New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    Edit: Sorry to keep bothering you, but the book states that all classes can use Light Armor. Despite that, several classes don't list Light Armor as an available choice, while others do. Is this an error?
    I believe it was so in many FF games that warriors, and thus by-default heavy armor-users, simply could not equip robes or clothes. Then again, memory may be failing me.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

One of the people from the FFXII game we're setting up is thinking of doing a game taking place in FFVII. I'm prepping a character for that game, and I want to start him with a simple Materia. The FFVII section talks about Materia and how it works, but doesn't give you a pricing guide for them.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a question about monster creation. It's pretty thorough, but it's missing the bit describing how to calculate ARM/M.ARM. The pattern I saw was roughly Level * 4, divvied up between the two as the maker chooses.
    You're close, but it's a larger point-buy system than that. I was originally going to include the methodology in the book, but at the last minute said 'no, this is too needlessly complicated to include' and cut it out. I, for one, was sick of using the similarly-convoluted monster-creation guide in The Returner's FFRPG, and this system has thus been designed so homebrewers can just 'wing it' with whatever feels appropriate, and the PCs should be able to rise to most challenges.
    ....Is it possible to use a different synthesis skill if it fits better (like this entertainer I'm thinking up, who hides smog machines/flash bangs in her bracelets/anklets for both fighting and performing, which seems more fitting for tinkering then the norm)? Maybe at a penalty?
    I wouldn't even impose the penalty. Tinkering makes sense to me.
    Then again, it's certainly not a stretch to imagine a GM who would rule that 'triggered' flash-bangs aren't that different from bullets, which would probably fall under the category of weapons. Judgment call here.
    ....the book states that all classes can use Light Armor. Despite that, several classes don't list Light Armor as an available choice, while others do. Is this an error?
    The former is an error - which page does it appear on?
    We decided Dark Knights walking around in robes and such was thematically inappropriate. Likewise, monks don't inherently have the ability to use even light armor.
    The FFVII section talks about Materia and how it works, but doesn't give you a pricing guide for them.
    No hard and fast rules for this, either. Were I running a FFVII game, I'd suggest 200-250g for a Rank 1 materia would be about right, maybe up to 500g for Blue Magic. I'd probably also add that everything higher than Rank 1 spells would have to be found, not purchased, and remind myself that spells usually become all but obsolete at the same time a character learns them for good anyway, at least in this fashion.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    There is no chance whatsoever. The LAST place you'll find damage is in an Animal Companion for your character, and the 'Wyvern companion' innate ability was phased out in order to turn the Dragoon into more of a constantly-critting battlefield controller. It's a fairly large thematic shift for the Job; while you could certainly still build a dragon companion, the bucketloads of damage that used to go hand in hand with their innate ability no longer exists.
    so I'm missunderstanding the point of having the animal companion do teamwork attacks, care to fill me in?

5. - Top - End - #65

Teamwork attacks interrupt Slow actions and also ignore any enemy properties such as Counterattack of Unusual Defense, allowing you to shut down enemies without becoming endangered yourself. It certainly isn't a HUGE bonus, but again, Animal Companions are designed for noncombat situations.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

You're close, but it's a larger point-buy system than that. I was originally going to include the methodology in the book, but at the last minute said 'no, this is too needlessly complicated to include' and cut it out. I, for one, was sick of using the similarly-convoluted monster-creation guide in The Returner's FFRPG, and this system has thus been designed so homebrewers can just 'wing it' with whatever feels appropriate, and the PCs should be able to rise to most challenges.
    Ah, I can see why. Personally, I'm glad you choose that route. Maybe note that there's no set formula for homebrew monsters under the section to avoid confusion, and maybe suggest an average amount (like the aforementioned 4*level) to use?

I wouldn't even impose the penalty. Tinkering makes sense to me.
    Then again, it's certainly not a stretch to imagine a GM who would rule that 'triggered' flash-bangs aren't that different from bullets, which would probably fall under the category of weapons. Judgment call here.
    Thanks, I was curious.

The former is an error - which page does it appear on?
    We decided Dark Knights walking around in robes and such was thematically inappropriate. Likewise, monks don't inherently have the ability to use even light armor.
    Page 95, Armor. Third paragraph, first sentence. If going by the number of 'pages' according to Adobe Acrobat (which includes things like the cover and table of contents), it's 100 on the dot.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brontes View Post
    Just thought this:

One of the listed potential items under Arcane weapons is the Magic Cannon. Would you be allowed to give it the Ranged Weapon's Distance Property (I think that's right) as a Special Ability?
    Just bringing this up again in case you missed it.

Also, again the various Status Break effects listed under Limit Breaks have a cost listed as 4, but the description under it says 5. Which is correct?

8. - Top - End - #68

The bolded, titular number is always correct. Sorry about the confusion there as well.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, just some nitpicks.

In the latest version I have, I downloaded it either yesterday or the day before, the word "shuriken" is misspelled in the Black Market section.

Oh, and "Mithra" should be bolded in the FFXI section.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Teamwork attacks interrupt Slow actions and also ignore any enemy properties such as Counterattack of Unusual Defense, allowing you to shut down enemies without becoming endangered yourself. It certainly isn't a HUGE bonus, but again, Animal Companions are designed for noncombat situations.
    ok so basically the player takes the bigger penalty (if I read correctly) entirely based on the fact that they don't need other people?

11. - Top - End - #71

That's one way of looking at it.
    You could also say it allows your high-accuracy character or magic-user to ignore monster special effects (granted, by dealing half damage) far more reliably than if you were having to rely on a less-accurate party member.
    Sure, avoiding counterattacks for such a large penalty is not that big of a deal, but again, we're discussing the combat applications that were included in a non-combat ability.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

...So, there are two spells called "Stona" - the level two version of the Black Magic spell Stone, and the White Magic spell that removes Petrify.

Um. This could get confusing for Red Mages. Not to mention any monsters or Espers with "Stona" listed as a known spell.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-11-05 at 09:53 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #73

/headdeskfail

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

/headdeskfail
    Doesn't it make you feel good that all these people are reading everything you wrote, hanging on your every word, though?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

15. - Top - End - #75

how many destiny points would you, as the designer, expect a player to gain in an average session? (I'm gonna be GM'ing a pbp soon, and I need to know how generous to be).
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

16. - Top - End - #76

How would you rule the limited flight of a Moogle (or Gria.) Move as if flying but they have to end their turn on land, getting rid of the bonus vs short-range attacks and immunity to stona would be my suggestion.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Doesn't it make you feel good that all these people are reading everything you wrote, hanging on your every word, though?
    : "Huzzah!"
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    how many destiny points would you, as the designer, expect a player to gain in an average session? (I'm gonna be GM'ing a pbp soon, and I need to know how generous to be).
    We designed the power level of destiny-expending abilities with the assumption you'd get it at a ratio of about 10 EXP : 1 Destiny.
    Assuming you're not a Fighter/Freelancer/Blue Mage with alternate ways of gaining Destiny, here's what you can expect from a game with a lot of Destiny; 6 points for accomplishing all of your goals (easier said than done for some characters), maybe 5-6 for bosses from level 1-30 (but I'm sparse with boss encounters, and this can vary drastically), maybe 3-5 for awesome moments throughout the course of the game, and possibly one or two from an Esper if you include them. So over a thirty-level 'full,' high-powered game, you might expect 14-18 points total.

18. - Top - End - #78

cheers, that's gonna be useful
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Here's something I'd like a ruling on.

Would it be possible for a Weapon of one type to gain another Weapon Type's innate property in some manner?

I ask because an example listed as an Arcane weapon was a Magic Cannon. This has no Distance property, but would a higher tier M.Cannon be able to use the Distance Property?

20. - Top - End - #80

'Special Ability' covers just about every conceivable weapon property - including pre-existing ones like Distance - if the GM will allow it. I certainly would in this case.

The lack of specifics regarding the standard 'innate' weapon properties, and how they can be 'tacked on' to other weapon types, is because generally, it doesn't work out the way it should. The last thing I want for this system is players trying to min/max and argue that every single ninja should pick up Critical Attack for his blades, or a Ranger being upset that he can't counterattack at a Long Range, and so on.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's my question:
    All grafts are assumed to have 1 hit point, and are thus very vulnerable. If a character makes a successful attack against the possessor of a Graft, and knows the body part he is attempting to disable, then the character may choose to deal zero damage and instead render the robotic appendage or graft inoperable. A graft damaged and rendered usable in this way provides no bonuses, but retains any penalties the graft may cause.
    The same Graft can generally be taken multiple times, but bonuses from identical Grafts are never cumulative.
    So if I took the, say, Heavy Arm graft three times, would the enemy have to disable my arm three times to make it completely disabled?
    A completely theoretical question, but worth it I believe.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... I want to get your opinion on something, Dust.

I'm designing a "Summoner" character, and I wanted to give her a Limit Break like Yuna's 'Grand Summon' Limit Break (yes I know about the job ability Grand Summon - I just like the idea of a Limit Break that lets you summon better).

How would you price a Limit Break ability that reduces the cost to summon something by 1 destiny? (Obviously this becomes hilariously useless if you spend destiny to activate the Limit Break...)
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Transformation (1 or 4 Points)
    The character or the limit break’s target adopts a completely different form when the Limit Break is used, changing its type from the standard ‘Humanoid’ to any of the following categories; Abnormal, Aerial, Amorph, Arcana, Aquan, Beast, Construct, Dragon, Fiend, Insect, Plant, or Undead. For 1 point, the category must be determined ahead of time. For 4 points, the user determines the transformation type at the time the Limit Break is used, and may select multiple types. This lasts until combat ends.
    Specialized Target (1 or 5 Point Refund) One or more types of monster is unaffected by attack. For one point, choose one type of creature from the following list that is Immune to the Limit Break; Abnormal, Aerial, Amorph, Arcana, Aquan, Beast, Construct, Dragon, Fiend, Insect, Plant, or Undead.
    For a 5 point refund, ALL types of monsters are Immune to the attack except for one chosen category.
    Specialized Target cannot be taken more than once.
    Being the optimizer I am, I found this, which can essentially make any Limit Break have 4 more build points.
    I.E., couldn't you choose the 5 point Specialized Target for, say, Constructs, and the the 1 point Construct Transformation?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Being the optimizer I am, I found this, which can essentially make any Limit Break have 4 more build points.
    I.E., couldn't you choose the 5 point Specialized Target for, say, Constructs, and the the 1 point Construct Transformation?
    Throw in Self-Only for another point.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

25. - Top - End - #85

I don't think so. The target would have to be construct in order to be targeted in the first place, so the transformation would only affect things that are constructs to begin with.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-07 at 01:11 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Throw in Self-Only for another point.
    Which can be only used for benificial effects, so it wouldn't really be a free point like those four are...
    The point of my previous post is it allows 4 extra points for absolutely no side effects. In fact, if you have the construct killer property then it's actally a 4 point refund f
    See now?

Nevermind, i see now what you're saying.

I don't think so. The target would have to be construct in order to be targeted in the first place, so the transformation would only affect targets that are constructs before the effect kicks in.
    Maybe so, but we'll see what Dust has to say on this matter. I agree that this is likely correct, I'm trying to point out the Optimizer's Bread and Butter that litters the pdf whenever I find it.
    In other news:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/schmoyoho#p/u/1/TvQbkPS8zCA
    Last edited by Creed; 2010-11-07 at 01:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

I don't think so. The target would have to be construct in order to be targeted in the first place, so the transformation would only affect targets that are constructs before the effect kicks in.
    Being an android would solve that problem and save another point.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

28. - Top - End - #88

Being an android would solve that problem and save another point.
    There's a valid break. Combine Specialized Target (Construct) and Self-Only on an Android's limit break for a +5 point count. Rather limiting on what you can do (big healing amounts and/or positive status effects are really all that's there), so it's not totally broken, but still doable.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-07 at 01:16 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.

29. - Top - End - #89

There's a valid break. Combine Specialized Target (Construct) and Self-Only on an Android's limit break for a +6 point count. Rather limiting on what you can do (big healing amounts and/or positive status effects are really all that's there), so it's not totally broken, but still doable.
    Fixed that for you. Sure, it's not all that broken, but...free points. Imagine:

Healing (HP) (5), Self-Only (-1), Specialized Target (Construct Only) (-5), Status Effect (Auto-Life) (8), Status Effect (Haste) (8), Status Effect (Protect) (6), Status Effect (Shell) (6), 3 extra points

That's just an example. Modify as you see fit...it's not really fair to give that extra bonus without a penalty.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-07 at 01:38 AM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90

Fixed that for you. Sure, it's not all that broken, but...free points. Imagine:

Healing (HP) (5), Self-Only (-1), Short Range (-1), Specialized Target (Construct Only) (-5), Status Effect (Auto-Life) (8), Status Effect (Haste) (8), Status Effect (Protect) (6), Status Effect (Shell) (6), 4 extra points

That's just an example. Modify as you see fit...it's not really fair to give that extra bonus without a penalty.
    You can't combine Self Only and Short Range. But yeah, I get the point. It's easily fixed by saying Specialized Target can't be mixed with Self Only or purely beneficial effects.

Homebrewer's signature.