New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

<never mind, I'm dumb>
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-09 at 02:49 AM. Reason: General Dumbassery
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Um... I never said anything contrary to that. I just said the file talked about the Fayth without saying what they were.
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-11-09 at 02:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    Um... I never said anything contrary to that. I just said the file talked about the Fayth without saying what they were.
    ARGLEFARGLERARGLEFHSBFKHHGBVKJHGVC!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally misread what you posted
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    Off the top of my head, I just thought up another Limit Break option: Augmented Abilities. Take an Ability (cost depends on if it's one the character has or not, and whether it's a Job Ability, Innate Ability, or Epic Ability. The former being cheap, and the latter being extremely expensive, possibly restricted to level 3 limit breaks and not allowing any other traits). The ability is activated when using the limit break.

For example, a Thief can combine his Steal Innate Ability with Area Effect to Steal from all enemies, or a character attempting an ability that involves rolling 2d6 can add another d6 to the roll for every (insert suitable number) points added to the cost.
    That's way better than my Thieving ability idea. I love this.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    "Not to be reckoned with" is perfectly grammatically appropriate. No mistake there.
    Ohh... uh? I'm not a native English-user, so got that jumbled. I always thought that "reckon" means "to take into account", "be aware of" (so "not to be reckoned with" would mean "needs not be bothered with"). Well, you learn your whole life.

@Temotei: Yeah, it is too complicated. But, paraphrasing / quoting what someone on this forum had in their signature, "When in doubt, I make tables." I just thought of all the possibilities and what I thought of their power level. Because being able to use any of the breaks for just 1 point more, or not being able to use more than one break simultaneously, was... unbalanced? Odd? Can't think of a proper word. I wanted to point to a possibility.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

It's one of those weird cases, like "inflammable" and "flammable" meaning the same thing.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a question:

There are two stated ways to perform a limit break:

1) Spend 3 points of Destiny

2) Roll a critical hit at 25% or less HP(50% or less with Limit Breaker ability/Overdrive equipment)

The example of case 2) spells out "rolling a pair of sixes"(cf. page 123).

BUT....what if a Dragoon with the *Threaten* ability rolls a crit that isn't a pair of sixes?

(For reference: Reach weapons crit on 11-12. The Threaten ability lets them crit on 10-12, aka 1/6 of the time instead of the *normal* 1/36)

Can a Dragoon use limit breaks on such *lesser* crits?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aldgar: Yes. You can always pull off a Limit Break when you get a critical hit 'result' on the dice roll, even if it was caused by an Ability (Threaten or Grim Reaper for example), reroll (concealed weapons, dual-wield, a Gambler), or whatever.

Shadow: My face;

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Congratulations on finishing. :")

10. - Top - End - #130

Dayum! This is awesome!

Awesome work, hopefully I'll be able to use it sometime soon :D
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can magical and physical attack be combined in a limit break? If you take multi-attack do you get the extra attack for just one of them?

12. - Top - End - #132

Can magical and physical attack be combined in a limit break? If you take multi-attack do you get the extra attack for just one of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Here are a few limit break ideas for you.

Allow Break Arts to be taken for 2 or 3 points, but the art chosen is random, like this:

{table=head]Roll|Effect
    1|None
    2|Power Break
    3|Magic Break
    4|Speed Break
    5|Armor Break
    6|Soul Break[/table]

Taking Neutralize twice removes immunities and resistances in addition to the normal effects.

Notes on limit break abilities:

You probably shouldn't be able to take Attack (Physical) and Attack (Magical) with the same limit break...or the cost of the second attack should double, then, which is the same as Multi-Attack's cost of 6 points. Choosing Multi-Attack along with both should only give one extra attack, chosen between physical and magical.

Question: Looking through the status effect section, combining mini and poison would increase the damage poison does each round to 15% (from 10%), since it doesn't specify what types of damage are increased (in other words, it says all damage is increased). Is that intentional?
    Addressed, though not answered.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Dunno if this is why, but just noticed that White Mages get Huge weapon proficiency:
    Spoiler
    Show

I lol'd.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-09 at 05:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Shadow: My face;
    I exist only to break things.

Just out of curiosity, was that aimed at the Revive Limit Break question (which I assume means it's an instant KO?), or the 'Limit Break' idea I posted being too broken (I'd probably scrap the Epic Ability option for, since even with those limits it's pretty broken to get an Epic use every time you critical hit).

The easiest fix I can think of it to change Zombie status to a level 2 Limit Break status effect, buff the cost of Revive, and drop the cost for Death Attack.

Zombie has a lot of exploits, Reviving is a pretty powerful effect early on, and Death Attack rarely effects the enemies you would want to use it on the most (maybe bar it from being mixed with Area Effect to prevent abuse if that's what worries you).

EDIT: Found an error under Shinryu's stat block. His SPR rating is 24, but should be 14.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-09 at 06:01 PM.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Dunno if this is why, but just noticed that White Mages get Huge weapon proficiency:
    Spoiler
    Show

I lol'd.
    "I'm going to heal you now. WITH MY GIANT HAMMER!"

Reminds me of this Ukranian ceremonial weapon, called, I believe, a buluva. It's a wooden mace with pointyspikey things on it and it's a symbol for prosperity and good fortune apparently.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, I think you should be able to take both physical and magical attack. The odds are your main stat will be higher than your other. If your Strength is 10 higher than your int, the physical could be doing around 100 more points of damage, based on what level you are and how good your weapons are.

It encourages not only having one really huge stat, with the others being much smaller.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

@Dust: Does the Hume HP bonus give an actual extra 3HP every level, or does it effectively increase your class's HP bonus by 3 (so a Dragoon would have a HP of 9).

The person who mentioned it said that because the Hume entry says /level it gives 3 bonus every level. But it also says /level in the class entry, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Meteorite (Time, Rank 1) says it's a single target, but then goes on to say the damage is done to all enemies. Obviously it's a Group spell, just mentioning the mistake.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-09 at 06:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

<zombie>
    Did it work like that in FF games? I.e., was stuff like this insta-KO?

I'd say instant-KO's are bad for warfare. 'Cause there isn't any. I'd feel bad shutting down Dracula by pushing a Phoenix Down down his throat

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

It did in fact work like that in many FF games.

The undead train boss from FF6 comes to mind...
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-11-09 at 06:59 PM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

There was also an underwater zombie boss in FFX that could die that way...

Speaking of which, this is a bit off-topic, but do they ever explain why Wakka, Rikku, and Tidus can breathe underwater? I wasn't paying attention for a lot of that game.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of which, this is a bit off-topic, but do they ever explain why Wakka, Rikku, and Tidus can breathe underwater? I wasn't paying attention for a lot of that game.

"Blitzball players have to be able to hold their breath for a really long time, ya?"
    And Rikku is Rikku.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Rikku can hold her breath for such a long time because she's used to underwater salvaging.

Spirans can train to hold their breaths for a very long tmie.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have to imagine when you first get to Spira you and Rikku are underwater for hours. So it's established that they're holding their breath instead of having some sort of device that helps them breathe?

Well, that's FF for you

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Unrest View Post
    Did it work like that in FF games? I.e., was stuff like this insta-KO?

I'd say instant-KO's are bad for warfare. 'Cause there isn't any. I'd feel bad shutting down Dracula by pushing a Phoenix Down down his throat
    As stated above, yes. There are also two instances of it in FF8 (you can use a Phoenix Down to end both quickly, though the second one takes several as damage done this way is limited by the Damage Cap (9999, which the second zombie boss has twice that much of).

There's even two different bosses in FFX that use the combo on the party, both come late in the game. The first has a fairly high damage attack that inflicts Zombie, then casts Full-Life on them next turn.

The latter will inflict Zombie on the whole party and spend several turns healing the party to death (frustrating because the final phase of the battle has her use a party hitting instant KO attack that only Zombies can survive, so you either cure it in the first two phases and play with several party members vulnerable to the instant kill, or put up with a tough first two phases for an easy third phase).

Homebrewer's signature.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I personally say the instant KO effects are traditional Final Fantasy fare and should stay in the game.

Along with suplexing any enemy at all, even if it's a train.

26. - Top - End - #146

The latter will inflict Zombie on the whole party and spend several turns healing the party to death (frustrating because the final phase of the battle has her use a party hitting instant KO attack that only Zombies can survive, so you either cure it in the first two phases and play with several party members vulnerable to the instant kill, or put up with a tough first two phases for an easy third phase).
    You could always just get a death ward item. Those aren't too terribly hard to get. The deathproof ability is a bit harder to get at that point, though...

Otherwise, just cure one party member, then leave the others zombies. Or cure two and leave one. Having a uniform zombie/non-zombie party is kind of bad for that part, if I remember right.

Of course, then you have the pitiful boss fights after that and you wonder why it was so hard, then such a breeze.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You could always just get a death ward item. Those aren't too terribly hard to get. The deathproof ability is a bit harder to get at that point, though...

Otherwise, just cure one party member, then leave the others zombies. Or cure two and leave one. Having a uniform zombie/non-zombie party is kind of bad for that part, if I remember right.

Of course, then you have the pitiful boss fights after that and you wonder why it was so hard, then such a breeze.
    I could never get a hold of any Deathward/proof equipment. I never, personally, had trouble with the latter boss (though the former tripped me up a few times on my first two playthroughs, until I figured out that when he casts reflect on himself and starts casting Flare on himself, dispelling his reflect doesn't change the AI's behavior), but I heard plenty of people did.

Personally, I loved how the bosses of FFX would use the same tricks that players would use, and that difficulty came in figuring out the holes in the bosses strategies. Like how certain bosses that love to heal themselves are vulnerable to Zombie.

Really, the No Sphere Grid challenge and variants thereof are a hoot if you have the patience to grind for items/synthesis material/Overdrive.

EDIT: Another grammar mistake. In the Entertainer's Wake to Life: "Objects awakened in this way cannot participate in combat, are generally loyal to the Entertainer that created them, and are as resilient than the material they are made out of." 'Than' should be replaced a second 'as'.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-10 at 02:10 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

_________ was actually the only boss I had trouble with in that game. Of course, now that I think about it, Deathproof equipment would completely trivialize that encounter.

Lame.
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-11-10 at 02:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Sinspawn Gui was the only real stumbling block for me other then you-know-who's third appearance. Also, the name of that boss is a bit of a spoiler. Perhaps edit it out so anyone who hasn't played FFX but wants to try it someday (very narrow specification, I know) or who haven't reached that part yet aren't spoiled?

But yeah, really easy once you have that, or simply have an idea of how the battle goes beforehand. The first time through? It's an epic climax fight.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-11-10 at 02:14 AM.

Homebrewer's signature.

30. - Top - End - #150

I always thought the game was really, really easy except for the optional bosses (which I figured out not long after losing the first couple of times) in the monster arena, but I don't mind...though there were those cheap spots, like with the zombie-death combo.

Oh, and this one time, I was in a boss fight with Auron, Tidus, and Yuna. I accidentally killed both Auron and Tidus by making them attack themselves. Yeah, I'm that good.

I think that was against
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seymour Butts's second incarnation.
    Homebrew