New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Lords of Creation: In Character

Quarland, Riverworld

Quarland's eyes lit up with anticipation. " Well, until then, I'll spread word to others. This is going to be fun!" With a flash of darkness, he dissipates.

Quarland, Audience Hall, Imperial Palace

Smelling the sweet scent of political intrigue and potential violence, Quarland teleports into the Empress' palace to watch the proceedings. He tries to stay as unseen as he can, but is unsure of his success.

Alek, Aura, The Bare Waste

The Bare Waste.
    That was what they called this place now.
    Never had a more fitting name been made.
    The Bare Waste was a wasteland, scarred by divine magic in the earlier wars. No trees or plants would grow. No animals could survive there.
    And yet this was the battlefield. The troops of House En'Quios, over one million strong, faced the combined strength of the Coalition. One million verses three. For the first time since he began his crusade, he felt nervous, unsure. Surely the cost of unity was not this high. Even if he won this battle, would it be worth it? He berated himself for his blasphemy. Of course it was worth it, such was the teaching of Quarland. The strong would survive and thrive.
    His daughter, Vikierna, approached him from behind. " The Coalition's forces approach.", she said quietly.
    Alek sighed. So be it. He drew his sword, white bone shining. "Prepare to charge." he ordered.
    The army responded. Regiments formed. War songs were sung. Troops moved into positions. Crossbows reloaded and clicked. Alek moved to the head of the wedge. Raising his bone sword high, he gestured forward.
    The ground shook. Pebbles dislodged with the clamor. Both sides advanced with the steady, slow march of unwanted destiny. Whatever the result, Alek's crusade ended here and now.
    The two armies closed the gap.
    Last edited by apocalypsePast2; 2010-11-17 at 01:06 AM.
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Immortas-The Void

hearing the mental call for someone Immortas appeared before the new god.

Hello Brother, I see our Father, The Opposer is hard at work churning out new gods. You seek information about the other gods unless your thoughts lie?
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Saeric & Immortas - The Void

Giving this newcomer a hard look, Saeric opened his mouth to speak. "Indeed, brother, I need as much information as I can get. I must know how to push them but not draw ire, to prod but not be kicked. I need to know who to bargain with and who to avoid, but, most importantly, I need to know who created everything on that world. I have... offers for them. Gifts, at the least." Ice glazed his eyes at the last comment, something that could have been fire in any other, but it was gone in his next blink.

"I am Saeric, brother, and anything you have to give me would be much appreciated. I will repay you one day, part of my being walks the Forbidden Ground as we speak. He can carry my blessings to any peoples I deem worthy and, for information today, I would grant you that to a champion of your choice."
    "Ah, character counts, always standing in my overly-worded way." - Pyrrhic Solipsism

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seramus View Post
    Belos, Pyrokus
    Spoiler
    Show
    The adamantine and mithril inevitable gave a single flex, and from two compartments sprang the previously seen cudgel and club. These two weapons were crafted from the same adamantine that Belos was composed from, and had somewhat intricate gold filigree tracing a pattern of fire across their black surface. Belos let forth a brief click of gears as he deftly turned to the side and demonstrated numerous different strokes of each.

"The cudgel surpasses the club in durability and striking power, since it is wrapped with brands of metal. In some cases these bands of metal had knobs upon the end to enhance the ability to bend the armor of an opponent. A club only surpasses the cudgel in availability and stealth. The former because any improved weapon has the possibility of being used with the same attack patterns as a club. The latter because a club is not as obviously defined as a weapon."

"Rest assured that I am capable of creating a cudgel or club to any specification that you desire, provided that you sign numerous documents binding you from preventing such a weapon from being utilized by anyone but yourself or your direct representatives. Further details may be provided upon request. I am capable of crafting a bludgeoning weapon that can shatter the earth with a single stroke, hammer the soul of your opponent out of their own body, or punch a hole through reality itself. Do you wish to sign?"
    Josiah, Pyrokus

Josiah weighed his options and again thought of the bone his workers labored to refine. He lifted his head and hand once more to sign a compact with Belos, when suddenly he found himself doubled over, grasped by pain.

That... That is surprising. One moment cousin while I locate the source of this new sensation.

And so he glanced out from Pyrokus, sweeping his eyes over heavens and earth searching for the source of his suffering. And his eyes fell upon the Vampires, that newly formed offspring of the Dwarves. These creatures were wrong, and were anathema to his very soul. And even the heavens of Pyrokus saw a god changed by his anger. And Josiah did quake with rage and turned his gaze back upon Belos.

I would have a cudgel, that I may drive these abominations from the earth, and their god from the heavens! I will shatter his bones, drive his creations into the earth, strike every trace of this foul life without end from existence! I sign, Belos and may the great creators have no mercy for whoever stands before our creation.

And with that, Josiah plucked his bone back from the Rot and laid it before Belos. And where once it was merely a bone, it now lay gleaming before them, an ivory shaft of the purest white wrapped in vine but also in enchantments of destruction, soft and subtle, a weapon to warp the flesh and call plagues down upon any who would stand before Josiah and his newfound ally in war.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Immortas and Saeric: The Void

<Mondo, your opposite is full of pride in his work and disdain for the powers of others, he will deny this to the last but he believes Fire to be the most powerful of the 4 Elements and any gifts you give him he will think insignificant or worse than what he could have done

Sozuchi, the water god is ever moving, flitting from one subject to the other, any gifts to him must seem unboring to him though what that means even i can't work out

Kali, a new God will forever seek knowledge and progress no matter the source. a gift of knowledge is the most prized for hi->

Immortas suddenly disappeared leaving Saeric with some final words:

<Josiah wishes to oppose my creations the Vampire, i must strike first before he can use his new weapon, i shall be back later>

Immortas: Fileun

In his home Plane Immortas studies the thoughts of Belos, sifting through the schematics looking for what he needed to defend himself, finally he found it. he summoned two golden strands each 1/2 his size. with a thought they solidified into a form resembling the short-swords the mortals sometimes used.

his weapons hovering around him as if held by invisible bodyguards he turned his attention to the Material Plane, He focused on a village in the Blessed Isle turning a dozen or so into vampires and setting them loose on the rest of the town, the militia fought back but were eventually turned as well, as the trained warriors turned their memories of fighting were spread through the rest of them by Immortas making each adept at fighting with the crude weapons the villagers had created. Assured his Vampire's numbers would grow he returned to the problem of Josiah. he disappeared from Fileun.

Immortas: The Rot

In a forest of rotting vegetation a crouching skeleton appeared, his laughing skull at complete odds with the emotions coursing through him.
    <Come and face me Josiah! Gaze upon your opposite in fear>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    5-3 (Twin Blades of Stasis) (Battle Artifact +1)
    2-1 (Curse Towns with Vampire Plaque)
    1-1 (Bless Vampires with Combat Proficiency)
    0AP
    GR12/12 DR+1
    Last edited by DragonOfUndeath; 2010-11-16 at 04:51 AM.
    call me Dragon

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

And Lo, Kali enjoyed what he had wrought
    Kali, for his part, was fairly surprised at how his Gnomes were doing. He had introduced the basics of agriculture, tool making, literature, so many magnificent things! Things that the world could use thrice over!

And yet, the Gnomes hadn't quite used it in the way he had expected. Not at first. When he had taught them how to captivate plants and tame the least feral beasts, they had decided it best to see just how to use this new found knowledge to try and grow fields of opiates, and tame the most feral of creatures. Whilst there were basic crops being grown, his Gnomes had taken his teachings well out of the context they were intended in.

It nearly brought a tear to his eye to see so much unexpected creativity, so much learning being accomplished without his guidance. There were fatalities, of course, but dead Gnomes was hardly something he was surprised at- though they had become exceptionally good at disposing of the bodies that resulted from their curiosity. A few tears, a "Oh my Kali, they killed Boddypen!", and a quick heave-ho into the nearest river out of town.

Kali had not even contemplated making an avatar until Immortas had approached him, the new godling content to watch just what he had created, like a young man witnessing a colony of ants that he had just poured large quantities of hallucinogens over.

"Other gods?" Kali asked, "Oh! Yes. Yes, that would be courteous, now wouldn't it? So! I take it you are some herald of the other gods, here to help show me the ropes as it were?"

Down below, one of the Gnomes had attempted to take tool crafting to the next level, having created a 'wood forge' to try and make wood into tougher, much more useful forms of wood. However, wood is not like iron, and soon the entire workshop had collapsed upon itself, the attempt at rigging a sharpening wheel for sticks resulting in absolute carnage. Kali logged the attempt regardless, filing it away for the sake of knowing.
    Last edited by Gunther; 2010-11-16 at 12:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Josiah, Pyrokus

While Josiah waited for Belos's mighty Viasuran cogs and gears to wind into action he turned to Seelia.

Cousin, as you have said the mortal races must learn not to feed on nature but to coexist. I have seen upon the earth a race given only to feed, that will see the earth barren and devoid of honest life. What aid might you give me against these abominations, the vampire?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belos, Pyrokus.
    Belos waited patiently as Josiah recovered from his momentary bout of pain, as a single plate slid open to reveal a compartment containing nothing more than a stack of papers and a golden quill. In some ways this quill could be considered an artifact on it's own, for it bound the user to the non-disclosure agreements that Fire Lord Mondo required of all gods who would petition Belos for weapons. When Josiah swiftly goes over the paperwork, he finds that the letters written by the quill glow with golden radiance for several long seconds before settling down upon the pages with finality.

After presenting the papers, Belos was frighteningly still. With the last signature he bursts into a flurry of activity as his gears click and whir, with compartments snapping forth all the tools of the forger's trade. Belos took the ivory shaft in his clamps and walked through the machinery of Pyrokus until he came to the furnaces. The flurry intensified now, as Belos became nothing more than a blur. Countless little tools adjusted the shaft, etched into the bone arcane symbols, heated the bone with the fires of Pyrokus, threw strange powders upon the shaft, and repeatedly hammed at the shaft.

Every single tool snapped back into their compartments and Belos held the shaft away from Pyrokus, so that the winds of Julien could quench that terrible heat. When it was safe to touch, Belos handed the shaft back to Josiah. Now the bone glowed with a fierce power and sigils were painstakingly etched, while bands of adamantine were wrapped about the head.

"Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a mighty and terrible weapon forged by the Lord of War. No doubt you will wish to direct it towards your foes immediately, but it is my duty to inform you that the contract you signed permits you 10 seconds of Divinely Morphic power to reshape the weapon as you see fit. Only my forging brand is incapable of being changed, save moving it to a location you wish. Your 10 seconds starts... NOW!"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sora, the Void.
    Sora set forth the call to his children from high above the world, for it was time for their greatest challenge to date. If his children were to understand hardship and loss they would have to struggle through the endless forests, the heated deserts, fantastic climbs, and the eternal darkness. It was time for his people to stop living off the largess of other gods and find a home for themselves. Once the call was sent out, Sora took the time to see the many and mighty predators that had grown upon the world of light. Some of these hunters were divinely inspired, and Sora knew that in time the battle would come to his own doorstep. So it was that Sora took stock in each of the new gods that had sprung up since he last bothered to notice such things and discovered a god capable of forging for him what he needed most. Sora took his great Chimera Staff in hand and left for Pyrokus immediately.

Sora-as-Avatar, the World.
    Sora heard the call of his godly essence so high above and so did his numerous children. Many of them took heart to know that their god watched over them with a loving eye, and more curiously many grumbled with discontent that was somewhat uncharacteristic. Sora inquired as to why their spirits had wavered, and those who were bred for intelligence claimed that they were eager to go forth into the world and prove themselves without a god looming over them like babies. Sora's face twisted into a grin as he thought of what his godly essence desired, and so he laid out his grand plans before all the giants.

Those who were intelligent found many flaws with the plan but when faced with the charisma of the avatar they were brought to heel and aided in correcting most of these flaws. Those who were mighty at first balked at such annoyance, but when Sora explained that there would be many foes along the way they warmed to the idea. Those who were passionate objected the strongest of all, and they divided their opinions sharply. Sora allowed those who were most discontent to stay behind in the world and fend for themselves. He let them know that he was most proud of them, and if they had the strength to survive on their own them they were greater for it. Of all his children, only those who were bred for endurance looked towards the challenge with eagerness.

It took only a few weeks to gather up the necessary supplies, for the blessings of Sora were visited upon the plants and animals near his children and there was always plenty to hunt and harvest. At long last they answered the call of their god and let forth a great shout that carried across the winds of Julien far and wide.

The giants had begun to move.
    Last edited by Incendax; 2010-11-16 at 11:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Josiah, Pyrokus

Josiah reached down and dragged Belos's sign into a more prominent position on the weapon. Gave it a few practiced swings and his normally benevolent face creased into a frown, dislodging some debris. He gave it a few more swings.

I seem to be... Rather a novice at this. Could you perhaps teach me how best to use this new weapon?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Weaver, The Blessed Isle

This tale begins sometime back from now, with a man in a humble corner of the mighty Empire of Humanity. His humble cottage, with his humble tools, was located nicely on a crossroads through which many traveled, but where few stopped. But for those who were willing to rest their bones in his company, the man was a good and true friend to any traveler.

For though his body was crippled since birth, he was a master at his trade. He would could spin from mere tatters a fine and sturdy cloak, or mend a fraying tunic. All he ever asked in return was a story of the lands beyond his little home, and a scrap of cloth to remember his guest by. He rarely met the same traveler more than a handful of times, but he was never lonely, for he loved his work with a passion few could match.

He would claim from time to time he knew every road on the Isle by name, and after a manner, he did. His precious scraps of cloth told a story with every stain and tear and patch. This one traveled the lands on the back of an honest merchant, who brought himself up from poverty with nothing but his wits and a good pair of traveling shoes. That one was the hem from the battle-dress of a noble Shugenja, cut to ribbons in a fierce battle against foul bandits.

Word of his skill - perhaps by fate, or merely coincidence - traveled through the lands. From a samurai, to her daimyo, and eventually to the ears of the Empress herself. It was not often that a noble would sing such praises of a commoner, and Teikoku's curiosity was aroused. She sent a summons for the man, and an escort to help him to the Capitol. The weaver happily accepted, packing up his tools at the prospect of an honor few ever received.

By now, he was an old, old man - though as skilled and vigorous as ever. He was offered a chance to immortalize himself forever, with the most elaborate piece of weave-craft the world had ever seen. A great tapestry, to be hung in the Empress' own audience chamber. On it would be a map - the most detailed, beautiful map the world had ever seen, to display to all the wonder and beauty of the Empire. The craftsman knew his days were coming to a close, and happily accepted.

He was offered all manner of maps and charts to work from, but he refused them all. He would work from his tales, and his old friends - for even on his journey, he had not abandoned his collection of little scraps. For a year and a day he worked, stitching endlessly, a smile on his face the whole time. But on the last day, he stopped. He looked at his masterpiece, complete but for one tiny detail - all that remained was to make the final stitches, and weave his signature into the fabric. He was happy - he had been afraid he would not finish...

And then, peacefully, happily, the craftsman passed away.

The Empress looked at his work, and was impressed. Not by the beauty of the fabric, though beautiful it was, but by the purity of intent that had formed it. The man had lived for his work, selflessly pouring himself into the task he loved right until the very end, and never once asking for anything in return. Quietly, she summoned the old man's spirit to her presence, and offered him a boon for his lifetime of efforts. Whatever he asked, he would receive.

The spirit pondered for a long moment, then gave a simple request. He wished to have a chance to walk the roads he had spent his whole life dreaming of. Teikoku chuckled at the simplicity of it - although truly, it was not far from what she had expected. So she took the man's spirit, and bound it to the multitude of cloths he had loved so dearly. The creature shambled to its feet - a patchwork man, with all manner of colors and patterns across its body - and donned the craftsman's hat. With a bow of respect and a nod of thanks, it set out merrily along its way. It is said that all roads lead back to the Capitol, and Sleeves was determined to take every one.

But something happened, as the Weaver happily pounded along his trails. The spirits of the road welcomed him - and he them, finally meeting his old friends in person. Perhaps it was his entourage of spirits. Perhaps it was something about the raods themselves. Perhaps it was simply what happens when one loves something more than life itself.

But Sleeves became a god, walking the paths of Kamigawa. And so he remains, the traveler's friend forevermore.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Saeric - The Void

Saeric watched the spot that his "brother" had left for a short amount of time, to make sure he'd actually gone like he'd said. Content in his absence, he began moving towards the Endless Waterways. Stopping at the edge, not quite knowing how this deity would take to parts of his kingdom freezing, he let out a call, "Come, meet me, Sozuchi. I have an offer for you, something to make your creations' lives far more interesting." His face gave icy cracks as he put on a smiling face for this deity. "Fun" was the word that had run through his head when the Nameless Brother described him, and "fun" was not "demure."
    Last edited by Solipsism; 2010-11-16 at 01:49 PM.
    "Ah, character counts, always standing in my overly-worded way." - Pyrrhic Solipsism

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Teikoku, Audience Hall, The Imperial Palace

The nerra's brief description of the state of the inverted world was more or less what she had expected from her research into them. They were a fractured mirror, and just as the world lacked unity, so did they. But broken glass was just as deadly as is was when whole.

"Your gifts are fine, and I thank you for them. But one does not build trade on gifts. Nor do trinkets, however fine, relive you of the veil of suspicion. What do you wish from our lands, that you would trade this glassteel for? Why do you approach us now, when for so long you worked to remain hidden?"

Meanwhile, Teikoku was making careful mental note of the being who had decided that her Isle would make a fine place for a divine construction project. The essence felt familiar, like that of her humans... she looked forward with curiosity to meeting it. But for the moment, her attention remained fixed on the Nerra.
    Val'Amun and Teikoku

Val'Amun's words began again, like a siren's song, but void of magic, because it would be more than unwise to try to addle the mind of a deity with any enchantments.

"Because you can offer something we desire, of course. A simple luxury we appreciate, art, culture. That is what interests us most. Painting, sculpture, dance, yours... Appeals to our tastes." - More literally than one would imagine - "And our gift is but a sign of goodwill, and it serves another purpose, as a testament to the quality of what we offer."

And that last question... Why now...

"And we approach you now because it is when we are confortable with, it is now that we find that you may offer what our people seek."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solipsism View Post
    Saeric - The Void

Saeric watched the spot that his "brother" had left for a short amount of time, to make sure he'd actually gone like he'd said. Content in his absence, he began moving towards the Endless Waterways. Stopping at the edge, not quite knowing how this deity would take to parts of his kingdom freezing, he let out a call, "Come, meet me, Sozuchi. I have an offer for you, something to make your creations' lives far more interesting." His face gave icy cracks as he put on a smiling face for this deity. "Fun" was the word that had run through his head when the Nameless Brother described him, and "fun" was not "demure."
    Hearing another deity call out to him, Sozuchi respond. "Ooh, another new one! You people are popping up all over the place these days. Incoming!"

With that, a massive splash is followed by a tidal wave of water as Sozuchi exits the Dragon Ring.

"As the god of not-boring, I'm always interested in meeting someone who can make things interesting. What's your offer?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

15. - Top - End - #195

A Surfing Machine?

The Citadel had become fairly active since the Gnomes had first moved into it. It had been a handful of months, and though they had done their part in helping inhabit this new home. Those within it knew that it had been built for them, even though a measure of their number had decided that the area outside of the tower was much more worth their while. Those who decided that had either been eaten by wild critters, "slipped" and had their heads caved in, or degenerated into some other horrible fate. For now, the Gnomes were content to work within their tower-city. Even by generous estimates, they had barely begun to make their way through the lowest levels! They had been forced to operate by what sunlight they could steal, and things within the Citadel became very interesting at night.

It was by the fourth day of exploration, and the latest handful of staircase-related deaths, that the current leaders of the Gnomes (Those who had thus far proven themselves bright enough to not get killed either by curiosity, stupidity, or some mixture thereof) decided it was high time to see just how other races were handling the issue of dealing with pitch blackness inside a crowded workshop in the wee moments before dawn.

How did they know there were, in fact, others out there? It was quite simple, really: Kali wouldn't have put them on a world all by themselves, now would he? It'd have been downright illogical for there to be nobody that the Gnomes could study/learn from/make peace with/secretly experiment upon.

And so they had begun work upon the only thing that actually made sense. From what they could tell, there was a massive mist beyond the continent they were on. As the majority of the Gnomish people convened on how to just surmount what looked like a sea of mist, those with a bit more sound head on their shoulders decided it was time to try and see what they could find on their own continent. Taking what stone-tipped spears they had available, as well as spare papyrus, some waterskins, and far too many tools and spare writing styluses carried in a myriad of animal skin satchels. After all, finding some foreign folk was great, but what was the point if you couldn't begin taking the best bits from their culture and spreading it amongst your own? Especially since it gave the right to make a fuss about things if it all didn't go according to plan!

With those Gnomes since departed, and automatically assumed dead, the remainder within the Citadel began the only-recently-invented ancestral tradition of experimenting, testing, and then seeing what needed to be written down and improved later. Using sinew ropes and plant fibers, they built the wooden frames from the lightest timber they could find (Mainly because it was easier to carry up the stairs, since no Gnome had any interest whatsoever in making an elevator of any sort within the Citadel yet, least of all in the dark).

Weavers weaved, knitters knit, and the self-appointed overseers of the project were often dethroned by their underlings who thought they could make the project better than what their predecessors envisioned. It was the modus operandi of the Gnomes, but even though their methods were madness, it was the end result that mattered. A crude hull took shape as they bound the hulls together with hardened amber, the precious light of the day being used to its fullest extent. With the chilly weather of the Citadel's upper levels like this, they didn't even really have time- or inclination- to take restroom breaks whilst building. A small mercy for all of creation's lovely little disease-ridden critters under the tower's shadow.

Oars, ending in webbed fins, were mounted upon the sides of each hull, the plant fibers catching air as the Gnomes attempted to imitate birds. Animal skins were sewn together into massive pieces of canvas, which were then stretched further out to make wings along the oblong hulls of the ships. Wicker baskets of supplies were gathered for each of the craft and- were this a different era- an orchestra may have been playing and a countdown begun as the Gnomes destined for these first craft readied their minds and bodies.

As it were, however, there was just a lot of over-eager chefs dabbling in a metaphorical kitchen. With a dozen of the oblong craft designed, each with their own little flaws and quirks, almost half failed to make it off the plateau they had been building on. One even did it in a spectacular fashion, suddenly rolling backwards as it caught a stray air current before being pulped against the Citadel walls.

The rest, however, were on their own. Crews of ill-prepared and overly active Gnomes screamed in unison as these improvised craft darted towards the misty seas, oars flapping furiously as they tried to catch air. Holes cut into the hull to look through were cause of alarm as the clouds of mist rapidly approached the mortals that would dare defy gravity.

Two of the crude boats sank right through the mists, their crews slated for some horrible, watery fate. It should be notable that the last reported words of the four ships that didn't dart right through the mists like dead weights, the same words uttered by every mortal being aboard those craft were,

"Oh sh-"

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lead Populace: Learn how to make sailing ships, particularly those able to cross the Mist Sea. 1 AP
    7 AP remaining

Sozuchi, Chepts, and Gnomes- Oh my!
    Spoiler
    Show
    "-ucks!" The Gnome envoy, Turkin, finished, "Shucks!" He repeated, as the craft began to mellow out. They had likely hit a wind current, or some other magnificent savior of a phenomenon. Looking behind him, the Gnome saw that the rest of the inhabitants of the ship had more-or-less survived. They had been either extremely lucky or extremely intelligent for their own ship to survive where all the others had, most likely, died horrible deaths. Horrible, horrible deaths.

"Everybody okay?" He asked rhetorically, which was returned with a series of huffs, puffs, and more than a few harumphs. They hadn't lost any of the oars, thankfully, but it did seem that a few baskets of provisions had gone sailing right through the view hole. It was a feature more than a design flaw, really. Food and water were supposed to be lost.

"Can we do that again?" Another Gnome, Looprick, suddenly pitched in. "That was great! I haven't felt a rush like that in my entire life!"

"No. No we are not going to do that again." Turkin pointed to the viewhole, "Because if we do that again, I am making sure that you are going out the viewing hole, rather than our remaining supplies."

That shut up the lone voice fairly well, the others having gone to their duty of trying to row and keep the ship afloat, even as they came fast approaching towards the lands of the Chepts. Not that Turkin or the rest of them knew that, of course- they were just trying to make a fairly controlled (crash) landing on this new continent. With any luck, they'd actually still be alive by the time they landed!

If not, then oh well. At least they proved the design worked!

Gnomes in the Blessed Empire. International incident, or beginnings of a great friendship?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving on foot, Roonmil and his not-so-very-merry-band had traveled along the Blessed Isle. Whereas the others had got to work on the great and awesome community project, was the common complaint, they had been left to search for other life on their own landmass! As if Kali wouldn't have given them some sign before now that their home was shared with someone else!

Of course, these complaints had only begun once supplies had run out. Fruits, it turned out, didn't last too long when there wasn't a cool, dry tower in which to keep them stored. Double went for meat, which they had been forced to hunt with complex trapping plans composed on-the-go. As it were, they probably had a few more days left before starvation actually kicked in, maybe a week before eating the weakest of the group stopped being a viable alternative. With no real idea of just what other life looked like, Roonmil and the others hauled their wicker baskets and satchels along, searching for fellow intellectuals. Hopefully attractive ones, with large foreheads.

Unless, of course, other life found them first. Which Kali would have been interested in also, had he not been occupied with other things and other people, at other times.

Kali-Mondo!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The deity of knowledge would, for the first time, stretch his limbs a bit. Sitting around and watching his followers was fine and entertaining, and taking care of the souls of the dead wasn't that bad either, but Kali certainly hadn't attained godhood just to leave knowledge empty. Even as the Gnomes wrote up theories and books about just how their sailing craft worked out in the end, Kali was active.

Making himself present before the master of metals, Kali politely tapped his feet, the balding godling clearing his throat as he spoke up to the fellow deity. What sort of protocols were there for this thing? Back in the Blessed Empire, at least, he knew how to approach another equal!

"Excuse me? Mister Mondo? God of Fire, Lord of Metal? I believe I'd like to speak with you on a very important matter! Particularly, the matter of getting some of this 'metal' of yours to study! Contributions to knowledge are very much appreciated!"
    Last edited by Gunther; 2010-11-16 at 03:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Very well then."

The Empress had taken a long moment in consideration of Val'Amun's words. But in the end, her reply was simple.

"You may trade freely with the people of my Empire. Perhaps you will be proven trustworthy. Perhaps you will be proven duplicitous. Your people are being given this chance - it is up to you how you will choose you will choose to use it. I sincerely hope for the best, but be warned that we will prepare for the worst."

She gave the nerra a steady look before breaking off and turning away.

"Enough. You are dismissed."

She had other matters to attend to. These mirror folk were an issue to be managed. Her adepts' investigations into their nature and plans would continue, as fervent as ever, and for now caution tempered with careful observation would seem the best path. There was no need to make enemies needlessly.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Sozuchi & Saeric - The Void

Continuing his odd but fitting smile, Saeric tried to lighten his voice. Still it was cold, but more being buried in snow than immersed in icy waters. "I hold in my essence a new feeling, something only my own creations have tasted. A brand new sensation, something your children have never felt before. If I'm right about my gift, I can let them play twice as hard as they ever have, celebrate like nothing before, and, generally, let them be as 'not-boring' as they can be."

Letting that sink in for a few seconds, he continued. "My offer is this, something new for your children, something to let them have even more fun. If I fail, I ask of you nothing, but if I succeed, I ask for but a handful of water of my choosing, to play with myself. For now, if you accept, I can only bless some of your children with my gift, but I feel that would be better. If I fail, I only fail a few, but, regardless, they will have tales to embellish on for their brethren."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Torkin - Water World

Torkin was a typical Croc'Chept, not special in any way, really. He hunted and fished for himself and his mate, as well as any children they had who were not yet old enough to fend for themselves. He was part of the Wet Stream tribe, and the fellow Wetters were good companions, when something drew them together to need more than just himself and his mate. The Wet Stream tribe was decently well off. They were primarily a tribe of Crocs, but a few Eags cared for the young during the workday. There were even a few Cats and Set in their group, who provided useful skills to the community. They even had the honor of hosting a small family of Boas, the lore keepers of Water World. He was not a leader by any means, but he was self-sufficient and able to think on his own.

He had heard the stories from the Boas, of course, about Chept and Banchept, the lord and lady of Sozengrad, his people's mighty achievement. He even believed them, but such affairs had never been a part of his life, here at the Misty Edge of Water World. He was a typical Croc, destined to a typical life with little in the way of greatness in store for him other than the honor of being a good hunter and a fertile father.

Typical, that is, until he was out hunting on the edge fo the Mists when the strangest of craft crash-landed in a patch oof swamp not too far from his hiding spot. The Salawa he had been pursuing fled, and with his hunt ruined anyways, Torkin approached the strange wooden craft that had sailed through the mists. Taking his crocodile bone spear in one hand, he used his other to pound on the side of the hull. "Did anyone survive?" he asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Solipsism View Post

Continuing his odd but fitting smile, Saeric tried to lighten his voice. Still it was cold, but more being buried in snow than immersed in icy waters. "I hold in my essence a new feeling, something only my own creations have tasted. A brand new sensation, something your children have never felt before. If I'm right about my gift, I can let them play twice as hard as they ever have, celebrate like nothing before, and, generally, let them be as 'not-boring' as they can be."

Letting that sink in for a few seconds, he continued. "My offer is this, something new for your children, something to let them have even more fun. If I fail, I ask of you nothing, but if I succeed, I ask for but a handful of water of my choosing, to play with myself. For now, if you accept, I can only bless some of your children with my gift, but I feel that would be better. If I fail, I only fail a few, but, regardless, they will have tales to embellish on for their brethren."
    Intrigued by this offer, Sozuchi agrees, not seeing the harm. The Endless Riverways were, after all, endless. "You offer something priceless if correct and harmless if not in exchange for something I have in infinite supply? Of course I will. Tell me, how many do you need of what kind, and what exactly do you mean to give them?
    Last edited by planswalker; 2010-11-16 at 03:40 PM.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rainshine View Post
    The hands clapped together, suddenly, soundlessly. As they parted, a flood of sand began to pour down around Akhat's feet. It continued until it reached his knees, then stopped. The head looked down, mouth twisting, and his wrist flicked. The sand went airborne in a sudden, twisting sandstorm, ascending in a column until it vanished from sight.

"I see... Interesting."

"Indeed it is... and so Akhat, just as I asked Josiah, I shall ask you the same question: what shall you do now?"

The Dwarves, the Old World.

So it was, while the other races of the world toiled under Mondo's Eye, unbeknown to the rest of the world, the Dwarven race continued to grow and expand deep within the mountains of the Old World. Along with their Myconid allies, the Dwarves began to carve their cities into the very stone itself. Soon huge chasms beneath the earth held the cities built by the thirteen major Dwarven Clans, each rules by the clan patriarch, also known as the Deep-Kings.

Dwarven politics was a complex system of alliances bound by oaths and honour between families. Smaller families would try to raise their standing by merging with bigger families, to the point were a single family was able to control the Dwarven markets, which comprised of various goods, ranging from domesticated oozes, to simple foodstuff, to the lucrative trade of gems and other sorts of rare stones, via different aggressive means such as predatory pricing, and different types of price wars.. When a family reached that stage, the patriarch of the family would gain the title of the Deep-King, leading to some furious trading wars amongst the Dwarves cities, both major and minor.

Out of the major clans, the greatest in stature were the Stonedeeps, the Rockbiters and the Slateflingers, who based themselves within the largest of Dwarven cities, were there was the most trade to be found. The several lesser clans would ally themselves with any of the three factions, as they tried to expand their influence over more Dwarven cities, always at the expense of the other factions.
    "Do not anger a bard...for you are silly, and would make for a funny song."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

The smile deepened. "Weak as I am for giving my own creations life and home, I can only affect a small village, at the most fifty of your creations. It will take me a month to completely give, but, at the end of that month, it will show its rewards. I feel that their revelry will be deafening, but I make no guarantees on that front."

Contemplating how to describe his gift, his smile weakened. Frost fell from his face, but he caught it and held it tight in his hand. "I cannot accurately describe it, not well enough to suit myself. It is who I am, who I was, and who I will be, and my creations believe it the same for them. Why describe it as anything other than who I am? In it's simplest for, it is what the universe demands when Fire is truly gone, but I don't believe it to be that simple. Watch it and see if you can name it, for I cannot."

Motioning towards the world, his smile grew once more, "Come, show me where you wish my gift to land, the people we shall make more fun."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Sozuchi and Saeric - the Void above Water World

Sozuchi called Chept and Banchept, who assembled ten of each race of Chept, and gathered them just outside Sozengrad's current location. The ones chosen were from every stage of life and area of expertise.

Chept then used his mastery of water to cause a geyser to spout forth a stream of water miles into the air.

"Right there would do nicely" Sozuchi replied.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belos, Pyrokus.
    The viasura that referred to itself as 'Belos' paused to contemplate the request made by Josiah. You can literally hear little gears clicking as the god of war mulls over the idea of teaching Josiah how to handle himself in a battle. For half a moment it seems that he has struck upon a solution, but that hope is dashed as Belos continues to let his gears whir. Suddenly the servos in his chest churn to life as his voice booms over Pyrokus.

"Using composite experiences within my archives, I have formulated the optimal method to train you to be a capable combatant. This training will result in full competency with your cudgel, and allow you to interface with similarly trained individuals on a transcendent spiritual level. I can make you better, stronger, faster. I have the technology."

Spoiler
    Show
    1 AP, Create Class(Fighter). 11 AP Remaining. 1/12 Growth.
    Last edited by Seramus; 2010-11-16 at 04:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

Sozuchi, Chepts, and Gnomes- Oh my!

Turkin, hearing the knocking outside of the hull, gave a small huff of relief. Apparently they hadn't all died on impact, and had- in fact- landed successfully at their destination. Where that destination was was, in fact, another issue entirely. Fumbling about in the dark, he felt at least two of his fellow crew members were unmoving.

Well, that wasn't good. "Anybody else make it?" He asked, finding one of the wicker baskets before groping around. Eventually, he found just what he needed- a stone-headed hatchet.

"Aye."
    "Yes!"
    "Yep."
    "M'hm."
    "I think I broke something!"
    "No you didn't, shut up. Besides, how can you break your body?"
    "I...Good point! I'm okay!"

That was five voices. Good enough, Turkin thought, as he began hacking into the hull. If he was lucky, a bit of hull damage would be the least of their worries. At last putting a few good holes in the hull, he began tearing away the rest with a bit of help. Still being the smartest of the Gnomes present, he brandished his axe at Ninnock.

"Ninny! Congratulations, you get to go check outside!" He ordered, manhandling the flaxen-dressed Gnome out through the crude hole.

"But I-" He began, as he eventually tumbled down off the ship's hull. Several sets of eyes peeked out after him, praying to Kali and anyone else that this place was not only inhabited, but inhabited by very helpful savages that wouldn't try to maim them or eat them.

"Gah!" Ninnock cried, seeing the Chept before him, "Err, I mean, he-ll-o?" He asked, speaking slowly, "I. Am. Ninn-ock." He pointed to the ship with both hands, smiling. For all he knew, that spear could very well have been, well, it's appendage.

"Nice. To. Meet. You." He added, giving a very slow wave.
    Last edited by Gunther; 2010-11-16 at 05:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

"Yes, that should do nicely..." the god said, extending his hand and throwing what frost he had caught earlier. Bursting when it hit, the flake spread around those who were gathered. The water in the air turned to snow, the outside of the geyser hardened and shattered, and a freezing chill ran through the Chept. For half a second this lasted, but then the snow and ice melted and the peoples knew temperance once more. A few shivers passed through at the memory, however, and the people's rubbed themselves and hopped about in protest.

Pointing to them, his smiling visage finally relented. "There is my blessing, my curse, one in the same. Absence, true absence of the heat of fire. I give your people a month of it, not the harshest, but harsh enough. In a day's time, they will begin to feel the chill returning and dread it, but a day before the end of the month, they will wish it was so warm. At the end of that day, it will be gone, and all will rejoice, invent new games to play and new things to do in revelry that my blessing has left. A season of hardships to forge a season of hope, but the first your people will survive only because I am still weak."

The look in his eye became contemplative, his mind wrapping around what he was to do. "Seek fire, God of All Thing's Not-Boring, seek it to make my gift more interesting. Once it graces that plane again, I will have no reason to hold back my gifts as I have done here. I cannot win this world if I'm not challenged."

1 AP = 2-1 Bestow Blessing/Curse - Winter

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post

"Very well then."

The Empress had taken a long moment in consideration of Val'Amun's words. But in the end, her reply was simple.

"You may trade freely with the people of my Empire. Perhaps you will be proven trustworthy. Perhaps you will be proven duplicitous. Your people are being given this chance - it is up to you how you will choose you will choose to use it. I sincerely hope for the best, but be warned that we will prepare for the worst."

She gave the nerra a steady look before breaking off and turning away.

"Enough. You are dismissed."

She had other matters to attend to. These mirror folk were an issue to be managed. Her adepts' investigations into their nature and plans would continue, as fervent as ever, and for now caution tempered with careful observation would seem the best path. There was no need to make enemies needlessly.
    Val'Amun, Audience Hall, The Imperial Palace

Val'Amun gives Teikoku a bow.

"You will not regret your decision, gracious empress."

With those words, they step through the planes, reappearing in the material portion of the blessed isle.

In no time, the nerra appeared among humanity, shedding their disguises, many a shopkepper revealed himself one of them, and added to his wares new objects, miriad of them, from the practical to the decorative, utensils, tools, jewelry, arms and armor, all made of glassteel, all for the odd prices the nerra asked, sometimes more usual bartering things, animals and coins, but small works of art were also, if not even more readily, gladly accepted.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sora, Pyrokus.
    Sora arrives at Pyrokus only to discover that it s remarkably crowded. He strides past the familiar figure of Josiah and gives a respectful thump to his chest in the dwarven fashion. For the moment he does not even recognize that Belos is anything more than one of the many Inevitables that prowl the world. He makes his way directly towards the entrance chamber where Mondo greets his guests and gives a single ring to the great brass bell that hangs beside the doorway. Sora waited patiently for the mighty elder god to respond to the summons.

Sora-as-Avatar, the World.
    The many giants that were the children of Sora left the Old World behind them with some misgivings. The young and and the old alike shared tales of what would be later be considered the 'Age of Exodus', and the great mountain slowly became nothing more than a distant speck. With their long legs they consumed league after league, and yet the distance they had to travel was beyond imagining.

The hardships had only begun, for the giants were not used to travelling for without stop. Their legs ached, their feet blistered, and their thighs chafed. Beneath the glaring Eye of Mondo they would sweat to exhaustion and many even passed out from exertion. It became the burden of the mighty and the durable to carry these fallen family members, and the might did not do so without great complaint. Many of the savage beasts of the land were afraid of such massive beings, but more than a few reared forth their massive heads and sought to devour the children. It was a tragedy to lose the old and feeble, but did not their god claim that only the strong would survive this trek?

Eventually the people of Sora crossed several great steams and stood before the single largest jungle that they had ever encountered. It's foliage was dense and twisting, with sharp barbed vines, trees that loomed even taller than the tallest giant, and the heady aroma of countless flowering plants. Many of the giants were unsure how to continue, and yet the most intelligent among them ordered the mightiest of giants to the front of the group. These towering behemoths were all muscle and thick skin. With a grunt of displeasure, the mighty begin to rip through the trees and foliage with great grasping hands to clear a path for their fellow giants.

And so it was the giants had entered Sa'Mundo and committed a terrible sin.
    Last edited by Incendax; 2010-11-16 at 07:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seramus View Post
    Belos, Pyrokus.
    "Using composite experiences within my archives, I have formulated the optimal method to train you to be a capable combatant. This training will result in full competency with your cudgel, and allow you to interface with similarly trained individuals on a transcendent spiritual level. I can make you better, stronger, faster. I have the technology."
    Josiah, Pyrokus

A disturbingly bright grin split the rigor mortis of Josiah's face. He gave the cudgel a few more swings, these ones a bit more debonair then his previous stilted failures.

Then do so my metallic cousin. Let us see if between your knowledge and my mouldering flesh we can make a warrior. Perhaps even a competent, adequate, or good one.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Weaver

It was a novel thing, traveling. In life the world seemed to end just over the nearby horizon. Now all of Kamigawa and more were mere steps away. He owed Empress Teikoku a great debt indeed.

Instantly traversing throughout the Blessed Isle, Pyrokus, Water World, the Rot, and the ends of the Void, Sleeves could barely stand to tarry at any one location for long. Like a wandering specter he appeared and disappeared for mere seconds at a time. At first it was exhilarating. There was nearly nowhere he couldn't go.

Slowly, however, with each destination the experience began to feel more hollow and cheap. The travelers and merchants had always lauded the new sights and braved perils. Their journey had been far more worthwhile than the destination. Moving seamlessly from location to location felt as pointless as making a lone sock.

Done with the rounds throughout the Void, the Weaver returned to what was once home. Smiling to himself beneath the layers of cloaks and rags he rested an over-sized sleeve upon one of the shack's flimsy walls. Fond memories of past visitors and projects nearly overwhelmed him as he stood before the small shack. After a long pause he finally turned away and departed, on foot, towards the far off horizon.

Spoiler
    Show

10 AP = 12 - 2
    • Bless 1 Any who rest at the shack will find themselves completely refreshed and restored after a brief rest.
    • Curse 1 To whoever damages or destroys the Weaver's old home will be afflicted with an incurable wanderlust. For the afflicted and all of their future descendants will be unable to find rest wherever they go until they personally restore what they destroyed.

10/12 AP remaining.
    Old Avatar by Doran Liadon. Current Avatar from System Default

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Kali-Mondo!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The deity of knowledge would, for the first time, stretch his limbs a bit. Sitting around and watching his followers was fine and entertaining, and taking care of the souls of the dead wasn't that bad either, but Kali certainly hadn't attained godhood just to leave knowledge empty. Even as the Gnomes wrote up theories and books about just how their sailing craft worked out in the end, Kali was active.

Making himself present before the master of metals, Kali politely tapped his feet, the balding godling clearing his throat as he spoke up to the fellow deity. What sort of protocols were there for this thing? Back in the Blessed Empire, at least, he knew how to approach another equal!

"Excuse me? Mister Mondo? God of Fire, Lord of Metal? I believe I'd like to speak with you on a very important matter! Particularly, the matter of getting some of this 'metal' of yours to study! Contributions to knowledge are very much appreciated!"
    Mondo, Pyrokus

All these constant interruptions. Had he known that protecting the mortals would have drawn this much attention, he might have considered leaving them to destroy themselves and the world around them. No, he would never actually have done that. That was just frustration speaking.

"Why? What purpose can you have for desiring Metal?"

Quote Originally Posted by Incendax View Post
    Sora, Pyrokus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sora arrives at Pyrokus only to discover that it s remarkably crowded. He strides past the familiar figure of Josiah and gives a respectful thump to his chest in the dwarven fashion. For the moment he does not even recognize that Belos is anything more than one of the many Inevitables that prowl the world. He makes his way directly towards the entrance chamber where Mondo greets his guests and gives a single ring to the great brass bell that hangs beside the doorway. Sora waited patiently for the mighty elder god to respond to the summons.
    "Another supplicant. Forgive me that I do not recognize you. There are so many gods popping up and coming to visit me these days that I can barely tell one from the next."
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Immortas: The Rot

tired of waiting Immortas disappears from Josiah's Home

Immortas, Josiah, Belos, Sora, Mondo, Kali: Pyrokus

<so you ignore my challenge in your home without witnesses, do you? Maybe the presence of these gods will make you take my challenge seriously. I, Immortas, Ruler of Unlife challenge you Josiah, Deathbringer in front of Sora, Lifebringer, Mondo, Lord of Fire, Kali, Knowledge-Seeker and Belos, Warheart to a duel tomorrow. Name the place of the duel.>
    Last edited by DragonOfUndeath; 2010-11-16 at 08:03 PM.
    call me Dragon