New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Not to bring anybody down, but I have an overwhelming feeling this post-nuke story isn't going to last long.

That being said, I think I'm going to try and join it anyway if I can find the time (time enough to make two comics, since I also intend on continuing ABR Corps). It could be interesting. T'was thinking of having alternate universe versions of the Qs. Realistic versions.

Quin Redd, a space program major and his best friend and roomate Quinn Grene, a civilian bodybuilder and ex-electrician. Both of whom used to be quite wealthy individuals but are now trying to survive as best they can with all of their possessions destroyed or stolen. While Quinn Grene tries to remain positive during this crisis, Quin Redd's personality (and perhaps sainity) is very noticably taking a heavy toll.

These versions of the Qs will probably be a less "jokey" as well. I might post pictures of them later, too.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-07 at 09:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    Fair enough... I guess.
    While I do agree with Skimmy and Brigthie Boy*, I don't think you should give up hope yet.

There'll be the perfect plot for stichies someday, or you can make your own glorious story! :D

I really need to draw some comics, I really do.

But first I need to find some shiny stuff to distract me with

*Silly nicknames!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIV - "Go Go Power Lanters!"

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    I've made a start on something for this, still not 100% certain on details (such as character name and why he's stuck out in a cave) but I'll get there eventually:

Spoiler
    Show
    -snip-

How long after the nuclear holocaust are we setting it? A few years or a few centuries?
    I would make it an unspecified number between 20-40 years after the "Big Thunder" as people tend to die in a single century....

Edit: is it just me, or is his head too big?
    I've never seen a head that would be "too big" in oots....

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Not to bring anybody down, but I have an overwhelming feeling this post-nuke story isn't going to last long.
    Experience says so....then again, those currently dead plots were fun while they lasted, no?

That being said, I think I'm going to try and join it anyway if I can find the time (time enough to make two comics, since I also intend on continuing ABR Corps). It could be interesting. T'was thinking of having alternate universe versions of the Qs. Realistic versions.

Quin Redd, a space program major and his best friend and roomate Quinn Grene, a civilian bodybuilder and ex-electrician. Both of whom used to be quite wealthy individuals but are now trying to survive as best they can with all of their possessions destroyed or stolen. While Quinn Grene tries to remain positive during this crisis, Quin Redd's personality (and perhaps sainity) is very noticably taking a heavy toll.
    Pure awesome

These versions of the Qs will probably be a less "jokey" as well.
    I hope not....
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2010-11-08 at 10:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

See, that's all well and good, and I'm glad everyone's having fun thinking of ideas - but we still need a goal for the plot so I can try and make the first comic to set things off! After that we can be well on our way!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

If you throw something in space, the thing still flies, you just also move depending on how your threw it.

Just saying
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    If you throw something in space, the thing still flies, you just also move depending on how your threw it.

Just saying
    ... What?

Completely spaced out but rereading the last couple of posts brought me no answer to what SPACE! has to do with anything.

Unless it's a metaphor, in which case I still have no idea what it means.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    ... What?

Completely spaced out but rereading the last couple of posts brought me no answer to what SPACE! has to do with anything.

Unless it's a metaphor, in which case I still have no idea what it means.
    Look at the last comic Grlump made, then read it again....
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Darklord Bright, if I may ask, how did you make the snow falling texture? It looks interesting and I am curious. While I can guess, I can also ask, so here I am, doing just that.

Anyway, I have more so been looking at the ABR thread with pictures, and only recently read through a bit of the discussion thread again as I saw a new one being made again. (Sheesh, XXXIV, while the one with the pictures is only at VIII, haha.) But hey, if you do need a goal for the plot, you could go with something cliché like "we heard a message of people needing help, who in turn were looking for warmer land and heard about it, being somewhere far off.." Or another bunker of supplies or something.

Edit: Also, why not put the picture you have on the ABR picture thread too? Would be nice.. because it can get easily lost in here.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2010-11-08 at 04:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

ABR:C
    Something Something Physics

Spoiler
    Show

-snip-

Hope it doesn't seem too soon for me to destroy a character, but if it is, hopefully this semi-cannon comic will apease you

Spoiler
    Show
    -snip-
    Too soon to destroy a character? No. Don't worry about that. You're comic is valid and accepted as canon, as all ABRC comics will be.

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    Experience says so....then again, those currently dead plots were fun while they lasted, no?
    Yeah. I actually believe that realism and ABR don't really mix well. I'm willing to give it a try, but I dubt it'll last long before people get too scared their ideas will be seen as stupid. But that's just my prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    I hope not....
    Well, I don't plan for them to be completely serious. They're still Qs. But I will see if I can expand my horizons and write characters who are going through serious struggles and try to handle them as best they can. They will seem a lot more serious than their mainsteam counterparts, but they'll have their funny moments, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Just saying
    Who cares? Laws of physics suck and are jerks. They owe my 40 dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    See, that's all well and good, and I'm glad everyone's having fun thinking of ideas - but we still need a goal for the plot so I can try and make the first comic to set things off! After that we can be well on our way!
    My recommendation is to allow the members of the plot, making the characters, come to the goal themselves. I think that might make people more attached to completing the goal if they help come up with it. The start should just be something simple to set things up.

FFF I think is a great example. It started off as a floating fish trying to get laid. Then that girl he was hitting on tries to take over the world. Than somebody else introduces the Sovices and so on and so fourth, building ideas on top of ideas until it's a pretty epic plot.

Only thing wrong with this idea is that it leads to a lot of side plots. But I think that may be part of the fun.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-08 at 03:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by I
    Okay, so this camp, they find a patch where there are some plants growing. And that's really, really rare, and hardly seen before in these quantities. As the area begins to slowly get greener, though, a bunch of Bad Guys, who have control over the only other such patch, grow concerned the world is recovering. This means they'll lose their monopoly, and with it all their power. So they decide the patch, where a small group is forming, has to go.
    No good, or did you just miss it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblins chew and goblins bite,
    Goblins cut and goblins fight,
    Stab the dog and cut the horse,
    Goblins eat and take by force!

Chase the baby, catch the pup!
    Bonk the head to shut it up!
    Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
    We be goblins! You be food!

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Scribe
    Most people put that in their signature to show their skill at art. I put it in because the avatarists of the forum threatened to set fire to my home if it wasn't made clear.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, I've designed my character for F³. (I think that's the title we're going with ) I tried to draw suspenders, but it turned out more like lederhosen

My recommendation is to allow the members of the plot, making the characters, come to the goal themselves. I think that might make people more attached to completing the goal if they help come up with it. The start should just be something simple to set things up.
    This is probably the simplest idea, although we'd still have to think of how to start it off, possibly several groups fighting over supplies, land, or the last sources of power. Or it could simply be people trying trying to start a life in this new world, and stumbling over... something
    Last edited by Bradakhan; 2010-11-08 at 05:24 PM.
    Not currently taking avatar requests.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno, I was thinking of calling it "Endless Winter/EW" because it really isn't related to FFF, but the only other "endless winter"s I can find are ski-related.

Also, as soon as we've got a title, I'm officially posting the intro and my first comic.

13. - Top - End - #163

I dunno, I was thinking of calling it "Endless Winter/EW" because it really isn't related to FFF, but the only other "endless winter"s I can find are ski-related.

Also, as soon as we've got a title, I'm officially posting the intro and my first comic.
    I like Endless Winter, but I also like F3, but which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

Spoiler
    Show

But no, seriously Endless Winter implies a bleak, forbidding world while F3 implies a parody of Fallout...
    Last edited by GrlumpTheElder; 2010-11-08 at 07:37 PM.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Endless Winter, but I also like F3, but which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

But no, seriously Endless Winter implies a bleak, forbidding world while F3 implies a parody of Fallout...
    F3 also implies correlation to FFF, which it doesn't have.

15. - Top - End - #165

F3 also implies correlation to FFF, which it doesn't have.
    Then my vote is definatly for EW
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

My prediction? A whole bunch of people are going to interpret this latest plot as a "darker and edgier" plot and introduce their characters by randomly killing people unprovoked.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-11-08 at 09:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

My prediction? A whole bunch of people are going to interpret this latest plot as a "darker and edgier" plot and introduce their characters by randomly killing people unprovoked.
    So rather than making a whole bunch of pessimistic predictions, why not go ahead and prove yourself wrong?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

So rather than making a whole bunch of pessimistic predictions, why not go ahead and prove yourself wrong?
    I WAS GONNA DO THAT! What do think I am, a hypocrite?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I WAS GONNA DO THAT! What do think I am, a hypocrite?

I shall be happy to receive your contributions!

To be fair, my character isn't actually serious. He's a bit of a mixture of Jayne Cobb, Francis from Left 4 Dead, and my own designs.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bradakhan View Post

Ok, I've designed my character for F³. (I think that's the title we're going with ) I tried to draw suspenders, but it turned out more like lederhosen

This is probably the simplest idea, although we'd still have to think of how to start it off, possibly several groups fighting over supplies, land, or the last sources of power. Or it could simply be people trying trying to start a life in this new world, and stumbling over... something
    Yet my character still has an endless suply of coal and wood for his inventions

I really need to come up with aname for this guy... But first i need to actually draw him.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Yet my character still has an endless suply of coal and wood for his inventions

I really need to come up with aname for this guy... But first i need to actually draw him.
    Mark. Mark is a nice name. Or Jasper. Or maybe Audio, if you want a name of pure technological awesome.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

So EW is humans only, not even crazy mutants, right?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

From what I, a completely impartial third party viewer, can tell, yes.

After all, you should never need to play a race to play a character.

And as for mutations, you'd need to be exposed to radiation for that.
    And that's fairly deadly even in small doses. On the scale to actually mutate you? Radiation poisoning. Or instant death as your more complicated organs boil and fail, and then-
    Well, you get the idea. Almost certain death for the possibility of a mutation that will probably just be a hideous bulge. That will also kill you.

Depending on how realistic we're treating Radiation, of course.

If we're treating it as a bit less... super-deadly, then I'd suggest only very minor, non-useful mutations. Otherwise everyone will want one!
    Which is kind of not the point of mutation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    From what I, a completely impartial third party viewer, can tell, yes.

After all, you should never need to play a race to play a character.

And as for mutations, you'd need to be exposed to radiation for that.
    And that's fairly deadly even in small doses. On the scale to actually mutate you? Radiation poisoning. Or instant death as your more complicated organs boil and fail, and then-
    Well, you get the idea. Almost certain death for the possibility of a mutation that will probably just be a hideous bulge. That will also kill you.

Depending on how realistic we're treating Radiation, of course.

If we're treating it as a bit less... super-deadly, then I'd suggest only very minor, non-useful mutations. Otherwise everyone will want one!
    Which is kind of not the point of mutation.
    People dont mutate from being exposed to radiation. Generally you don't mutate at any point in your life after birth. That's not how mutation works. Mutation is a change in the DNA that differentiates an individual from the parents. So radiation-based mutation comes from previous generations being exposed to radiation. With multiple generations having suffered corruption to their genome you can eventually end up with some sort of hideous little goblin creature. It's massively unlikely but not impossible.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, alright. I assume we were talking about specifically radiation-caused mutation after birth, hence the whole "yeah, you'd die" thing I had going there. (I'm looking at you, Spiderman!)

Anyway! Hideously deformed mutant goblin creature would be...

Quickly killed, I'd imagine.

And if one person gets to play mutant goblinoid, then the doors fly open for all the one-in-a-gazillion-billion chance life forms that people are bound to want to play with, and we'd end up with something representing a mutant fashion show instead of a comic.

If, and I do stress the if, we really need some sort of horrible mutated monster thing, I would suggest we have only one.
    And that it be an NPC, obviously.

Because shooting someone else's character in the face for being ugly isn't likely to garner friendship and hugs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Spiderman is not a mutant. Because if you change after birth that would be a metamorphosis. The teenage "mutant" ninja turtles should actually be called teenage metamorphic vaguely defined martial technique turtles. They're awesome nonetheless

Okay then no hideous little gremlin mutant for me. I guess a human will do.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

If you like, it can be a short, ugly human.
    I imagine there will be no short supply of those.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Yes. Spiderman is not a mutant. Because if you change after birth that would be a metamorphosis. The teenage "mutant" ninja turtles should actually be called teenage metamorphic vaguely defined martial technique turtles. They're awesome nonetheless

Okay then no hideous little gremlin mutant for me. I guess a human will do.
    Are you sure the word can't mean more than one thing? I was pretty sure that cells mutate quite often (otherwise we wouldn't develop new traits no matter what since we would have only what our ancestors had, considering my hair colour appeared out of nowhere a good deal of millenia ago I sincerely doubt it ) and that metamorphosis was basically puberty but faster and with a fancier name.

But I might be wrong
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

For that, a phosphodiester bond between pentose and the nitrogen base would need to be cut. It's a condensation reaction so it's not as weak as the hydrogen bonds joining bases.
    Then, the cell would probably not split itself enough to compete with the original's genome, or to even make any effect at all. And it wouldn't be passed onto the bloodline.

I'm guessing.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-11-09 at 02:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay....what if my character is a hideous little man. Radiation during birth mutated his face, so his mouth is very, very wide. So in a lot of respects, he resembles goblins, especially because he's not very book smart and has a bad grasp on speech.

Is that okay? He could also be inbred.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblins chew and goblins bite,
    Goblins cut and goblins fight,
    Stab the dog and cut the horse,
    Goblins eat and take by force!

Chase the baby, catch the pup!
    Bonk the head to shut it up!
    Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
    We be goblins! You be food!

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Scribe
    Most people put that in their signature to show their skill at art. I put it in because the avatarists of the forum threatened to set fire to my home if it wasn't made clear.