New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

well the whole setting is planned on being a futureistic metropolis super city caught in a state of anarchial civil war because the government fears that mages could destroy what they view as a perfect world (which caused them to set up the Faceless to eliminate the threat) which didnt sit to well with the mages... or anyone else... i mean a group of trained killers that are above the law using the highest tech weaponary.
    The thing thats stopping the mages from creating all the tech they need... is supplys.
    Because governments are corrupt, they dish out all the REALLY high tech stuff to their own and the normal people have basically scrap and salvage.
    Also the idea behind the mage's tech is that it is just scrap and salvage, admittedly scrap and salvage that works, but still scrap and salvage.
    If you can figure out how to make a sound proof suit from random junk in a war torn megacity good on ya, but I doubt the mages who are really no one special, just normal people who have to hide because of some random coding in their DNA, they probabbly don't have the know how.
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fay Graydon View Post
    well the whole setting is planned on being a futureistic metropolis super city caught in a state of anarchial civil war because the government fears that mages could destroy what they view as a perfect world (which caused them to set up the Faceless to eliminate the threat) which didnt sit to well with the mages... or anyone else... i mean a group of trained killers that are above the law using the highest tech weaponary.
    The thing thats stopping the mages from creating all the tech they need... is supplys.
    Because governments are corrupt, they dish out all the REALLY high tech stuff to their own and the normal people have basically scrap and salvage.
    Also the idea behind the mage's tech is that it is just scrap and salvage, admittedly scrap and salvage that works, but still scrap and salvage.
    If you can figure out how to make a sound proof suit from random junk in a war torn megacity good on ya, but I doubt the mages who are really no one special, just normal people who have to hide because of some random coding in their DNA, they probabbly don't have the know how.
    I figured out that much, but you should realize that sound proof suits are clearly not as high-tech as magic amplifiers. It just doesnt make sense to have plenty of supplies for MADs but not nearly enough for vital lower-tech tools that would make you immune to the only weakness you have....

Just pointing out easy to abuse flaws in your plot
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2011-02-13 at 10:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    I figured out that much, but you should realize that sound proof suits are clearly not as high-tech as magic amplifiers. It just doesnt make sense to have plenty of supplies for MADs but not nearly enough for vital lower-tech tools that would make you immune to the only weakness you have....

Just pointing out easy to abuse flaws in your plot
    Well thats why I havn't yet started the plot, I'm still fine tuning it.
    I just figured that a Gifted person with a MAD would be pretty powerful even if they only have one magical ability, and seing as they would need to consentrate I figured that the best way to beat one would be to break said consentration so I thought.
    "Hmmm I high pitched frequency would do that..."
    also I have a basic example of what a MAD might look like:

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about a plot with no planning at all? Just throwing caution to the wind and seeing what happens? I could dig a plot like that.
    Last edited by FlashRah; 2011-02-14 at 09:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Quote Originally Posted by FlashRah View Post
    How about a plot with no planning at all? Just throwing caution to the wind and seeing what happens? I could dig a plot like that.
    That's how the first few plots started, but definitely a good idea. ^_^

Reminds me, I need to draw a comic.

I had almost finished one by last Saturday but the file got corrupted so... ^_^'
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-02-14 at 09:59 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #906

Are we really planning plots in advance? Sure, we tried it before....but those planned out plots usually died very soon....
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

Er, I apologise if it's a stupid idea but for peoples who might feel like drawing but don't have any particulary idea on what to do, would there be anyone interested in returning to the root of what's ABr is suposed to be and somme actual simple avatar royal battling ?
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

8. - Top - End - #908
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right I'll start a plotless comic and see how it goes from there.

Wish me luck!

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Er, I apologise if it's a stupid idea but for peoples who might feel like drawing but don't have any particulary idea on what to do, would there be anyone interested in returning to the root of what's ABr is suposed to be and somme actual simple avatar royal battling ?
    By returning to the root of avatar royal battling, you mean "Random kills" as we call them? You know, drawing your avi killing someones else avi? Yeah, we still have that open for anyone who feels like drawing but don't have any particular idea

Right I'll start a plotless comic and see how it goes from there.

Wish me luck!
    That's how the best plots start, go for it....though I'm bit worried that if everyone starts their own plots, there might not be enough active players with time and energy to post into every single one of them....it happened once....
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #910
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    That's how the first few plots started, but definitely a good idea. ^_^

Reminds me, I need to draw a comic.

I had almost finished one by last Saturday but the file got corrupted so... ^_^'
    A plotless plot?
    Like, we all create characters, drop them into Avbaroy, and try to work something out? Present times, probably. If something develops, it develops. Maybe it could be like the early times of FFF, with tons of subplots and suchwhat.

Or maybe a plot about three fairly minor but formidable nations that oppose UNA rule. Underground races, maybe. Tunnels are fairly easy to draw. Ooh! Maybe kobolds (crippled by the Shades), svirfneblin and...Cave Landfish!*

It'd eventually end in them losing, of course, but it could be a fun downtime sort of thing. The main reason the nations don't fall, of course, is because they're underground, and mainly afterthoughts. This plot would prob'by be within the 15 years.

Oops. I just accidentally came up with a plot (albeit a short one)while trying to brainstorm ideas for a plotless plot. Sorry, I've no self-control.
    *As morlocks are to humans, these creatures are to Landfish. Also, just kidding. Probably.

FAKE EDIT: My movement from plotless to plotfull makes much more sense if you're me. I'd envisioned the plotless comic being something like downtime between the 15 years, and then I came up with the above idea. Apologies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblins chew and goblins bite,
    Goblins cut and goblins fight,
    Stab the dog and cut the horse,
    Goblins eat and take by force!

Chase the baby, catch the pup!
    Bonk the head to shut it up!
    Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
    We be goblins! You be food!

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Scribe
    Most people put that in their signature to show their skill at art. I put it in because the avatarists of the forum threatened to set fire to my home if it wasn't made clear.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Scribe View Post
    A plotless plot?
    Like, we all create characters, drop them into Avbaroy, and try to work something out? Present times, probably. If something develops, it develops. Maybe it could be like the early times of FFF, with tons of subplots and suchwhat.

Or maybe a plot about three fairly minor but formidable nations that oppose UNA rule. Underground races, maybe. Tunnels are fairly easy to draw. Ooh! Maybe kobolds (crippled by the Shades), svirfneblin and...Cave Landfish!*

It'd eventually end in them losing, of course, but it could be a fun downtime sort of thing. The main reason the nations don't fall, of course, is because they're underground, and mainly afterthoughts. This plot would prob'by be within the 15 years.

Oops. I just accidentally came up with a plot (albeit a short one)while trying to brainstorm ideas for a plotless plot. Sorry, I've no self-control.
    *As morlocks are to humans, these creatures are to Landfish. Also, just kidding. Probably.

FAKE EDIT: My movement from plotless to plotfull makes much more sense if you're me. I'd envisioned the plotless comic being something like downtime between the 15 years, and then I came up with the above idea. Apologies.
    Well, you can't actually have a continouing story without a plot, even if it changes every panel it would still have a plot for the individual panel. Wouldn't it?

Also, I think the kobolds are actually fairly big for a culture that has had barely anything to do with any plot. They have the nation that was down-trodden by the Moonelf empire and the exiled Goldunscael island from which Keveak originates (Is on the wiki and one or two comics, would be relevant in roughly three comics had FI continued) so a plot about them and similar cultures actually sounds pretty neat. ^_^

Yay! We have so many greta things going on now! Drawing a comic while drawing other stuff and doing homework will be tough but I will participate in this! I WILL! *Determined*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #912

A plotless plot?
    We already tried to make a plot where we planned to not plan anything ahead, but it didn't work out well, so now we don't plan on not planning anymore and we're planning comics as we go, making completely unplanned developments in the process of planning....

That sounds fairly railroaded if you ask me....expected outcomes doesn't work very well....
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2011-02-14 at 12:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913
    Dwarf in the Playground

After a certain mysterious race which you guys will never guess, kobolds are my favorite race.
    I'm thinking that the kobolds have excellence defenses, and great numbers, but when they were enslaved by the New Moon Elf Empire, some of their most powerful fortifications were destroyed.

Meanwhile, svirfneblin could have massive tunnel networks, and be extremely isolated. Maybe they also have a strong druidic element, though few of the druids are very powerful.

I'm working on my kobold template now.

/\ Yeah, but I figured you guys would prefer all resistance be gone by the time FI starts. Otherwise, it could mean confusion for those currently working on the comics.
    Last edited by Goblin Scribe; 2011-02-14 at 12:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Most people put that in their signature to show their skill at art. I put it in because the avatarists of the forum threatened to set fire to my home if it wasn't made clear.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

/\ Yeah, but I figured you guys would prefer all resistance be gone by the time FI starts. Otherwise, it could mean confusion for those currently working on the comics.
    FP and FI's main conflict is with a resistance group >.>
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

After a certain mysterious race which you guys will never guess, kobolds are my favorite race.
    I'm thinking that the kobolds have excellence defenses, and great numbers, but when they were enslaved by the New Moon Elf Empire, some of their most powerful fortifications were destroyed.

Meanwhile, svirfneblin could have massive tunnel networks, and be extremely isolated. Maybe they also have a strong druidic element, though few of the druids are very powerful.

I'm working on my kobold template now.

If you make this take place in Avbaroy then remember that there is a kobold island just reappearing after many hundred years of exile, their representative to the other nations being Keveak. It will have kobold samurai.

Who, of course, completely ignored any political logic and just joined the resistance and let the UNA be damned.

Which also answer you "/\" semi question, nope. They are around and in both resistance and UNA ranks. ^_^
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

*points at Fat Fish Fury*

Im not planning it out, I'm planning out background info.
    The idea of the plot is basically Anarkistic War so it will have no story execpt what characters want to do!
    All there will be is the basic:
    "Faceless want to kill Mages"
    "Mages want to live"
    "Techanists want to make money building tech, me it MADs or Guns or whatever"
    "Gangers wanna gang!"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm...so it's fairly open-ended. Could go both ways.
    I was thinking it would take place in Avbaroy. It's about the UNA's conquering of the Underdark.
    Or, at least, the Sort-of-Below-Dark.

I drew my idea of the kobold king. I'm having his hands glow so they can be seen. In-comic, he's casting a spell. Feel free to criticize.

A word on the shoes: My idea of kobolds is that bright colors are considered very exotic, and are extremely expensive. That explains the color. They're shaped weird because they're made of cloth and a substance similar to pumice, with the goal of making very little sound in the echoic tunnels (did I use that word right?).

I'm thinking they're custom wear in the Underdark, to help avoid the many bizarre predators. I'm sure there are a ton of problems with the design, though.
    Last edited by Goblin Scribe; 2011-02-14 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #918
    Barbarian in the Playground

I dunno if it's necessarily a matter of making something plotless, but just making it freeform enough that anyone can work their own ideas into the plot without feeling like their intruding or whatever. Obviously that ability to just throw whatever you like into the blender would lessen as the story starts to develop and grow, but that's just the way it goes.

FFF: R was sort of like that, but at the same time I think just being a reboot of FFF was kind of stifling in its own way. And, kinda like Skimmer said, I think actively trying to prevent planning might not have been the best way to go about making it freeform.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this really. Does any of that make sense?
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

19. - Top - End - #919

I'm actually in favour of just having some Random kills building upon each other.

If anyone wants to RK Grlump, feel free. I'll retaliate and we can see where it goes from there...
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

20. - Top - End - #920
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanterns!"

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    I dunno if it's necessarily a matter of making something plotless, but just making it freeform enough that anyone can work their own ideas into the plot without feeling like their intruding or whatever. Obviously that ability to just throw whatever you like into the blender would lessen as the story starts to develop and grow, but that's just the way it goes.

FFF: R was sort of like that, but at the same time I think just being a reboot of FFF was kind of stifling in its own way. And, kinda like Skimmer said, I think actively trying to prevent planning might not have been the best way to go about making it freeform.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this really. Does any of that make sense?
    I think I get what you're saying. A completely blank slate. Just start comicking, and let whoever do whatever.

Oh, and sorry, HT. I meant, I thought the ALF was supposed to be the only form of resistance. But I see it can still work now.
    *Makes first comic*
    Oh my goodness! I'm doing, like, a comic thingy!

*Wakes up*
    *Sees five edits in one day*
    *Removes*
    I was bored last night....and tired. Sorry about that.

So, what's going on in FFFR?
    Last edited by Goblin Scribe; 2011-02-16 at 11:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

FFFR:
    Spoiler
    Show

Alternate version of the seventh panel:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: And battle is joined!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternate panel had me laughing tears. Just beautiful.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2011-02-16 at 01:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Alternate panel had me laughing tears. Just beautiful.
    Coming from you, that's a massive compliment.
    To prevent a swelled ego, I'm going to try and draw the airship.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still kinda lacking on enough time to make comics purely for ABR, but I figured I'd drop by and offer a list of some of the interesting things Lying has accomplished in his near-seven centuries of living.
    1. Survived the genocide of Arcania
    2. Organised a global resistance front (The Exersus Resistance)
    3. Made a deal with an archdevil (Levistus)
    4. Raised two adopted daughters with his best friend (Maeter and Tala Minoblendy)
    5. Completed his education and study of magic to Archmage level, with continuous study going on throughout his life
    6. Developed the Exafts superweapon spell
    7. Organised the dismantling of the Moon Elf Empire (Battle of the Palace)
    8. Managed an underground global peacekeeping force for five centuries (Exersus)
    9. Travelled to other planets (Namely, Jannah)
    10. Encountered the Sovice gods in a (semi-)peaceful circumstance
    11. Assisted significantly in the destruction of an overdeity
    12. Opened a portal to the Plane of Incarnum
    In almost seven hundred years of living, most creatures manage to go one of three ways: Evil by madness or megalomania, Indifferent by boredom or experiences of futility, or Good by perspective.

Lying started out as a young boy angry and devastated at the loss of his country, and became one of the most potent forces for good Avbaroy has ever seen by embodying its ideals.

So in seven centuries, I think he's done pretty well.

(9, 10, and 11 transpired in the same brief period of time, by the way, and he mostly kept it distracted whilst held prisoner)
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2011-02-16 at 07:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Dwarf in the Playground

I take it you have a backstory comic.

So, I've posted the start of the new plot. It's--
    AAAAH! NO! PUT DOWN THE AXE!
    *After an amusing chase scene*
    --It's focusing on the UNA conquest of the Underdark(or attempt thereof), as I said. If anybody is interested in entering (I think Keveak expressed interest), don't feel like I have any sort of authority. Because before now you guys were all, like, bowing down to me.

THAT WAS SELF-MOCKERY! PUT THE AXE BACK DOWN!
    *Another amusing chase scene*
    Anyways, what I mean is that if you feel like defining any one of the cultures--including the still-unnamed kobold nation--don't feel like you're messing up the plot. I know no more than anybody else here, and probably less. Plus, I lack the artistic skill to get any of my ideas across very well.

Oh, by the way. I'm thinking that svirfneblin, kobolds and cave flying landfish (or maybe flying cavefish?)are the three races. This is not any sort of final word. Besides kobolds, nothing's official. There may even be more than three main races involved.

Except no drow.

KIDDING! PUT DOWN THE DOUBLE SCIMITARS!
    *Slightly repetitive chase scene*

I seem to be getting rather long-winded. I'm taking five paragraphs to say this: Do whatever you like with the plot. Besides what the first comics establish, nothing is yet canon.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #925

HalfOrcPirate

So, I've gotten back into Inkscape again. I've done a few school projects using OOTS figures, so, if y'all will permit me, I think I might start asking question about OOTS art here again.
    And then, possibly, post a comic. Maybe. Probably not.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    I'm still kinda lacking on enough time to make comics purely for ABR, but I figured I'd drop by and offer a list of some of the interesting things Lying has accomplished in his near-seven centuries of living.
    1. Survived the genocide of Arcania
    2. Organised a global resistance front (The Exersus Resistance)
    3. Made a deal with an archdevil (Levistus)
    4. Raised two adopted daughters with his best friend (Maeter and Tala Minoblendy)
    5. Completed his education and study of magic to Archmage level, with continuous study going on throughout his life
    6. Developed the Exafts superweapon spell
    7. Organised the dismantling of the Moon Elf Empire (Battle of the Palace)
    8. Managed an underground global peacekeeping force for five centuries (Exersus)
    9. Travelled to other planets (Namely, Jannah)
    10. Encountered the Sovice gods in a (semi-)peaceful circumstance
    11. Assisted significantly in the destruction of an overdeity
    12. Opened a portal to the Plane of Incarnum
    In almost seven hundred years of living, most creatures manage to go one of three ways: Evil by madness or megalomania, Indifferent by boredom or experiences of futility, or Good by perspective.

Lying started out as a young boy angry and devastated at the loss of his country, and became one of the most potent forces for good Avbaroy has ever seen by embodying its ideals.

So in seven centuries, I think he's done pretty well.

(9, 10, and 11 transpired in the same brief period of time, by the way, and he mostly kept it distracted whilst held prisoner)
    ooooooo! My turn =D

Ketham:

1. Survived a witchhunt
    2. Became an officer in Tisilira (a drow undercity)
    3. First male in history to go above the rank of Lt. in said undercity
    4. Successfully lied about his age to his own mother
    5. Made an Elder vampire (in terms of power, anyway.)
    6. Cast magic missile at the darkness. And hit.
    7. Made a deal with celestials
    8. Got in a punch-up with Lex Luthor
    9. Became the subject of a bet between said celestials
    10. Became a Lich
    11. Became a Lichborne

wait a minute, did any of that actually happen? D=

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #927
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ha! I'd make a similar list, but it'd depend on who is listing: Grayscale or myself. Grayscale is convinced he has, for instance, prevented at least five wars and saved the world twice by pulling the strings. In reality, a lot of his 'achievements' are ones he'd rather not be ascribed to him.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Joke aside, he's actually done all of those except 4, 6 and 8.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

Is it wrong that I think Fay's avatar is sexy?
    ____

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Is it wrong that I think Fay's avatar is sexy?
    A naked man wearing nothing but a rose with the second creepiest pair of eyes on the entire page is NOT sexy.

Extended Sig