New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    By the way, anybody remember who killed Steel Guy?
    Zexion's green lantern girl ripped his head off with her powers while he was surrendering, and there was a bit of a buzz about it for a while.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Zexion's green lantern girl ripped his head off with her powers while he was surrendering, and there was a bit of a buzz about it for a while.
    Great! That means I can make a comic involving Yelloveak, Steel Guy and Deadpool-esque textboxes* >:D

MWAHAHAHA!

HA!

*In design and in how serious their content is, they are not going to break any walls... Yet
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    *In design and in how serious their content is, they are not going to break any walls... Yet
    I just realized how little we've actually broken the fourth wall in this plot. ABR is usually (read: in FFF) containing nothing resembling a fourth wall, and yet in ABR Corps there hasn't been any wall damage that I can remember.

I made Q lean on the fourth wall a couple of times, but I don't think he's actually outright broken it yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    I just realized how little we've actually broken the fourth wall in this plot. ABR is usually (read: in FFF) containing nothing resembling a fourth wall, and yet in ABR Corps there hasn't been any wall damage that I can remember.

I made Q lean on the fourth wall a couple of times, but I don't think he's actually outright broken it yet.
    I'm still planning on doing Deathpond, so it's just a matter of time.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rae Artemi View Post
    I'm still planning on doing Deathpond, so it's just a matter of time.
    Wouldn't it be lifepond or something?

And if he doesn't know that he's a parody i'm gonna sock someonething
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Wouldn't it be lifepond or something?
    Why would it be?

We also have fantasticman, not Inframan and Arachnidude, not Flyguy.
    We have the Bulk, not the Shrivelled Remains.

Do you see where I'm getting at?

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Why would it be?

We also have fantasticman, not Inframan and Arachnidude, not Flyguy.
    We have the Bulk, not the Shrivelled Remains.

Do you see where I'm getting at?
    Does the first half of Deadpool's name have anything to do with his character? Far as i know, his superpower is breaking the fourth wall, causing anger in everyone he talks too, and rapid respiratory upset of the audience.

And Arachnadude has three As =P

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Dude.

They are not opposites of their counterparts... they are parodies. Meaning they are the same, but played for laughs.
    Deadpool = Deathpond because Death is similar to Dead and Pond is similar to pool.
    The names are similar in the same way as the characters are similar.
    This is the entire concept of the names being the way they are.

And when Threeshades adequately exemplifies this, you somehow take it to mean that we are assuming it has something to do with the character's powers.

So, to recap, names of parody characters = similar to names of actual characters.

V'icternus, clearing up misunderstandings wherever he goes.
    For the children.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Dude.

They are not opposites of their counterparts... they are parodies. Meaning they are the same, but played for laughs.
    Deadpool = Deathpond because Death is similar to Dead and Pond is similar to pool.
    The names are similar in the same way as the characters are similar.
    This is the entire concept of the names being the way they are.

And when Threeshades adequately exemplifies this, you somehow take it to mean that we are assuming it has something to do with the character's powers.

So, to recap, names of parody characters = similar to names of actual characters.

V'icternus, clearing up misunderstandings wherever he goes.
    For the children.
    I thought you said 'Deadpond' my bad.

I assumed that the names were kept similar when it had something to do with the character (not their powers specifically) but were still made different to exemplify that it was a parody.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-11-26 at 09:56 PM.

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Either way, I had a better idea for "Deathpond".

Anybody else rememeber the scene from Superman/Batman Annual where there was this guy who looked an awful lot like Deathstroke, yet had all the characteristics of Deadpool? And something happened each time before he was able to say his name?

That's what some in the business (by which I mean what some of us who visit TvTropes regularly) call a "Lawyer Friendly Cameo". We really don't need to name this guy, and we could pretend he IS Deadpool (and have the character himself make note of it as traditional Deadpool style, but never outright say the his own true name). It'd be great! Really!
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-26 at 10:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341

Anybody else rememeber the scene from Superman/Batman Annual where there was this guy who looked an awful lot like Deathstroke, yet had all the characteristics of Deadpool? And something happened each time before he was able to say his name?

That's what some in the business (by which I mean what some of us who visit TvTropes regularly) call a "Lawyer Friendly Cameo". We really don't need to name this guy, and we could pretend he IS Deadpool (and have the character himself make note of it as traditional Deadpool style, but never outright say the his own true name). It'd be great! Really!
    I don't remember it, but I read about it, on that very website you mentioned in your post there. I was just going to have him pretty much flat out acknowledge that he was a blatant parody of Deadpool, among other things, but your idea could work too.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

(Looks at recent FFF: Reboot Strips)

One question: Is Rae on Team Good, or Team Evil, as it appears in one recent FFF strip, he attacked someone on good's airship?
    Also, my next strip will be up tomorrow
    Last edited by Maxios; 2010-11-26 at 10:14 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    (Looks at recent FFF: Reboot Strips)

One question: Is Rae on Team Good, or Team Evil, as it appears in one recent FFF strip, he attacked someone on good's airship?
    Also, my next strip will be up tomorrow
    Rae's on team good. The guy he attacked was a third party who had been trying to take the key.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Can he be a lawyer?

Also: Didn't you do that with Spiderman already?

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Can he be a lawyer?

Also: Didn't you do that with Spiderman already?
    I suppose we kinda did it for all of our heroes. Or did we? >.>

I've already revealed in the second last comic I made that these heroes aren't exactly as heroic as they appear to be. Though the Deadpool copy could probably just be himself, without any of the changes to the personality we're giving to these other characters.

Also, before I forget...

Does the first half of Deadpool's name have anything to do with his character? Far as i know, his superpower is breaking the fourth wall, causing anger in everyone he talks too, and rapid respiratory upset of the audience.
    Firstly, Deadpool got his name in the Weapon X program (the same program that gave Wolverine his special skeleton), when all the other test subjects had a betting pool for who would be dead first (though in actuality it was because Deadpool was originally a rip-off of Deathstroke of Teen Titans, and the name was a joke about that).

Secondly, his powers and noteworthy abilities are:
    1. Super Healing Factor (heals REALLY quickly due to getting Wolverine's healing factor from Weapon X experiments)
    2. Super Insainity (causing him to be completely unpredictable, as well as break the fourth wall and make other hilarious jokes, non-sequiters and pop-cultre refrences. Also makes mind reading or mind control impossible)
    3. Completely immortal (due to the results of a love triangle with Death and Thanos)
    4. A teleporting device he usually has
    5. Great martial arts skills and gun skills

Other notes for those who have never read Deadpool comics: his speech boxes are yellow, as well as his caption boxes (unless they're white with courier font).
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-26 at 10:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

I never even heard of Deadpool before Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. And because of his costume, I thought he could have been one of Spider Man's clones.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347

Other notes for those who have never read Deadpool comics: his speech boxes are yellow, as well as his caption boxes (unless they're white with courier font).
    Or a whole bunch of other colors, sometimes, each with different personalities. Y'know, cause he's crazy.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

I never even heard of Deadpool before Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. And because of his costume, I thought he could have been one of Spider Man's clones.
    Well, apperently Deadpool's costume was the costume they were ORIGINALLY going to give to Spider-man (or so I hear. I think it's just ripping of Deathstroke again with Spider-man thrown in to make him more popular). He could be considered a "darker" version of Spider-man, though. Their pasts and personalities do have some similarities and many have compared them in this way.

Also, you've never heard of Deadpool before then? Strange. He's so present in the current comic industry, a lot of people say he's overexposed.

Than again, if you don't read comics, it's understandable.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-26 at 10:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, apperently Deadpool's costume was the costume they were ORIGINALLY going to give to Spider-man (or so I hear. I think it's just ripping of Deathstroke again with Spider-man thrown in to make him more popular). He could be considered a "darker" version of Spider-man, though. Their pasts and personalities due have some similarities and many have compared them in this way.

Also, you've never heard of Deadpool before then? Strange. He's so present in the current comic industry, a lot of people say he's overexposed.

Than again, if you don't read comics, it's understandable.
    I read a bunch of comics, I just never read one with Deadpool in it

Edit: I'm going to begin working on my next FFF: Reboot strip right now, so it may be up tonight. Maxios is going to tell a Team Good character why he attacked the Half-Orc. Does anyone volunteer their character?
    Last edited by Maxios; 2010-11-26 at 10:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

I read a bunch of comics
    I just never read one with Deadpool in it

Edit: I'm going to begin working on my next FFF: Reboot strip right now, so it may be up tonight
    Which is even more strange, because he has so many different series.

Deadpool (classic)*,
    Cable and Deadpool*,
    Deadpool,
    Deadpool: A Merc With A Mouth,
    Deadpool Team-Up,
    Deadpool Corps,
    Deadpool MAX,
    Deadpool Pulp*,
    Deadpool: The Circle Chase*,
    Deadpool: Sins of the Past*,
    Deadpool: Suicide Kings*
    Wade Wilson's War*,
    Hulked Out Heroes* (where he is basically the villain)
    And tons of other guest apperances in other Marvel comics.

* Miniseries or ended.

He's basically the new Wolverine (in that he's become a sure way to get people to buy the book they're trying to sell just by putting him on the cover.

Seriously. He's got more comics coming out monthly than SPIDER-MAN.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-26 at 10:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351

I loved Cable and Deadpool.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Which is even more strange, because he has so many different series.

Deadpool (classic)*,
    Cable and Deadpool*,
    Deadpool,
    Deadpool: A Merc With A Mouth,
    Deadpool Team-Up,
    Deadpool Corps,
    Deadpool MAX,
    Deadpool Pulp*,
    Deadpool: The Circle Chase*,
    Deadpool: Sins of the Past*,
    Deadpool: Suicide Kings*
    Wade Wilson's War*,
    Hulked Out Heroes* (where he is basically the villain)
    And tons of other guest apperances in other Marvel comics.

* Miniseries or ended.

He's basically the new Wolverine (in that he's become a sure way to get people to buy the book they're trying to sell just by putting him on the cover.

Seriously. He's got more comics coming out monthly than SPIDER-MAN.
    That stinks. I guess the web head isn't Marvel's juggernaut anymore.
    Which is weird, as there is a character named Juggernaut
    Last edited by Maxios; 2010-11-26 at 11:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

[EDIT]@^: Stinks? IT ROCKS! Deadpool is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    I loved Cable and Deadpool.
    So did I (though I actually haven't read much of it).

Fun fact for those not in the know: It focused more on Cable (which is why his name was first) yet in the upcoming collections they actually changed the name of the comic to "Deadpool & Cable". Because of Deadpool's popularity, obviously.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-26 at 11:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure Deadpool is awesome, but Spider Man is awesome
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

"Hey, it's me, Deadpool! I shot you! =D"

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

That stinks. I guess the web head isn't Marvel's juggernaut anymore.
    Which is weird, as there is a character named Juggernaut
    He is the single character from marvel that nearly (as in, my great-grandfather may not, since he's older than WW1) all Danes know about.

I assume he is the same among most other countries' non-comic reading population

But you are right, he is not the top selling character anymore, and hasn't been for longer than Deadpool existed. Frankly, was he ever more popular than the X-men? I'm not sure.

But fear not! He is still hilarious in anything he's in, we are just reluctant to read it because of what Marvel did to him

But we'll get over it, once the responsible have been sacrificed to Mephisto to undo it
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, it's me, Deadpool! I shot you! =D"
    "NOOOOOOOOOO! THAAAAT WAAAAAS MY FAAAAVOUURITE GUUUUUN!"
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Since everybody else has just been talking about introducing "Deathpond" instead of actually doing it, I thought I'd take the liberty and do it myself.

ABR Corps
    Spoiler
    Show

Aww, they both look so sad in the last panel.

Now I have a chance to actually have Deathpond interact with Steel Guy and Yelloveak's boxversation once I get to that comic. Hurrah!

I just hope I can work faster than snails-laughing-at-me-while-they-slither-past
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

29. - Top - End - #359

Dammit Q, I was actually making a comic right now!
    Not one with Deathpond though.
    I'm still gonna do it, just gonna put it before yours, just to give you heck with the archiving
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

30. - Top - End - #360

Q, has the ARB:C archive been updated?
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...