New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 Homebrew

With a little work I don't see why not. As an example, the characters of Legend of Mana would be of the more martial classes, like fighter and dragoon, with the instruments being refluffed materia. Or, to use a more recent example, if I were to use this system for a Digital Devil Saga game, most of the characters would be blue mages, just with some new status effects, spells, and some renaming of the spells.

What series do you have in mind?

2. - Top - End - #62

Quite a few, actually. Shin Megami Tensei, Persona and Earthbound.

Alright, just a few.

Actually, I remember someone giving a quick thought about the latter two, just removing or adding a few mechanics, but I wonder how far you can go with it...

3. - Top - End - #63

Out of curiosity, what are you shooting for, persona wise? 'Is able to use a single persona, possibly changing the persona after character development', 'has access to many persona, but some are easier to use than others', or 'has access to all persona your level is high enough for'?

I ask because it'd likely be much easier to make or adapt a class for Naoto than Minato or Tatsuya.
    Last edited by Vauron; 2010-11-24 at 11:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Don't know what the etiquette policy is on casting Life2 on a thread, but I don't want to see this one die. Anyway, just some quick stuff I put together the other day. I did a write-up for the Selkies of Crystal Chronicles earlier in this thread, so here are the stats for the other three tribes. These don't include background information just yet, only the Bonuses and Jobs sections.

Clavats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bonuses
    The Clavats, while being physically identical to Humes, are a great deal different in terms of their social dynamics and racial background. They are gifted with a touch of White Magic that allows them to grow the finest crops, tend grievous wounds, and provide the neutral influence that keeps the other tribes working in peace.
    Whenever a Clavat uses a spell to heal a target, they may add an extra d6 to the healing provided. Additionally, they gain a +1 bonus to the Healing skill, and as part of a standard action to administer a potion to a target they may attempt to make a Challenging Healing skill check. Success causes the potion to heal an additional 50% hp, a Failure indicates the potion only has a normal effect, and a Complication indicates the potion has no effect and is destroyed in the attempt.

Jobs
    Despite their peaceful nature, when pressed into life as a soldier or adventurer Clavats often excel at swordsmanship and the use of shields, and their natural talents also lend them towards roles as healers. Fighters, Samurai and White Mages are the most common choices, but Geomancer is a frequent choice as well. Also, Paladins are much more numerous among Clavats then any other tribe, and are seen as an epitome of the Clavats ideals.

Lilties
    Spoiler
    Show
    Racial Bonus
    To the Lilties, war has always been what defines them as a tribe. They made war on all other tribes and nearly dominated the known world before their supplies dwindled and they were forced from their seat of power. Even still, the Lilties continued their existence as aggressors, launching many campaigns into the monsters-filled wilds to forge new communities and create safe trade routes. Even now, they are often found creating weapons as smithies, patrolling cities, serving on the Queen’s Guard, or manning Crystal Caravans.
    All Lilties can, at character creation, choose to be trained in either Reach or Huge weapons, if their class is not trained in their use already. In addition, whenever a Lilty is equipped with heavy armor, they gain +1 ARM and M.ARM.

Classes
    Obviously the Lilties are drawn to any front-line melee class, with the Fighter and Dragoon being most common. Their natural affinity for crafting also leads many to take on the Engineer class, and those with a taste for the forbidden fruit of magic typically delve into the Dark Knight, though such training is never formally taught and not looked well upon. A small group of Lilties, most born after the last war, have moved to the home of the Yukes in Shella and began studying the arts there. These few have shown a surprising aptitude for the path of the Red Mage.

Yukes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Racial Bonus
    The only tribe able to stand against the might of the Lilties for any length of time due to their mastery of magic, the Yukes display an affinity for the Arts that is both intuitive and cerebral. Magic is part of them, without it they would be nothing.
    A Yuke’s armor serves as a focal point for their magic. At the beginning of each session a Yuke chooses a single element other then Holy and Shadow. They are treated as having the Elemental Enhancer ability for that element for the remainder of the session. If for any reason a Yuke’s ARM or M.ARM is reduced (from the Samurai job ability Armor Break, for example) their armor is considered damaged and they loose the Elemental Enhancement.
    Yukes also have access to the following Job Ability, which is added to the list they may normally draw from.

True Mystic
    You may now chose Holy or Shadow as your Elemental Enhancer ability at the beginning of a session.

Finally, a Yuke’s relationship with their armor is a complex sort of symbiosis. Any armor the Yuke equips is treated as being effected by the Auto-Repair graft, meaning should it ever be broken it will repair itself after approximately seven hours of rest. This does not allow a Yuke to repair broken armor simply by sleeping in it, the armor must have been in good repair when first donned to gain this benefit.

Jobs: Obviously, anything with a Magic Pool will be a draw for a Yuke, though they also excel at Geomancer and Engineer jobs, with their heavy emphasis on elemental damage. Whatever their chosen path, always expect any Yuke you meet on the road to have a unique and devastatingly effective approach to battle.

So there we go. Although my campaign is not set in Crystal Chronicles I think it's defiantly a setting with some merit. I mean, using the threat of Miasma you've practically got a campaign start and end written for you!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

No Selkies?

Anyway, my thoughts:

Clavats: The extra d6 seems really pointless, especially late game when players can easily have hp around the 500 range. Maybe you should have it scale somewhat, or remove it entirely.

Lilities: The +1 ARM and MARM is useful early game, but near-useless late game. Maybe +1 ARM per tier or something.

Yukes: Isn't enhancer 50% more damage? That just seems way too powerful for a racial trait. I agree that their trait should be magic-centered, but this just seems a bit too much,
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone would have some homebrew advice to build an Elemental Field limit break component? Something that come to my mind would be:

Elemental Field (Cost 4 or 6)
    Activate an elemental field of a chosen element that last for the limit break (Cost 4) or the rest of the battle (Cost 6). A field that last for the rest of the fight is usable by anyone.
    Last edited by DualShadow; 2010-12-04 at 04:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Releasing a handful of additional abilities for some classes.

Ranger:

Trophy Kill - Slow, Single
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ranger targets one foe who hit him for damage last turn. The Ranger declares he wants to make a Trophy Kill, and makes an attack with his Ranged Weapon, complete with a wity remark that may range from "Time's Up" to "F*ck you!".
    If the target is of lower level than the Ranger and the attack hits, then both the target and the Ranger roll 2d6. If the Ranger wins, the attack is treated as a 100% Death Attack, expending 1 Destiny in the process. If the target wins, then nothing happens.
    The Destiny is only expended if the Death Attack is successful. this ability may only be used once per session. If it is unsuccessful, than it may not be used again for the rest of the session. A Trophy Kill is only able to be done with a Ranged Weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    No Selkies?

Anyway, my thoughts:

Clavats: The extra d6 seems really pointless, especially late game when players can easily have hp around the 500 range. Maybe you should have it scale somewhat, or remove it entirely.

Lilities: The +1 ARM and MARM is useful early game, but near-useless late game. Maybe +1 ARM per tier or something.

Yukes: Isn't enhancer 50% more damage? That just seems way too powerful for a racial trait. I agree that their trait should be magic-centered, but this just seems a bit too much,
    Just a heads up, I did Selkies already, they're linked from the first post. So they're also the only custom race I've done that's actually getting some playtime, and that's not just for FFd6 but every game I've DMed. Ungrateful players...

Anyway thanks for the input, it took a little while to process and come up with a good retort, but here we go. As far as the Clavats and Lilties go I have to disagree to an extent. I would agree that 1d6 won't make much difference as far as a high level healing spell goes, but then I could also argue that the 2d6 you roll anyway isn't much of a big deal either. Just for reference a Clavat who casts Cure 3, with a Int of 20 (I'm just ball-parking that one), would heal 120+3d6 hp, or in other words 123-138, as opposed to 122-132. So yes it isn't huge but I think anything more then that would throw them over the top, even if you made it their only racial ability. One thing I tried to avoid was turning each race into a one-trick pony, so to speak, and I didn't want the Clavats to just be heal-bots.

For the Lilties, I've been going back and forth a bit on the idea. Tentatively, adding the tier of the armor to their ARM and M.ARM doesn't seem too over powered, but then it also brings the M.ARM up to close to that of Medium Armor, so I thought perhaps only adding half the tier of the armor instead, but then it feels too weak. I think I'd have to play-test this one and see which I like better.

Finally the Yukes. Yeah after looking at it just giving them the Elemental Enhancer at level one does seem a little too much. It's a tier 3 ability so shouldn't be showing up until level 9 or so. So rather then just let them have it I'm thinking instead that Yukes have access to the Engineer ability Soul of Thamasa, but only when crafting armor for themselves and only for the Elemental Enhancer ability. This means they'd have to drop 2 points of destiny to give it to a tier 1 armor, or 1 point for tier 2. So your average Yuke would probably not be gaining the ability until level 4ish, depending on how the game plays out. Since they already paid the piper here with destiny and sinking skill points into Synthesis, I would say they don't have to worry about armor damage negating the ability like I originally wrote, and instead just leave the auto repair and this ability to make their own armor better as their racials.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zansumkai View Post
    Anyway thanks for the input, it took a little while to process and come up with a good retort, but here we go. As far as the Clavats and Lilties go I have to disagree to an extent. I would agree that 1d6 won't make much difference as far as a high level healing spell goes, but then I could also argue that the 2d6 you roll anyway isn't much of a big deal either. Just for reference a Clavat who casts Cure 3, with a Int of 20 (I'm just ball-parking that one), would heal 120+3d6 hp, or in other words 123-138, as opposed to 122-132. So yes it isn't huge but I think anything more then that would throw them over the top, even if you made it their only racial ability. One thing I tried to avoid was turning each race into a one-trick pony, so to speak, and I didn't want the Clavats to just be heal-bots.
    I think racial abilities should be as effective at each level of play, though. Anyway, you already gave them two other abilities, so even if you got rid of it they wouldn't be one trick ponies.

For the Lilties, I've been going back and forth a bit on the idea. Tentatively, adding the tier of the armor to their ARM and M.ARM doesn't seem too over powered, but then it also brings the M.ARM up to close to that of Medium Armor, so I thought perhaps only adding half the tier of the armor instead, but then it feels too weak. I think I'd have to play-test this one and see which I like better.
    Well Tier 7 armor is 150/50 or 100/100, right? 57 isn't getting that close to the MARM of medium.

Finally the Yukes. Yeah after looking at it just giving them the Elemental Enhancer at level one does seem a little too much. It's a tier 3 ability so shouldn't be showing up until level 9 or so. So rather then just let them have it I'm thinking instead that Yukes have access to the Engineer ability Soul of Thamasa, but only when crafting armor for themselves and only for the Elemental Enhancer ability. This means they'd have to drop 2 points of destiny to give it to a tier 1 armor, or 1 point for tier 2. So your average Yuke would probably not be gaining the ability until level 4ish, depending on how the game plays out. Since they already paid the piper here with destiny and sinking skill points into Synthesis, I would say they don't have to worry about armor damage negating the ability like I originally wrote, and instead just leave the auto repair and this ability to make their own armor better as their racials.
    That would work better, yeah.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So on to the thing I originally logged in for

I've been working up a few setting and game specific rules, and I wanted to bounce them off you guys and see if I'm totally out of whack here.

The first and big one is an alternative to using the Freelancer to multi-class. Keep in mind that, for now, I'm only using this to design NPC party members for my group. I've only two players right now, and since Final Fantasy is very much about creating your party and unlocking those party-member's respective abilities and back stories I felt like it'd be a missed opportunity on my part not to tap into that. Also, I am using FF6 as my setting, so it's a balancing act as far as magic/non-magic goes. I can't just whip up a bunch of casters since there are really only three sources of magic user in the game, the Magi, Magitek Infusion and via Esper (either through Magicite or parentage). But since magic was supposedly widespread I came up with this idea, the Inert Magi.

At first level, a MP using class can instead be a Inert Mage. This means that they do not gain an MP pool or Spells through any means until certain prerequisites have been met. To compensate this initial deficiency they gain a few abilities from another, non-casting class. The Inert Mage selects one other class and gain the following from it: Training in 1 weapon that class can use and 2 Job Abilities which the Inert Mage may take as if they were Shared Job Abilities. Additionally, they chose 1 Job Ability from the Freelancer class which is added to their pool of Shared Abilities, and gain training in Medium armor if they weren't already. They do not gain any sort of HP, EVA or ACC progression from their other class, or any other benefit such as access to the Job's Epic, Innate or Special abilities, Job specific gear, or the like.

In order to gain access to their class's Spells, the Inert Mage must go through some kind of trial or training. This could be undertaking a quest with a certain Magicite equipped, finding the village of Thamasa and training with the Magi, undergoing the infusion process to become and Magitek Knight, or whatever feels appropriate. In game terms, one of the character's short-term goals must be a quest of some kind to unlock their abilities. The exact timing and details of the quest are left to the GM, but making the quest occur around levels 5 to 10 sounds about right (to me, at least).

Once the character completes this quest, they begin gaining spells a a accelerated rate, and retroactively gain an MP pool as determined by their Int and Level as normal. The character immediately learns their first level spells according to their class, then progresses one step on their Spell Progression Chart for each level they gain until they have gained all the spells due to them according to level. For instance, an Inert White Mage who unlocks her spellcasting at level 9 would immediately learn 2 Rank 1 White Magic. Then, at levels 10 through 13 would gain an additional Rank 1 spell. Level 14 would unlock her first Rank 2, and 15 through 17 she would gain a Rank 1 or 2 spell. It would take her until level 22 to catch up to her full progression. If an Inert Mage completes their Lifetime Goal before catching up to their proper progression, they immediately learn all spells due to them. Also, they may not learn any rank 5 spells until they've completed their Lifetime Goal.

So that's it. I'm not good at breaking rules systems but I'm fairly sure someone could build something horrible using these rules, but at face value I think they're fairly balanced. Like the Freelancer, it'll take them most of their adventuring career to catch up in power to a pure caster class, but when they do they'll have several tricks the others don't, but the effect won't be quite as dramatic as a Freelancer.

Here's the bones of a couple characters I've thought up.

Ayiselyn, Inert White Mage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternate Job - Samurai
    Extra Weapon Training - Ranged
    Expanded Job Pool - Pray, Warding Circle, Flawless Form
    Quest: Ayiselyn is a priestess at one of the three great burial towers, places where the inhabitants of the Figaro desert bring their dead. She has always felt like there is a sort of hidden potential in her that is tied to both life and death and often dreams of the afterlife. She wonders if there could be a way to travel to the 'other side' and return so she might find an ancient spirit to guide her.

Weinard, Inert Paladin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternate Job - Ranger
    Extra Weapon Training - Concealed
    Expanded Job Pool - Outmaneuver, X-Fight, Advice
    Quest: A talented leader, Weinard was once the man-at-arms of General Leo and trained at the hand of the great warrior. However, a rift formed between the two when Leo decided to continue to support the Empire even after numerous atrocities. As an early candidate for Magitek infusion Weinard has some knowledge of how the process works and though he was tempted by the power he instead seeks a more natural way to unlock magical ability in himself.

Well it's now time to start getting ready for work, and I don't remember what other things I was working on. Oh well.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

New Job, Outlaw

Outlaw
    Contrary to popular opinion, there are many types of thieves who prefer armed force, commonly known as outlaws. The Outlaw is no simple cutthroat, however, and posses a trick or two up his sleeve for tight situations.
    There is no formal training for an Outlaw, and to say they are born as one is impossible. More they are forced to resort to the instinctive skills of the Outlaw as an act of Fate.

HP/Level: +7
    MP/Level: +3
    Weapons: Blade, Ranged
    Armor: Light
    Skill Points: 15
    ACC: 1 + SPR Rating
    EVA: 1 + SPR or DEX rating
    Spell Progression: Same as Paladin or Dark Knight

Epic Ability: Brutallity- Standard, Local
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is a brutal fighter, his ruthlessness knowing no bounds. While jumping from target to target, the Outlaw makes an attack on each opponent that is an automatic critical hit that bypasses armor, no matter how strong.
    After his ruthless assault is over, the effects of his great expenditure then take it's toll on the Outlaw, who takes damage as if he were the subject of one of his own critical hits. This damage bypasses armor as well.
    Each attack must also hit to take effect. The final self attack automatically hits.

Innate Ability: Black Magic- Standard, Varies
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is a combatant first and foremost, but when things get hairy the Outlaw has his trusty sidearm; Black Magic. He may never master the fine art, but swinging a blade while doing it makes up for it.

Job Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Improver Favored Terrain - Self, Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw choses one Terrain type of his choice. He gains +2 to all rolls except Synthesis while in this terrain. This ability does not Stack with "Favored Terrain" and may only be taken once.

White Crystal - Standard, Varies
    Spoiler
    Show

Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw may forsake his use of Black Magic and exchange each Black Magic Spell he knows for one of the White
    Magic school of appropriate level. He gains Spell Progression as normal, but future spells are now chosen from White Magic as well

Hourglass Crystal - Standard, Varies
    Spoiler
    Show

Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw may forsake his use of Black Magic and exchange each Black Magic Spell he knows for one of the Time
    Magic school of appropriate level. He gains Spell Progression as normal, but future spells are now chosen from Time Magic as well

Flourish - Standard, Single
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw whips his blade at an awkward angle, catching his foe offguard. When the Outlaw uses this ability, he ignores all armor of his opponent for this attack. This ability is only ablicable to Blade weapons. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Outlaw's SPR rating.

Wanted For... - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    For whatever reason, the Outlaw is a wanted man. In spite of this, it has merely increased his subsantial notoriety among others. The Outlaw gains a +3 Negotiation, Inquiry, Perform, and Trade Bonus in a chosen Terrain. However, because of his notoriety, the Outlaw also gets a -2 to all Acting rolls in this terrain.

Improved Combatant - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is prepared to fight whenever, and with whatever, he needs. The Outlaw gains proficency with two of the weapon categories he does not have access to, excluding Two Weapons.

Unfair Advantage - Standard, Single
    Spoiler
    Show
    With a deft strike, the Outlaw renders one object useless.
    After making a successful melee attack, the Outlaw may choose to deal 0 damage and instead, shatter a weapon, armor, or accessory the target is currently holding. The Outlaw makes a STR check opposed by the opponent’s STR or DEX, whichever is higher. If the Outlaw wins the object is destroyed, and if the foe wins there is no effect. Broken objects can usually be reforged for 25% of their normal price. This ability may be used times per session equal to the Outlaw's SPR rating.
    Obviously, weapons with the Indestructible property are immune to this attack.

Charming, in a Bloothirsty Sort of Way - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is charismatic in his own right, despite his obvious flaws. For the purposes of Abilities and determining Skill Maximums, the Outlaw's SPR rating is treated as one greater than it is.

Step on a Few Toes - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw has a fast and furious fighting style, up close and personal. You have mastered this technique, dancing around your foes while impeding them. At Short Range, the Outlaw gains +1 to ACC and any enemies within Short Range lose -1 to EVA.

Defensive Stance - Slow, Self
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw falls back to a defensive position. This turn, the Outlaw cannot attack and has a +3 to ARM and M.ARM. This ability may be used once per combat.

'Nother Job in the works, called Bodyguard. Coming in soon
    Last edited by Creed; 2011-01-27 at 06:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I think racial abilities should be as effective at each level of play, though. Anyway, you already gave them two other abilities, so even if you got rid of it they wouldn't be one trick ponies.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but also try to keep in mind that the races given in the core book have abilities that are, power-wise, about equal to a low level weapon ability, or about half of a job ability. In any case though, this back and forth has made me think I went the wrong route with Clavats in the first place, so I'm going to give them some more thought. Originally my intent was to capitalize on their ties to magic use, defensive abilities, and peaceful nature, which to me sounds like ideal paladins and I think I'm getting away from that. Thankfully these races are more of a mental exercise so far, rather then something that is actually going to show up in my game.

Well Tier 7 armor is 150/50 or 100/100, right? 57 isn't getting that close to the MARM of medium.
    True, true, I was making more of a middle tier comparison there but the numbers multiply pretty dramatically at the upper levels. So while I was typing my counter-point out though I crunched some numbers and realized what I was about to say was moot. The jist of it was I was concerned that, if you assume damage mitigation and higher hp pools have generally the same effect, a Lilty would have a marked advantage over Hume. But once I actually did the math on it...

Spoiler
    Show
    I compared two theoretic level 30 heavy armor wearers. In one corner we have a Lilty with 158 ARM and 600 hp, in the other we have a Hume with 150 ARM and 690 hp. Then I took the highest level 'normal' monster in the bestiary (the Exoray) and using the average damage of its best physical attack I came to 318 damage, then added it up to see how many rounds each could last. The Hume won at 5 rounds, while the Lilty only lasted 4.

I realized I was worried about nothing essentially. So yes +1 ARM and M.ARM per tier of armor shouldn't break anything, although the usefulness does seem to drop off a touch at high levels.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    New Job, Outlaw
    HP/Level: +7
    MP/Level: +3
    Weapons: Blade, Ranged
    Armor: Light
    Skill Points: 15
    ACC: 1 + SPR Rating
    EVA: 1 + SPR or DEX rating
    Spell Progression: Same as Paladin or Dark Knight
    7hp puts it on the same level as a fighter or paladin. Is this intentional? They don't seem like they're supposed to be tanky. Also, accuracy based soley on spirit seems a bit weird. I think that would make it the only class in the game that doesn't use dex or str to calculate that.

Epic Ability: Brutallity- Slow, Local
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is a brutal fighter, his ruthlessness knowing no bounds. While jumping from target to target, the Outlaw makes an attack on each opponent that is an automatic critical hit that bypasses armor, no matter how strong.
    After his ruthless assault is over, the effects of his great expenditure then take it's toll on the Outlaw, who takes damage as if he were the subject of one of his own critical hits. This damage bypasses armor as well.
    A slow action? Does that mean the epic action can be interrupted? Does the character still retain the destiny? Also, does the attack automatically hit? I'm not sure based on the wording.

Improver Favored Terrain - Self, Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw choses one Terrain type of his choice. He gains +4 to all rolls save Synthesis while in this terrain. This ability does not Stack with "Favored Terrain" and may only be taken once.
    Err, I think you mean Improved Anyway, you might want to specify that Favored Terrain is a shared ability (and wouldn't stack anyway based on the description. I think there was a reason Favored Terrain didn't include synthesis checks, though. You don't want to delay the party by saying "Hey, we need to head back to the mountains so I can make this blade!" Although pretty much everyone will take town anyway, which will basically allow you to make +4 synth checks whenever you stop. Seems a bit too powerful.

Blue Crystal - Standard, Varies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw may forsake his use of Black Magic and exchange each Black Magic Spell he knows for one of the Blue Magic school of appropriate level. He gains Spell Progression as normal, but future spells are now chosen from Blue Magic as well.
    That sort of goes against the Blue Magic principle that you're supposed to learn the abilities yourself. Gameplay wise, Blue magic only goes up to level 3, and it's supposed to be a lot more powerful than level 3 Black magic at that level, which could lead to getting the highest level blue magic 7 levels higher than a blue mage would. I don't think an Outlaw should be better and Blue magic than a Blue mage.

White Crystal - Standard, Varies
    Spoiler
    Show

Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw may forsake his use of Black Magic and exchange each Black Magic Spell he knows for one of the White
    Magic school of appropriate level. He gains Spell Progression as normal, but future spells are now chosen from White Magic as well
    Works a lot better than Blue Crystal

Hourglass Crystal - Standard, Varies
    Spoiler
    Show

Upon taking this ability, the Outlaw may forsake his use of Black Magic and exchange each Black Magic Spell he knows for one of the Time
    Magic school of appropriate level. He gains Spell Progression as normal, but future spells are now chosen from Time Magic as well
    Do I see a pattern here?

Flourish - Standard, Single
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw whips his blade at an awkward angle, catching his foe offguard. When the Outlaw uses this ability, he ignores all armor of his opponent for this attack. This ability is only ablicable to Blade weapons. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Outlaw's SPR rating.
    So basically extra piercing strikes? Looks good.

Wanted For... - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    For whatever reason, the Outlaw is a wanted man. In spite of this, it has merely increased his subsantial notoriety among others. The Outlaw gains a +3 Negotiation, Inquiry, Perform, and Trade Bonus in a chosen Terrain. However, because of his notoriety, the Outlaw also gets a -2 to all Acting rolls in this terrain.
    This doesn't run into the same problem as a synth bonus, although I'm willing to bet most players would just pick Town.

Improved Combatant - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is prepared to fight whenever, and with whatever, he needs. The Outlaw gains proficency with two of the weapon categories he does not have access to, excluding Two Weapons.
    So an improved version of the shared ability? Fits reasonably.

Unfair Advantage - Standard, Single
    Spoiler
    Show
    With a deft strike, the Outlaw renders one object useless.
    After making a successful melee attack, the Outlaw may choose to deal 0 damage and instead, shatter a weapon, armor, or accessory the target is currently holding. The Outlaw makes a STR check opposed by the opponent’s STR or DEX, whichever is higher. If the Outlaw wins the object is destroyed, and if the foe wins there is no effect. Broken objects can usually be reforged for 25% of their normal price. This ability may be used times per session equal to the Outlaw's SPR rating.
    Obviously, weapons with the Indestructible property are immune to this attack.
    Strictly better than the ninja ability, because of usage. But I'm fine with it.

Charming, in a Bloothirsty Sort of Way - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw is charismatic in his own right, despite his obvious flaws. For the purposes of Abilities and determining Skill Maximums, the Outlaw's SPR rating is treated as one greater than it is.
    Another skill ability? Works fine, I suppose.

Step on a Few Toes - Passive
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Outlaw has a fast and furious fighting style, up close and personal. You have mastered this technique, dancing around your foes while impeding them. At Short Range, the Outlaw gains +1 to ACC and any enemies within Short Range lose -1 to EVA. These bonuses increase and decrease to 2at Level 10, 3 at Level 20, and 4 at Level 30.
    ]
    Eh... I think it's fine without the scaling.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll correct these soon, thanks for feedback!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

@IcarusWings: Any chance you're going to finish the Keymaster?

Other stuff will be added to first post later today.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Elemental Field (Cost 4 or 6)
    Activate an elemental field of a chosen element that last for the limit break (Cost 4) or the rest of the battle (Cost 6). A field that last for the rest of the fight is usable by anyone.
    Quoting myself because it I think it went unnoticed.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    @IcarusWings: Any chance you're going to finish the Keymaster?
    I'd like to, but I can't think of any more abilities. If any one has any ideas, feel free to say it.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    I'd like to, but I can't think of any more abilities. If any one has any ideas, feel free to say it.
    I meant the Epic Ability really. Job Abilities can be replaced with shared ones, that can't.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I meant the Epic Ability really. Job Abilities can be replaced with shared ones, that can't.
    Fair enough, any ideas?
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    Fair enough, any ideas?
    If you insist on Drive Form being a Standard Job ability, then Final Form might be an idea?

Gain a second Keyblade as well as the ability to fly and attack a a Medium Range. Give them assorted bonuses to att & dmg based on Keyblade Tier etc?

21. - Top - End - #81

yeah, that should do it. I'll work on that soon, a bit tired at the moment though.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Quoting myself because it I think it went unnoticed.
    Nah, I just usually don't post unless I'm going to have a lot to type.

Anyway, I think it's fair. Elemental fields give enhancer for that particular element, but you might want to encourage creative uses for it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

OP updated to Outlaw.

I'll be adding the Sinscales & a home-made Sinspawn I'm using in my game up once the combat's over.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-12-12 at 08:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Continuing to greatly enjoy this thread. Will have to be asking permission to incorporate quite a bit of this into the official book.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Star eyes)

We couldn't do it without a great system to base it on

Edit: KB, could you include Temotei's Fencer on the first page?
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-12-12 at 05:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Continuing to greatly enjoy this thread. Will have to be asking permission to incorporate quite a bit of this into the official book.
    Like what?

*heart eyes*
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

Edit: KB, could you include Temotei's Fencer on the first page?
    It wasn't already? Darn. I need to pay attention.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    It wasn't already? Darn. I need to pay attention.
    You're not the only one apparently @self

I'll do it when I get home, is it in this thread?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's on post #44

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently I missed a whole bunch of stuff from that area of the thread. My sincerest apologies (especially if it turns out I've missed something else).

Though, the Angler Whelk still gives a megalixer, is that to be changed?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-12-13 at 03:03 PM.