New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: More Dinosaurs than Isla Nublar (okay, not really, PEACH)

More hypothetical dinos, until I get around to making the elemental types.

EDIT: Also, I added a picture to the Gestalt.

Tromble
    Large Animal
    Hit Dice:
    4d8+8 (28 hp)
    Initiative: -2
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
    Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d8+2)
    Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d8+2)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: -----
    Special Qualities: Scent, Lowlight vision
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 6, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 7
    Skills: Listen +6, Spot +5, Hide +5
    Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus: Hide
    Environment: Cold Plains
    Organization: Herd (4-18)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large); 9-12 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: -----

A group of large, furry birds can be seen slowly walking across the tundra. They each have legs as thick as young tree trunks, and a broad beak.

Gravornis, sometimes referred to as the Tromble, are large lumbering birds who evolved from arctic dinosaurs. They are one of the few creatures that can live in the northernmost regions of the world.

In order to survive their environment, the Trombles have developed matted feathers that resemble thick hair. They wander the permafrost tundras in search of grains that grow under the ice. They swallow stones to help digest their food, much like ancient sauropods.

Trombles are generally docile, as they have no natural predators. The one exception to this rule are young males during mating season. During this time, a male Gravornis will grow streaks of bright yellow plumes, and attack any other creature in the area (besides female Trombles).

Combat
    Gravornis rarely enter combat. They are more likely to flee. They are not proficient with their leg-slams, as they are mostly used to shatter ice than actually attacking other creatures.

Skills: When laying down on the tundra's ground, a Gravornis' feathers cover its entire body, granting it a +4 bonus to hide checks.

Training a Tromble
    Gravornis is often used by Neanderthal and Uldra tribes as mounts and beasts of burden. A Handle Animal check (DC 19) is required to rear a Tromble. Trombles can be selected as 1st level animal companions for Druids, or Special Mounts for Paladins.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a tromble is up to 232 lbs; a medium load, 233-466; a heavy load, 467-700 lbs. A Tromble can drag 3,500 lbs.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-06-04 at 11:42 AM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Tromble is done.

I think over the next couple of days, I'm going to start adding bonus skills to the various creatures in this thread.

It seems that all official dinosaur stats have given them racial bonuses to at least a skill or two, but only a third of the dinos in this thread have 'em. Any objections?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-06-04 at 11:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Not from me. Most Animals (including dinosaurs) have racial bonuses; it's what keeps their skills from completely sucking.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright. In order to save people from having to go through the trouble of thread searching, I'll post the updates as I do them.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Okay im gonna make a few changes. I'll edit in one natural weapon at a time, ask for feedback, and then move on.

THE PRIMORDIAL WAY

Unlike fighting styles from the sublime way, The Primordial Way has no set skill related to the style, and the style related weapons are whatever Natural Attacks or Special Attacks (that aren't Spell Like or Supernatural) that you possess. It may only be taken by those with Levels in Primordial Killer or Primordial Defender. Prerequisites for various Maneuvers/Stances are the attack they are based on (or other more unusual criteria). For example an attack based on clawing an opponent will have the Claw or Talon Natural Attack listed as a Prerequisite.

1st Level
    Bite Limb (Strike) If your Bite attack succeeds your opponent takes a -1 Penalty to all Attack rolls made using a specific limb or Natural Attack for several rounds.
    Chase 'Em Down (Stance) You gain +1d6 Skirmish.
    Claw Rush (Strike) You make a Charge Attack with your Claws, and your opponent gets no Dexterity Bonus to AC for this Attack.
    Defensive Peck (Strike) You attack Defensively while attacking with your beak. Your Attack Roll Penalty is lowered by -2 for this round.
    Face Hugger (Strike) If you successfully grapple an opponent your tentacles cover his eyes and mouth temporarily blinding and muting him.
    Focused Attack (Stance) You gain +2 to Attack rolls with one of your Natural Weapons, but are limited in the attacks you can make.
    Intimidating Gore (Strike) Your Gore attack Demoralizes your opponent.
    Lean Into It (Boost) Temporarily boost your Natural AC Bonus by +2.
    Mild Adrenal Burst (Boost) Increase one Movement speed you possess by +10'.
    Readied (Stance) You take no Penalty to AC when Readying a Charge Attack.
    Rearing Blow (Strike) You rear up and strike your opponent with both forehooves for extra damage.
    Stunning Slam (Strike) You Slam attack Stuns opponent for 1 round.
    Tail Slap (Strike) Your tail attack temporarily dazes your opponent.

2nd Level
    Ambush Predator (Stance) Automatically threaten Critical against Flat-Footed opponent.
    Feinting Strike (Counter) If an opponent attempts to enter a square you threaten you can attempt to force him to move back to his starting position.
    Flying Tackle (Stance) You perform a charging leap, crashing into your opponent, and knocking both of you to the ground.
    Lunging Strike (Strike) Gain +5' Reach and do +1d6 damage.
    Pack Tactics (Stance) Both you and Allies gain a cumulative Bonus to Attack rolls equal to the number of you attacking the same Enemy.
    Pinning Stance (Stance) Gain a +4 Bonus to Grapple Checks meant to Pin a Foe.
    Snake Stance (Stance) You gain a +4 Bonus to Initiative and Attack rolls with Bites.
    Testing Strike (Strike) Your strike does -1d6 damage, but has a +6 Bonus to the Attack roll.
    Thick Skinned (Counter) Increase Natural AC Bonus by +4.
    Vital Strike (Strike) Does +2d6 damage, and opponent must make a Fortitude Save or be Fatigued.

3rd Level
    Flexible Attack (Boost) You may change your Initiative.
    Retributive Strike (Counter) Any foe attacking you provokes an Attack of Opportunity.
    Strong Venom (Strike) If your poison attack is successful, your Secondary damage gets a damage Bonus equal to your Con Modifier.

4th Level
    Back Kick (Strike) You lash out behind you with both back legs, severely injuring your opponent.
    Bash (Strike) Your Slam attack does +2d6 damage, and your opponent takes a -2 Penalty to all attack and damage rolls for 1 round.
    Cripple (Boost) For the next three rounds the opponents you successfully attack have their Actions limited.
    Eye Rake (Strike) You rake your opponents face, possibly blinding him.
    Gore Toss (Strike) If your Gore attack is successful you toss your opponent over your back onto the ground.
    Iron Grip (Boost) You get a Bonus to Grapple Checks with your tentacles.
    Surprise Sting (Strike) Your Sting attack does +3d6 damage ifyour opponent is Flat-Footed or is Denied his Dexterity Bonus to AC>
    Tail Whip (Strike) Your tail strike does +3d6 damage.
    Takedown Bite (Strike) If you successfully hit with this Bite attack you can make a free Trip attack against your opponent without provoking an Attack of Opportunity (and if you fail he gets no Trip attempt in return).
    Vein Peck (Strike) Your beak opens a vein causing it to bleed several rounds.

5th Level
    Constricting Stance (Stance) You do +2d6 damage when using your Constriction Attack.
    Open Up (Stance) Successful slashing or piercing strike continues to do damage due to blood loss.
    Powerful Venom (Strike) If your venom attack is successful you can choose to make the Secondary damage Paralysis instead of it's normal effect.
    Rapid Attack (Stance) You gain extra Attacks when making a Full Attack.
    Shifting Stance (Stance) You can Feint as a Swift Action.

6th Level
    Crushing Hoof (Strike) You rear up bringing both hooves down on a prone opponent for extra damage.
    Disabling Gore (Strike) Your gore attack continues to make your opponent bleed while slowing his movement.
    Enveloping Tentacles (Counter) If you are attacked in melee you may immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.
    Eye Peck (Strike) You permanently blind one of your opponent's eyes.
    Leaping Claw (Strike) You run at you opponent, gouging him with your claws for +2d6 damage before tumbling past him.
    Locking Bite (Strike) If you successfully strike with a Bite Attack you may immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.
    Second Wind (Boost) You automatically succeed at your next Saving Throw without having to roll.
    Shrug It Off (Boost) You may remove one status condition
    Tail Sweep (Strike) Your tail attack can potentially Trip multiple foes.
    Throat Sting (Strike) Your sting attacks renders your victime mute and causes penalties due to impaired breathing.
    YAAAH! (Strike): Your charging Slam Attack does +4d6 damage and knocks your opponent back and prone.

7th Level
    Death Machine (Boost) On your next Full Attack, you gain a Bonus on Attack and Damage rolls equal to half your Initiator Level.
    Killing Blow (Boost) Your melee attacks do +3d6 damage.

8th Level
    Bleak Venom (Strike) If you successfully hit with your poison attack the Initial and Secondary damage is Con damage instead of the normal effect. If you already do Con damage the Secondary damage is death.
    Blood Fury (Stance) You are temporarily immune to Daze, Stun, and similar status ailments.
    Evasiveness (Stance) Gain a Dodge Bonus to AC equal to your Level.
    Rip (Boost) You gain extra attacks per round against opponents who meet certain conditions such as Status Effects.
    Savage (Stance) You automatically do maximum damage when attacking a Prone opponent.

9th Level
    Body Crush (Strike) You can potentially crush someone to death with your tentacles while grappling them.
    Disabling Slam (Strike) You potentially kill an opponent with your Slam Attack.
    Femoral Artery Strike (Strike) You potentially kill an opponent with your Gore attack.
    Heart Sting (Strike) You potentially kill an opponent with your Sting attack.
    Killing Bite (Strike) You potentially kill an opponent with your Bite attack.
    Raptor's Bite (Strike) You potentially kill an opponent with your Beak attack.
    Skull Crush (Strike) You stomp on the skull of a prone opponent with your hoof potentially killing him.
    Tail Smash (Strike) Tail attack Trips and Stuns opponent and does +50 damage.
    Throat Claw (Strike) You potentially kill an opponent with your Claw attack.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-08-05 at 11:40 PM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

all the claw based strikes i currently had are up. Any ideas on what you'd like to see for more claw stuff?

also: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...allestdinosaur
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-06-14 at 01:28 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

That dinosaur is pretty cool. I hope more information on it is found, soon.

As for the claws, how about something dealing with disembowelment? This is the tactic for a few large-sized felines.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    That dinosaur is pretty cool. I hope more information on it is found, soon.

As for the claws, how about something dealing with disembowelment? This is the tactic for a few large-sized felines.
    disembowelment, hamstringin etc can be done with things other than claws. I intend to make a few moves that mix between various natural wepaons. Right now I'm trying to make some basic claw only moves. I'd like to do two more if possible before moving to the next weapon.
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps an attack that allows one to attack with their claws rapidly? Perhaps a full attack with natural weapons only as a standard action?

I can't really think of anything else, besides possibly a grappling maneuver.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick update; I was finally able to unscrew up Chtulhusaurus Rex's CR. It is now 26.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

we must convince you to do more critters
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Yikes, its been to long, again.

I'm still working on stuff, but in the future, I give you all permission to PM/prod me like cattle if large periods of time without updates occur. Does anyone have any requests for now?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

unsure

I just finished the onling gig today (in theory). As long as I get paid this weekend in time to prevent isp shutoff I'll be getting stuff done. Of not it may be a few weeks to achieve turning things back on
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Okay how about this: each natural attack has four maneuvers based off it. The stances and other maneuvers will depend on fighting styles (herd defender, ambush predator etc), special abilities (poison, other stuff), or damage type that can be shared. That way you have a few maneuvers for your specific weapons, a few for your species natural fighting abilities, and a few generic dodge or hamstring type abilities anyone can take.

Now I'd just have to figure out hw to do prereqs
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

beak and bite attacks added
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

added tail and gore attacks
    Orcs and Goblins

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

They all seem good so far. I'm new to ToB, so tell me: How exactly are strikes used?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

usually they're a standard action and you perform a weapon or natural weapon attack while declaring you're using the maneuver, and if the maneuver (and usually an accompanying check or save dc) succeeds then there are extra effects.
    Orcs and Goblins

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

added tentacles/arms and hooves/stamps

when i get all the maneuvers up will work out details.
    Orcs and Goblins

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Added stings. Can anyone think of a natural weapon Ive forgotten that isn't s special attack?
    Orcs and Goblins

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

A couple of creatures have head-butt natural attacks, but those are pretty rare. Perhaps they can be added to the gore attacks, or something?

Also, how do boosts and counters work?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

boosts temporarily give you extra abilities when activated, counters are defensive abilities
    Orcs and Goblins

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Okay since no one has mentioned anything i guess I'll go for the speciall attack stuff like poison and webs
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #414
    Bugbear in the Playground

whoa, wait...

Wheres the Calvinosaurus?

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

i added some boosts and stances, I'm gonna crosspost elsewhere to get the most feedback possible. Hopefully it's quick so I can make a few adjustments and move on.
    Orcs and Goblins

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

It's off topic i know, but I just found a new dino book to add to my collection which i must recommend:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHwQ8wIwAA

its a lil spensive but the good ones always are
    Orcs and Goblins

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

God, its been to long, again.... I'm sorry, but I'm sort of on vacation at the moment. I'll definitely look at the book.

Proganochelys
    Small Animal
    Hit Dice:
    2d8
    Initiative:
    Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
    Armor Class: (+1 size, +4 natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/
    Attack: Tail swipe __ melee (_____)
    Full Attack: Tail swipe __ melee (_____), and Bite __ melee (1d4__)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trip
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, scent
    Saves: Fort __, Ref __, Will __
    Abilities: Str __, Dex _, Con __, Int 1, Wis __, Cha _
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Warm Plains
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating:
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 3-4 HD (Small), 5-6 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: -----

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

You must finish this one *pokes*

WIll have nother update for the primordial way soon
    Orcs and Goblins

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

added some stuff, I'm working on fleshing out the levels with not much maneuvers and such
    Orcs and Goblins

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Added some more. About how many choices per level do you guys think we should have for this?
    Orcs and Goblins