New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

...I sympathize with that decision and endorse it. Dust's mind should be a healthy place.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Pixie in the Playground

Greetings Dusty ^_^ I just wanted you to know I specifically made a forum account in order to tell you how much I love your system! I followed the Returners for quite some time and played 3rd edition extensively... but your take on things seems to be somehow much more... appealing. I'm not really sure how to explain it exactly. It's not necessarily simpler overall, though it is where it needs to be. I look forward to running my next game with this, and I appreciate all of your hard work :D I do hope that after your time off that you continue to update and work on this... and perhaps get yourself a website. But until then, enjoy your vacation, you deserve it!

3. - Top - End - #843
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

This is a really neat idea. I'll have to read through the PDF.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, quick question... I just noticed that Red Mage doesn't have an 'Innate' Job Ability. As intended or oversight?

Also the Black Mage Job Ability 'Specialization' reads... "Fire: You ignite the target and cause them to burn. They suffer (PWR x 0) points of Fire damage..." Is this correct? I mean... that would just work out to 0 damage, right? Unless 0 is supposed to be replaced by another number.
    Last edited by Quinnxotic; 2012-07-06 at 04:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnxotic View Post
    Also the Black Mage Job Ability 'Specialization' reads... "Fire: You ignite the target and cause them to burn. They suffer (PWR x 0) points of Fire damage..." Is this correct? I mean... that would just work out to 0 damage, right? Unless 0 is supposed to be replaced by another number.
    Already explained several pages earlier. Here's the gist:
    IIRC, Specialization boosts your chosen element by one level in supplement to additional effects like what you're detailing there. That boost applies everywhere your element is involved, including those special effects. When you take a Fire Specialization, the way it works, you'll always do more than PWR x 0 damage. It's worded this way to make calculation easier.
    That means that with a Fire Specialization and no other boost, burning a target causes PWR x 1 Fire damage; it may still be increased by other means.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

6. - Top - End - #846
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah I see... I tried reading through the 20+ pages but so much of it seems to be talking about earlier version of this system, referencing things like the freelancer job which was apparently removed, old attributes, etc that I decided to just ask it at the end, assuming that another player could answer even if Dust was too busy :D

In any event, thank you Musashi. What about my Red Mage question?

7. - Top - End - #847

Red Mage's innate ability is Runic; the fact that it isn't labelled was an oversight.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright thank you ^_^

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone played both editions? How do the two stack up to one another?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-07-06 at 08:13 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I've read through at least three different versions so far and so far I'm rather partial to the way this one turned out. But I won't know until I've played a game or two... Speaking of which I've seen a lot of interest on this forum stretching back a few months, but I wonder how interested people still are? I'd love to run some test sessions in order to help collect some raw data for Dust, when she returns from her self-imposed exile ^_^
    Last edited by Quinnxotic; 2012-07-08 at 03:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #851

If Dust wants to relax and not think about home-brew, then that's the correct choice. I still have my copy of the last edition. I prefer it. I'm still technically running a play-test of it. But I've made it a point to watch for genuine up-dates to this thread.

My goal is to make my support for Dust clear, even if it is not very loud.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, truth is its impossible to satisfy everyone. When she released her take on FFRPG, there were people who prefered her book to the returners, and vice versa. And as she updates, each revision is likely to cause further splits as people grow used to a certain way of doing things and not everyone likes change, even if its for the best. And of course, everyone has different opinions on how things should run, such as this PWR stat... But regardless of which version people enjoy or how they modify it to fit with their RP, I hope that knowing how much people appreciate her efforts and support her, regardless of the outcome, brings her some much deserved happiness. Can't be easy trying to please everyone and make this system work mechanically while still being both balanced and fun. I don't envy that responsibility but I do love your work so far Dusty!
    Last edited by Quinnxotic; 2012-07-08 at 03:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Older rules are a bit better in terms of supporting different types of characters from a crunch perspective. Wanna make an old man whos a conduit of ultimate arcane power but crap at anything physical? You can do it. Wanna do that in the new system? Your physical attacks will for some reason but just as strong as the fighters assuming nothing to boost them and same tier weapons.

That is not right.

Granted the new version DOES have some good ideas. It just took out some things for no reason(races and grafts) and drastically reduced the uniqueness of the different classes if they have the same stats, which they most do for power.
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-07-07 at 01:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Wanna make an old man whos a conduit of ultimate arcane power but crap at anything physical? You [can't do it in the new system].

That is not right.
    This is one of the primary reasons that the latest rule revisions have been put up yet, despite being more-or-less done. I'd really like to address this issue - not to mention the fact that I can't seem to get a nice, high-resolution pdf from a mac - before anything else.
    And frankly, kicking back and just watching games for a bit is a nice change of pace.

I don't feel as though I'll be re-adding a 5th stat. Four works well with a system that's designed to allow lots of job-hopping, and I don't even feel that a black mage who can hold his own in melee damage is really that detrimental, either. Not intuitive, sure, I'll give you that. But un-fun from a tabletop gaming standpoint? You'd have to work hard to convince me that of that.
    Regardless of how I might feel about a mage who can crack someone upside the head with a quarterstaff, not having the OPTION to build the enfeebled old mage is a problem that I won't deny. I'm just short a solution for the time being.

I liked Grafts, but they were too setting-specific and bizarre - not to mention being a little munchkinny by their very nature - to be part of the core rules. I'd like to revisit that at some point...but not for a bit.
    But you know that.

I'd also really like to get a website going here at some point, even if it's just a blog.

Quinnxotic, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're finding the book useful!

15. - Top - End - #855
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Regardless of how I might feel about a mage who can crack someone upside the head with a quarterstaff, not having the OPTION to build the enfeebled old mage is a problem that I won't deny. I'm just short a solution for the time being.
    Perhaps some sort of quirk that weakens the character's weapon damage, but raises some other thing slightly. I'm not sure. I haven't reviewed the rules for a long time, so...
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

16. - Top - End - #856
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Or base magic damage on Mind or some combination of Mind and Resolve to show someone with a weak will or no drive when faced with a challenge(low resolve) or isn't smart or good with mana(low mind) is worse at using magic? Eh a 4 attribute system is hard to work with. Working with just Mind makes Power a dump stat, which for a mage makes sense. Eh.

Why do PCs taking more damage from Dark element attacks? Is that based on one of the games or something made up for this?

Also why were races removed? Waiting to figure out bonuses to give them or ignoring that they are different enough that assuming they are the same is sorta...weird?
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-07-07 at 07:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Pixie in the Playground

While we're on the topic of races, what's the crunch reasoning behind 'everyone is weak to Shadow unless you take an ability'?

I can see it from a fluff standpoint, but something that absolute and far-reaching seems odd to base on just fluff.

EDIT: A question that's come up in my group: Can the Piercing and Worldshaker limit qualities be combined? On the one hand, Worldshaker doesn't actually deal damage (just changes terrain), but it's been pointed out in my group that recurring damage is pretty easily negated with just ARM/MARM.
    Last edited by Aniseed; 2012-07-08 at 12:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

This isn't something I had a problem with itself but why was Mutation changed to Bloodline? From a fluff perspective mutation sorta made sense since your body is changing to become more like a broad type of monster but blood line works for that also I guess but implies its being done for a different reason.

Also in the Amorph part you mention "An Amorph-*‐mutated character"
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-07-07 at 07:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I kinda like how people keep referring to Dust as a He.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I didn't know Dust was a girl XP I actually just got everything set up for my first playtest so you should start seeing some feedback from us soon!

21. - Top - End - #861
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseed View Post
    it's been pointed out in my group that recurring damage is pretty easily negated with just ARM/MARM.
    This is a WAY different experience than I've had. In our current game we're dealing with some Bomb-type enemies inside a crowded ballroom, and the subsequent house-burning-down meant recurring Fire damage while we were fighting them. At level one, it's something like 3+2d6 damage a round...which is still VERY dangerous when a character only has 2-6 damage reduction from that. Recurring damage has historically been somewhere from 20%-50% of a character's health each round each time I've seen it; never ever has it been ignorable.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey Dusty, if you find yourself in need of help starting up a website or blog, I'm your girl ^_^ I have hosting I hardly use and I feel like it would be a cool way to sorta give back a little for all the hard work you've done writing this system. Let me know what you think.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, if it's alright to ask, I need some rules clarification.

Does Two Weapon Fighting/Dual Wield mean the player rolls two attacks when using two weapons? The book only specifies that with DW, you can reroll one of the 2d6s used with ACC, but not if you actually roll twice.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

24. - Top - End - #864

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnxotic View Post
    Hey Dusty, if you find yourself in need of help starting up a website or blog, I'm your girl ^_^
    This would be more than wonderful. And you'll have to pardon my general shyness and uncertainty, because I don't know how to proceed from here!
    Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Does Two Weapon Fighting/Dual Wield mean the player rolls two attacks when using two weapons?
    1) A dual-wielding character makes his attack roll, rolling 2d6 and adding relevant modifiers.
    2) The player rolls a 2 and a 3, and opts to re-roll the 2 in hopes for a higher number so that the attack actually lands. He picks up the '2' dice and re-rolls only that.
    3) On the next round, the player gets a 5 and a 6. Even though the attack clearly hits, the player decides he's going to re-roll that five and hope for a critical.

Does that make more sense?

25. - Top - End - #865
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I really like what I've read on this version, When I decide to head to fed ex, (only place near here that prints for cheap) and get this whole thing printed out I'll start up a game with a few friends.

26. - Top - End - #866

There's an updated version sitting on my computer that fixes a few serious balance issues, but I'm still struggling with the ability to get it off a mac as a high-res pdf.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Pixie in the Playground

Could you send it in whatever form to someone else and have them do the PDFery?

I could probably harass Zoofman into doing it, if you'd like.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yeah that's the only thing I noticed while reading through it... There were some balance issues... But I'm also the type of DM that Homebrews a ton so there are always balance issues in my game if I have players smart enough to break my system lol.

29. - Top - End - #869

I'll have some time tomorrow. Though I'm not sure how well a mac-based Word doc will upload. A lot of it has to do with my use of transparencies and tables and other similar garbage that I just didn't know about 'til the end.
    I'm starting from scratch to transfer it all over into Pages, which SHOULD work better, and it helps me get around to working on the overall appearance and formatting and lack of columns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novagraf View Post
    There were some balance issues...
    I'd love to hear what you've bumped into.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    This is one of the primary reasons that the latest rule revisions have been put up yet, despite being more-or-less done. I'd really like to address this issue - not to mention the fact that I can't seem to get a nice, high-resolution pdf from a mac - before anything else.
    And frankly, kicking back and just watching games for a bit is a nice change of pace.

I don't feel as though I'll be re-adding a 5th stat. Four works well with a system that's designed to allow lots of job-hopping, and I don't even feel that a black mage who can hold his own in melee damage is really that detrimental, either. Not intuitive, sure, I'll give you that. But un-fun from a tabletop gaming standpoint? You'd have to work hard to convince me that of that.

I liked Grafts, but they were too setting-specific and bizarre - not to mention being a little munchkinny by their very nature - to be part of the core rules. I'd like to revisit that at some point...but not for a bit.
    But you know that.

I'd also really like to get a website going here at some point, even if it's just a blog.

Quinnxotic, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're finding the book useful!
    Have you considered adding something akin to an Advantage/Disadvantage or Traits system? I think the problem that we're seeing right now is that all of a character's crunch is linked directly to his class (or, in the case of Shared Abilities, taking them directly detracts from the class-specific abilities you can take). I think it would be nice to see something added to the character creation that is independent from the jobs themselves, and it should give players a wider range of "character archetypes" to play with.

On a completely unrelated subject, a discussion about weapons came up earlier today that brought a question to my mind, and I thought maybe somebody on here could answer it. Is it possible for a weapon to belong to two separate Weapon Categories at the same time without the Gemini property? For example, could a knife-thrower's knives count as both Ranged and Concealed, granting the properties of both?
    Last edited by Greyfeld85; 2012-07-25 at 07:03 PM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I had my players wake up almost naked in a goblin-crafted dungeon, a voice booming in their ears over a speaker system that they were now a part of a trial experiment for a new piece of magitech.