New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [FL] Fantasy Lynching Out of Character: Blood alone turns the Wheels of History

Huh. I'm suddenly very happy to be where I am.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [FL] Fantasy Lynching Out of Character: Blood alone turns the Wheels of History

You should be.

According to Bob, "It's the goddamn Jews!". What does that mean? I have no idea. But apparently it's the goddamn Jews.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest
    Executor - for a Vs. thread, you have laid out the case for this confrontation very intelligently - bravo!
    he is like the demigod of vs. threads
    They can take our lives... but they'll never take our AWESOME!!!

Awarded EvilElitest the Trophy for winning the internet.

Alumnus of the Sauron vs Voldemort thread
    <ASVSVA>

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. Well, there's one born every minute.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, maybe I'm overthinking this, maybe I'm being stupid. But, I feel like I have to get this off my chest.

*breaths deeply*

AAARGH!! DRAGON PHYSICS!! HOW DO THEY WORK?!

*huff-puff*

No, I'm not talking about how they're capable of flying and breathing fire and all that. I'm just talking about what they can do with that flight. Plus, I'm not actually asking anything, just trying to be funny.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest? haven't a hint of a clue. I jsut describe something i like the sound of, and let the other person fill in the blanks. Same principle as writing. Your imagination will always make it better then the author ever could.

Hey, have you considered taking a third character? Both your current characters, while very fun, are a bit too tied to their own subplots to be involved in the main one. And we really need a character to represent both the works of mister Tolkien, and the elves that aren't evil scumbags.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-25 at 12:45 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Orc in the Playground

Huh...you know, I did toy with the concept of a third character, but I didn't really delve too deeply into that.

As for the elven characters...well, again, my lack of knowledge rears its ugly head. Perhaps Galadriel, or even Elrond?

Also, thank you for the complements.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    As for the elven characters...well, again, my lack of knowledge rears its ugly head. Perhaps Galadriel, or even Elrond?
    They'd both be great (Elrond slightly easier to work in, perhaps). I can see them arriving at the head of an army, and saying that, although they may be fading they have not abandonded this world or forgotten the race of men. Hell, do something like the movie did.

Or, if you find playing that sort of character a hassle (and trust me, it can be hard) try Glorfindel (if you'd rather martial abilities and awesome to offering guidance (though he's wise as well, so whatever)) or, if you want to show off, characters from the Simarillion returning in another incarnation.
    Like Fingolfin, for example. Subject of the best Tolkien based art for a good reason. But not Feanor. He's far too much trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-25 at 01:08 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pity I missed the Neighbor discussion, lovely story about the fact that I live where the high school kids get dropped off, so I get to hear them argue. And almost break out into a fight that involved some lovely bricks, pipes, and a knife or two. Charming children, I assure you.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

So. Let's cast our gaze back to this. It would help me immensely.

Forsaken:
    Presented here without canon-welding.
    Also, keep in mind that physical appearence isn't important, these can just be said to be their origonal bodies, which have since been replaced by whatever was appropriate. Given the condition we see the first two Forsaken introduced in, this shouldn't actually be all that surprising that they look less then sweet.
    Also keep in mind as while they are qute a bit more powerful then the Forsaken, they are also (strange as it may seem) quite a bit more insane. However, their insanity is a strictly regulated, well applied and forceful insanity, that actually makes them stronger as it keeps them single-minded and focussed. They are also much harder to kill. I mean really, they all put Rasputin to shame. Soulcatcher walks around without her head at one point, and Limper is just a head in his final appearence (and still dangerous)

We have:
    The Dominator: Ishmael (Which is actually a very good match. He most powerful and evil sorcerer in the world, very nearly a god. A very large, powerfully built, handsome man with burning eyes. Some records indicate he may have used the name Erin Nofather. He married Lady to run his kingdom (he was more interested in being evil then running things (and yes, it makes sense in context)), and has become obsessed with the idea he was a cyclic, reincarnating force of evil. Now, the Dominator is more like the other Forsaken then Moridan's nihlism, but he was also said to be quite charming, and Ishmael suffers rages. So maybe he's a nihlist with the power of a god who tends to over-react and break things)

The Lady: Lanfear (another good match, at least mostly. Beautiful, black haired, fine-boned and all the rest, even wears white (name of Dorotea Senjack). Not evil so much as without empathy, and loves power. A lot. Married Dominator not totaly under duress, but hated him too. She just liked the opportunities it gave her, and his power. She managed to escape the entombment early by seducing a channeler in his dreams (this would be some time before the Trolloc wars), and didn't set Ishmael free, instead taking over and running his kingdom in his place, where she did a very good job actually, precisely because of her evilness. In fact, her people defend her from rebels (and it's awesome). Ultimately is stilled (she regains her power in an... unconventional way) and, no longer able to run her kingdom, leaves with the Black Company. Eventually marries Croaker, it's annalist, after what is actually a very well done romance. She's pragmatic, inteligent, and still dangerous because of the things she knows about magic, demons, and all the rest. She's also an excellent teacher, prime mannipulator and strategist, immensely handy with a sword (do you know how her enemies beat her? They throw men at her until she's smothered under the weight of their bodies) and has ideas that beat Tavi's in making war dangerous. For example: Mass producing Ter'Angreals that are essentiall wands of fireball, and arming the entire company with them).

Soulcatcher: No match. (Lady's insane, younger sister, who looks almost exactly like her. The word capracious doesn't do her justice, she's utterly off the deep end. Has about a hundred voices off both genders, one for every mood. She argues with herself. Previously Dominator's mistress. And works best as a wildcard, i.e, no affiliation to the shadow beyond the fact that she acts like a textbook case of mad with power Forsaken).

Shapeshifter: Unknown (An enormous shambling man in crumbling scarlet robes with an incredibly long, matted beard. He carries an unusual staff resembling a completely perfect, incredibly elongated nude woman. He specializes in transformation magic, himself or others. Fairly decent by the standards of his companions, but still evil.)

Bonegnasher: Aginor (He's eight feet tall and six hundred pounds of muscle, with a mouth like a crocodile. Allegedly, he ate his enemies. He also breeds people for traits, creates monsters, and all the rest. And he's smart, not just muscle. He loves experimenting.)

The Howler: Unknown (A small figure completely swathed in cloth and rags. His trademark is an earsplitting howl which he apparently cannot control and which he is compelled to do frequently, due to some physical ailment that he has never been able to deal with, despite a lot of research and wasted energy. Is easily one of the most powerful, and one of the most dangerous. he's also smart, and not particularly ambitious. He's happy to be worshipped as a god by a primitive swamp people, for example, rather then take over a major city. He's also very powerful. He mannaged to keep Soulcatcher blocked for four hours, while flying them both through a storm, and was (medically speaking) dead for two of them (he got better due to some fancy magic by an ally).)

Stormbringer: Unknown (She has a diminutive physical appearance, and she wears a mask of some kind. Her specialty is weather magic; and she is prone to solving her problems with violence.)

The Faceless Man: Moghedien (Never seen, works in the shadows, spies everywhere, hates direct confrontation)

The Limper: Unknown (physically unimpressive, a relatively small man dressed in brown with a limp. Despite Limper's evident magical prowess, he is not that clever and is frequently outmaneuvered. He is, however, incredibly driven, and in the end he is utterly consumed by a burning desire for revenge on all those who did him wrong. Words fail how single minded he is. He's like a force of nature powered by spite. he doesn't understand other people even a little, and likes to be involved in intrigue and polotics, although he's very bad at it.)

Moonbiter: Graendal (Good match, except Moonbiter is a little less overt and discrete about it, and a lot more prone to violence.)

Nightcrawler: Unknown (Their best general, and obsessed with war and military action. Has very well trained, well drilled soldiers.)

The Hanged: Semirhage (Specializes in healing magic. Female. Says all it needs to.)
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-26 at 01:31 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Pixie in the Playground

NO!!!!!

NOONE IZ BETTAR Crazy Planner Den Tavi!
    Last edited by Colesign; 2011-05-26 at 12:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

You haven't read the books. You can't be expected to understand. But crazy plan is exactly what she doesn't do. That's more Croaker's schtick (later, after the old Company all died and he becomes Captain).
    She's methodical, and careful, and while she makes it up as she has a very different methodology to Tavi.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-26 at 12:42 PM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Pixie in the Playground

Twas Joking, Cracklord! Twas merely a wry jest.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Pixie in the Playground

I've read Book One and a bit of Book Two of the Black Company. I've read enough about the Lady to see her Chessmaster skills.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Good choice, if I might say so. Sorry for all of the spoilers, in that case. Though this version is reasnobly far enough from canon that it shouldn't be doing too much.

How are you liking the series so far (finally got another fantasy fan who's reading it, sweet).
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-27 at 02:39 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Orc in the Playground

They'd both be great (Elrond slightly easier to work in, perhaps). I can see them arriving at the head of an army, and saying that, although they may be fading they have not abandonded this world or forgotten the race of men. Hell, do something like the movie did.

Or, if you find playing that sort of character a hassle (and trust me, it can be hard) try Glorfindel (if you'd rather martial abilities and awesome to offering guidance (though he's wise as well, so whatever)) or, if you want to show off, characters from the Simarillion returning in another incarnation.
    Like Fingolfin, for example. Subject of the best Tolkien based art for a good reason. But not Feanor. He's far too much trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay...yes, yes I agree that looks awesome.

Here's my thoughts on the characters (at least the ones you mentioned).

Galadriel: Pretty good. A bit odd, in my opinion, but still good. Her powers aren't very elaborated on, though, so there's that.

Elrond: Similar problem to Galadriel. Powers aren't that well defined, plus the whole being a half-elf thing might tick a few of the other elves off.

Glorfindel: I can just barely remember this guy. Other than that, he looks...holy crap he killed a Balrog. Major bonus points right there.

Fingolfin: Looks awesome, and would probably go with him if I hadn't just heard of this guy like, right now. So yeah.

Feanor: Yeah, from what the wiki tells me, he's a jerk. Can create world changing artifacts, but he's a jerk.

So, there's where I'm at right now. Right now, I'm leaning a bit towards Glorfindel, but basically that's where I'm at right now.
    Last edited by InyutheBeatIs; 2011-05-26 at 09:21 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

Well here are my thoughts. Enjoy them.

Glorfindel: I can just barely remember this guy. Other than that, he looks...holy crap he killed a Balrog. Major bonus points right there.
    Basically? Arwen's part in the first movie. Except the Nazgul were running from him. In Terror. And yes, he did kill a Balrog. In a manner that was very clearly not a fluke. Because he's a pretty cool guy.
    'There were none on Middle-Earth who could surpass this elf-lord in both skill and wisdom.' So not only incredible with combat abilities (yes, he's very much superhuman) but also very wise, and very learned in lore. He probably doesn’t have much in the way of magic, bar the fact that, as an Elf-lord he severely weakens creatures of the shadow with his presence, and keep in mind that lack of magic is in no way a handicap when it comes to this tier of characters. It just means rather then his awesome mannifesting as a flaming tornado the size of a plannet, his awesome mannifests in jumping through said tornado with only a few whisps of smoke to show from it and cutting it's summoner in half.
    Just write him as though you’re writing Thor or whatever, epic, larger then life actions. If he wants to leap ten feet in the air and do a triple summersault or whatever, it’s not just possible, it’s expected of him.

Galadriel: Pretty good. A bit odd, in my opinion, but still good. Her powers aren't very elaborated on, though, so there's that.
    I suggested Galadriel was hard, because the forest elves (i.e. the only elves we see in Eragon) fall far from the Tolkien benchmark. Not even in the running. So I assumed that they’re the ones who never sailed west and therefore lost all contact with Valinor. Hence they degenerate into what we see in Eragon, and explaining all the damn pastiche elements, such as loving the sea for no thematic reason.
    As to her, there is future-sight that I have all of once mannaged to do in a satisfying way, power over the Earth (sort of the style of magic that Gaborn's showing off) and seeing into the hearts of people, that sort of thing. She makes a very good Deus Ex machina sort of character, like what Draxx is doing with the Warrior in Jet and Gold.

QUOTE=InyutheBeatIs;11076909]Elrond: Similar problem to Galadriel. Powers aren't that well defined, plus the whole being a half-elf thing might tick a few of the other elves off.[/quote]

Now Elrond would be a lot easier. Half-Elven he might be, but notice he's the one telling Glorfindel what to do, not the other way around. He makes for a good sage character (think the mentor of whatever group), and his powers are mostly in the manner of preservation and restoration, particularly healing and countering the effects of outright evil abilities (though he doesn’t have a ring anymore). Also, some sort of power over the landscape, in a manner simmilar to Furies (Horses on the Ford).
    He’s a member of the White Council, which means he’s got about Istarii level magic, and he’s an excellent warrior (or was. But he still knows his way around a sword) and he has the position to be the logical choice for a leader of High Elves returning from Valinor to fight the shadow.
    So if you include him he makes for a very powerful character, but also one caught up in above human struggles. He's not just fighting a battle, he's fighting the entire war.

Fingolfin: Looks awesome, and would probably go with him if I hadn't just heard of this guy like, right now. So yeah.
    Fingolfin was a minor character in the Simirillion. When Feanor died, he then does something so awesome it’s the one scene in the book anyone who reads it can be assured of remembering. He rides to the gates of Angbad ALONE, in such a fury that none of the bad guys dared to get close, and some of them mistook him for Orome. A god. Yeah.
    He then blows his horn and challenges Morgoth to a duel. And Morgoth was to Sauron what Sauron was to Gandalf. He loses valiantly, what with Morgoth being the most powerful god and all, but somehow that only makes it all the better.
    So yeah.

Feanor: Yeah, from what the wiki tells me, he's a jerk. Can create world changing artifacts, but he's a jerk.
    Can’t say fairer then that. He’s an *******, but very powerful. And his knowledge of making was far greater then Saurons, or any of the gods he could have destroyed the One Ring with a twist of his fingers. And he'd betray his own people, even murdering them, for the sake of his goals and his ego.
    He makes a great Shakesperian style tragic hero. And has incredible potential. But he's also very hard to do justice, and re-arriving would cause serious problems to the setting.

------

Anyway, those are the best elves to ever live. Some honourable mentions go to Earendil the Mariner, who has a flying ship, and somehow killed Ancalagon The Black, and of course, Gil-Galad, last High King of the Elves.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-27 at 09:52 PM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So much plot advancement... So little time

I'm joining the Army Reserves and starting university in September, so it's a busy time of the year, BUT I still want to do this too, because I love roleplaying.

Agh, why can't we have a 30 hour day?
    Executor - for a Vs. thread, you have laid out the case for this confrontation very intelligently - bravo!

<ASVSVA>

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    So much plot advancement... So little time
    Alright then. If you do want to start again, we'll havre to work something out.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'll think about it.

However, I WILL keep reading the thread. Loving the story so far, you guys are all doing a great job.

<ASVSVA>

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. It's a lot of fun for me, anyway.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been enjoying this game too.

And in response to your question, Cracklord: I read the First Book several years back, read part of the second a few months ago, but haven't finished that one yet. I got bogged down around the time it was revealed that the Creepy Castle and it's Corpse Merchants were actually a means of resurrecting Mr. BDSM.

Otherwise, the only other source of Black Company content I've experienced is Bungie's "Myth: the Fallen Lords" series: that video game series drew a lot from Black Company.

Except maybe the Molotov throwing Dwarfs.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Well, I can complement you on that, then. The first is my favorite, in many ways, although they all have much to be said of them.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, I thought that the elves were going to be in the forest. Now that I know that they're coming from Valinor, that makes sense.

Okay, so I'm pretty sure I've made my decision. Unless anyone has any objections, I'm actually going to go with two characters. Glorfindel and Elrond. So, here are the character sheets.

Elrond:
    Spoiler
    Show

+ A member of the White Council.
    + An ability with magic just short of that of the Istarii.
    + Some of his magic manifests in control of the landscape.
    + He is skilled in the arts of preservation, restoration, and countering the effects of outright evil.
    +/- He is an excellent warrior. However, he is far from his prime after almost an age of peace.

Glorfindel:
    Spoiler
    Show

Left: Ecthelion. Right: Glorfindel.

+ His status as an Elf-lord gives him some innate magical power against some creatures of Shadow, severly weakening them.
    + Superhuman physical abilities.
    + Wise and learned in the lore of the world.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Sweet. Any preferences where I put you with these new arrivals?
    And sorry about the stagnation of Wander, I just need a way to set him against Maleficent without being too obvious.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

25. - Top - End - #835

And sorry about the stagnation of Wander, I just need a way to set him against Maleficent without being too obvious.
    BWAHAHAHA!!

Hmm... I brought out a sweet side in Maleficent.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

26. - Top - End - #836
    Orc in the Playground

Well, not really no.

Stagnation? I didn't realise there was much of a stagnation in Wander's case except possibly on my end, and that was just because I didn't want to post until Elrond and co. are introduced so I could get all of that out of the way at once.

As for Wander and the Knights' journey to meeting Maleficent...I sense wacky hijinks ahead.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, there will be.

As for Elrond and Glorfindel, I'll have them meet Gandalf and depart Valinor on awesome ships as soon as I can write an introduction worthy. Should be in about five or six hours, when I get home.

And as for Stagnation, the plots on hold until Doliest and Industrious start regular posting again.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-05-30 at 12:42 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

28. - Top - End - #838

And FINALS ARE OVER FOR WHAT WAS LEFT! My normal courses ended a few weeks ago, but I still had some other courses that needed handling. Now, all the work for them has been handled. I have no summer courses, meaning that, aside from job hunting, I'm free. FREEDOM! Which means, back to summer posting schedule. Scary thing, my summer posting schedule.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Pixie in the Playground

Just finished celebrating a righteous Memorial Day party: as the centerpiece event, after eating, we head down to the local park and shoot Water Balloons at each other with a sling-shot style launcher. Some people try to catch them, some dodge, some try to shoot water balloons across to the street, and all have a good time.

...I'm not sure what the connotation of this practice is, concerning the holiday it's held on.

30. - Top - End - #840

So, let's see, just to get my bearings straight:

Tass(Team Good, but not particularly involved): Tasslehoff is traveling with Tanis towards an incrediably terrifying and dangerous looking Tower likely containing horrific magics and immense danger, because it's better than dying in a desert of heat, starvation, and/or dehydration.

Kitaria(Team Evil; Varden): Kitaria is working on building her powerbase by conquering a major city for the Varden, and likely setting it up as her base of operations. At the same time, she's ensuring her power in the new 'court' by getting close to Eragon, likely in more ways than one.

Lord Soth(Wild Card, Technically Varden): Soth has no major goal and isn't sure if he will still even serve Kitaria. If he decides not to, he commands a small but powerful force and has knowledge of times long gone by, but is ultimately more in a position to tip a balanced scale than to radically alter things.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar