Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shades of Delusion: The Aftermath

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor nods sadly.
    "Oi'm sorry ter 'ear dat. Bandits? Or dem Ruin langers?" His face darkens slightly as he mentions the priests.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent. A possible chance to test my latest research, muses Sarris, and to examine these unknown creatures. Hopefully they were not damaged. "Where, and how can we help?" Sarris asks.

OOC
    Anyone mentioning problems to Sarris is obviously deferring to his superior expertise. He's still working on little things like "speaking respectfully to military commanders." Fortunately, he only slips occasionally nowadays.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-11-09 at 04:33 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #33

Yamada Tarō

Raynor & Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "There weren't any left to ask questions," the samurai says with a calm and content, but wicked, smile. In truth he didn't care why they had chosen to attack the gem merchant. They were highwaymen and robbers and that was enough for him. Seemingly without a care in the world the genasi returns to the preparation of breakfast, lifting the bacon out of the pan before they burn.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

Big thanks to Savannah for the badass Papa Wolf avatar!

4. - Top - End - #34

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor laughs at that, his eyes watching intently as Tarō removes the bacon.
    "Fair enoof, fair e-noof. Ye two 'eaded ter de festival at Banzaar den?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Raynor and Yamada
    Spoiler
    Show

"My suspicions are both. The Ruiners encourage bandits and often pay them to sweeten the loot they'll already take for themselves." Gearna says with a flash of anger in her eyes. "We spread out wagons over several miles of road, and we all dressed like simple travelers, but they must have suspected. I had enough adamantine braces to finish repairing the Sacken Bridge, but that's been scattered to the winds. Luckily most of my gems were with me. To the maw of the Hells with all of them. I hope it chokes on them."

Sarris
    Spoiler
    Show

A number of the order gather around as well to listen. Sir Orwell, a paladin and bayard shaper; the Langholm twin divine minds, Rose Daine a precocious eighteen year old ardent with strange ties to the spirits, and lastly Virmillion Throes a female dream-dwarf mystic from the Canverns of Ci observing the works of the order. There are others as well, but none you know more than the names of.

"There is little we can do at this point we can do. The intruders escaped, with the child however, so they are unlikely to return. However, that they managed to make it within and escape is not something we can ignore. The city guard will have to do for the time being. The good news is, several of the Dreamers awoke shortly before! Perhaps the fever will be lifted afterall."

There are a few exclamations, and many brief murmurs of prayer and thanks to St. Cuthbert.

6. - Top - End - #36

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor nods his head at Gearna's word, a sneer of anger on his face. He spits symbolically after she curses the priests, and adds,
    "May de stars smite dem al' ter oblivion."

7. - Top - End - #37

Yamada Tarō

Raynor & Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    He doesn't spit as Raynor does, it's seems like the staunch warrior is also a bit too dignified for that kind of gesture. But the face he makes, grim and antagonistic, makes it clear that he shares the sentiments. Calmly he fetches three wooden platters and serves Gearna and then their unexpected guest before taking a third, and equal, share of bacon and eggs for himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what I have to say here really. But I didn't want to just sity by and wait for you guys to continue the game without me.
    Last edited by Calenestel; 2010-11-10 at 08:36 AM.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #38

TVT
    Spoiler
    Show

Somnium attempted to jump through past the crabs, moving to the mouth area, trying to hide somewhere in the dark corners of the whale's belly. He wasn't really the front-line fighter and prefered to either prepare thoroughfully or strike swiftly, ending the battle even before it's start. Well, guess he had to use trickery.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge and Monstrous lore check!
    Knowledge(assuming it's nature): (1d20+15)[22]
    Monstrous Lore: (1d20+8)[20] (assuming it's nature as well, so there's a +2 for 5 ranks included in)

Tumbling past the monsters to the mouth area, hiding somewhere in there, if possible.

Tumble if needed: (1d20+14)[23] ; (1d20+14)[24]

Hide if possible: (1d20+12)[30]

If hiding is impossible, continue moving to the mouth area.

If hiding is possible, ready a quickrazor attack(which triggers Iaijutsu Focus, assuming that they don't notice him) at the next enemy coming within reach, assuming that the hide is successful. If it's not, perform a feint.

Last edited by Critical; 2010-11-10 at 02:15 PM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarris offers the briefest prayer to St. Cuthbert he can think of, feeling vaguely resentful of the others' piety and connection to the divine. As the others disperse, he settles back into his reading to pass the time until they reach their destination.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

10. - Top - End - #40

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor takes the plate with a smile, and begins wolfing down the meal.
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    In case you missed it Cal, Raynor asked a question before the whole hatin' on the bandits track.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Raynor and Yamada
    Spoiler
    Show
    The food is a bit greasy, but otherwise quite palatable. The hard biscuits and jelly with apples makes an excellent breakfast dessert as you chat and get to know one another. A horse and his rider gallops past, not at any great speed, simply a steady pace. He doesn't even glance your way as he goes by.

A few minutes later a dwarf comes into view, his covered wagon pulled by two enormous rams. He nods his head to you as he plods along, clucking his tongue and slapping the reigns as the rams slow to curiously glance at the horse.

OOC
    Just giving y'all a chance to RP and get to know the other's characters while I bring everyone else closer.

Sarris
    Spoiler
    Show

There is little to do aboard for the next few hours as the ship heads for one of the short man-made canals built at regular intervals along the long beachfront. Eventually it docks, and the horses released, champing and stomping with pent up energy.

Stores are off-loaded, though there are few enough of these, the intention to ride light but prepared into the tarpola metropolis. Several more hours pass as you set off down the beach at a moderate pace the horses can keep up for half the day. The horse you ride is ill-tempered and snappish, but once a rider is settled upon it it behaves well, moving to keep even the clumsiest seated. It is yellow-gray dappled stallion with many scars from long-healed war wounds. He's even missing part of his right cheek, so his right side always looks like it is grimacing or sneering, and saliva tends to drip from it. Despite its looks, it is a fine steed.

The faint smells of cooking fires is brought to your noses, and wanderers and the occasional tent upon the sand hints that civilization is approaching. A less pleasant scent however begins to grow as you see a glistening grey hill of some kind in the distance. Approaching it you see it is actually flesh, some leviathan of the deep having beached itself, and for at least a few days by the odor.

A donkey stands nearby, nipping at dune grass.

Somnium
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize these as spider crabs, and young ones at that, knowing they can grow to much greater sizes. What's odd is they're attacking you, usually being very subdued creatures unless directly provoked.

You easily tumble past them, and for a moment are completely submerged within the foul digestive refuse. You emerge from the foul juices and head up the throat. You slash a quick slit in the membrane and press yourself in. The soft, rotten flesh envelopes you like a glove. However, as the crabs head straight for you you recall another thing about them. Their acute sense of smell.

You squeeze back out of the wound with a squicky popping sound, and into the spread jaws of the leviathan.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-11-10 at 11:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

TVT
    Spoiler
    Show

As he was in the mouth area of the dead enormous fish, Somnium got out, and started to wait for the approaching spider crabs, quickrazor ready at his hand, a little sweatdrop running across his scales, which have already shifted to the user's mood as usual, appearing grey now, probably meaning, that the kobold was really concentrated.

Spoiler
    Show

Get out, wait for a while, while hiding, having an attack at the ready.

Last edited by Critical; 2010-11-11 at 09:59 AM.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Somnium
    Spoiler
    Show

Err, leviathan meaning the dead whale. Once you left its throat you were between its jaws.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarris greatly appreciates the capable steed; with it providing as smooth a ride as one of Father's carriages, he is free to spend the short trip in contemplation rather than busying himself with the tedious task of riding.

When he catches sight of the creature on the beach, he brightens and immediately hops off the horse to investigate. Having spent his youth studying the more esoteric arts, Sarris's knowledge of the natural world is severely lacking and of late he has been attempting to rectify this.

Show

<Snip>

15. - Top - End - #45

Yamada Tarō

Raynor & Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sitting in a kneeling position the genasi eats with less... haste than the guest. Instead he keeps an eye and ear open for trouble whether he's eating or talking. "Now... As for where we're going: we are indeed going to Banzaar." He hadn't been. He had just been travelling in random. But this was the way the Ancestors wanted him to go. Any direction was equally good to the samurai. Except the way home. But it wasn't time for that yet. Now, a festival sounded like something enjoyable, and his duty would be fulfilled by then. A faint smile again curves Tarō's lips. He liked festivals, and one on the surface would be quite interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had forgotten about that, yes.

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    I changed my horse from a light to a heavy warhorse. Seemd unfair to the creature to carry a big man in a Full Plate otherwise.
    Money has been deducted from my sheet.

16. - Top - End - #46

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor finishes his meal with enthusiasm, and leans back contentedly, folding his hands over his chest.
    "Well, by a matter 'av pure coincidence an' chance, oi'm 'eadin' te de fair meself. Perhaps we coud travel together?"
    Raynor is smiling inside and out, anticipating more free food. The stars had certainly shined on him last night.

17. - Top - End - #47

TVT
    Spoiler
    Show

Oops, thought it was a new monster. Fixed the post.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Sarris
    Spoiler
    Show
    Domile calls a halt as the whale is seen and wrinkles his nose as his horse trots around it.

"What a great, smelly beast is this." he says, slightly muffled as he apparently has stop breathing through his nose.

You hop off your mount and leave it drooling in the sand. You head around to look at the gaping jaws, help open by rigor mortis. Then what may the surprise of your life happens. A strange little lizard-man no taller than your knee comes bursting out from its throat with a wicked little blade held in its hand.

It is drenched in a noxious liquid, with jellied giblets hanging from its scales, which changes color before your eyes, becoming a deep, stony gray. If possible it smells worse than the corpse itself.

Somnium
    Spoiler
    Show

You burst out into bright sunlight once again, nearly blinded. You don't at first see them, but turning you see a battalion of armed and armored horseman surrounding you. One has dismounted and is standing just outside the jaws of the whale when you come running out. He is only slightly above average height for a human, but is still nearly three times your height. Unlike the rest he is not armored, but instead wears comfortable traveling apparel. Black hair covers his head and his eyes are a cunning blue.

R&Y
    Spoiler
    Show

Gearna senses a kindred spirit in the happy-go-lucky, live for the day and worry about the future tomorrow fellow. She knows that such men are rarely reliable, but she isn't exactly in the position or inclination to be hiring either.

"It's not but a half-day travel, but any journey can get boring without companions... and bacon." she adds, with a knowing wink. "Unless you sense something of the dangerous charlatan in him, Yamada... Taro. Thing."

Yamada
    Spoiler
    Show

All good.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarris is surprised by the appearance of the lizard-thing, but keeps his face impassive. Mostly, he's angry--that little knife it holds could have damaged the creature, those bits and pieces could be vital organs, it could have simply ruined his research opportunity. Sarris is still new enough at this arcane magic of his that he can't always tell what would make a good "spell component," and this creature could have provided one or more components after a thorough examination, and now it's possible that any suitable components would be ruined, and it's all that lizard's fault!

Just to be safe, he brings to mind the incantation associated with one of his offensive spells. He would probably be better off using his psionics, given the Order's dubious appreciation of his arcane methods, but he's been meaning to try this spell out in good experimental conditions and hasn't yet had the chance. He points a hand at the lizard-thing in an arcane gesture, first and third fingers extended, and snaps "Identify yourself."

OOC
    Normally Sarris would ready a spell or power at this juncture, but I'm assuming this is another PC, given its...unique introduction. Only a PC would be crazy enough to get swallowed by a sea monster. If it's actually an NPC, let me know and I'll choose what to ready.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-11-11 at 11:30 AM.

Show

<Snip>

20. - Top - End - #50

TVT
    Spoiler
    Show

The always smiling in his full sharp smile, kobold with scales suddenly turning red now at the sight of the soldiers, as he really was kind of happy to actually see someone. Somnium, with amazed look on his face, fully examined the batallion. "...Wow! What a huge greeting delegation here! For me? I'm, I'm flattered!" - he spoke in his sharp timbre voice. He closed his eyes in enjoyment and then looked up at the black-haired man, slightly getting off his shades with a trained head movement - the kobold sure as hell was used to looking up when he was talking to somebody. "My, you're a tall one! I mean, how may I be of service?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check to improve attitude: (1d20+19)[20]

Aww come on, a nat 1! Lets throw in factotum's cunning insight too and make this 25.

Last edited by Critical; 2010-11-11 at 11:53 AM.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Sarris
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature's scales suddenly turn a brilliant crimson at the sight of the soldiers. With an amazed widening of eyes it fully examines the batallion.

"Wow! What a huge greeting delegation here! For me? I'm... I'm flattered!" the lizardy creature speaks in a sharp timbred voice seasoned with an odd accent. It closes its eyes in enjoyment, and then looks up at you, squinting beneath the rims of some sort of eye protection.

"My, you're a tall one! I mean, how may I be of service?" it inquires in an ingratiating tone, as anyone might to find themselves surrounded by mounted giants.

"Have not heard of me? That's odd... why such a battalion then?" the lizard man asks, while raising an eyeridge. "Somnium the Monstrumologist, a scientist and an adventurer extraordinaire. And you are?"

His scale colors start slowly tilting from red to, strangely enough, lime.

OOC
    Just go on and do what you had planned either way. Its doubtful Domile and your cormades will stand by and let you murder someone without cause

Somnium
    Spoiler
    Show
    The black-haired man looks at you sternly with a flash of anger in his eyes.
    He points a hand at you in an obviously arcane gesture, first and third fingers extended.

"Identify yourself." he snaps curtly.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-11-11 at 02:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

TVT
    Spoiler
    Show

"Have not heard of me? That's odd... Why such a battalion then?" - the kobold asked, while raising an eyebrow, before answering his company's question. - "Somnium the Monstrumologist, a scientist and an adventurer extraordinaire. And you are?"
    Somnium's scale color started slowly tilting from red to, strangely enough, lime. Most likely, it indicated, that he was curious in what was going on.
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-11-11 at 02:13 PM.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

23. - Top - End - #53

Y&v
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor grins and Gearna when she mentions bacon, and runs a hand through his messy hair.

24. - Top - End - #54

Yamada Tarō

Raynor & Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    The warrior shrugs as if indifferent to the presence of the youth. But the sudden, and friendly, smile on his rocky face belies the motion. "I can't say I do, mistress Giarna. So let him come along. Of course he'll have to earn his bacon. I've need of someone who can help me tighten my armour properly before we move out." His tone is joking, but there is some kind of seriousness to it when he mentions help with his armour. He really hated traveling with the full plate when he had to don it by himself. It never fit as good as it would if he got some assistance.

25. - Top - End - #55

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor makes a disgusted noise inside his head when Taro mentions work, but tightening armor doesn't sound too strenuous.
    "Well, wut a fortuitous turn av events. Oi weren't quite sure wurr the travelin' city was ex'hactly this time 'av year."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarris shakes his head at the lizard-thing's antics. "Sarris Almodo the Fourth, scholar," he replies, by way of introduction, and adds "Order of the Epiphanies," pointing over his shoulder at everyone behind him. He too quirks an eyebrow, and asks "Monstrumologist?"

Show

<Snip>

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Sarris & Somnium
    Spoiler
    Show
    The black-haired man shakes his head.
    "Sarris Almodo the Fourth, scholar," he replies, by way of introduction, and adds "Order of the Epiphanies," pointing over his shoulder at everyone behind him. He too quirks an eyebrow, and asks "Monstrumologist?"

Raynor and Yamada
    Spoiler
    Show
    You all break camp, and load the large house-wagon. Gearna unties the clydesdale and begins to pull it towards the wagon, but the horse's nostrils flare and whites show around its eyes. She manages to calm it and lead it to be harnessed but it is very skittish, and starts several times, as if sidestepping a snake in its path.

"It's alright ole fellow." she says, stroking his nose.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-11-15 at 07:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor raises an eyebrow.
    "Is te' beastie normally so skittish?"
    Last edited by The Antigamer; 2010-11-15 at 07:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Raynor and Yamada
    Spoiler
    Show

"Since the attack he's been a little skittish. Doesn't like being hooked up to the wagon any more. He might just be smelling the blood on it still. I'll be washing it off once we get into Banzar. "

30. - Top - End - #60

Y&V
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raynor nods, and resumes kicking dirt over the fire's embers.