New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post

I am very glad to hear this.
    Everyone has the job change ability and you can also get the onion knight ability and change ever more.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

I'm deeply interested in the development of this game. So much so, that I registered for these forums in order to stay connected. :)

3. - Top - End - #573
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    The next version will actually see the Freelancer job vanish entirely, and being able to mix/max job abilities built right into the system. I'm sure there's still some nasty combos out there, but it wasn't as bad as it once was.
    SO Excited!!!

4. - Top - End - #574
    Pixie in the Playground

I registered here just so I could tell you how awesome this project is. I'm a big fan and can't wait to see the next version!

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, thanks! That means a lot to me.

6. - Top - End - #576

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurFrayn View Post
    I registered here just so I could tell you how awesome this project is. I'm a big fan and can't wait to see the next version!
    Me too!

I love this system, it's amazing!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Pixie in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

@Ragingsystem & ArthurFrayn: I wonder if you folks are from rpg.net like me? I saw a link to here through this thread.

Anyways, I'm excited for the new version. No pressure though! ;)

8. - Top - End - #578

Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    @Ragingsystem & ArthurFrayn: I wonder if you folks are from rpg.net like me? I saw a link to here through this thread.

Anyways, I'm excited for the new version. No pressure though! ;)
    Nope OOTS brought me here, though I do browse rpg.net from time to time, especially when I was thinking about buying the CoC 30th anniversary edition. Which I did.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes! That's the very thread that brought me here!

Really, this game needs to get more airtime over there. It's too fine a gem to be hidden in the sands of the interwebs, and I wish I'd known about it sooner.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Got into a weird rp. Me using a Banga Fighter with the art of war variant(See home brew thread), another being a hume fighter, and another warrior type. He said ether Paladin or Dark Knight so yeah.
    Gonna be kinda interesting to see how it balances between the 2 fighters and another warrior type class.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Pixie in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

FFd6 can't utilize Print On Demand because of trademarks, right? This is really the only part that gets me, I want a physical copy of the new edition whenever it comes out but I guess this means I'll have to print it myself. x_x

Really, this game needs to get more airtime over there. It's too fine a gem to be hidden in the sands of the interwebs, and I wish I'd known about it sooner.
    Agreed.

12. - Top - End - #582

FFd6 can't utilize Print On Demand because of trademarks, right? This is really the only part that gets me, I want a physical copy of the new edition whenever it comes out but I guess this means I'll have to print it myself. x_x
    First, you should ask Dust's permission. If you have that permission, then second, you can not sell your copy to anyone. Third, you should probably destroy the copy, or recycle it, when you are finished with it.

Following those three rules you should stay in comfortable legal and social ground.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Pixie in the Playground

The new version is nearly done, just giving it a several month play-through and working on some of the graphics now as well as updating the bestiary to follow all the new rules.
    I can't seem to make up my mind about something...

Since a new version is on the way (which seems very different from the old version at this point) I am wondering if I should go ahead and run a FF game with the system I've got now or wait.

The problem is, I don't want to be running a game, then have the new rules come out only to decide I want to convert everything mid-campaign. I've tried switching rules mid-campaign before. It wasn't pretty.

I know this is an annoying question, and one that probably has no answer anyway, but here it goes:

When you say the new version is 'nearly done' do you mean within weeks or within months? Either way is fine with me, and I certainly don't want you to rush anything.

I'm just trying to determine if I have time to start and finish a full campaign before the next version appears.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Consider running a campaign and then take note of the differences when the new version is out. Then just ask if they want to switch. If they don't just continue with the old rules.

They word well enough.
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2011-10-09 at 09:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Consider running a campaign and then take note of the differences when the new version is out. Then just ask if they want to switch. If they don't just continue with the old rules.
    Yeah, and that may not be a bad idea in any case. Still, I'm hoping I get some kind of answer from Dust before committing to anything.

In the meantime, I've still got a lot more setting to work out anyway, so there's no big hurry. I'm thinking of doing a crazy amalgamated remix of FFV and FFVII. How? Sorta like this:

-There are four ancient legendary elemental crystals (earth, air, fire, water.)

-As of now, three of them belong to three ruthless power-mad corporations, who are abusing them for profit. (So think Shinra from FFVII, but three times over.) Each corporation would *love* to destroy the other two and seize all three crystals.

-The fourth ancient (wind) crystal is still missing. There is an ongoing cutthroat three-way world spanning race to find it. (Which is where I imagine the PC's coming into the game, and getting to make some important choices down the road as new information comes to light along the way.)

-As anyone who has played a FF game before probably can guess, the crystals are weakening and are on the verge of shattering.

-As anyone who has played a FF game before can also probably guess, the real purpose of the ancient crystals was to seal away an ancient evil from another dimension.

-What ancient evil is that? Are you sure you really want to know?

"ExDeathSephiroth" of course!

Like I said, it's a crazy FF V / VII remix I'm working on. It's meant to be a nostalgic romp with many surprise familiar faces from the early days of Final Fantasy.

If anyone has any crazy ideas that would fit in with this concept, by all means throw them out there.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; 2011-10-09 at 01:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Is the FFD6 text under any particular license? I didn't see anything mentioned about the text... only the trademarks involved Squeenix stuff and artistic renderings.

If it isn't... I suggest the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 3.0 license as seen here.

If there has been discussion regarding this already and I missed it, sorry for bringing it up!

17. - Top - End - #587

When you say the new version is 'nearly done' do you mean within weeks or within months? Either way is fine with me, and I certainly don't want you to rush anything.
    Probably the latter. Playtesting has brought up more than a small handful of things that need fixing, and work has kept me preoccupied.

18. - Top - End - #588

Is the FFD6 text under any particular license? I didn't see anything mentioned about the text... only the trademarks involved Squeenix stuff and artistic renderings.

If it isn't... I suggest the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 3.0 license as seen here.

If there has been discussion regarding this already and I missed it, sorry for bringing it up!

...please...please refrain from submitting unnecessary litigatory concepts to Dust's personal, well-intended, fanatical project. There is no need for a license. Anyone with eyes and intelligence can tell that Dust has not attempted to portray herself as an employee of Square Enix. Beyond a formal disclaimer of ownership the Final Fantasy D6 manual needs nothing to ensure its permitted legality. More than that, it would be better to not attract the attention of any potential litigants.

In short: Aside from whatever personal changes Dust might choose to make to the home-brew, the document is fine and can be left as-is.

And I'm still really glad Dust went to the trouble of making it.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2011-10-10 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Grammar

19. - Top - End - #589
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Got into a weird rp. Me using a Banga Fighter with the art of war variant(See home brew thread), another being a hume fighter, and another warrior type. He said ether Paladin or Dark Knight so yeah.
    Gonna be kinda interesting to see how it balances between the 2 fighters and another warrior type class.
    aww I think I'm honored... at least I hope I am... depends on how you mean it's a weird rp.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...please...please refrain from submitting unnecessary litigatory concepts
    You've got a bad attitude, sir. And I really don't feel welcome here at all. If that is the point then this can be my last post.

That said, I was just trying to be helpful. Many really great games have been released under that license... but I didn't think about the possibility of getting unwanted attention. (Not that I think it would)

21. - Top - End - #591
    Pixie in the Playground

Probably the latter. Playtesting has brought up more than a small handful of things that need fixing, and work has kept me preoccupied.
    Oh, I totally understand.

Just let us (or me anyway) know if you need any help playtesting or editing or anything. The version you've put up works just fine, but some of the changes you've hinted at so far definitely sound like improvements.

Just out of idle curiosity, have you ever considered dropping the skill point/attribute tie-in and just let characters put up to four points into any skill at character creation? I ask because it seems like this would fix a couple of things while also making character creation even more streamlined, thus killing two birds with one stone:

-No more looking up an attribute ranking and adding +1 to it. (It can get a bit fiddly)

-Some character concepts would actually work better (such as a character who isn't all that bright, but who is skilled at mixing potions or fixing things, etc.)

-Better genre emulation at low levels (a +4 in athletics would allow you to run a chase scene from rooftop to rooftop, yet not do anything world-breaking, etc.) Most FF characters are, after all, pretty competent at what they do best.

-Even with a +4 to a skill check, a character would still only succeed at challenging tasks less than half the time. No game balance issue there.

Just a thought. Don't let me mess anything up.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Dwarf in the Playground

You've got a bad attitude, sir. And I really don't feel welcome here at all. If that is the point then this can be my last post.

That said, I was just trying to be helpful. Many really great games have been released under that license... but I didn't think about the possibility of getting unwanted attention. (Not that I think it would)
    Actually the responder to your previous post has the right attitude. Dust has a disclaimer in his original documentation. All that other stuff just makes it where people can get nasty with the law and no one on a free homebrew gaming thread needs that.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hi there Dust and everyone else,

I registered just to post in this thread. I must say that you took upon yourself a herculean task and accomplished it pretty well. I cannot wait to see what the new update will be like. My only request is that you please, please please playtest the hell out of it. Just do an open playtest or something, with a 100 plus people if possible.

Currently I am favoring the Returners FFRPG, because it is playtested more and because I like what they have done with the classes. However, this could all change with your next edition of the FFRPG.

One thing I would request from you, please make the Dark Knight and the Paladin classes without spellcasting ability, like the Returner versions. That is truer to the FF games. Also, if possible please include a Holy Swordsman class, which was the class of Agrias and Delita in FF:Tactics. Paladin comes close, at least in the Returners version of the game, but still not the same thing. I have wanted to play a Holy Swordsman in a pnp game ever since I controlled Agrias in the original playstation game, and lately the FFT: PSP version.

Lastly, what are the chances you could make the game more like FFT? So basically, free job switching, and abilities cost JP's. Plus, you can also select the other, secondary abilities of each job such as Flight, Teleport, Jump +3, etc etc etc.

Best of luck and I eagerly await the next version of your game.

Regards

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by andhaira View Post

Lastly, what are the chances you could make the game more like FFT? So basically, free job switching, and abilities cost JP's. Plus, you can also select the other, secondary abilities of each job such as Flight, Teleport, Jump +3, etc etc etc.

Best of luck and I eagerly await the next version of your game.

Regards
    In the homebrew thread I did a variant rule for FF3 style job changing. It doesn't address the "abilities by JP" etc. requsts, but maybe take a look? I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

hi andhaira,
    First I don't speak for Dust or even have any connection beyond watching this thread. The trend for play testing is that Dust tests it out with a close group until it is well balanced. Then it gets posted online, and the forum people beta test it and give feedback that goes into the next version. Since this as been happening for a while, this next version can be considered well play-tested.

Dust commented that the next version uses a mix and match model for classes (hence freelancer is going to be gone), so if JP is not implemented it should be trivial to houserule in.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

FF1 Paladin version had low level White magic

FF3 Knight was paladin and also had white magic

FF4 Cecil had White Magic

FF9 Beatrix has white magic and is like a paladin

FF11 Hello Paladin white magic

Dark Knights have been about status effects from time to time along with using hp for extra damage. So the black magic kinda works, just choose status effect spells.

So Paladins having white magic works.
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2011-10-14 at 07:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi there Dust and everyone else,

One thing I would request from you, please make the Dark Knight and the Paladin classes without spellcasting ability, like the Returner versions. That is truer to the FF games.
    As someone else already pointed out, this just isn't the case. There are many Paladin spellcasters in FF. Not sure about the Dark Knights, though.

Honestly... I don't think FFT would translate well to a table top game. While such things are fine in a tactical video game, you'd run into situations like this at the table:

Player: I want to use my jump ability to leap over the wall and escape the guards!
    GM: You can't.
    Player: Why not?
    GM: Errr... Because you're dressed as a black wizard and you didn't pick jump before the battle?
    Player: That's... Amazingly stupid.
    GM: Yeah. It really is.

Also, having to keep track of JP's for a table top game seems like it would require *excessive* book keeping, and wouldn't really emulate the majority of the games in the series well at all. In short, you'd be emulating FFT better, but to the detriment of running anything else with it.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dark Knights never really get magic. Mostly HP for extra damage and status effects.

I guess dust decided to give them black magic so they could get status spells instead of making the ability list be a bunch of status abilities.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

About the Paladin, I would then request Dust to make a new Job then called Holy Swordsman, based on Agrias and Delita from FFT. The Paladin class from Returners is based both on the classic Paladin and the Holy Swordsman from FFT, but I want one that's just based on the Holy Swordsman.

About modeling the system after FFT, you can easily modify the silliness away. For instance, many classes in FFT are not avialable at the start. Change this for the pnp RPG so that they are. Furthermore, if you buy any ability from any job, just rule that you can always use it. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. Seems like simple common sense to me.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Firbolg in the Playground

About the Paladin, I would then request Dust to make a new Job then called Holy Swordsman, based on Agrias and Delita from FFT. The Paladin class from Returners is based both on the classic Paladin and the Holy Swordsman from FFT, but I want one that's just based on the Holy Swordsman.

About modeling the system after FFT, you can easily modify the silliness away. For instance, many classes in FFT are not avialable at the start. Change this for the pnp RPG so that they are. Furthermore, if you buy any ability from any job, just rule that you can always use it. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. Seems like simple common sense to me.
    You could also request things here. I'm sure Dust has enough on her plate with this project.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).