New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Edit: interestingly, the only real guild in the fallout world was the Slavers Guild, because it was the only one that was relatively global.
    Only one guild? Blasphemy! As soon as I get back to my PS3 I will start my own guild of People Who Should Statistically Be Dead Six Times This Month Alone!

Also, what level do we want the tech in our schizotech (Though it's more off a tent-tech situation) to be? Modern day? Renaissance? Futuristic? 1920s? Neither?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Only one guild? Blasphemy! As soon as I get back to my PS3 I will start my own guild of People Who Should Statistically Be Dead Six Times This Month Alone!

Also, what level do we want the tech in our schizotech (Though it's more off a tent-tech situation) to be? Modern day? Renaissance? Futuristic? 1920s? Neither?
    Steampunk. Like a mixture of Schizotek and Lockutas.
    And I agree, races can't stand for the character. But races are fun, too, to make and to play. As for classes....well, that's not really applicable here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblins chew and goblins bite,
    Goblins cut and goblins fight,
    Stab the dog and cut the horse,
    Goblins eat and take by force!

Chase the baby, catch the pup!
    Bonk the head to shut it up!
    Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
    We be goblins! You be food!

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Scribe
    Most people put that in their signature to show their skill at art. I put it in because the avatarists of the forum threatened to set fire to my home if it wasn't made clear.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Well, I'm pretty sure that as far as tech goes, we'd probably have mostly modern guns and makeshift melee weapons, though it's up to you guys if you'd want the odd laser in there was well. They probably wouldn't be very efficient as weapons, though, since you'd need energy to use them and there's not a lot of that.

Guns in general I'd figure would be around, but used sparingly due to conservation of ammo, so the most common weapons would probably be baseball bats, planks, crowbars, sledgehammers... maybe some crazies who fletch their own hunting bow-and-arrows. No swords or anything like that though, unless you can come up with a good reason why someone would have them (like they raided a museum or something, which is possible).

Most clothes and armour would probably be stitched patchwork, with the odd flak jacket or clothes made of hides of mutated animals. I think in general the tech is low, but still has obvious hints of a modern or post-modern society like in clothes people find and the crumbling buildings and such. People would still wear a lot of the leftover clothes like jackets and things too, especially if it was a permanent winter and they needed to keep warm.

There might be scraps of military who still managed to keep weapons and bullets in production, maybe even vehicles, but I would imagine fuel is hard to come by.

Does that work?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe we could have guilds or civ remnants which have various levels of technology?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Maybe we could have guilds or civ remnants which have various levels of technology?
    There might be scraps of military who still managed to keep weapons and bullets in production, maybe even vehicles, but I would imagine fuel is hard to come by.
    :
    As well as that, I figure there might be the odd small group with a little bit of tech, but I guarantee you it'd be hard to justify many non-military groups having anything but random tech in their possession. A building or two will probably work, but with the world being kinda destroyed and all, most things would need generators to keep power, and generators need fuel.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I'm pretty sure that as far as tech goes, we'd probably have mostly modern guns and makeshift melee weapons, though it's up to you guys if you'd want the odd laser in there was well. They probably wouldn't be very efficient as weapons, though, since you'd need energy to use them and there's not a lot of that.

Guns in general I'd figure would be around, but used sparingly due to conservation of ammo, so the most common weapons would probably be baseball bats, planks, crowbars, sledgehammers... maybe some crazies who fletch their own hunting bow-and-arrows. No swords or anything like that though, unless you can come up with a good reason why someone would have them (like they raided a museum or something, which is possible).

Most clothes and armour would probably be stitched patchwork, with the odd flak jacket or clothes made of hides of mutated animals. I think in general the tech is low, but still has obvious hints of a modern or post-modern society like in clothes people find and the crumbling buildings and such. People would still wear a lot of the leftover clothes like jackets and things too, especially if it was a permanent winter and they needed to keep warm.

Does that work?
    Well I was thinking about having my character be the raving mad conspiracy nut with a steampunk (What? Coal and wood is easier to 'acquire' than gasoline) Laboratory/Library from where some frightful souls claim lightning is created.

Does that fit in le grande scheme or is it too ridiculously out there with the jellyfish?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I was thinking about having my character be the raving mad conspiracy nut with a steampunk (What? Coal and wood is easier to 'acquire' than gasoline) Laboratory/Library from where some frightful souls claim lightning is created.

Does that fit in le grande scheme or is it too ridiculously out there with the jellyfish?
    Well, it's pretty much nothing like what I've been pitching... I mean, it's not that I want to say "NO YOU CANT DO THAT " but like, currently I'm talking about a world where pretty much the entire country is essentially a sparse scrapyard covered in snow with shanty-towns and raiders (at least, in effect it is) and you're saying you want a steam-powered laboratory that creates lightning. It's a little... out there.

Edit: Mind you, as I'm saying this, I'm alt-tabbing back into Fallout 2 and stabbing scorpions with a spear in an abandoned temple.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-11-05 at 05:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, it's pretty much nothing like what I've been pitching... I mean, it's not that I want to say "NO YOU CANT DO THAT " but like, currently I'm talking about a world where pretty much the entire country is essentially a sparse scrapyard covered in snow with shanty-towns and raiders (at least, in effect it is) and you're saying you want a steam-powered laboratory that creates lightning. It's a little... out there.
    Not really supposed to take the lightning part seriously (hence why it was frightful souls and not the much more rational crazy scavengers) but I see what you mean.

What if his greatest achievement in the technological sector consists of a light bulb powered by a steam engine? With his 'base' being little more than a makeshift forge and anvil?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really supposed to take the lightning part seriously (hence why it was frightful souls and not the much more rational crazy scavengers) but I see what you mean.

What if his greatest achievement in the technological sector consists of a light bulb powered by a steam engine? With his 'base' being little more than a makeshift forge and anvil?
    Oh, I wouldn't at all be opposed to a guy who was trying to, in effect, get technology up and running again through a series of overcomplicated and probably more-trouble-than-they're-worth inventions and doodads. That'd be kinda funny. Especially if his greatest achievement was a steam-powered machine which works through gears, pulleys, and a coal-fire that towers above him, all just to power his little shack or something.

"What are you talking about? My machines aren't 'huge piles of junk', they're amazing achievements of technology and science!"
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-11-05 at 05:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Oh, I wouldn't at all be opposed to a guy who was trying to, in effect, get technology up and running again through a series of overcomplicated and probably more-trouble-than-they're-worth inventions and doodads. That'd be kinda funny. Especially if his greatest achievement was a steam-powered machine which works through gears, pulleys, and a coal-fire that towers above him, all just to power his little shack or something.

"What are you talking about? My machines aren't 'huge piles of junk', they're amazing achievements of technology and science!"
    That is even better! I can't believe I thought of such a genius idea!

Maybe a Doc Brown-esque refrigerator, a suit of armour that serves as the tea-maker. Yes, I see potential with this idea >:)

Where he gets the coal will forever remain a mystery, though
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

That is even better! I can't believe I thought of such a genius idea!

Maybe a Doc Brown-esque refrigerator, a suit of armour that serves as the tea-maker. Yes, I see potential with this idea >:)

Where he gets the coal will forever remain a mystery, though
    I have a feeling even the nutjobs in the world would think he was a loon

Sounds like fun!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have a feeling even the nutjobs in the world would think he was a loon

Sounds like fun!
    "A loon!? I am no simple fool but a man of science and reason, but if you'll excuse me I have to get back to my peanut-butter powered spring-machine"

This will indeed be much fun
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

"A loon!? I am no simple fool but a man of science and reason, but if you'll excuse me I have to get back to my peanut-butter powered spring-machine"

This will indeed be much fun
    Can I be your bumbling goblin assistant?
    Last edited by Goblin Scribe; 2010-11-05 at 11:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Most people put that in their signature to show their skill at art. I put it in because the avatarists of the forum threatened to set fire to my home if it wasn't made clear.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"You made a giant refrigerator slash calculator with buttons too big to press! That's not amazing, that's just stupid!"

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds like the beginning of an interesting plot. My idea for a character would be a radio presenter trying to broadcast the news through the wastelands. He would have taken over small radio station, although it would have a short range. (Of course, he wouldn't know that )

Also, how did we survive the nuclear war? (or whatever other hazards happened) Would it be living in Fallout-esque vaults, or are we just lucky?
    Not currently taking avatar requests.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Scribe View Post
    Can I be your bumbling goblin assistant?
    We have goblins now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradakhan View Post
    Also, how did we survive the nuclear war? (or whatever other hazards happened) Would it be living in Fallout-esque vaults, or are we just lucky?
    "Let's just say that tinfoil has more uses than you'd think and leave it at that."

Jut kidding, I suspect that the survivors where just lucky enough to live far enough down the hitlist and lucky enough to find a safe spot (The deserts, the secret facilities beneath mount Dashmore, New Jersey) where the bombs didn't hit.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

We have goblins now?

"Let's just say that tinfoil has more uses than you'd think and leave it at that."

Jut kidding, I suspect that the survivors where just lucky enough to live far enough down the hitlist and lucky enough to find a safe spot (The deserts, the secret facilities beneath mount Dashmore, New Jersey) where the bombs didn't hit.
    I thought it was fantasy. Are we following the Fallout thing that closely?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like this idea alot - I actually think that if we made it just Human rather than all the fantasy creatures it could be much more poignent - although possibly more clichéd...

Oh look, I made a character for it - No idea about name yet or back story, but I can work on that...

Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    I like this idea alot - I actually think that if we made it just Human rather than all the fantasy creatures it could be much more poignent - although possibly more clichéd...

Oh look, I made a character for it - No idea about name yet or back story, but I can work on that...
    I rather think races can add flavour if used right. Also, I make it a point to play a goblin wherever I go, because it's my opinion goblins give something instant awesome.

And yeah, I thought it'd be cool to have a magic apocolypse. If we aren't doing fantasy in this plot, I may not participate. That's not meant as a threat to make DL go along with it, though. It's just that I have no idea how to play in a non-fantasy.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

I rather think races can add flavour if used right. Also, I make it a point to play a goblin wherever I go, because it's my opinion goblins give something instant awesome.

And yeah, I thought it'd be cool to have a magic apocolypse. If we aren't doing fantasy in this plot, I may not participate. That's not meant as a threat to make DL go along with it, though. It's just that I have no idea how to play in a non-fantasy.
    Scifi is just like fantasy, only instead of 'a wizard did it' it's 'newmetaltanium did it'

EDIT: Seriously though. I'd prefer it to be either scifi or fantasy. If i wanted everything to be realistic, i would turn off my computer and go outside.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-11-06 at 10:58 AM.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I thought it was fantasy. Are we following the Fallout thing that closely?
    I don't think it was specifically Fallout based when this conversation took place

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we already decided the basic idea of the setting, at least if people would be into a Nuclear Winter setting which focusses on most of the people in the world having gone at least a little kooky from surviving in the post-apocalyptic tundra.

Plus, I don't really want magic and stuff because I'd rather we have at least one non-fantasy plot, and I don't think we ever restricted people to DnD classes anyways. As far as 'races', I'd say normal human races and maybe allow some leeway for mutants.
    I'd also say we set this in a world similar to earth but not earth, or at least never specify where anything is or anything about the world before the nukes.
    The answers to all of them were no, though. I'm asking if they should be yes, if that makes the sensiness.
    I've already covered the answers. I've given the very bare idea, now it needs to be expanded upon. I always believe that groups and characters should be characterized beyond 'classes' and 'races' (hence why I typically frown upon setting which are fantasy kitchen sinks when it comes to races).
    Kinda makes me wonder if my reading of every single post is overdoing it.

Especially since I do it for about ten FFRPGs as well...
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-11-06 at 01:48 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to try and make an intro comic or two just to set the scene so we can expand further, but you have no idea how hard it is to avoid starting with "War. War never changes."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm going to try and make an intro comic or two just to set the scene so we can expand further, but you have no idea how hard it is to avoid starting with "War. War never changes."
    What about a season analogy?

"Winter always come. you can pretend that summer lasts forever but in the end, the old fades away and the earth will be bare of life"

Or some other quasi-poetic nonsense to make the fact that we screwed up big time sound better
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

What about a season analogy?

"Winter always come. you can pretend that summer lasts forever but in the end, the old fades away and the earth will be bare of life"

Or some other quasi-poetic nonsense to make the fact that we screwed up big time sound better
    Every day, the sun rises. Every night, it falls.

Every morning, the sky turns bright.

The darkness returns each and every night.

They say it still rises far in the sky...

But we have not seen through these years of unrest.

Since our now-eternal winter said good-bye,

There is naught but cold darkness.

That's quasi-poetic =D it even rhymes a line or two!
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-11-06 at 03:22 PM.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, no, I never said I was having trouble coming up with a narrative. I was just having to avoid starting with the Fallout line we all love so much.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, no, I never said I was having trouble coming up with a narrative. I was just having to avoid starting with the Fallout line we all love so much.
    I don't =( i never played fallout. Starting to wish i had so i had a better idea what you were talking about beyond 'nuclear winter'.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-11-06 at 03:54 PM.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I don't =( i never played fallout. Starting to wish i had so i had a better idea what you were talking about beyond 'nuclear winter'.
    And I've played Fallout 3, exactly once. I do know when it takes place, what the timeline differences are and why the giant naked mole rats make perfect sense. I like reading up on old games, amazes me how creative they were back then.

And now my quest continues to find more stuff to make people who actually played these games feel old!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't call a game series released five years after my birth 'Old' when I'm only going to be 18 this month.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I wouldn't call a game series released five years after my birth 'Old' when I'm only going to be 18 this month.
    Well, I was joking but I actually would call a game made five years after my birth 'Old' (capital letter and all )

But why is that a bad thing? 'Old' stuff is still around for a reason, it's very good old stuff :D

And just so I don't forget: Congratulations! Does that mean you can do exactly one more thing that you don't need more than last year?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay guys, here's the SUPAR SERIOUS INTRO. Though obviously each character will have their own level of serious, the world takes ITSELF seriously at least.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll post it in the thread soon.

Edit: Huh. Three hours to make that? Really?
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-11-06 at 05:08 PM.