New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribes of Tell Amakh (Part 1 IC)

The knife-whelp whips out another dagger and chucks it. "Yeah!" He cheers as the worm backs off. "Get some'a this, baby! Get some!"

(1d20+7)[24]
    (1d4+3)[4]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Iceworm ambush, round 3, AoOs:

As the Iceworm bunches its muscles to jump, the smallest whelp takes advantage of the opportunity to thrust the blade of the spear in the creatures exposed flank.

The knife-whelp whips out another dagger and chucks it. "Yeah!" He cheers as the worm backs off. "Get some'a this, baby! Get some!"

Calling on her skills at taking extra attacks and using the flanking position she finds herself in, the battle dancing whelp unleashes one last attack at the Ice Worm, knowing that she has to make good on this one, as she is not a ranged combatant.

The iceworm tries to unleash one last breath of ice, but collapses before it can exhale. After a few sudders it is dead.

The whelp with the axe rests her weapon on her shoulder, her battle-chant ended, and looks to the others with a nod, though she gives the snake whelp a somewhat odd look -- Punching a worm? she wonders quietly to herself.

Looking around, you can see no further threats, all seems to be safe.

The corpse of the iceworm of course has no equipment, but you know that its tough carpace can be worked into armor that offers supreme protection without too much encumberance. It is highly valued among the northern tribes. As it si a small specimen and riddled with small wounds, you do not kinow how much of it can be used.

Spoiler
    Show

Iceworm armor has to be worked by a master leatherworker or armorsmith to remain flexible and tough. They are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Breastplates are treated as light, but Leather armors are still treated as light. Maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

Iceworm Leather armor: light armor, +2 AC, +8 max. Dex bonus, 0 Armor Check
    Penalty
    Iceworm Breastplate: light armor, +5 AC, +5 max. Dex bonus, -1 Armor Check
    Penalty

AND: no damage from the icebreath as you killed the worm before it could use its breath weapon.
    Last edited by Simba; 2010-11-30 at 05:47 AM.
    Act well before thinking!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

The dancing whelp finishes off her battle dance with the death of the worm, and draws a deep breath. Noticing the look that the whelp with the axe gives her, she nods to her.

As a member of the Bull clan, I wasss not permitted to train with weaponsss. The women of the Bull clan do not do sssuch thingsss. When I defied my clan leader and attempted to learn weaponsss, he forbid me to even touch a weapon. Thusss, I had to learn to ussse other methodsss of fighting, my handsss and feet became my weaponsss. My dancing became my method of defenssse, for armour wasss alssso off limitsss. That isss another reassson why I have no ranged weaponsss.

She examines her wounds for a moment.

Doesss anyone have any sssort of talent for healing, the wormsss bite wasss ssseriousss.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

The small whelp nods as the willowy whelp asks of healing, "I will ask the spirits of water to clense the traces of battle from us"

The small whelp then proceeds to make certain ritualized gestures as she speaks to the spirits before moving around the group and touching each of those wounded in turn. Her touch is cool and slowly over the following minutes the wounds of those injured heal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast:
    - Healing lorecall (ranks in Craft(healing) as CL in conjuration(healing) spells)
    - 6x Lesser Vigor (15 rounds of fast healing 1 for everyone who was injured)

-> Used 1x 2nd level slot and 6x 1st level slots
    -> Everyone is healed completely, except Tyrael's whelp who still has 1hp damage remaining

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

The white-haired whelp prods the dead worm with his sword. "I know we mean to travel light, but it seems a shame to leave such a valuable hide behind. Is it possible for any of us to quickly skin the corpse and carry it with us? Or bury it for later retrieval?"

The whelp has little to no knowledge of actually accomplishing a feat of leatherworking, but has seen it done before.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

The axe-whelp nods slowly as the Snake-whelp explains, understanding a bit more -- and respecting her for her defiance and her telling display of prowess. Giving the small one a grateful bow as she is healed of the lingering chill brought on by the worm's cold breath, the whelp slings her axe into place on her back. She turns to the white-haired whelp and speaks up to agree as she picks up her missed javelin from the ground and wrenches the other from the carcass of the worm, "Yes, we should most certainly make use of this great bounty. Its hide could make excellent armor when brought back to the Clans. If we decide to carry it with us, we could divide the load evenly among our horses, unless it is light enough for just one. But whether we take it along or bury it to retrieve on the way back, we should skin the beast first; who here is good with a skinning knife?"
    I am a True Neutral Human Wizard, Level 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    That is one epic dream ... I applaud your subconscious!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

The knife-whelp steps forward with a grin. "Shoot, I got all kinda knives."

He ticks off on his fingers. "Skinnin' knives, eatin' knives, stabbin' knives, little crab knives, finger knives, huntin' knives, throwin' knives, them little shavin' knives...."

His face clouds for a moment. "Don't know much 'bout skinnin' though. Ain't really my thing."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

The archer shoulders his bow, steps forward to the worm, and holds out his hand to knife-whelp, pointing to the knives on his bandolier that would most suit the job.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

The knife-whelp nods to him and draws the knife, twirling it in his long fingers before handing it over to the archer-whelp.

10. - Top - End - #160

The smallest whelp, once she has finished seeing to her pack, turns her attention to the carcass.

Her attention seemingly on the carcass she turns to look at the horse whelp, he who calls himself Tasunke, "If you could see to calming the horses, and keep a sharp eye out for any unexpected company?"

Although she has no experience in the crafting of leather or armor, she has skinned many a creature for their meat, and drawing her hunting knife she offers her assistance to the archer whelp in this endeavour. "Much as I dislike wasting such a bounty, let us take only the undamaged sections of skin. The rest of the carcass should be dismembered and placed where the birds and beasts may eat their fill, and then we should continue our pursuit."

[Survival (to aid another): (1d20+10)[23]]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You manage to skin the iceworm and get enough leather/carpace to make 1 set of leather armor and 1 set of iceworm breastplate.

Leaving the carcass to the crows, you have a quick breakfast, then once more set out towards the north.

A few uneventful hours later you get close to the place where the delegation of the wolf tribe was ambushed. It is the only way for miles to cross the icewater safely and in greater numbers. The river runs in a deep bed, flanked by steep slopes of stone. In one place, the surrounding hills leave a gap for a road that crosses the river at a shallow ford.

When the wolves came there, they were attacked by a small group of icemen from the other side of the ford. Enraged, the majority of the wolves charged, crossing the river without checking the caves in the walls of the hills upriver and downriver. From those caves came more icemen and flanked the wolves, causing major damage at range before closing in.

Once battle was joined, the wolves' superior combat abilities won out, but not without taking heavy losses.

You can see the barrow erected by the wolves close to the crossing, the last home of many warriors and whelps.
    Last edited by Simba; 2010-12-01 at 03:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Coming to a standstill as she overlooks the site of the battle, the smallest whelp replays the events of the battle in her mind and as she does she considers the implications that may be drawn from the actions of the Icemen.

Following both thoughts and instinctual feelings, she turns to the others. "We need to check the caves. If the Icemen were living here prior to our tribe's passing through, then we need to know what drove them off the Ice."

She pauses and then asks, "If I recall correctly, both our dancing companion and our companion with the knives have claimed skills in stealth. Does anyone else possess such abilities?"

She waits a few moments before continuing, "In that case, those capable of remaining unseen will accompany me as we check the caves, and the rest of you will remain with the horses, ready to assist should things turn out badly."

"Once that is done, then we will check the area for tracks and continue"

She then takes a last look around, before dismounting and preparing to head towards the caves.

[Perception (checking the area for the Icemen corpses that should still be there): (1d20+10)[22]]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There are no icemen corpses lying around, they seem to have been taken away or burried out of sight.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

ESHALYN

Eshalyn heads silently to the caves with the small whelp, already in stealth mode

(1d20+9)[21] Stealth
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #165

Not having much in the way of stealthy skills, the white-haired whelp stands with the horses, hand near his sword in case of another ambush.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+6)[24] to spot anything amiss or movement outside the clearing.

16. - Top - End - #166

The small whelp moves quietly along with the dancing willowy whelp and then turns and waits for the knife weilding whelp to join them.

[Stealth: (1d20+7)[10]]

17. - Top - End - #167

Work on the carcass goes by only briefly before the archer realizes that his 'helper' is actually the master, and he silently shifts to her physical lead.
    .................................................. ...............

The archer nods his head at the mention of stealth, and goes in with the group. [Sorry so brief, doing this on my phone...]

18. - Top - End - #168

The cloaked whelp stays behind with the white haired one, holding the horses together and keeping watch.

Perception: (1d20+6)[18]

"Well yeah, this is where it happened. Damn, it shouldn't have. I'm actually quite curious myself why they would attack us out here, maybe the others find some clue in the caves." He shakes his head.
    "I just hope there won't be any more surprises like that iceworm. My cheek still feels like it's frozen from that damn spit." He rubs his left cheek a bit, then continues staring at the scenery.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

The knife-whelp nods and falls into step silently behind the others, heading to the cave.

Stealth - (1d20+9)[29]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

The axe-whelp sits down on a stone between the river and the burial mound after tying her horse to a tree, looking around with a sigh. "We lost far too many...but in any case, we'll be ready for another attack if one comes. I doubt they'd send another force that size down here again so soon...we should be able to handle any scouting parties." Glancing down the river at the caves, she adds, "If we should have to make camp again, we could do so in one of the caves, set up a fire a ways inside, so we wouldn't be as visible. We're far enough North that we'd need a fire for warmth."

Perception: (1d20+6)[22]
    I am a True Neutral Human Wizard, Level 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    That is one epic dream ... I applaud your subconscious!

21. - Top - End - #171

As the stealthier group start to head off towards the caves, the small whelp speaks quickly to those remaining, "If I signal with a high hand wave like this, it means do not come to our aid. If I signal low, then come in fast. Otherwise use your own judgement"

She then moves off with the others, her eyes sharp, as she speaks softly to her stealthier companions, "Icemen have poor vision, but a very good sense of smell. Try to keep the caves upwind to minimize the possibility of them smelling us should there be anyone in the caves."

[Perception (watching out for Icemen): (1d20+10)[15]]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

3 whelps silently make their way towards the ambush site and the caves. You find the caves downriver from the ford emty and obviously unused.

As you turn to examine the caves upriver you see something floating down the river, caught in the icey currents. It looks like a person of human size and doesn't seem to be swimming on its own accord.

23. - Top - End - #173

The small whelp takes only the briefest moment to look at the body.

[Is it obviously dead, i.e. with weapons sticking out, etc, and is it Tribal?]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It looks tribal and it looks dead, but there are no weapons sticking out and no sure sign of it being dead. The man might still be alive...or not. The body is draped over some piece of wood, caught in it or hanging on to it.

Edit: In order to get to the man/corpse one of you would need to expose him- or herself to potential observers and get a little wet, assuming at least 1 rank in Swim. Or you could just go closer and wait until you are able to see more details. Your call :)
    Last edited by Simba; 2010-12-02 at 08:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

I don't have access to my sheet. If archer-whelp has a rank in Swim, then he will dare the cold water after casting bear's endurance upon himself. If he doesn't, he might cast the same on some other swimmer.

If no one can swim, he will cast bear's endurance and bull's strength, and then try to swim out to the fallen, anyway .... 'cause he's either that dumb or that brave.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2010-12-02 at 12:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    I don't have access to my sheet. <snip>
    Your sheet is here. Your whelp has 5 ranks for a total +9 modifier to Atheletics (which includes swimming).

27. - Top - End - #177

The white-haired whelp smirks at the cloaked whelp, leaving quiet the fact that he hadn't been hit by the beast's breath earlier, so he could not commiserate. To the axe-whelp, he nods and replies, "It will be nice to have a fire after the cold last night and..." he looks at the cloaked whelp again, "...The encounter with our chilly friend."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The archer whelp calls on the power of his spirit ally and asks it to enhance his endurance, then plunges into the ice-cold water to catch the fast-moving body-on-a-piece-of-wood. As you bring it to shore you realize you found a wolf warrior, badly wounded but still alive.
    Last edited by Simba; 2010-12-03 at 12:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

As the archer whelp plunges into the ice-cold water, the smallest whelp bites back what she was about to say, and signals to her other two stealthy companions to remain hidden and keep a careful watch. She herself keeps an eye out for any potential observers.

[Perception (watching for observers): (1d20+10)[27]]

Once the body has been bought in, the small whelp signals the archer whelp to bring it back behind the cover of a small stone outcrop nearby, and then she pulls out the healer's bag and starts work treating the wolf warrior's wounds. She also draws on her skills in survival to try and keep him as warm as possible.

[Heal (treating his wounds): (1d20+11)[27]]
    [Survival (help dealing with the cold) vs DC15: (1d20+10)[13]]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The archer whelp's little bath seems to have been unobserved, at least you can see noone and nothing reacting to it.

The wolf warrior you have saved is known to you, his name is Menek. He was with the clan force that was ambushed. His wounds seem to be relatively fresh and with your knowledge of healing they look like they were caused by torture as well as combat.

Menek is slipping in and out of consciousness, but has obviously understood that he has been found because his breathing calms down and his eyes stop darting around behind his eyelids. After a few minutes you have him well wrapped and bandaged.

Do you want to take him back to the others or continue with your scouting?