New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Homebrew Playtest Services, ho! Homebrew Playtest Services GO!

Homebrew needs more l❤ve~

It needs to see more play. But before that, it needs playtesting. Creators don't always get the chance to do that themselves and PbP games don't always last long enough to really get a feel for how the homebrew is put together. That's why I have decided that for my current campaign, all minor villains and rival NPCs will be created using homebrew!

Homebrew races, homebrew base classes and PrCs, homebrew feats and skills, homebrew maneuvers, spells, powers, infusions, soulmelds, vestiges and utterances! And homebrew items, magic and mundane of course.

My next session will be next Saturday. My players currently are a group of six, level 8, all with LA+1 races, so they're gonna be facing NPCs from level 5 to level 11, with perhaps a rare boss character up to level 14. If you want me to use a class of yours, suggest feat/skill choices that fit with it best. Spell/power/maneuver suggestions and magic item suggestions would also be much appreciated.

I will give priority to people who can provide a sample NPC for their class, preferably of level 9 or 7, with tactics included. (Those of level 5-7 can more easily fit into parties and thus be tested simultaneously.) If you want me to test a PrC of yours, make an NPC with two levels in the class and who has met the requirements at the lowest level possible. Use the NPC wealth table on DMG page 127 and either the elite ability score array for simplicity, or 30 point buy.

As always, please state the source (or link it if it is online).

NPC templates:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [size=4]Name[/size]
    Race Class
    [b]Medium Humanoid[/b]
    [b]Hit Dice[/b]
    [b]Initiative[/b] +X
    [b]Speed[/b] 30 ft
    [b]Armour Class[/b] X (+X Dex, etc), touch X, flat-footed X
    [b]Base Attack Bonus/Grapple[/b] +X/+X
    [b]Attack[/b]
    [b]Full Attack[/b]
    [b]Space/Reach[/b] 5 ft/5 ft
    [b]Special Attacks[/b]
    [b]Special Qualities[/b]
    [b]Saves[/b] Fort +X, Ref +X, Will +X
    [b]Abilities[/b] Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X
    [b]Skills[/b] List only relevant skills
    [b]Feats[/b]
    [b]Treasure[/b]

[i]Spell list[/i]: Or maneuvers, psionic powers, etc. Mark readied maneuvers or prepared spells with an asterisk*.

[i]Class Ability I[/i]:

[i]Class Ability II[/i]:

[i]Class Ability III[/i]:

[i]Class Ability IV[/i]:

Or if you prefer (as in MMV):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [size=4]Name, CR X[/size]
    Type (subtypes) Class
    [b]Init[/b] +X; [b]Senses[/b] darkvision/low-light/etc.; Listen +X, Spot +X
    [b]Languages[/b]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [b]AC[/b] X (+X Dex, etc), touch X, flat-footed X
    [b]hp[/b] X (X HD)
    [b]Fort[/b] +X, [b]Ref[/b] +X, [b]Will[/b] +X
    [b]Speed[/b]
    [b]Melee[/b]
    [b]Ranged[/b]
    (add more if you have more than one melee or ranged weapon)
    [b]Space[/b] 5 ft [b]Reach[/b] 5 ft
    [b]Base Atk[/b] +X [b]Grp[/b] +X
    [b]Atk Options[/b] like special attacks in the other template
    [b]Special Action[/b]
    [b]Spell-like Abilities[/b]
    [b]Abilities[/b] Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X
    [b]Feats[/b]
    [b]Skills[/b] List only relevant skills
    [b]Possessions[/b]
    [b]Ability I (X)[/b] List special attacks, abilities and class abilities here (also mark them as Sp, Su or Ex)
    [b]Ability II (X)[/b]
    Etc.

EDIT: For those who want to know more about my campaign, you can find that here. Don't let the theme distract you from using these services though! If you got something fit for the desert, frozen wastes, oriental settings, etcetera, there is always a place in my world that fits it.

Note to the players in Dirk's pirate campaign: if you ever read this, DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU DON'T WANT THINGS SPOILED AND DON'T WANT TO METAGAME. This is for your own good! Plus, you know me, and that means you don't know what bad things might happen if you don't listen to me!
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-08-30 at 05:54 AM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Playtest Services, ho! Homebrew Playtest Services GO!

I would like to see a magitech team be put together.
    [PF] HP Calculator - Fractional HP, now without math!
    [PF] Initiator NPC Templates - Quickly applied maneuvers for DMs.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I got a couple:

Races
    Golmoids
    Calibans
    Shardminds

Prestige Classes
    Firstborn of Moradin
    Jaguar Knigt (Aztec inspired)

Monsters
    Widow's Weed (awesome concept by Debbie, and companion for her Soldier of Misfortune)

There's more in my signature. Feel free to do what you want.

For work not by me, there is the Tawaki (Admiral Squish) and Glöi (Vorpal Tribble), which (while they don't need any playtesting, as far as I can tell) are of superb quality.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

My stuff. Test it.

Specifically, the OWA on your boss character, and let a player use Hero's Edge. Maybe even include a bit of Ki Fist, since it's going to be low level and those are the maneuvers that are mostly done.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I forgot to add: in case of PrCs, suggest minimum builds to get into it. It saves me time and headaches, which makes sure I'll use it sooner or more often.
    YouTube channel:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Build for OWA: Warblade 7/OWA 5. A bit higher than what you said, but teh lulz from it getting up again is worth it. Focus on Iron Heart (duh) and Diamond Mind maneuvers to make him more durable while still dishing out punishment, and put feats where you think they'll be best.

Extra lulz if he has a couple of Tiger Claw's TWF maneuvers that he starts using when he sprouts claws/another weapon/whatever.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaguar Knight is easy to qualify for. Any 4th level rogue with maximum ranks in hide/move silently fulfills the mechanical prerequisites. The rest is fluff based. I do suggest high Charisma and Dexterity scores for Jaguar Knights, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm down for this. Here's some stuff you can try out for me.

-The Rearranger, a Beguiler-like class, but for Transmutation instead. Everyone who's played it liked it. Treat it like a caster, so things like Extend Spell and Sculpt Spell should serve you well.

-The Extinguisher, a very useful solo bad guy. Not as good in a party. They're stealth focused, so keep that in mind.

-The Shadow, probably the most defensive class I've seen in awhile. One shadow, if cleverly built, can shut down an entire adventuring party for quite some time. To really abuse The Wheel though you need a reach weapon with Combat Reflexes. I suggest the Hook and Dagger.

-The Monk. Now, I don't normally promote monk fixes, but I seriously think this one is worth your time. It's a parkour-based martial artist who can keep up with out of combat utility, thanks to increased use of Athletics and Acrobatics (easily broken into their component skills, the thread helps with that).

-The Reserve Mage, a PrC based on reserve feats. Intended entry was Wizard 3, though Sorc 4 works too. The real power level is 3, when you get reserve fuse. Needs to be used in conjunction with the Reserve Feat Brainstorm though, for more useful options.

-The Measure of a Man, my most liked project. This adds tons of new weapons to the game, most of which are exotic and worth the feat.

-Firearms! Gunslol. Also, has some feats for gun support.

-Quirks, Level 1 Feats. These took the idea of level 1 feats, and made them somewhat more interesting by making some level 1 feats that had unique and creative effects.

-Miscellaneous Collection of feats. Just some stuff I had sitting around yesterday, and wanted to post.

-Daer'Ragh's Spellbook. The oldest of my works on this list, these are a few useful gish spells.

That's really all I've got that needs testing right now. Let me know if you use any of it and how it goes, yeah?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    That's really all I've got that needs testing right now. Let me know if you use any of it and how it goes, yeah?
    Of course. The idea is that I will post my findings here (and how they were in play precisely can then be read in my campaign journal).

The firearms and other weapons will be especially nice, since those can also function as loot. I've thrown in unusual weapons before, like extending rapiers and fold-out swords, so they fit in perfectly.

Besides that, I'm currently not yet letting my players use homebrew (despite Nadia's player really wanting to), since they are still kinda new to 3.5; my rule is generally to wait until the third campaign before you introduce homebrew, but then it usually goes through the roof.

I could use the Extinguisher and Shadow as some harassment for my players in the next game, leading up to a first encounter with a One Winged Angel, who returns later on leading a party of adventurers of other classes yet to be determined. I could use the Tawaki and Glöi then, but more homebrew races would be nice. I do realize most homebrew goes to classes and spells/maneuvers though, but that doesn't mean the rest should be left out!
    YouTube channel:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I could use the Extinguisher and Shadow as some harassment for my players in the next game, leading up to a first encounter with a One Winged Angel, who returns later on leading a party of adventurers of other classes yet to be determined. I could use the Tawaki and Glöi then, but more homebrew races would be nice. I do realize most homebrew goes to classes and spells/maneuvers though, but that doesn't mean the rest should be left out!
    Warning with the Shadow: It's a very... passive class. Shadows are not offensively minded, due to their action limitations. If you want harassment, use the Monk instead.

As for races, I can point you at my Silentium. They're kinda magitech-ish though, so I don't know if you can roll with that or not. If you can, I'd love to hear how it goes. They're great martialists (actually, fantastic martialists), so that could be worth looking into.

If you want a brutally terrifying recurring opponent, what about the Blade Lords? Yes, they're a liiiittle beyond your players (), but thanks to post #8 in that thread, you can make your own! The Lords of Claws, Fists, Armor, and Double Weapons all could be yours, as could the Lord of Lasers, who already exists in that thread. Blade Lords come back to life and make fantastic scaling challenges and primal forces for your campaign world.

Also, if you make an extra Lord, lemme know, and I'll edit it into a post somewhere and give you credit.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

In addition to the Tawaki and Gloi, I listed three of my own races.

I addition, I have the Jerren (fluff found in Book of Vile Darkness), Marrku (Anthropomorphic Reindeer), and two new carnivorous Saurials.

This might not be appropriate, but I have converted the interstellar Gravs from 2e.

I have three 1 HD fey, if that counts as a "race" (they have high LA, though).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Warning with the Shadow: It's a very... passive class. Shadows are not offensively minded, due to their action limitations. If you want harassment, use the Monk instead.
    I was moreso intending harassment as in "be a nuisance" rather than talking crowd control or jumping in and out of combat quickly while dealing damage.

Looking at the Blade Lords makes me think I should make a creature that is a budding Blade Lord of sorts, advocating use of his weapon in all cities.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    In addition to the Tawaki and Gloi, I listed three of my own races.

I addition, I have the Jerren (fluff found in Book of Vile Darkness), Marrku (Anthropomorphic Reindeer), and two new carnivorous Saurials.

This might not be appropriate, but I have converted the interstellar Gravs from 2e.

I have three 1 HD fey, if that counts as a "race" (they have high LA, though).
    I had yet to take a look at those three races of yours, but they are interesting for sure. I could use your rendition of shardminds as guards for one of the elven mad scientists in my campaign (most homebrew races will probably be fluffed as mad science experiments in my campaign, so that it won't become too kitchen-sinky).

...those Marrku make me think some of my players will make jokes since it is a pirate campaign.

I could perhaps use those fey as well, but I'll have to see. Monsters are just as welcome as anything.

EDIT: To those who have homebrew they want playtested and haven't yet posted here, don't be shy to come forth, there is still plenty of room! And even if you don't get your stuff picked this time around, well, this campaign isn't gonna end next session, there'll be more!
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-04-10 at 04:57 PM.
    YouTube channel:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll nominate the Ascetic, should your players want to play a monk that is unabashedly supernatural. There are lots of other classes in my sig that could be tested if you wish, but none that I really desire feedback on enough to take a spot from the other suggestions here.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I was moreso intending harassment as in "be a nuisance" rather than talking crowd control or jumping in and out of combat quickly while dealing damage.
    Ah. I tend to think of faster classes like my Monk or the Scout as "harassment". Shows my RPG playing days, I see.

Looking at the Blade Lords makes me think I should make a creature that is a budding Blade Lord of sorts, advocating use of his weapon in all cities.
    You know, I'd really love to see that. That's a fantastic idea. I hope you use it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Monsters. That is something I enjoy greatly.

I have four different kinds of armadillos (plus the Carbuncle, magical armadillos from 1e), nearly thirty dinosaurs, four golems (three of them extraplanar), two fiends, toy breed dogs, Leprechauns (along with Far Darrigs and Clurichauns), an undead hag template, shapeshifting dragons, a lesser phoenix, skinwalkers, and a new planetouched race. It's all in my sig.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd put mine up for player interest, but, quite frankly, most of my PrCs are INCREDIBLY specific.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    I'll nominate the Ascetic, should your players want to play a monk that is unabashedly supernatural. There are lots of other classes in my sig that could be tested if you wish, but none that I really desire feedback on enough to take a spot from the other suggestions here.
    As said, my players won't yet get to use homebrew, but it's likely that I will show it to my Scout player, as he really wanted to play a Monk at first, but we already had two Swordsages, so I steered him away from that.

Also, going through your homebrew signature (and now that you've changed your avatar back to a previous one), I recognize you as the creator of the LoL PrCs, which I play almost daily with my players as well, so it is pretty likely those will show up too! Some of my players actually begged me to let them use those, but then we found out that there weren't any PrCs based on the characters they wished to emulate, hence why the campaign became a no-homebrew one for the players.

Ah. I tend to think of faster classes like my Monk or the Scout as "harassment". Shows my RPG playing days, I see.
    Yeah, I should've known the term might be taken differently. I'm big on harassment myself when playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    I'd put mine up for player interest, but, quite frankly, most of my PrCs are INCREDIBLY specific.
    Incredibly specific PrCs are never a problem. Fluff is as mutable as much as a DnD human is a breeder.

Plus, fluff doesn't need playtesting, ammirite?

...I have to say though, Djinn, that I've never seen a list of your homebrew, and you don't appear to have an extended homebrew signature. Am I wrong and have I just missed something here?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-04-11 at 06:32 AM.
    YouTube channel:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, going through your homebrew signature (and now that you've changed your avatar back to a previous one), I recognize you as the creator of the LoL PrCs, which I play almost daily with my players as well, so it is pretty likely those will show up too! Some of my players actually begged me to let them use those, but then we found out that there weren't any PrCs based on the characters they wished to emulate, hence why the campaign became a no-homebrew one for the players.
    Out of curiosity, which ones were they looking for that weren't there?
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This post contains many angels. Although most are unsuitable for your game due to high CR and geared vs T2 PC, I would like to hear about the Neophyte (first monster) and the Shadevari (last monster).

Also these mysteries are geared for good aligned players, at least most of them (however The shadow that was mystery path is clearly evil god hating aligned).
    They require the Shadowcaster base class from ToM however, but i have rewritten it for pathfinder play. He should be comfortable in a T3 game.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you can fit it, I'd like to see what happens to my Chaote at mid to high levels, though if you intend to use it please tell me so I can throw up the last few tables I've been lagging on.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Please use the one in my sig and tell me how it goes?He can be a negotiator traveling to a Foreign land.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2011-04-11 at 08:08 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

22. - Top - End - #22

...I have to say though, Djinn, that I've never seen a list of your homebrew, and you don't appear to have an extended homebrew signature. Am I wrong and have I just missed something here?
    I don't have one, actually. I'll put one up here later today for your perusal.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

My sig has a few things. The ones that I think are really far enough along to get playtesting are the Druid ACF and the Metamagic Feats, and maybe the Dexterity Casting PrC, but I'm not sure of a leading-up build.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2011-04-11 at 10:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24

Here are a bunch of my Prestige Classes, in the form of a 4e version compendium. Each one has a link to the respective 3.5 PrC.

Madspark Eccentric would be the one I'd really love some info on.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Summoner would love a test (in sig). I'd recommend using the feats that are provided in the Summoner thread. Also, a summoner benefits from any feats that are relevant to its focus (so, a sneaky summoner attuned to a fiendish dire bat would want perhaps Darkstalker, a battle summoner bonded to creature with many natural weapons would want Improved Natural Attack or Multiattack, a political summoner bonded to a unicorn or pixie might want Invisible Spell, etc.). Skills aren't so important to a summoner -- his best bet is to call a planar companion that has strengths closely aligned with what he wants to do, then attune to this companion and augment his ability scores, skills, and physical capabilities with the companion's attributes. Summoners can also deliver an effective tactical surprise to a group of PCs, because when they dismiss one companion and call another, their augments completely change, and they can assume an entirely different role in the encounter.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2011-04-11 at 03:09 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I would LOVE for you or anyone for that matter to give The Swordsaint a playtest.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2011-04-11 at 03:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Out of curiosity, which ones were they looking for that weren't there?
    I don't know all the character's titles, so I'll just list the characters they were looking for: Shaco, Teemo, Lux, Mordekaiser, Ryze, Shen, Twisted Fate, Fiddlesticks and maybe Vladimir.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    Please use the one in my sig and tell me how it goes?He can be a negotiator traveling to a Foreign land.
    I'll have to read through it more thoroughly, but it seems a bit confusing to read. Usually that's not a good first sign of balance, but I can always give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    My sig has a few things. The ones that I think are really far enough along to get playtesting are the Druid ACF and the Metamagic Feats, and maybe the Dexterity Casting PrC, but I'm not sure of a leading-up build.
    I'd have to really sit down to read through the Druid ACF, since it confused me due to wording. I have used your Dex-based casting class in combo with arguskos' Reserve Mage and Reserve feats to create an NPC for use though!

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Here are a bunch of my Prestige Classes, in the form of a 4e version compendium. Each one has a link to the respective 3.5 PrC.

Madspark Eccentric would be the one I'd really love some info on.
    Wow, that's quite the bunch there! I see most of them are prettymuch meant for the last ten levels, so while I'd love to use them and definitely will once my party is of high enough level, they aren't just yet, so it'll have to wait. It just wouldn't be fair on them otherwise.

Besides the aforementioned Dex-caster/Reserve Mage, I'll be using arguskos' Monk and Jarian's Ascetic alongside one another to see how the two Monk fixes compare. I want to finish up the party with two more characters of level 4, so if anyone has a base class lying around they want tested at lower-levels, here's your chance! (It would perhaps even be most fitting if it would be a party all made up of different monk fixes. )
    YouTube channel:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I'd have to really sit down to read through the Druid ACF, since it confused me due to wording. I have used your Dex-based casting class in combo with arguskos' Reserve Mage and Reserve feats to create an NPC for use though!
    What about the ACF was confusing? Maybe I can explain it better and/or reword it in the main description.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know all the character's titles, so I'll just list the characters they were looking for: Shaco, Teemo, Lux, Mordekaiser, Ryze, Shen, Twisted Fate, Fiddlesticks and maybe Vladimir.
    Well, Shen and Mordekaiser are there at least, if that changes anything.
    Homebrewer's Signature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

May I recommend War-Marked for rolling small NPC foes?
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.