New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

I've posted some of my thoughts on improving other PWR-using job abilities, plus making Arcane weapons a more viable choice, in the homebrew thread.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok you got me on the Teamwork Attack Aniseed buuuut, only because they didn't go with their original ideas on it. that of course is neither here nor there.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Question Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Okay as of right now I'm playing a FFd6 game with some friends that I am running, Were all generally impressed by the system, but we just discovered this thread, and now are considering switching over to the new rules set, but before that I have a couple concerns.

I understand I'll be asking my PC's to re-roll there characters, under the old 1-30 rule system they all just hit level 6, now under the new rule set which goes from 1-15 that would, make them closer to half the max level rather than close to 1/5th max level..

How would I handle this, I could let them just convert over straight in which case there going to get a decent power boost due to scaling, or I could have them roll as a level 3, but that feels like cheating them.

Basically what advice can you guys give me here?

Also why was the freelancer job taken out, sure they sucked but it was kinda comical to look at?

4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground

At level 6 in the old system, they had, what, 2 or 3 more abilities than they started with? I'd put them at whatever level grants them the same number of abilities they currently have.

That actually brings up a point for me, why was the level cap dropped? I realize people get new abilities faster now, and that if the modern ability gain rate and previous level cap were linked, it would end with a bunch of fairly generic characters, but I'm still curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akitoscorpio View Post
    Also why was the freelancer job taken out, sure they sucked but it was kinda comical to look at?
    Shenanigans made them really weak in the early game, but then vastly overpowered late game.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #816
    Halfling in the Playground

The FF1 section of the new version has a paragraph mentioning Chaos and Garland, neither of them have stat blocks are in the book because this is a hold over from the first version, I figured I should bring it to your attention.

7. - Top - End - #817

I've a question about Gemini weapons. Well, several.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, let's say you're a black mage and you have a tier 2 gemini weapon, for example arcane and huge. Forgetting for a moment the fact that this may not be optimal, are you proficient with the weapon? How about Gemini armor?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now you have a tier 4 weapon. Is the tier 2 version of the ability still active? Is it possible to choose to have it function as the tier 2 version, a hybrid rather than a transformative weapon?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once you have a tier 6 weapon, (assuming that the tier 2 version is still active) does this let the weapon count as 3 types at the same time? Let's say, arcane, brawl, and huge?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Dwarf in the Playground

sorry dust for the PM flood but the first message I sent regarding my MP infantry told me it didn't send as well as the second...

9. - Top - End - #819
    Pixie in the Playground

Another question that's come up in our group:

What happens when a Sagacity Red Mage multiclasses? Do they keep their unfettered access to Time, Black, and White magic?

10. - Top - End - #820
    Dwarf in the Playground

They should retain their full list of spells. Same as if you classed into Red Mage, took Sagacity, and classed out, I think.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Will Grafts remain the same?
    I could imagine a highly expensive graft, end game, that could replicate multiple parts.

I did like the eye grafts and the sleepless graft.

EDIT: Perhaps Grafts should use the accessories rules, in regards to creation, perhaps #x base cost, due to permanency.

EDIT EDIT: Maybe a property 'Penalty', along the lines of fragile and limit, which allows you to get +1 tier effect at the cost of an equivalent/approved penalty.
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2012-04-21 at 09:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Pixie in the Playground

I would say, very strongly, that between Gemini, Fragile, and Limit, there are enough ways to munchkin your equipment without adding additional options.

Besides, the 'Penalty' property sounds just like Limit anyway?

13. - Top - End - #823
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Penalty is slightly less bang for your negative buck than Limit actually but that's after only a cursory glance I made on friday.

14. - Top - End - #824

Apologies regarding the lack of answers. I've been fending off emails and PMs mostly, and am in the middle of a move. I'll sit down and update the ruleset on the 3rd or so once things have all settled down.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think Limited could also apply to Consumables.

Reasoning:
    Gyshal Greens 20 gil: Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +4
    Pahsana Greens 50 gil: Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +4 Skill Bonus Nature +4
    Regan Greens 6500: Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +10
    Sylkis Greens 20000 gil: Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +10 Skill Bonus Nature +10

See above?
    That is what I was thinking.

Of course, if you were going by FF7, HP Restore would be in there someplace...maybe variable...maybe putting a combo effect on variable. (You may place Variable on Limit Consumable for free, causing it to have different effects in different situations) ....or something like that.

Gyshal Greens 20 gil: Variable + Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +4. On non-chocobos, this green restores 25% HP.
    Pahsana Greens 50 gil: Variable + Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +4 Skill Bonus Nature +4. On non-chocobos, this green restores 26% HP.
    Regan Greens 6500: Variable + Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +10. On non-chocobos, this green restores 50% HP.
    Sylkis Greens 20000 gil: Variable + Limited (Chocobos Only) + Skill Bonus Nature +10 Skill Bonus Nature +10. On non-chocobos, this green restores 100% HP.

Also, speaking of consumables... Spellburst is too powerful. 200 gil for a Haste potion? 200 gil for a NUKE potion!!!?!? It should be something around 2k or 6.5k
    I recommend the following change, or something along its lines:
    Spellburst: Tier 3/6/8 Weapon, Accessory, Consumable Upon a critical hit, a weapon with the Spellburst will cast a specific magical spell. The wielder may also choose to cast the spell directly from the item for no MP as a Standard Action, with a 25% chance to destroy the item (100% if the item is a Consumable). Only one spell can be cast on a critical hit, and a character who purchases or creates an item with the Spellburst property must be able to cast the chosen spell themselves, without the expenditure of Destiny. Some GMs may allow specific Spellburst items to be purchased on a case--‐by--‐case basis. If an Indestructible item would be destroyed by forcefully using Spellburst, it does not break --‐ however, the Spellburst property is forever removed.
    A Tier 6 or greater equipment is required to cast Rank 4/Superior spells.
    Only legendary Spellburst equipment is capable of casting Rank 5/Ancient magic, the Osmose or Esuna spells.

16. - Top - End - #826

Quote Originally Posted by DruidJP585 View Post
    A Tier 6 or greater equipment is required to cast Rank 4/Superior spells.
    Only legendary Spellburst equipment is capable of casting Rank 5/Ancient magic, the Osmose or Esuna spells.
    Brilliant, and well-caught. I'll double-check to make sure this works and probably end up instituting this immediately.

I also see no reason I didn't let Limited apply to consumables other than not considering the possibility properly. I'll address these things as well.

Props t'you.

17. - Top - End - #827

...it is more precious that Dust continues to improve the home-brew document than all those who question its viability.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Pixie in the Playground

Things I noticed in the playtest I ran last night:

- There were things, mostly consumables, that had to be straight up banned due to being ridiculously powerful. Zombie Touch and Stop Touch consumables, which inflict their status 100% of the time with no resist, cost 50g to purchase. Spellburst: Haste items only cost 200 to purchase. Hell, Spellburst: Hastaga items only cost 200 to purchase. It is my personal opinion that for basically every property that goes both on weapons/accessories and on consumables, the tier rating of the consumables should be raised by two to balance it out (ie: [Status]-Touch would be written something like 'tier 2/5 weapon/accessory, tier 4/7 consumable/food'). Beyond 'don't stick those properties on consumables in the first place', that was basically the only thing I could think of to make them less completely ridiculous.

- We didn't have any Red Mages in the playtest, so I don't know how they'd stack up, but the 'PWR for both weapon damage and magic damage' problem meant that the two Black Mages in the party with multiple instances of Specialization and element strike weapons made everyone except the White Mage continuously hasting them almost completely redundant. One of the Black Mages commented to me that it felt strange that, due to multiple attacks, he was doing more damage in a single round of physical attacks than he would if he'd been casting Nuke.

- None of the monsters or bosses we made actually seemed to pose much of a challenge to the group; I think that one character might have gotten knocked into critical HP once, but that was it.

I will edit this to include further observations once my players wake up and I can grab some opinions from them.

19. - Top - End - #829

Another glaring oversight - consumables that were intended to be used on opponents was something I planned on going back and working on, and never did. Like DruidJP585 noted, that's gotta get some serious attention, because custom consumables are broken at the moment.

If you were to guess a cause about the boss(es?) not posing a threat, would you say it was because they were dying too quickly, the white mage was simply extremely effective, the bosses simply not having enough offense themselves, etc etc?

At what level was this playtest? In the 10+ range, obviously, but if I was looking for specifics?
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-04-30 at 11:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Another glaring oversight - consumables that were intended to be used on opponents was something I planned on going back and working on, and never did. Like DruidJP585 noted, that's gotta get some serious attention, because custom consumables are broken at the moment.

If you were to guess a cause about the boss(es?) not posing a threat, would you say it was because they were dying too quickly, the white mage was simply extremely effective, the bosses simply not having enough offense themselves, etc etc?

At what level was this playtest? In the 10+ range, obviously, but if I was looking for specifics?
    It was level 10 exactly. The mook monsters couldn't pierce the players' defenses (and went down in one or two hits each), and the boss only got two or three attacks out before it went down as well. Those attacks that it did get did decent damage, but nowhere near enough to actually force the White Mage to spend his time on healing.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I was just referred to this thread from a thread on the Paizo forums and I'm really interested but obviously there have been a lot of updates. Is the original link the updated .pdf or is it somewhere in the 26 pages of posts? (which I'm really hoping it's not and I don't have to search through 26 pages of posts X.X)

22. - Top - End - #832

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhammer View Post
    I was just referred to this thread from a thread on the Paizo forums and I'm really interested but obviously there have been a lot of updates. Is the original link the updated .pdf or is it somewhere in the 26 pages of posts? (which I'm really hoping it's not and I don't have to search through 26 pages of posts X.X)
    The original was taken down from the original post. I think someone reposted it in the last page or two, but I couldn't test it due to being on a university connection (rules and such).
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #833

The link in the current front-page post is the newest one, albeit at a much lower resolution and quality than I'd like and missing a few important blocks 'o text. Scouring this thread could find you an older edition if you were so inclined.

Doing an update with all of the changes this upcoming weekend.
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-05-06 at 03:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The link in the current front-page post is the newest one, albeit at a much lower resolution and quality than I'd like and missing a few important blocks 'o text. Scouring this thread could find you an older edition if you were so inclined.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59000492/Old%20FFd6.zip
    There you go.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Will that update the original post or will it be a new post?

And thank you Wiimanclassic for the link

26. - Top - End - #836
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhammer View Post
    Will that update the original post or will it be a new post?

And thank you Wiimanclassic for the link
    In the past Dust has changed the link in the opening post, so just grab it from there.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Did this system have a Freelancer job class taken out of the book or am I mixing this up with a different FF system?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

28. - Top - End - #838

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Did this system have a Freelancer job class taken out of the book or am I mixing this up with a different FF system?
    The freelancer was really unbalanced and hard to balance, so it was taken out as a job. Parts of it exist still in this version, though.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #839
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Got turned into a few abilities you can take so anyone can job change.

30. - Top - End - #840

As people have been PMing me about this, be aware that I'm taking some time off. Casually watching games using this system and taking notes and all that jazz, but otherwise I'm just putting it out of my mind for the first time in years.