New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default 3DS release date and price announced for US and Europe!

A while ago I made a topic mentioning the announcement of the price and release date, but that was for Japan (February 26 at 25,000 yen). Well, they've finally gotten around to announcing it for the United States; it'll be released March 27 for $250. As for Europe, it's a little less clear. The date is March 25, but the price is apparently up to distributors. According to Wikipedia, "So far, HMV and GAME have revealed their prices at £229.99 (approximately €272) while Play.com announced their price at £219.99."

Now I just have to figure out which color I want to pre-order...
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-01-20 at 07:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3DS release date and price announced for US and Europe!

Yeah, heard about this elsewhere myself. Glad to see the price is only $250 instead of $300, but I won't be pre-ordering. There aren't any release titles I'm interested in. Plus it comes just a couple weeks after Dragon Age 2, which comes just a couple weeks after Marvel vs Capcom 3, Dragon Quest 6, and Radiant Historia, so that timing would be awfully inconvenient for my wallet if I did get it day 1.

I'm sure I'll have one by the end of the year though, at least assuming that at least a couple games I'm interested in come out this year and the system doesn't become impossible to find the way the Wii did.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, heard about this elsewhere myself. Glad to see the price is only $250 instead of $300, but I won't be pre-ordering. There aren't any release titles I'm interested in. Plus it comes just a couple weeks after Dragon Age 2, which comes just a couple weeks after Marvel vs Capcom 3, Dragon Quest 6, and Radiant Historia, so that timing would be awfully inconvenient for my wallet if I did get it day 1.

I'm sure I'll have one by the end of the year though, at least assuming that at least a couple games I'm interested in come out this year and the system doesn't become impossible to find the way the Wii did.

Zevox
    Ordinarily I might not pre-order it, especially as there are no launch titles I'm particularly interested in (there are titles I'm really interested in, but they're not launch titles). However, there are two things that make me want to pre-order, even if it is expensive:
    1) My current DS Lite's L and R buttons are pretty much nonfunctional at this point, and it's really cutting into what games I can play. A 3DS with its backwards compatibility would solve that. Granted, a regular DS is cheaper, but I know I'm going to get a 3DS eventually, so I might as well get it now, and it'll be cheaper to buy a 3DS than to buy a DS and then a 3DS.
    2) If it does end up like the Wii, it'll be extremely hard to find, so might as well get the order in as early as possible.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The only reason I'm not buying it ASAP is simple: I lack the cash.

Otherwise? I'd be grabbing both its Street Fighter and Dead or Alive titles, as well as DQ VI, Pokémon White, and find DQ V somewhere.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'll pick it up ASAP. I have the cash, and my DS Lite's control pad is a shade above unresponsive and the L button has gone completely.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll wait until at least they translate megaman legends 3
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

My DSi is fine. I don't need some fancy upgrade. Thats what my 360 is for... oh thank you LED tv and your infinate color sharpness.
    Undead rockstars mean eternal afterparties. ^vv^

"Denn die Todten reiten Schnell. (For the dead travel fast)"
    — Bram Stoker (Dracula)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

If I can pull together the funds, I'll buy one.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Ordinarily I might not pre-order it, especially as there are no launch titles I'm particularly interested in (there are titles I'm really interested in, but they're not launch titles). However, there are two things that make me want to pre-order, even if it is expensive:
    1) My current DS Lite's L and R buttons are pretty much nonfunctional at this point, and it's really cutting into what games I can play. A 3DS with its backwards compatibility would solve that. Granted, a regular DS is cheaper, but I know I'm going to get a 3DS eventually, so I might as well get it now, and it'll be cheaper to buy a 3DS than to buy a DS and then a 3DS.
    I can understand that - such a problem with my original DS's L button was a large part of what prompted me to get my DS Lite a couple years ago. But I don't have any such issue with my current DS. So at the moment the only reason for me to grab one would be the possibility that they'll become tough to find when I do want one. Not exactly a compelling reason to spend a couple hundred dollars on a system I won't use for a while.

Besides, honestly, I currently have quite the backlog of games to play (due to Christmas largely), and as I mentioned, four personal must-haves coming up starting mid-February, all of which I'm likely to invest significant time in (three of them being RPGs and one of them being a fighting game that will probably be pretty addictive). I've got plenty to do with my spare time for the foreseeable future.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferocktu View Post
    My DSi is fine. I don't need some fancy upgrade. Thats what my 360 is for... oh thank you LED tv and your infinate color sharpness.
    Err, the 3DS has it's own games. That are in 3d. Without glasses. In addition to being a bit more powerful and assorted other small features.

It's kind of a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    Err, the 3DS has it's own games. That are in 3d. Without glasses. In addition to being a bit more powerful and assorted other small features.

It's kind of a big deal.
    And by nearly all accounts, that's an understatement. For reference, here's some Super Street Fighter IV action, with the 3D effect turned off for screenshot purposes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

by the way, can someone link me the launching titles again, and if it's avaliable already,list of english launching titles?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    by the way, can someone link me the launching titles again, and if it's avaliable already,list of english launching titles?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-01-21 at 03:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh yes I am getting this as soon as possible. Preferably preordered. Yeah, this is going to have a massive backlog like when the Wii came out.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Gonna have to wait for the funds for this- which is a shame because I had to replace my DS Lite with a pre-owned original model DS earlier this month after it went kaputt... Hopefully I won't have to make that last too many more months.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno... that's as much as a full blown console. 3D is nice, but I have a feeling it's just a fad. A cool fad, but none-the-less. However, it's a tad too pricey for a handheld for me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I dunno... that's as much as a full blown console.
    Graphically, it seems to be as powerful as the Wii. Plus it has similar motion-sensing ability (when looking in first person in the OoT demo, you can move the system to look around instead of the circle pad, if you wish), and three cameras (one that faces inward, and a pair that face outward that function as a stereoscopic pair). All in one unit.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I dunno... that's as much as a full blown console. 3D is nice, but I have a feeling it's just a fad. A cool fad, but none-the-less. However, it's a tad too pricey for a handheld for me.
    Given how both the portables in the market have been consistently more awesome in the games department than "full blown consoles" for the past three to four years, this doesn't bother me all that much . I don't like 3D, hurts my eyes, and I'm going to have the 3D slider disconnected always, but I still intend to spring for a 3DS soon as I get the money.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was going to say that I was definitely going to get one ASAP, but then I thought about how many of my DS games are imported US versions (I'm in Australia). So I'm gonna wait for a must-have game that's available in my region. Atlus has a bunch of games on that list, so I hope I can get those games here.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

So apparently according to the website there will be play demo events and the like at certain locations before the system officially comes out.

Logically, eventually one of those places would be the Nintendo Store in Manhattan.

Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-01-23 at 10:52 AM.