New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    You can't combine Self Only and Short Range. But yeah, I get the point. It's easily fixed by saying Specialized Target can't be mixed with Self Only or purely beneficial effects.
    Indeed.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

If I were GMing someone who tried that, I'd let them - and then have something change their creature type, out of spite.

Then a few sessions later tell them to change it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I dont just want to assume.

WEG D6 rules?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Only thing I'm unhappy about with this system is that it's actually quite hard to build some of the FFVII limit breaks with the limit break system (omnislash being a prime example)

I'm also confused as to why Knights of the Round is a rank 4 summon, being the most powerful attack in the game in VII
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    Only thing I'm unhappy about with this system is that it's actually quite hard to build some of the FFVII limit breaks with the limit break system (omnislash being a prime example)

I'm also confused as to why Knights of the Round is a rank 4 summon, being the most powerful attack in the game in VII
    + Stat (Str), Attack (Physical) - Affect all enemies, Attack (Physical) - Single Enemy. The rest (dozen strikes, glowing energy etc.) us just fluff. Add Stylish to taste.

Add extra Knights/damage and it becomes a level 5 summon. Easy.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #96

Started a game friday night, and one player (the power gamer), didnt like the starting with only 500 gil and lousy equipment so he decided to take synthesis Weapons and Armor and have crafted his own equipment right before the start of the game this extending making himself a tier 2 weapon and a tier 2 armor.

Then proceeded to craft a weapon for our local dragoon but failed the synthesis check, tried to see if there was any consequences to that but found none, I know the goal of this system is that the hero never fail to do something but rather having a complication pop up if they roll 1-1.

Is there any suggestion on what to do if he fail the check but not with a 1-1?
    Right now I ruled that he only wasted the day off and that a 1-1 result in actually scrapping some material.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure you waste the materials if you fail the synthesis check.

Also... why didn't you just hit him upside the head and tell him to quit trying to powergame?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Started a game friday night, and one player (the power gamer), didnt like the starting with only 500 gil and lousy equipment so he decided to take synthesis Weapons and Armor and have crafted his own equipment right before the start of the game this extending making himself a tier 2 weapon and a tier 2 armor.

Then proceeded to craft a weapon for our local dragoon but failed the synthesis check, tried to see if there was any consequences to that but found none, I know the goal of this system is that the hero never fail to do something but rather having a complication pop up if they roll 1-1.

Is there any suggestion on what to do if he fail the check but not with a 1-1?
    Right now I ruled that he only wasted the day off and that a 1-1 result in actually scrapping some material.
    If you fail a Synthesis check you lose your 50% cost in gil as penalty.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but can you simultaneously help yourself and attack enemies with a Limit Break? I keep reading stuff that gives me that impression (or I think I'm reading stuff that gives me that impression). I've been mostly making "straight" effects.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brontes View Post
    Correct me if I've got this wrong, but can you simultaneously help yourself and attack enemies with a Limit Break? I keep reading stuff that gives me that impression (or I think I'm reading stuff that gives me that impression). I've been mostly making "straight" effects.
    Yes, if you can afford a boon to our team and harm your opponents at then same time you are well within you rights to.

11. - Top - End - #101

Temotei and Creed, you guys are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    WEG D6 rules?
    Negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post

Omnislash is 15 automatic critical hits. At some point in time I need to say that even canon attacks are sometimes too 'ultimate' for this system.

As for the KoTR, for mechanical purposes, they didn't bring anything truly unique to the table. This is why Yojimbo (the 'ultimate' summon from X) made Rank 5 along with the other classics; Bahamut, Odin and Alexander.
    For fluff reasons, you'll see that KoTR only summons three Knights instead of the former thirteen, perhaps accounting for their dimished power.
    Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post

Then proceeded to craft a weapon for our local dragoon but failed the synthesis check, tried to see if there was any consequences to that but found none.
    Both answers you already recieved are correct. For reference, Page 104, right in the Synthesis section, reads:

Failing a Synthesis Check
    A failed roll indicates that the final result is unstable, unworkable, or simply poor quality. The item is no better than scrap metal, fuming liquids or spare parts. In game terms, this means that although the character(s) spent 50% of the original item’s cost to attempt to create it, they’re ultimately left with nothing – the money and item are both lost.

If this wasn't the case, there'd be nothing from stopping your power gamer - and indeed, EVERY player who valued optimization - from then saying 'Well, in my backstory, before the adventure begins, then, I make myself better armor and weapons despite my lack of skill. I just need to roll a 12 eventually; so it might take a few months (at one day per failure) but it's doable!'

Powergaming before the game even starts is generally a bad sign. I bet he's playing a Ninja.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

So, uh, Dust...

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Hm... I want to get your opinion on something, Dust.

I'm designing a "Summoner" character, and I wanted to give her a Limit Break like Yuna's 'Grand Summon' Limit Break (yes I know about the job ability Grand Summon - I just like the idea of a Limit Break that lets you summon better).

How would you price a Limit Break ability that reduces the cost to summon something by 1 destiny? (Obviously this becomes hilariously useless if you spend destiny to activate the Limit Break...)
    <.< >.>

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Being the optimizer I am, I found this, which can essentially make any Limit Break have 4 more build points.
    I.E., couldn't you choose the 5 point Specialized Target for, say, Constructs, and the the 1 point Construct Transformation?
    Here's my question:

So if I took the, say, Heavy Arm graft three times, would the enemy have to disable my arm three times to make it completely disabled?
    A completely theoretical question, but worth it I believe.
    Answers, Dust? Yes? No? Bueler? Bueler?!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

A question regarding the Stoneskin Geomancer ability. It states that:

"For every 10 hit points the Geomancer possesses (rounded down), she gains an additional permanent 1 ARM or 1 M.ARM, chosen upon taking this ability."

Does that mean that he gains a bonus to ARM/M.ARM based on his max HP when taking the ability, or does the bonus grow as the character's max HP grows?

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeve View Post
    A question regarding the Stoneskin Geomancer ability. It states that:

"For every 10 hit points the Geomancer possesses (rounded down), she gains an additional permanent 1 ARM or 1 M.ARM, chosen upon taking this ability."

Does that mean that he gains a bonus to ARM/M.ARM based on his max HP when taking the ability, or does the bonus grow as the character's max HP grows?
    The bonus grows as the HP increases. I should have been more clear. Like Tacit mentioned way back on page, uh, one of this thread (I think), Stoneskin can make Geomancers EXTREMELY burly.
    Bueler? Bueler?!
    Blatantly broken, but legal by RAW currently. I'll have to fix that as well in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Summoners!
    I'd suggest maybe you're going about that wrong. I'd probably work with a character to create a limit break that lets you Summon, and then grants your esper(s?) extra abilities (like Indestructible, Species-Killer, more hit points, access to more spells, increased damage steps, or whathaveyou.) But you'd have to work with your GM on this.

16. - Top - End - #106

Not intentionally missing replies, by the way! Sorry about that!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

The bonus grows as the HP increases. I should have been more clear. Like Tacit mentioned way back on page, uh, one of this thread (I think), Stoneskin can make Geomancers EXTREMELY burly.

Blatantly broken, but legal by RAW currently. I'll have to fix that as well in the future.

I'd suggest maybe you're going about that wrong. I'd probably work with a character to create a limit break that lets you Summon, and then grants your esper(s?) extra abilities (like Indestructible, Species-Killer, more hit points, access to more spells, increased damage steps, or whathaveyou.) But you'd have to work with your GM on this.
    Glad I could help point out a glaring exploitable weakness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

18. - Top - End - #108

Powergaming before the game even starts is generally a bad sign. I bet he's playing a Ninja.
    I'm being a nu mou ninja, which is simply sweet.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently the "higher level characters" table has Level 5 down as not getting a limit break. Oversight?

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Oversight?
    Oversight.

21. - Top - End - #111

Here are a few limit break ideas for you.

Allow Break Arts to be taken for 2 or 3 points, but the art chosen is random, like this:

{table=head]Roll|Effect
    1|None
    2|Power Break
    3|Magic Break
    4|Speed Break
    5|Armor Break
    6|Soul Break[/table]

Taking Neutralize twice removes immunities and resistances in addition to the normal effects.

Notes on limit break abilities:

You probably shouldn't be able to take Attack (Physical) and Attack (Magical) with the same limit break...or the cost of the second attack should double, then, which is the same as Multi-Attack's cost of 6 points. Choosing Multi-Attack along with both should only give one extra attack, chosen between physical and magical.

Question: Looking through the status effect section, combining mini and poison would increase the damage poison does each round to 15% (from 10%), since it doesn't specify what types of damage are increased (in other words, it says all damage is increased). Is that intentional?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-08 at 04:09 PM.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Here are a few limit break ideas for you.
    Allow Break Arts to be taken for 2 or 3 points, but the art chosen is random, like this:
    I'd be opposed to making it work that way only. Option, yes, but I'd like to be able to know what I'm going to do to the enemy. Breaking STR of a wizard is quite a disappointment for a Limit Break.

I'd be thinking the following amounts of points for the breaks:
    {table]# of breaks|Pre-chosen|Random|Any
    1|3|2|6
    2|6|5|10
    3|10|10|14
    4|15|15|17
    5|20|-|-
    [/table]

The odd increments are because at one point, random is more useful as you have a pretty high chance of hitting what you want to hit, and can be used against every enemy - unlike pre-chosen - for exactly the same reason (but won't work 100%). Any, chosen at the time of execution, always gives you the opportunity to cripple an enemy, even with just two attacks, you just choose the degree.

Also, page 55, Samurai description line 4: "(...) however, a Samurai is a versatile combatant not to be reckoned with." Doesn't make much sense. "a" should be made into "and a", and "not" should be crossed out.

Edit: does the Ikishoten Samurai ability (+1 step of damage when allies aren't around) apply during a Duel?

This is why Yojimbo (the 'ultimate' summon from X) made Rank 5 along with the other classics; Bahamut, Odin and Alexander.
    Do I just have an old version or is he actually rank 3? (and on page 77 he is mentioned as an example of a rank 3 summon)
    Last edited by Unrest; 2010-11-08 at 05:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

What annoys me about limit breaks is you can't have one that damages an enemy, and then, say, gives protect to an ally.

That's why I think there should be a limit break component that allows you to have multiple targets for your limit break. Like Versatile (2 points).

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"Not to be reckoned with" is perfectly grammatically appropriate. No mistake there.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unrest View Post
    Do I just have an old version or is he actually rank 3? (and on page 77 he is mentioned as an example of a rank 3 summon)
    I think Dust meant that's why he's not a level 5 summon.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    What annoys me about limit breaks is you can't have one that damages an enemy, and then, say, gives protect to an ally.
    Yes, you can. I apologize for not having examples.

Ikishoten applies during Duels as well.

Yojimbo is rank three. I was very, very tired and that didn't used to be the case. Ultimately, the Rank 5 summons are reserved for those summons that show up time and time again as the 'ultimates' and not game-specific mega-summons like Knights of the Round, Eden or Ark.

Back to sleep with me.

27. - Top - End - #117

I found a somewhat powerful combination that renders Death Attack obsolete. Status Effect (Zombie) + Healing (50%) does Death Attack's job for 2 points less (7 points if you go for insta-KO). You can throw in Specialized Target (cannot effect Undead) for an extra free point.

I don't see any enemies that are immune to Death effects and not Zombie or visa-versa, and if the target for Status Effect (Zombie) is immune to it, you can apply the healing portion of the limit break to yourself or your allies instead.

EDIT: However, Death Attack has one advantage; it can be combined with Drain HP (as far as I can tell).
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-08 at 07:52 PM.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Death attack is probably outclassed by just a regular physical or magical attack limit breakwith modifiers. For most enemies an attack limit break will probably do at least half of its HP. The only enemies where you'd really want a death attack are probably immune.

Edit: Found another issue in the file. Under the FFX setting, one of the plot hooks is a scholar who found out how to turn mortals into Fayth. It's never actually previously mentioned what Fayth are, so that could confuse anyone who's never played the game.
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-11-08 at 08:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Unrest View Post
    I'd be opposed to making it work that way only. Option, yes, but I'd like to be able to know what I'm going to do to the enemy. Breaking STR of a wizard is quite a disappointment for a Limit Break.

I'd be thinking the following amounts of points for the breaks:
    {table]# of breaks|Pre-chosen|Random|Any
    1|3|2|6
    2|6|5|10
    3|10|10|14
    4|15|15|17
    5|20|-|-
    [/table]
    Oi. Honestly, I don't like it. It's too complicated for the system, methinks.

Oh, and yeah, those were extra options I presented, not "do it this way" suggestions.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-09 at 12:08 AM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #120

A question, building on my previous 'exploit'. Would using Revive instead of Healing insta-KO the Zombie'd target, or would it only heal them by 1 HP? The way it works in the games would imply the former, but the wording leans to the latter for me.

If the former, add Specialized Target (No Undead) and one other refund for Area Attack and you have an instant battle ender on anything that's not a boss.

EDIT: Off the top of my head, I just thought up another Limit Break option: Augmented Abilities. Take an Ability (cost depends on if it's one the character has or not, and whether it's a Job Ability, Innate Ability, or Epic Ability. The former being cheap, and the latter being extremely expensive, possibly restricted to level 3 limit breaks and not allowing any other traits). The ability is activated when using the limit break.

For example, a Thief can combine his Steal Innate Ability with Area Effect to Steal from all enemies, or a character attempting an ability that involves rolling 2d6 can add another d6 to the roll for every (insert suitable number) points added to the cost.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-09 at 01:51 AM.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.