New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [FL] Fantasy Lynching Out of Character: Blood alone turns the Wheels of History

Alright. I had a plan for Lazlo, where he'd split up and find out that Galbatorix is still alive, but I think I'll drop that, as clearly he wants to hang with the others.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [FL] Fantasy Lynching Out of Character: Blood alone turns the Wheels of History

Just finished episode 7 of A Game of Thrones.

...amazing. And I really regret not playing Allecia better when interacting with the Lannisters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

They are much more interesting characters then they initially appear.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Alright. I had a plan for Lazlo, where he'd split up and find out that Galbatorix is still alive, but I think I'll drop that, as clearly he wants to hang with the others.
    Oh, I'm so sorry Cracklord. I didn't know. I was just having Lazlo act in character. I mean he is in a strange land with no idea where he is and only a vague idea of what is going on. Deferring to someone with more experience and a better scope of the land just seemed like common sense to Lazlo.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Oh, I'm so sorry Cracklord. I didn't know. I was just having Lazlo act in character. I mean he is in a strange land with no idea where he is and only a vague idea of what is going on. Deferring to someone with more experience and a better scope of the land just seemed like common sense to Lazlo.
    Nah, it's fine. Don't worry about it.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Orc in the Playground

Hey guys. I wanted to stop by and explain my lack of activity lately. I'm moving, so I'll be on and off sporadically for the next week or so. I'm sorry I keep doing this to you guys.
    Last edited by InyutheBeatIs; 2011-07-05 at 01:06 AM.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry about my recent dearth of posting. I finally have a job for the summer (yay!) but it means that my free time isn't what it used to be.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry about it. Just post when you can.

I think I'll write a bit more history about Gaborn and the Alerans, because that exchange gives me an idea.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Pixie in the Playground

I've actually found the canon-welding of Orden teaching the Lost Roman Legion that became Alera Fury-Crafting to be very fascinating: in the Codex, there's several references to the past of Alera (Caesar, Romanic Arts, the People of the Sun, but less so how they gained their power over the Furies.

Interested in seeing what you do.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, my plan is that the Alerans are the survivors of the Courts of the Tide that fled Rofehaven in the second age after Gaborn won the war with the Reavers, as even bigger things were waking up. Gaborn had fallen asleep and the city was destroyed, so the soldiers were put in charge, under general Tacticus. They went on to found Alera. Meanwhile, Gaborn slumbered, two ages pass, and the rest of the continent goes on to become the Mallazan Empire. More on that if you ever get there.
    So the powers of the elements always choose champions, like Gaborn, or Melisandre, or whatever, but for some reason, the Alerans have lost all memory of runecrafting. How runes work is essentially rather then focus constantly on a desired result, you do it for a moment, create a rune, and then the furies keep it up automatically as long as the rune remain.
    Furthermore, because none of them actually enter compacts with the spirits, like the next echelon of shamans do, they can use all of them, but they only gain a few of the powers, as the elements are worried they'll reveal their secrets to the other elements (they are perpetually at war with each other).

As for what the Reavers are, imagine a giant crab, twelve feet tall or so, crossed with a termite and made out of crystal, with the intelligence of a scholar, who can learn everything a dead reaver knew by consuming it's brain, and have no supply shortage in terms of resources, or reliance on a single individual. Now imagine they have wizards and you don't, and that they outnumber you twenty to one, and you have the basics of the war. The basics. Fortunately, most of them aren't malevolent, at least towards us, as they don't much like life on the surface anyway.

As for the people of the Sun, they are the Lizardmen. They're almost wiped out, and the remainder, having no slaan to direct them (bar Kroak, who is dead), have turned to shadow and work for the palanthians.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-07-10 at 10:25 PM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Pixie in the Playground

Interesting...

Well, the Reapers make the Vord look like whinny little Zerg Knock-offs...

...which they are, but I like the conceit of an intelligent scholar race with lots of wizards...that are also giant crabs.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

Said intelligence is complex. They write using scents, for example, and communicate the same way. They have no eyes, and require different chemical compositions to survive then humans, including copious amounts of sulphur. So as you can imagine, they don't perceive the world in a manner that we can understand, and the segments written from their perspective are kinda... off.
    They have a caste system, though not in a bad way as no caste is considered any lower then any other caste. They have wayfarers, whose job is to know about ten thousand square miles of underground, they have diggers and mages and all the rest, and they have a well structured and well contained society. And they have forcibles, though only their leaders are allowed to use them.
    Now that I mention it, they might actually even take your side, if you can get to them before Ishamael does. Here's what they look like.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-07-11 at 08:50 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Pixie in the Playground

Sweet.

Someone'll have to inform Tavi and Rand about these fellows first.

Gaborn Val Orden, I'm guessing.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Found a video showing the forging of the Rings of Power. Thought you might enjoy it.link
    Last edited by industrious; 2011-07-12 at 08:32 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Could you post that link again?
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Pixie in the Playground

Heh. Deathstalker is such a sleazy **** of a fantasy hero

Say, Cracklord: I like how I'm playing Tavi in the main and switching between different characters to give them their own extra special vignettes (Araris, Varg, etc.)

Can I bring in a new non-Aleran character, and see how long it takes for him to die?

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure. Depending on the character, of course. I'm having fun with the setting, it's only fair that you do as well.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Pixie in the Playground

I figure, with the DM's permission of course, it is time Tavi got some real training. Gaborn can give it to him, although Tavi won't like what he learns, I imagine.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Pixie in the Playground

Molto Benee, Cracklord. I do think you will also enjoy interacting with this Character in you capacity as a GM

Spoiler
    Show

Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king...

•The land of Shinovar, protected from the continent of Roshar's frequent tropical storms by a mountain range, is a strange backwards country: grass does not withdraw into crevices during storms, there is a strange substance called 'soil', strawberries, horses, and grain thrive, and it is Farmers, not Warriors, who are the highest ranked members of society.

•In fact, Warriors are regarded as the lowliest of people in Shin society: any who pick up a weapon must forsake their own family and become Truthless, condemned to obey all orders to the best of their abilities, no matter their content, from he/she who holds their Oathstone, save an order to kill themselves.

•Szeth is one of these Truthless, for reasons known only to him. And God have mercy on his wretched soul, he is Death incarnate in battle...

Spoiler
    Show
    I want to have his abilities be a surprise, hence the double spoiler:

He is a potent martial artist, even without his mystical abilities.

He possesses a Shardblade, a blade he can summon to himself in ten heartbeats. Anything non-living gets cut through like soft butter, and it cuts the souls of living things. It can only really be blocked by matter infused with energy.

He is also a Surgebinder: he can 'inhale' ambient magical energy into himself as 'Stormlight', and use it to manipulate gravity in highly destructive ways.

Last edited by Colesign; 2011-07-13 at 05:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

You're on. Said land is to the far North of Alagesia. And yes, thee is a reason for that. It's behind the forests of Du Weldenvarden. Do you have an introduction planned, or should I take care of it?
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Pixie in the Playground

I figured that I'd bring in Szeth with him sitting on the side of a road, his Oathstone lying in front of him, passively waiting around.

Whoever gets to him first and picks up his Oathstone gets to command him, whether said master be good or bad.

In the book he's from, after assassinating the King, he gets traded between lackluster masters who see him as merely a person willing to do unpleasant tasks, then falls into the hand of an ambitious mob boss, then into the hands of a monstrous, monstrous Chessmaster who sends him on a trail of slaughter that gradually erodes his sanity.

Flip a coin, I say. Heads for good guys coming across him, tails for evil guys coming across him.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we have several options. We have Wander, who has lost all his companions, we have Allecia and Pellew, who are collecting quite a group of misfits themselves, and we have Tyrion Lannister (so it should be like his most recent master, 'cept (until the most recent book) Tyrion was a lot more moral).

And we have a couple of NPC's who would really scare the hell out of him.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Pixie in the Playground

Surprise me.
    Last edited by Colesign; 2011-07-13 at 09:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll see what I can do.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Pixie in the Playground

Unless you have a different idea, I'll post my introduction.

And see who poor Szeth runs into.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, well, well.

Looks like Szeth's going to be Tyrion's Assassin/Bodyguard in White.

This'll...be interesting.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Pixie in the Playground

There are a few things Conan hates. Slaves are definitely one of them, up there with hypocritical, effete civilized men (particularly politicians) who look down on him (which is why it would be hilarious if he ever met D'Averc), and poisoners.
    Last edited by Draxx; 2011-07-17 at 12:42 AM.
    'C'est la vie' - Such is life.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Pixie in the Playground

...This'll be fun.

Szeth views himself as irrevocably tainted by his violence, unworthy of happiness or freedom. This is partially innate self-loathing and partially the deeply ingrained value system of his culture.

Warriors are obviously the lowest and most despicable members of society. Farmers add. Warriors subtract.

Conan of course, sees things differently.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Pixie in the Playground

The way he sees it is that it's a big, dangerous world that's trying to kill you, and you have to do what you have to in order to survive. He doesn't care about society, because he doesn't want to be part of it.

Simple, perhaps, but he's surprisingly intellectual.
    'C'est la vie' - Such is life.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Pixie in the Playground

Last edited by Colesign; 2011-07-20 at 01:04 AM.