New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 5: To Comic 100...And Beyond!

I'm sorry to bring this up again and I know it's your comic and you do what you want with it, Coffe, but I feel like I just have to say:

Noone can have two expressions on their face at once, let alone grow a new pair of eye brows to show them. You can feel two different expressions, but your face is limited to showing one. At least, if you're annoyed and sad, it can't show both.

Yeah, sorry. I'm done now.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm sorry to bring this up again and I know it's your comic and you do what you want with it, Coffe, but I feel like I just have to say:

Noone can have two expressions on their face at once, let alone grow a new pair of eye brows to show them. You can feel two different expressions, but your face is limited to showing one. At least, if you're annoyed and sad, it can't show both.

Limitations of the medium, I'd say. It looks odd but then, I can't imagine how else you could do it.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 5: To Comic 100...And Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post

You can actually show both in real life, it just requires a lot of subtle hints and voice work that is really difficult to do in a stick-figure comic.

At least, that's how painful rejection look to me, could be wrong though
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanks for your comments, everyone. And that wasn't meant to be rude! I was just saying that outside research is really useful! I do a lot of outside research for this comic!

#103: Bad Time To Haggle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-12-17 at 10:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

Fotunately for Lloyd, drunkenness isn't barred by the Code.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, Alcohol; is there any problem it can't solve?

I revise my previous WMG about Janine's traumatic past.

Janine's younger brother Forde was raped by orcs.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Is Radic following to drink with him..?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Barbarian in the Playground

Matt(hew) Silver supports small businesses
    I don't know what drow poison does or what Matt wants it for, but I kind of like to think that he basically did that because he felt sorry for her so wanted to give her money but did it by buying some of her wares because he didn't want her to feel like a charity case. Is that too thoughtful for Matt?

On the double expression thing: I didn't like the way it looked either. But I agree with Keveak that you can show ambivalence on your face in real life but it's pretty hard to replicate.
    I know, because I gave it a go:

Edit: meant to say also, if the two eyebrows deal bothers you too much you can always pretend it's a motion effect where she's switching between the two expressions - like comics that copy the character multiple times to show they're bouncing around the room... yes... that's what you could do...
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2010-12-17 at 08:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    To talk with him, I would guess; drinking is optional. Lloyd's "You're welcome to join me if you want to" was more along the lines of "...if you still want to know me" than "...if you also feel like this is a good moment to get plastered."

10. - Top - End - #910
    Dwarf in the Playground

My faith in drowkind has been restored.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    To talk with him, I would guess; drinking is optional. Lloyd's "You're welcome to join me if you want to" was more along the lines of "...if you still want to know me" than "...if you also feel like this is a good moment to get plastered."
    Hey, if I drank and was there, I'd thnk it was a good time.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Fotunately for Lloyd, drunkenness isn't barred by the Code.
    Fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Mucat's got it. He got it perfectly, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    I don't know what drow poison does or what Matt wants it for, but I kind of like to think that he basically did that because he felt sorry for her so wanted to give her money but did it by buying some of her wares because he didn't want her to feel like a charity case. Is that too thoughtful for Matt?
    Matt's a Chaotic Neutral rogue and a (very recently) ex-thief. Why do you think he'd get poison that KOs the target? There's also another (Very legitimate) reason he got it: In Aequar, one of the poison's main ingredients is poppy seeds; when mixed in solutions with other chemicals, it makes for a very effective painkiller.

On the double expression thing: I didn't like the way it looked either. But I agree with Keveak that you can show ambivalence on your face in real life but it's pretty hard to replicate.
    I know, because I gave it a go:

AH! Thank you! I'm going out, but I'll change it as soon as I get back! God, I'm an idiot.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Bugbear in the Playground

A seeming contradiction between the mouth and eyebrows might work to convey ambivalence.

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I have to say, I like the way you ended this little story arc. Matt randomly asking about the Drow poison is a good way of showing both his and the Drow girl's character, it presents much needed comic relief, and its just a good note to end this little plot on.

Would I be right to assume that Matt asked her about the poisons not just because he's a Rogue and he needs his tools, but also because he wanted to help her out?

Also, its interesting to see that slight change in Janine's attitude. Before this whole scene, she probably would never have apologized to a Drow, correct? And yet you see that small seed of understanding starting to sprout in this new comic. When she asked about the Drow girl taking care of her sister on her own, you kinda get the sense that Janine is perhaps beginning to see that Drow are in fact capable of human-like behavior. So perhaps one day she too will see things the way Lloyd does. She's already taking a step in that direction just by showing sympathy to the girl.

The smallest gesture can show the greatest meaning...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I have to say, I like the way you ended this little story arc. Matt randomly asking about the Drow poison is a good way of showing both his and the Drow girl's character, it presents much needed comic relief, and its just a good note to end this little plot on.

Would I be right to assume that Matt asked her about the poisons not just because he's a Rogue and he needs his tools, but also because he wanted to help her out?
    Thank you, Lycan!

As for Matt, he was going to buy the poison anyway, but he bought extra without haggling...

Also, its interesting to see that slight change in Janine's attitude. Before this whole scene, she probably would never have apologized to a Drow, correct? And yet you see that small seed of understanding starting to sprout in this new comic. When she asked about the Drow girl taking care of her sister on her own, you kinda get the sense that Janine is perhaps beginning to see that Drow are in fact capable of human-like behavior. So perhaps one day she too will see things the way Lloyd does. She's already taking a step in that direction just by showing sympathy to the girl.

The smallest gesture can show the greatest meaning...
    Exactly! And though it appears that Janine has a neutral expression, Kylie's response was like a punch in the gut to her. You'll see why soon.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe in the past... Janine didn't risk her life for her brother. Ran away cause she was scared or something...

I hope not, one atoner is enough. ._.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    Drow poison puts your target into a deep sleep. Usually, for the purpose of slave taking. However, it should be noted that ironically, even though in traditional D&D the drow society is one of the most evil, their favored poison is one of the only non evil poisons because it doesn't actually hurt you. So that means Matt and Kylie can use it and not necessarily be evil. I think.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Matt's a Chaotic Neutral rogue and a (very recently) ex-thief. Why do you think he'd get poison that KOs the target? There's also another (Very legitimate) reason he got it: In Aequar, one of the poison's main ingredients is poppy seeds; when mixed in solutions with other chemicals, it makes for a very effective painkiller.
    Wait, he's going to try and make sort of a "silent" poison? Like someone feels a small prick and doesn't think much of it until it's too late?
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Wait, he's going to try and make sort of a "silent" poison? Like someone feels a small prick and doesn't think much of it until it's too late?
    No, he's not making anything, he bought it.
    The drow have probably been using it for a long time.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

we also must remember that not all drow are evil. only the followers of lolth is the evil ones. the good ones, mostly, follows Eilistraee(lolths daughter) and just to meantion one of the famous good aligned drows: drizzt do'urden.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by Hemnon View Post
    we also must remember that not all drow are evil. only the followers of lolth is the evil ones. the good ones, mostly, follows Eilistraee(lolths daughter) and just to mention one of the famous good aligned drows: drizzt do'urden.
    until she got whacked in a chess game (why didn't she cheat is beyond me she is after all Chaotic good maybe I'll make her a part of my dead god armor set I am making).
    On topic the recommended price for drow poison is 75 gp so Matt over payed by 25 gold.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    until she got whacked in a chess game (why didn't she cheat is beyond me she is after all Chaotic good maybe I'll make her a part of my dead god armor set I am making).
    On topic the recommended price for drow poison is 75 gp so Matt over payed by 25 gold.
    You must have misread a little bit, she said it's 80gp. Small mistake.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

23. - Top - End - #923

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    You must have misread a little bit, she said it's 80gp. Small mistake.
    No I made a big mistake
    I was referring to the buy 10 get one free deal. 80 * 10 = 800
    while 75 * 11 = 825. He actually underpayed by 25 gp. Now we know why he didn't bargain linky
    Last edited by blackjack217; 2010-12-18 at 04:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 5: To Comic 100...And Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    No I made a big mistake
    I was referring to the buy 10 get one free deal. 80 * 10 = 800
    while 75 * 11 = 825. He actually underpayed by 25 gp. Now we know why he didn't bargain linky
    Unless she meant that the tenth is the free one, in which case he overpaid.

But really, why would this particular Drow be following the standard prices for her goods? She could either have an easier or harder time acquiring the poison and have to deal with very different stuff in her business than a standard shopkeeper and we wouldn't know.

Which tells us that we should bug Coffee until she tells us
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #925

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Unless she meant that the tenth is the free one, in which case he overpaid.

But really, why would this particular Drow be following the standard prices for her goods? She could either have an easier or harder time acquiring the poison and have to deal with very different stuff in her business than a standard shopkeeper and we wouldn't know.

Which tells us that we should bug Coffee until she tells us
    The 10th is the free one. I call that the "recommended" price or the "Average" price, because really, you're not going to see poisons in a legitimate store.

However, Drow poison has a very legitimate and benign use: One of its main ingredients is poppy seeds. When mixed in the right solution and in the proper quantities, it it a very powerful painkiller; effectively morphine.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Okay Coffee, I have a bonus comic that I'm going to be working on for this. Its going to take place 5-7 years before Lloyd and company show up and it might even be Canon.

Anyways, just something to look forward to.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When mixed in the right solution and in the proper quantities, it it a very powerful painkiller; effectively morphine.
    Does Matt need it because he's so accident prone?

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Okay Coffee, I have a bonus comic that I'm going to be working on for this. Its going to take place 5-7 years before Lloyd and company show up and it might even be Canon.

Anyways, just something to look forward to.
    Eee! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Does Matt need it because he's so accident prone?
    Yeah. But a lot of people use it; even paladins keep a dose or two around, or at least know someone who can prepare it.

29. - Top - End - #929

Yeah. But a lot of people use it; even paladins keep a dose or two around, or at least know someone who can prepare it.
    It also works as a cure for insomnia. Diluted I bet it works as a relaxant.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Also handy for recreational use if mixed with the proper substances. Drow aren't evil, they're just stoners. XD
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.