New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    This. Doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes, but simplicity's sake.
    Dont worry about sense. The way you build the system is more like a game than a "simulation" like dungeon and dragons. (Its what I love about your system)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Dont worry about sense. The way you build the system is more like a game than a "simulation" like dungeon and dragons. (Its what I love about your system)
    I just realized how true this is!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

And I added the link to this thread in my sig. I doubt people read sigs much, but I'm happy to promote this!
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

4. - Top - End - #214

Well I for one, am a conpulsive sig reader, soo much good Homebrew is usually posted in them.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    And I added the link to this thread in my sig. I doubt people read sigs much, but I'm happy to promote this!
    I'm flattered! Also, I think you missed an 'N'
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-11-17 at 01:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Got a question about weapon properties. Why do you need negative auto and SOS status? Don't sure that somebody would actually want something with auto-poison, or SOS-zombie on it

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

That's so the GM can make 'cursed' weapons, one assumes.

Say, a weapon that comes with one good property but inflicts Auto-Berserk or something.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fearan View Post
    Got a question about weapon properties. Why do you need negative auto and SOS status? Don't sure that somebody would actually want something with auto-poison, or SOS-zombie on it
    Auto-poison would actually benefit a fighter who put a lot of points into that ability that increases your damage when you have a negative status effect.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    Auto-poison would actually benefit a fighter who put a lot of points into that ability that increases your damage when you have a negative status effect.
    I though auto-bad status effect just automatically gave enemies you hit, that status. And then auto-good status effect applies it to you?
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

That's not right at all.

Weapons that give enemies a status are something else that I don't remember the name of.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Just wanted to say very nice work Dust, the whole system has really got me jazzed about Final Fantasy again So in preparing for my game (set in FF6 with the assumption that the Crystal Chronicles world is another continent on the other side of the planet. I thought they would mesh well and I needed a little more room to stretch out then the World of Balance had) I've read through a good portion of the book probably a half dozen times. I had a few assumptions on rules that seem a little fudgy. A lot of them have been addressed, but I'll throw these out.

When building monsters, a base ACC is given, but most monsters in the bestiary have secondary attacks with lower ACC then the primary. I can see this is due to the secondary usually having more damage or a status ailment, but their isn't really a formula for it. So far imposing either a -2 or halving the base ACC for really nasty ones seems to keep new monsters in line with what you've set out, but I was wondering if you has a specific formula you used. Also, I don't remember seeing any kind of damage progression for monsters as well. Not a huge issue since I'm still making level 1 and 2 critters, and I can just use the premade monsters for reference, but it would be helpful.

I was going to ask about duel-wielding as well, but it came up a few pages ago (my dilemma was also a red mage). Since that was already covered I'll mention something else I noticed. "Like players who dual-wield, monsters with Two Weapons roll 3d6 for accuracy, and keep the best two. They also add the entire 3d6 when calculating damage instead of the standard 2d6." Taken from chapter 9 'Bestiary' pg. 213. I'm guessing duel-wield went through several revisions over the course of production and this might have just been a hold over from that, but I thought I was interesting. I am actually planning on handling duel-wield somewhat similar to this, rolling 3d6 and dropping the lowest die. I think it'll play out a little smoother, even though it'll skew things in the players favor.

Lastly, I've been giving my players the following summery of duel-wielding effects for clarity. Hopefully I've got it right. Weapon effects that trigger from an action, but without a defined number of uses (Alchemy, HP Drain, Critical Attack, etc) cannot be doubled up. Weapon effects with limited uses (Piercing, Counter, etc) can be doubled for purposes of determining the number of uses per combat/session, but not used in a single attack. Passive weapon abilities (+skill, +attribute) stack without restrictions.

Anyway, just wanted to say I really do love the system. As someone who used to do a lot of role-playing in chatrooms I can see how this could fit right in for that sort of highly-descriptive, low on technicalities style of play, and it's how I'm going to run my game (even though my players live in the same apartment, haha). Again, very nice work.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zansumkai View Post
    Passive weapon abilities (+skill, +attribute) stack without restrictions.
    Status effects probably shouldn't be able to be stacked. Make sure to note that.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

The book says stacking is up to the GM. Personally I'm against it.

14. - Top - End - #224

When building monsters, a base ACC is given, but most monsters in the bestiary have secondary attacks with lower ACC then the primary.
    My initial rule of thumb was that dangerous secondary attacks only used the monster's associated attribute, and didn't add the +0/2/3 for being a Fast, Strong or Smart monster, give or take a point of accuracy depending on how deadly the attack is. In practice, actual playtesting meant stuff just got tweaked as was needed.
    Enormously dangerous stuff or weaponless attacks usually wound up with a -4 to -6 penalty, but this, again, was mostly by feel.
    I'm guessing duel-wield went through several revisions over the course of production and this might have just been a hold over from that, but I thought I was interesting. I am actually planning on handling duel-wield somewhat similar to this, rolling 3d6 and dropping the lowest die. I think it'll play out a little smoother, even though it'll skew things in the players favor.
    You guess correctly, and thanks for pointing it out.
    I highly advise against the 3d6, drop the lowest, though. We figured that out pretty quick.
    Lastly, I've been giving my players the following summery of duel-wielding effects for clarity. Hopefully I've got it right. Weapon effects that trigger from an action, but without a defined number of uses (Alchemy, HP Drain, Critical Attack, etc) cannot be doubled up. Weapon effects with limited uses (Piercing, Counter, etc) can be doubled for purposes of determining the number of uses per combat/session, but not used in a single attack. Passive weapon abilities (+skill, +attribute) stack without restrictions.
    Basically. I like to explain it as 'when dual-wielding, none of the weapon's special powers stack, except for the Attribute/Skill Bonus. If you're using a Blade or Brawl weapon, you can also use the associated bonuses one additional time per session.'
    I'll go back and streamline this at a later date. I also have a desire to change the Improved Arsenal shared ability (and not just in name) to allow brawlers to constantly be counterattacking with fragile, improbable weapons, so maybe the change will get lumped in with that.

15. - Top - End - #225

I know you are taking a break Dust, but will you in the following month or so prepare a Final Fantasy game to be played out on the giantitp's forums?

If so then I want a spot in pretty plz!! I want to play with THE man that created the system.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    I know you are taking a break Dust, but will you in the following month or so prepare a Final Fantasy game to be played out on the giantitp's forums?

If so then I want a spot in pretty plz!! I want to play with THE man that created the system.
    Anonomuss (or if they don't then Creed) should be making a game here. Hang around and then make them a char when they do.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I highly advise against the 3d6, drop the lowest, though. We figured that out pretty quick.
    Thanks for the tip, though I think I'll have to see it in action as well. I've only got my two roommates as players, plus whatever NPCs I pair with them, so I'm actually more concerned about killing them inadvertently then giving them too many advantages.

I just wrapped my first game, which went well save for the fact not a single attack or skill roll was needed, but just kicking the dust (no pun intended) off Final Fantasy was delightful

Actually though I did recall one other thing regarding monsters. I noticed they tend to follow the same Light, Medium, Heavy armor formula that player characters do, with their average armor about 2 points lower then what a player of that level would have. Is that about right?

18. - Top - End - #228

I just realized that you can put an Auto-KO ability on a tier 2+ item.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

...Which promptly knocks you out as soon as you wield it.

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    ...Which promptly knocks you out as soon as you wield it.
    Exactly.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I can't seem to download the file from the link provided. The page just says 'processing download request'. I'm able to download other stuff from mediafire...anyone else having this trouble?

This is sad. I really want to see what all the happiness is about!

22. - Top - End - #232

Odd. Luckily, it's a small file - let me know if Megaupload works any better for you.

23. - Top - End - #233

Same glitch with mediafire as blackmage has, mediaupload says the file is temporarily unavailible... more mirrors, please?
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-11-19 at 02:34 PM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Try the Megaupload link again in a few minutes, I got the same thing, then just waited a couple minutes and tried again and it worked.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Got some questions here.
    1) Time mages do not have their own legendary artifact. Is it intentional?
    2) Freelancer+blaze of glory+switch to entertainer+entertainer legendary artifact=unlimited moments of glory?

26. - Top - End - #236

Good catches on both of those. I'll have to edit the Freelancer JA to note that it only functions if the character actually does die. Likewise, adding a Time Mage legendary accessory; no idea how I missed that.
    Last edited by Dust; 2010-11-20 at 03:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

I already pointed out the Moment of Glory thing.

Rosetta Ring says: "When you use Moment of Glory for the standard 5 destiny..."
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-11-20 at 09:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Does this combo work?

So, I have ninjutsu tool mastery, a concealed weapon.

If I choose to Throw a shuriken on the first turn, does the sneak attack property apply to the shuriken I threw? Basically, does it go from(Dex x2)+2d6 to (Dex x4)+2d6 for the first turn?

29. - Top - End - #239

The Blue Mage can only leanr spell that are casted upon himself by the monster with the exeption of the job ability Oberserve, so he can only learn Pollen froma killer bee if he have observe?

30. - Top - End - #240

The Black Market goods don't classify themselves as normal weapons, and thus don't have actual weapon categories and properties such as Concealed.

DualShadow, that is correct. Without Observe, the Blue Mage will probably only learn agressive, offensive magic.