight' property of a special vehicle. I'll have to add that, since it's canon in the series.
    There's actually a section in the book for GMs, discussing how to handle players who use combat tactics exactly like the 'I slam my airship into the behemoth/city.'
    Unorthodox Travel?

Wiiman nailed this one already. Self-Destruct combined with Aura Magic is a perfectly legit tactic if you...y'know, like to fight that way. Better hope your enemies aren't Fire Resistant.
    Since you return to health after combat with 1hp, Undead doesn't really interact with it at all. The Undead job ability lets you return from actual character death.
    Thankee

12. - Top - End - #432

Unorthodox Travel?
    I think I still feel like being more specific about it.

13. - Top - End - #433

Oh god, no. I'll make sure I word the ability better in the next revision.
    Thank god. Everyone in our IRC room read it and flipped out. o_O;;

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Its a ship to go from world to world in a KH based game so space travel is a given for it. Besides its just incase something EOTW appears and we would NEED a kill sat for it.

Also the DM gave me an onion at the start so uh yeah bad planning on her part, I only asked for one as a joke, and its been used once.

Is blue magic slow or standard?
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2011-01-30 at 08:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435

All magic is Slow actions. It's been mentioned a few times in this thread and desperately needs to be retyped asap.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

.......punching something in the groin is slow.....oh well the DM read the manual and when asked(and she does know the all magic is slow thing) said some blue is standard. Bit of a house rule really. Handled like below.

Maybe a bit of a case by case basis? Something like Goblin Punch is standard, seed cannon would be slow, Pollen would be slow, like physical ones like goblin punch or self destruct would be standard(due to not having you make stuff appear) while something like Chocoball or seed cannon needs you to use your magic to create something first would be slow.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Utterly fantastic. Thanks so much for this, Dust, and all others who contributed. I'm so happy to find material of this caliber. And it's free.

18. - Top - End - #438

Hey, always a pleasure.

19. - Top - End - #439

Preemptive question answering; You gain a new ability every 4 levels, not 5 as one of the typos incorrectly states.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wasn't going to ask, actually. I thought someone already pointed that out in here.

21. - Top - End - #441

Round.... something of questions.

My group is now getting into the thick of actually creating characters, and a few things came up:

Arcane Weapons: I'm not sure what the trade off here is? The half damage? When they crit, they do full damage, and at level one, it hits INTx4, with no MP expenditure. I don't think any non-caster can match this. Sure, it's only on crits, but still.

On that, Thieves and Concealed weapons. A dex-for-damage weapon on a Dex-based class, where Knack makes them ignore Strength altogether? Where can that go wrong.[/sarcasm] I actually think it's less Concealed Weapon's fault, and that there's no actual incentive to use Blades, Reach, or Huge for most classes. (Dragoon and Samurai are the exception!)

Sneak Attack itself is pretty powerful, but then I realized, it's actually a good method of making the other weapons more viable. Blades and Reach each do +1 damage step, while Huge do +2. Arcane Weapons fall back into line (Just beating out Huge on crits, and more as a Black Mage with Into the Fray), Concealed is no longer the king of weapons, Ranged and Brawl suffered no problems to start with and are fine where they are.

EDIT: There was actually supposed to be a question at the end: would my proposed fix unbalance numbers, or would it work just fine?

EDIT2: Dragoon questions! Threaten+Impale. Does the first attack deal 0 damage, then Impale kicks in, for an extra hit? Or does using Threaten forgo Impale's effect?
    Likewise, Lancet+Impale? Can Lancet crit? If Lancet crits, does it then Impale, and heal for 150% Or 200% if Impale also crits?
    Last edited by Naki; 2011-02-02 at 09:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442

Arcane Weapons: I'm not sure what the trade off here is? The half damage? When they crit, they do full damage, and at level one, it hits INTx4, with no MP expenditure. I don't think any non-caster can match this. Sure, it's only on crits, but still.
    Casters who sit there and attack with Arcane weapons every round instead of casting spells, despite the critical hit chance for big numbers, do less overall damage than your average melee fellow.
    A critical hit, which happens much less than a natural 20 on a d20 roll, is essentially the character managing a 'normal' power hit and a spell in the same round. It does, however, give casters something they can do when they're looking to conserve MP without feeling like they're swinging a stick around worthlessly.
    It also puts hybrid-style characters, such as Black Mages with 'Into the Fray' as you mention later, on par with other melee heroes. Which they should be. We've done lots of testing on Arcane weapons, and I'm honestly pretty happy with how it works currently.
    On that, Thieves and Concealed weapons. A dex-for-damage weapon on a Dex-based class, where Knack makes them ignore Strength altogether? Where can that go wrong.[/sarcasm]
    Yeah. This is a big one currently, and it's been raised quite a lot. I don't know for certain how I'm going to tackle this yet and I'm open to suggestions.
    Blades and Reach each do +1 damage step, while Huge do +2.
    I like how each category of weapon provides something different and unique right now, and I don't see something like Huge Weapons simply dealing more damage than the others as a way to solve any of the problems. To get down to the core of the issue, it's that certain Jobs can just stack a single attribute as high as it'll go and be rock-solid. That's the main thing that needs fixing I think, not the weapon categories.
    Dragoon questions! Threaten+Impale. Does the first attack deal 0 damage, then Impale kicks in, for an extra hit? Or does using Threaten forgo Impale's effect?
    Yes, having those two job abilities means that you land a critical hit and may attack a second time. On either one of those hits, you can choose to forgo dealing any damage/etc and cause an MMORPG-style 'taunt' effect.

Hm. I need to clean up Threaten's description and fix the typos. Things like 'causing any effects' is enormously vague.
    Lancet+Impale? Can Lancet crit? If Lancet crits, does it then Impale, and heal for 150% Or 200% if Impale also crits?
    Lancet can crit, as can just about any ability that says 'make a normal attack action, PLUS....' This would cause the character to deal more damage than usual, but Lancet still only heals 100% of the damage done.
    Follow-Through would then allow the character to make another attack action. This second attack could not be a Lancet, which is still technically a job ability.
    You bring up a good point here unintentionally. Obviously, how abilities that mimic attacks actually WORK needs to be reworded and clarified in broad strokes instead of just rewording things here and there.

23. - Top - End - #443

Casters who sit there and attack with Arcane weapons every round instead of casting spells, despite the critical hit chance for big numbers, do less overall damage than your average melee fellow.
    A critical hit, which happens much less than a natural 20 on a d20 roll, is essentially the character managing a 'normal' power hit and a spell in the same round. It does, however, give casters something they can do when they're looking to conserve MP without feeling like they're swinging a stick around worthlessly.
    It also puts hybrid-style characters, such as Black Mages with 'Into the Fray' as you mention later, on par with other melee heroes. Which they should be. We've done lots of testing on Arcane weapons, and I'm honestly pretty happy with how it works currently.
    I don't see how this puts them 'on par' with melee heroes. It actually puts them ahead in most cases. The ability to melee adequately, cast more powerful spells, and cast them at no cost on a crit is overkill. Melee needs some serious benefits to match this. Wild Swing is the closest Melee gets, and it's heavily situational and will deal significantly less damage. A mage who hits 0 MP has two choices: regain MP somehow (primary choice), or, failing that, arcane melee! Given the small MP pools at early levels, Into the Fray looks incredibly tempting for a Black Mage just starting out.

Yeah. This is a big one currently, and it's been raised quite a lot. I don't know for certain how I'm going to tackle this yet and I'm open to suggestions.
    Making their accuracy Not-Dex is a probably a good start. Concealed shouldn't have two effects, either. That's why it's strictly better, and I proposed giving second effects to Blades, Reach and Huge. As it is, Blades are the weakest (with Peircing 1/session) of every weapon choice. Concealed pulls way into the lead by having it deal Dex damage, AND deal an extra +1 damage step, along with being able to reroll if you miss. Concealed doing one, or the other, puts it on par with other weapons. Else, you need to buff other weapons to match.

I like how each category of weapon provides something different and unique right now, and I don't see something like Huge Weapons simply dealing more damage than the others as a way to solve any of the problems. To get down to the core of the issue, it's that certain Jobs can just stack a single attribute as high as it'll go and be rock-solid. That's the main thing that needs fixing I think, not the weapon categories.
    And I didn't suggest to change that. My intent was to ask if my method would cause the numbers to explode violently. It was intended more as a personal fix, than a suggestion. I apologize if it came off as otherwise. Blades and Huge need actual incentive for the classes that can use them. Dragoons only have them as a legacy hold-over from Kain, and there's literally no reason for a Dragoon to ever use anything other than a Reach weapon, none of their abilities promote using other options. Changing this for other classes is probably a good place to start.

And thank you on the Dragoon clarifications.

Also, I just picked on the Dragoon because it was the easiest to poke holes in. :P

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dex-based characters are especially powerful because they can use dex to affect all their combat attributes. At home, I decided to make concealed and ranged weapons do 1/2 damage based on STR and 1/2 based on DEX. It's worked okay, but I anticipate it to cause severe damage issues late game. I tried balancing this by adding a rule preventing stat-stacking (a hard limit to stats could also work), so that only boosting one stat wouldn't be viable.

I think Into the Fray is balanced because it costs an ability to allow black mages to do what melee types can normally do without spending an ability. Keep in mind that it doesn't give Black Mages any more HP to survive melee counter-attacks, or any evasion to avoid getting hit. And even then, Black mages don't have any other abilities that improve their fighting, while a fighter or ranger ONLY has abilities that improve how they fight with weapons. Therefore, I don't really think it's imbalanced for black mages to deal good damage with a weapon if it puts them in danger and costs them an ability for something that won't really improve later.

Edit: Also, I think the Deep Breathing ability for Dragoons needs to be changed. A static modifier makes the ability absolute garbage late game, and ridiculously good early game. Maybe if its damage multiplier was 1 higher than your currently equiped weapon or something.
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2011-02-03 at 01:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've only read a few pages of this thread, but is there another thread or site that's for FFD6? Trying to plan out an adventure for my friends and I and just looking for material or ideas. A little difficult getting into the FFd6 mindset.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    I've only read a few pages of this thread, but is there another thread or site that's for FFD6? Trying to plan out an adventure for my friends and I and just looking for material or ideas. A little difficult getting into the FFd6 mindset.
    There's some homebrew here, and there are various games running, but as far as I know all discussion is contained within the PDF & this thread.

What are you looking for?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was looking more for adventure ideas, or outlines, or some sort of GM-friendly material. I've played DND numerous times, but have never been a DM. I've read the pdf a couple times now and I have an idea on what I'm going to do, but one thing I was curious about were destiny points.

For example, it seems that acquiring destiny points is very limited and would be difficult to accrue on a consistent basis. I understand that's the point, but I don't know how I'm supposed to put my players in a situation that's so epic that it would reward a destiny point or two. I want them to be able to use their epic abilities fairly often (following the once per game session rule). With epic abilities costing 3 destiny points, and destiny points coming so scarcely, when could they ever use them for their epic abilities or anything else (such as cheating death or modifying roles)? Nevermind, I found this answered on page 3.
    Last edited by Tokugawa; 2011-02-05 at 06:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hm a geomancer can base so much off one stat. With 2 abilities his eva, geo trance uses, acc, and HP are all based off the same stat. At level 4 you could make it so they get armor and magic armor bonus from your HP also.

Are they meant to have Vit as the one stat to rule all?

Spoiler
    Show
    NAME:Shino of the green forest.
    RACE AND JOB: Elvaan Geomancer
    LEVEL:2

HP:42
    To calculate HP, add your VIT score with the HP/Level granted by your Job, and multiply the total by your character level. Then, add 10.

MP:0
    To calculate MP, add your INT score with the MP/Level granted by your Job, and multiply the total by your character level.
    Note that any Job without an MP Modifier has zero MP, regardless of INT.

ARM:
    M.ARM:
    EVA:10
    Base ACC:5+1 racial bonus. 6

STR:7
    DEX:2
    VIT:10
    INT:7
    SPR:5
    You get 30 points to spread between those 5 stats. Place between () you rating for the stat. You get 1 point in rating for every 3 points in the stats. You need at least 1 in each stat.

Weapon Name Halberd
    Attack Type Reach
    Accuracy 2d6+6
    Damage 2d6+7
    Special Properties 11-12 are crits.
    Tier 1
    This is determined by your weapon. I will help with this when you choose your weapon ok.

ABILITIES
    Force of Nature
    Geotrance
    Knack-Survival Vit.
    Primal Might-Vit

ARMOR AND ACCESSORY
    Leather Outfit

INVENTORY(10 Items Max)
    5 potions

SKILLS
    Acting (SPR)2
    Escape (DEX)1
    Inquiry (INT / SPR)1
    Negotiation (SPR)2
    Perform (SPR)2
    Riding (DEX / SPR)2
    Survival (INT/VIT)4
    Swimming (STR / DEX)2

TASK DIFFICULTY
    Elementary: 5
    Easy: 7
    Moderate: 9
    Challenging: 11
    Impressive: 13
    Heroic: 15
    Godlike: 20
    Impossible: 30
    Just a point of reference for later.

EXPERIENCE AND WEALTH
    EXP 0/5
    Destiny
    Gil Start with 500

BIO
    Weight: 130 Pounds
    Birthdate:??????
    Height: 6' 1"
    Hometown:?????
    Features:Known to be in a blue parka. Red eyes.

GOALS
    #1: Protect Nature
    #2: Destroy those who destroy nature.
    #3: Build a eco friendly air ship.
    Life Goal:Create Utopian Country that protects nature. At all costs.
    Just everyday goals and 1 goal that is very hard to achieve.

LIMIT BREAKS
    Name Level Description
    PM me at level 5 for help.

29. - Top - End - #449

I think one of the big changes in the next update is going to be changing the Strength attribute to Power, which represents not only might but also a summary of the character's physical offensive abilities. In this way, all weapons will run off of PWR, and concealed/ranged will get additional tweaks based on the user's DEX. It's also been canon in the FF-verse that sometimes the strongest characters are the ones that look the most physically weak.
    I'm still pondering this though; it would be a big change.

Into the Fray
    As much as I hate backing down after arguing a case to the contrary, I have to say that you were, in fact, correct. I spent about an hour crunching numbers; even without the free damage on a critical hit, this puts a Black Mage on par with a good melee fighter with one ability. This is getting adjusted with Mind Over Matter next revision, and I appreciate you pointing it out to me.
    MY BAD.
    Making their accuracy Not-Dex is a probably a good start.
    Probably.
    Blades and Huge need actual incentive for the classes that can use them.
    Blades are getting a boost. I feel Huge weapons are non-intuitive right now since their main purpose is actually LESS damage in exchange for utility, which is the opposite of what one would expect. I still want to see the Knockback property on a weapon for balance reasons, and it makes sense to be on the Huge type - I just need to figure out precisely how to work this.
    .....there's literally no reason for a Dragoon to ever use anything other than a Reach weapon, none of their abilities promote using other options.
    Totally true.

Note to self on an unrelated note; The Entertainer's Copycat/Master Mimic abilities can't copy destiny-spending moves. No idea how I didn't consider that.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Alright, I didn't see this in the thread or in the pdf:

If a monster casts any black or white spells in combat (such as sleep or cure) with the Blue Mage being an active partcipant, does the Blue Mage learn them (assuming he has observation)?

Also, Blue Mages get to choose two spells of their choice, is this restricted only to the Blue Mage spell list? Or is it from any list? Or does it exclude the Blue spell list?
    Last edited by Tokugawa; 2011-02-07 at 04:48 PM.