New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Unrest View Post
    Doomtrain has "Unusual Defense (Takes 200% damage from all magical sources and half from all magical)". I mean, it certainly is unusual... And I don't get why the damage is based on Dexterity
    The inherent should be Controlled Defense. Good grab.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Fair enough x2. I liked the idea of being a Summoner, but I can live with this method.

Also just saw Kefka's reaction to players. I lol'd
    Parts like these make it so much fun to read the pdf. I'm not sure if it's still there in this version, but I love the explanation for skill difficulty noting 'Impossible' (30 or better required) as similar in difficulty to "Trying to collapse a 60-story office building by 'putting your back into it'."
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    Parts like these make it so much fun to read the pdf. I'm not sure if it's still there in this version, but I love the explanation for skill difficulty noting 'Impossible' (30 or better required) as similar in difficulty to "Trying to collapse a 60-story office building by 'putting your back into it'."
    It's still in the pdf. Awesome line.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

...You know, I can't help it: I'm going to criticise your writing style.

Saying "Many other RPGs do x" sounds too much like you're comparing yourself to other RPGs. You really don't need to do that. It makes you sound like you're trying too hard to stand out.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #35

Point noted.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

There are also a couple of errors - the one that stands out to me is the fact that in the MP Stroll ability description, it says that the White Mage gains 25% of her MP back at the end of every combat encounter - but the description of a staff later in the book (I want to say Nirvana) says it increases the amount of MP regenerated per hour to 50%.

Other than that, I honestly think the system is pretty solid.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #37

Book's been updated with the various changes already discussed in this thread, at the risk of causing confusion. This'll be the last incarnation of it for quite some time.

Again, thanks for everyone's interest and feedback. Finally I can sleep easy knowing this gigantic project is at last finished.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

For the 5 point version of Specialized Target can humanoid be the Target Type?

9. - Top - End - #39

No. Humanoid was excluded from the available target types, as you can see, to prevent people from making limit breaks that exclusively buff/heal themselves or allies with an additional 5 points available to them.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ah, I was thinking more of an attack that could only target humanoids.

Edit: Break Arts cost 4 points in the Bold, but there isa listed cost of 5 in the description, unless that would grant the ability to choose what type of Break each time.
    Last edited by TheBoyce; 2010-11-02 at 07:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeve View Post
    It's still in the pdf. Awesome line.
    Sweet. Just found another good one. There's an 8-bit theater reference under the Red Mage's Natural Aptitude ability.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyce View Post
    Ah, I was thinking more of an attack that could only target humanoids.

Edit: Break Arts cost 4 points in the Bold, but there isa listed cost of 5 in the description, unless that would grant the ability to choose what type of Break each time.
    5 points lets you choose any Break Arts you want to use when you activate the Limit Break. 4 points has you pick one at the creation of the Limit Break and use that each time.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-02 at 07:51 PM.

Homebrewer's signature.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Does the Attack (Magic) Limit Break base it's damage off the weapon you're wielding, or do you pick a spell to base it off? Or is it just (Int or Spr x1) as the base damage?

Or something else entirely?

Also: Random Target says in the bolded part it's a 3 point refund if it's completely random, but says it's a 5 point refund in the text. Which is right?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-03 at 02:53 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey Mr. Designer Man! Don't you wanna have a go at your own creation in the PbP? It might look as though we might need another GM...

14. - Top - End - #44

Does the Attack (Magic) Limit Break base it's damage off the weapon you're wielding, or do you pick a spell to base it off? Or is it just (Int or Spr x1) as the base damage?
    I really dropped the ball on the limit break chapter, eh?

Attack (Magic) runs off your current weapon tier, kicks it up a few notches of damage, and lets you calculate it using INT or SPR without the pesky 'half effect' thing that Arcane Weapons cause.
    Also: Random Target says in the bolded part it's a 3 point refund if it's completely random, but says it's a 5 point refund in the text. Which is right?
    It is a three point refund. There might be a few instances where the bolded number is different than one found in the text; the larger, bolded titular number is always correct. Last-minute changes I didn't proofread as well as I should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unrest View Post
    Hey Mr. Designer Man! Don't you wanna have a go at your own creation in the PbP? It might look as though we might need another GM...
    While I'm flattered the interest is so large, one of the best parts about being DONE a two-year project is that I can take a week or two without thinking about it.
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-11-03 at 10:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I really dropped the ball on the limit break chapter, eh?

Attack (Magic) runs off your current weapon tier, kicks it up a few notches of damage, and lets you calculate it using INT or SPR without the pesky 'half effect' thing that Arcane Weapons cause.
    Cool, thanks.

It is a three point refund. There might be a few instances where the bolded number is different than one found in the text; the larger, bolded titular number is always correct. Last-minute changes I didn't proofread as well as I should have.[/QUOTE]

Noted.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like it but I noticed that in animal companion it says that ones with a certain ability can assist in a teamwork attack, but doesn't give damage statistics. I would have used the dragoon's old wyvern stats but they were taken out is there any chance of seeing those retrofitted back into the Animal Companion section?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The White Magic Job Ability (Paladin and White Mage) has a target of Self as opposed to Varies like the other Mages. Intentional?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brontes View Post
    The White Magic Job Ability (Paladin and White Mage) has a target of Self as opposed to Varies like the other Mages. Intentional?
    Probably not, that would seriously hinder their use as healers.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I didn't edit this in fast enough, so here's another thing I notice.

All of the X Magic Job Abilities are Standard Actions, but some Magic is mentioned as being performed as a Slow action (Fire Spell is listed as an example of a Slow Action you could perform). I can't seem to find rules/conditions for doing that.

Can you interrupt Standard Actions?

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    I like it but I noticed that in animal companion it says that ones with a certain ability can assist in a teamwork attack, but doesn't give damage statistics. I would have used the dragoon's old wyvern stats but they were taken out is there any chance of seeing those retrofitted back into the Animal Companion section?
    There is no chance whatsoever. The LAST place you'll find damage is in an Animal Companion for your character, and the 'Wyvern companion' innate ability was phased out in order to turn the Dragoon into more of a constantly-critting battlefield controller. It's a fairly large thematic shift for the Job; while you could certainly still build a dragon companion, the bucketloads of damage that used to go hand in hand with their innate ability no longer exists.
    No. o.0
    Can you interrupt Standard Actions?
    Short Answer: Generally, no.
    Long Answer: Some abilities are listed as being able to be used at 'any time, even when it is not your turn' - you can use such abilities to jump in on an enemy's turn, and I guess if you KO'd a monster before he got to attack you, that would certainly count as an interruption of sorts.
    But for the purposes of cancelling spells, only Slow actions can be 'shut down' by a Knockback effect or whatever. This is why the Haste status is so bizarre; one one hand, it gives purely melee jobs twice as many actions, and it gives casters....well, it turns Slow actions into Standard actions. At first glance it seems unfair, until you realize that the ability to interrupt Slow actions is one of the GM's last defenses against the most powerful abilities heroes can bring to the table.
    I'm not sure I actually answered your question there. I hope so.
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-11-03 at 04:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, would you mind if I came up with some limit break abilities/drawbacks? I have at least one idea right now...feel free to critique and such.

Steal (2 Points) - Maybe 3?
    The limit break allows the user to steal from the target without making a Thievery check or a Steal check (in the case of a Thief). This ability cannot be combined with Backfire.

For Backfire, you could add a part where healing and such can be combined with it, but it has a 25% chance to affect a random enemy.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-03 at 05:24 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is only an observation: Entertainer MP is only really useful for one Art and the Copycat ability (Also, assuming assuming (Int + Class MP) > 10, you can use it for Materia if you play FF7 setting).

About Standard/Slow Actions:

My problem is that all Magic Job Abilities are listed as being Standard Actions and as such, can't be interrupted. At the moment, I don't know of any individual spells that are Slow casting or any Job Abilities that make them Slow in return for some bonus or other mitigating circumstances (I'm kind of reading the PDF in a scatterbrained fashion, sorry).

Also, the Slow Action heading in the Combat section mentions being able to cast Fire as a Slow Action.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't all spells Slow actions, by default?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I know they are Slow Actions based on the number of instances mentioning that they can be interrupted. I haven't found anything explicitly labeling them as Slow Actions.

Again, kind of scatterbrained right now. If you know where (outside of the Fire example in Slow Actions) it says that I'd appreciate it.

25. - Top - End - #55

You're right. Not explicitly stating magic is a Slow action by default is...a pretty big oversight on my part. Argh. In fact, looking at it now, a lot of the 'magic' innate abilities have wonky listings, like the paladin as 'Instant, Self' - I don't know what's up with that.

This is only an observation: Entertainer MP is only really useful for one Art and the Copycat ability.
    Correct, and deliberate.
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-11-03 at 05:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

One thing about the entertainer I noticed- the Weapon of Choice ability increases the job bonus to HP from +4*level to +8*level. This means the job provides 1 more HP per level then the Fighter job, and 2 more then the Dark Knight and Paladin jobs.

Since entertainers generally are too focused on SPR (with DEX and INT as secondaries), they probably won't be able to pump up VIT enough to outdo a Fighter and remain useful ability-wise, but I was wondering if the possibility of them having more HP then the dedicated Melee classes was intentional.

It DOES make sense, that someone that physically active (assuming dancing or the like is their focus) would be extremely fit, so I don't find it a problem. In fact, I find it a rather nice touch/option. I have an idea what my next character in this system will be...
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-03 at 05:42 PM.

Homebrewer's signature.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Break effects in Limit Break are listed as 4 points but the description says 5.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

The Break effects in Limit Break are listed as 4 points but the description says 5.
    For 4 points you pick it when you make the Limit Break. For 5 you get to pick which one each time you use it I think.

Either that or it's a mistake that I've misread, which makes it a 4 pointer.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-03 at 05:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just thought this:

One of the listed potential items under Arcane weapons is the Magic Cannon. Would you be allowed to give it the Ranged Weapon's Distance Property (I think that's right) as a Special Ability Property?

30. - Top - End - #60

I have a question about monster creation. It's pretty thorough, but it's missing the bit describing how to calculate ARM/M.ARM. The pattern I saw was roughly Level * 4, divvied up between the two as the maker chooses.

Also, for weapon creation, is it possible to use a different synthesis skill if it fits better (like this entertainer I'm thinking up, who hides smog machines/flash bangs in her bracelets/anklets for both fighting and performing, which seems more fitting for tinkering then the norm)? Maybe at a penalty?

Edit: Sorry to keep bothering you, but the book states that all classes can use Light Armor. Despite that, several classes don't list Light Armor as an available choice, while others do. Is this an error?
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-04 at 05:40 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.