New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Also: I don't know if this was spotted but the spell "Meteorite" on page 181 claims "Target: Single" but the description says "damage to all enemies". Based on the description/cost/damage I presume it means to actually be a group attack and not a single target spell.
    It's been noted previously, it's a Target: Group spell.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

Any idea when this will be done I want to know if I should just use the old version for the campaign i have planed it will most likely be in about 4 weeks.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

3. - Top - End - #723
    Bugbear in the Playground

My estimate is about a week. That could change to be YEARS, however, knowing how I do things.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    My estimate is about a week. That could change to be YEARS, however, knowing how I do things.
    Years? Oh, dear, Dust, I hope you're just pulling our leg!

However long it takes, though, I shall wait. This game is too good for me not to have the new version!

5. - Top - End - #725
    Pixie in the Playground

I will have to agree with the poster above me~ Though I wanted to start my FFD6 campaign with the newer version we decided since the wait is longer then expected to go with the old version. And we played last night for the first time and it was amazing. So fast and fluid. We got way more done and way more fun I would like to think then if we did D&D, for example. The fast pace kept people on their toes and instead of trying to play it as a game the players were more so actually getting in character and treating it like an experience of sorts.

6. - Top - End - #726

Hey Dust, I was recently looking through skill checks and noticed that one example of a successful Heroic action (difficulty 15 under the the tab skills in defining a hero) was the creation of a powerful weapon. I know that this kind of game often has the gm making decisions on the spot, but I was curious to know if you meant that to mean a tier 7 or a tier 8 weapon.

7. - Top - End - #727

I believe it was actually something like a Tier 4 weapon, though I'd actually have to download the old books and check to give you a definite answer. Someone else could probably give you a more accurate response. The synthesis (crafting) difficulties for each tier of weapon are listed, I believe in the equipment section.
    In that context, 'powerful' means like, 'rocket launcher.'

8. - Top - End - #728

Download the past manuals?! Dust, did you suffer a surprise format or some-such?

In any case, to those wondering about which version to run, the only sensible thing to do is use the version available and run it. I still have my copy of the manual.

9. - Top - End - #729

I....I don't want to talk about it. *stares off into the distance with a pained look in her eye*

Anyway, just finishing correcting all the bestiary entries now. Was hoping to get something on FFXIV but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe an index if I feel like it. Few more days if all goes well.

Edit: Whoop. Slightly longer. Still generally on-schedule though.
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-03-14 at 06:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #730

Very well. In better news, I started my first play-test of the previous system. Finally. Things are becoming interesting with rolls, but there's been no player-character combat yet.

I'm still thinking about making a Level-One-Bestiary for Final Fantasy D6 with Druid. One of my home-brew projects is on hold due to...ethical reasons.

11. - Top - End - #731

The new book will be up on Wednesday. I'm finished now, just waiting for a few last people to grant approval for picture-use and taking my time building the index. Thanks for all your patience.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Pixie in the Playground

The new book will be up on Wednesday.
    Aww yeah~! Thems the words I've been waiting for right there. Book up Wednesday, just enough time to get a read and get my game going friday.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The book with the new system? cool!

14. - Top - End - #734
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, yeah! Super stoked about seeing the upgrade! =D Me and my group are enjoying the system so far. So here's to hoping when we convert we'll get even more fun times. Thanks for all of your hard work, Dust!

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

The new book will be up on Wednesday. I'm finished now, just waiting for a few last people to grant approval for picture-use and taking my time building the index. Thanks for all your patience.
    Awesome.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #736

Congratulations, Dust! Here, have a fanfare.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So what would be the easiest way to convert homebrew to the new edition? The preview we got a few months ago had 4 stats then 2 based on those didn't it? Any advice or?

18. - Top - End - #738

I don't imagine it'll be too hard - like, at all. The two substats are just a simplified version of Attribute Ratings - which was always a dumb idea - and characters using the old rules should even be able to convert pretty easily (with the exception of people who dabbled in Freelancer stuff, who are pretty much going to be up a certain creek).

19. - Top - End - #739

I still quite haven't worked out how to transform a microsoft word document, done on a mac, into a PDF file where the quality isn't massively degraded. That's something I'll be working on over the next 24 hours or so in order to get the appearance of the document out of the gutter, at which point this download link will vanish and a new one will appear on the front page.
    I'm only posting this today because a very good friend informed me they'd murder me if I put things off for another day or two.

- Tentative download link to awful-quality version -

In the coming few weeks, I'll be;
    - Filling up the Bestiary to be chock-full of creatures after a bit more high-level playtesting to determine whether or not the given ARM and M.ARM scores are a little too low or just right.
    - Adjusting abilities/combinations of abilities that are either too good or deemed sub-par by players
    - Fixing the many typos that are sure to be found
    - Seriously considering getting rid of Unburdened Soul, the Samurai special ability
    - Rebuild the character sheet into something that looks spiffy with my amateur photoshop skillz
    - Generally realizing it's 2012 and I've missed so much! Like Skyrim!

Over the next few months, I MIGHT;
    - Go back and reorganize all the job abilities to be alphabetical
    - Ditto with monster abilities
    - Add the FFXIV section
    - Add rules for multiple summons on the field together at once, and multi-user teamwork attacks

20. - Top - End - #740
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Small error in the story for Deathbringer. In the after math, the wielder of the Deathbringer TOOK residence

You list a godlike difficulty for the check to make a legendary weapon. Its Impossible, not godlike when its shown how hard to make a weapon.
    Godlike is tier 7.
    Will look for other small errors.

Also, I made the thanks section. WOOHOO!
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-03-21 at 08:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Hooray! Let the endless nitpicking begin

Nah seriously, you rule.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Firbolg in the Playground

Under Combat Statistics (pg. 6 of the book, 10 in the .pdf file), you have "Magic Points (HP)", which should have MP in parentheses.

I'll look for more and revise my homebrew once I get a better look at the new stuff.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #743
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Anyone wanna right up a guide to character creation? Or converting homebrew classes.

MP bonus doesn't seem to have been converted uniformly like HP has, for HP it seems to have just been a straight +12 to the old class hp.

NVM. Only applied ot the first 3 classes.

Although it does seem to stay in the realm of +10-12

I plan to use the old races. No mechanical difference is kinda...lame.

Grafts are out now too? Dang it. I liked those.

So other then the stat changes are there any OTHER features changed or removed enough to not be similar or a purely cosmetic thing now?

Note to self. Redo entire character for pbp on other forum. Concept is pretty much scrapped anyway. Or stay with the old edition....hm. Seems simple to just port grafts and stuff forward I guess. Racial bonuses are easy. IDK what to do.
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-03-21 at 08:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744

I like grafts, too. It's a shame that it got dumbed down to just another type of mechanical pro/con. Maybe I'll sit down and put some serious thought into it at some point in the future and bring 'em back.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So question, why remove racial bonuses? They weren't major things except or the Baanga one. They just helped define each race as more then "Like a human but" and keep it from being a purely cosmetic thing.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Firbolg in the Playground

Under Aim, you call it Take Aim.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

27. - Top - End - #747
    Dwarf in the Playground

Overall, I'm liking what I'm reading. A few typoes that make intent unclear, but I think it's an improvement overall. Some of the more major ones I caught, though:

Black Mage's Specialization for Fire has (PWR x 0) in the formula. (p 19)

Red Mage is missing its Innate job ability (p 75).
    Last edited by Break; 2012-03-22 at 12:14 AM.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

28. - Top - End - #748

The PWR x 0 isn't a typo, odd as that is. Since the actual ability belongs to increases Fire damage by one or more steps, we figuring having it start at 0 was a less ambiquitous wording than starting at PWR x 1, and then trying to figure out if the ability increased that or not.

Runic is a Red Mage's innate, but you probably guessed that. I'll make sure I label that asap.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Halfling in the Playground

If anyone is planning on testing the new version I'd love to be a player!

30. - Top - End - #750

For Dust:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I still quite haven't worked out how to transform a microsoft word document, done on a mac, into a PDF file where the quality isn't massively degraded. That's something I'll be working on over the next 24 hours or so in order to get the appearance of the document out of the gutter, at which point this download link will vanish and a new one will appear on the front page.

I'm only posting this today because a very good friend informed me they'd murder me if I put things off for another day or two.
    Dust's friend was right... Keeping promises is important.

That said, I... I...

I like the previous one better. ...... I don't want to be mean. But I'm also expected to be honest. I should be honest... Please take the following with...caution. It really is only one person's opinion. But since Dust has made it clear that she wants responses, I'll add some thoughts here:

Spoiler
    Show
    There's a lot of formatting issues with the new release which I'm sure can be corrected. It'd be really nice to have a version number either in the manual, on the file, or both. I made a temporary one for mine.

There were some art experiments in this release. There's just way too much white in the early pages. This is exacerbated by wide text taking up most of the page rather than being organized into neat columns. It is also exacerbated by the monotonous font(s?) ( and the minimally-varying-text-sizes ) used through the manual. It is pretty clear, but too white.

Later in the manual the monotony of white and black is thankfully broken up by tables with shades of gray in their background. I would recommend to use this function in some way in the Job and Skill sections so as to increase the legibility of the material. If Dust wishes some fonts, I can point in the direction of functional and free ones.

What I really want is that paper-like background back...but that's just an opinion.

The crystal images for the Job summary section turned out much better than I thought they would. The crystals in the Job Ability lists, however, struck me as too large, but that was also coupled with the really wide text. My impression of the Magick section was roughly the same as this: too wide, and too bi-tonal. The Summons section was a little better with the introduction of blue text into the columns, but remained roughly the same.

The shadows next to the images for each Job...look really really superfluous. Impotent...aimless...non-sequitur...ridiculous...dumb... I wish I had the right word, but with all of that blank open white behind the black text those shadows do not seem to fit. I know that this is only my personal opinion, but I can not emphasize strongly enough ( even if I do it quietly like this ) how much I think those shadows should be removed, background or no.

The Bestiary summary section had some neat little icons. I liked them. If they had been actually used in the rest of the Bestiary-section-Proper, it would have made more sense and looked much better. I also think that the Bestiary-section-proper could use some organization-into-monster-types, and then list the monsters in those types from one to [maximum], but that is just...my practical side being noisy.

Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Arcana
      Arial
      Aquan
      Cosmic
      Earthen
      Terrestrial
    • Beast
      Arial
      Aquan
      Cosmic
      Earthen
      Terrestrial
    • Construct
      Arial
      Aquan
      Cosmic
      Earthen
      Terrestrial
    • Humanoid
      Arial
      Aquan
      Cosmic
      Earthen
      Terrestrial
    • Plant
      Arial
      Aquan
      Cosmic
      Earthen
      Terrestrial
    • Undead
      Arial
      Aquan
      Cosmic
      Earthen
      Terrestrial

The reason I suggest this is because a full Bestiary will have a lot of creatures in it. ...and GameMasters are going to to determine their battles by terrain type. The environment where a monster can be found is pretty important, especially if someone comes along later and says, "I want to make a custom map for my Final Fantasy game!" I know that I already made one.

On page two hundred sixty one, in the bestiary section, there is a moogle with speech bubbles and explanations. That entire rectangle of concept expression is perfect! The quality of the images are not the best, but the design and intent is quite good. Good job with that.

The Bestiary-Section-Proper tried out some neat stuff. The panels and the art were pretty good, but I silently wondered while I read it if all the work was...justified. Many of those status icons, the darker ones, seemed more difficult to read in the Affected By bubble because of that half-black background. I haven't thought of any immediate way to rectify this. So while I think the design idea is neat for the bestiary entries I really believe that the execution must be stepped up a few notches. I may change my mind when the higher quality version comes out. We'll see...

I also realized for the first time today that Chapter VI does not belong. The World chapter could be its own companion manual. Sure, it offers some mechanical, monster, and racial information of the numerical sort, but the majority of it is setting information which makes an already...long document longer.

One companion manual could be for the Final Fantasy game settings, another could be for the home-brew thread. Yet another could be for races and such, but the lion's share of starting players are all going to play hume characters, even if they all want to play dragoons.

So that's another thought, I guess. Less document-cramming.

Spoiler
    Show
    I still have the want to add to the Bestiary section. That could be it's own companion manual too, I think, but maybe it shouldn't be because the player characters need something to smite for leveling and conflict purposes.

...I sent a message to Druid at one point about expanding the Bestiary, but did not receive a reply. So while I am still able to do that I wonder if I should begin doing so at all. ......

I'm just so sorry... I wish I had more nice things to say... I feel terrible...

Above all, though, I want to say, "Thanks. Thanks, Dust, for putting the manual out there."