New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help with playing a Nereid please

So here's the beef: I want to play a Nereid (water nymph, from Stormwrack) in an upcoming campaign starting at level 6. I'm not sure what we're doing for ability scores yet, but purely for hypothetical planning let's just say standard point buy, and/or 28 and/or 32; where should I put my ability scores?

I was thinking of going into a martial class when we hit level 7, maybe archery ranger to get good use of that +6 dex, I'd also like to get some use out of the drowning touch ability.

So I guess what I want to know is:
    1. How should I prioritize ability scores (remember that I kind of want to be a martial class, so strength probably shouldn't be completely neglected).

2. What classes do you think are best for nereids?

3. How do I get the best use out of the nereid's special abilities, and keep them useful as long as possible?

4. Assuming standard gold for sixth level, what kind of equipment should I buy (also remember that nereids don't start with any armor proficiency)?

Also, does anyone know if the DC of their drowning touch increases with class level hit dice, or only racial hit dice?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and I am open to roleplaying and background suggestions as well (what would make a nereid leave the comfort of the sea and adventure?).

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Help with playing a Nereid please

Bump... 'cause I know you want to help me with this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

What martial classes are you considering? ToB or standard?

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well all it's powers are charisma based, so crank that up. And since your CHA is so high, level up in things that use it, like paladin, bard, favored soul, spirit shaman, or even Marshall. A dip in cloistered cleric with the water domain for 2 kinds of turning would be right up their ally too.

But I'd advise against playing one. Having only 3d6 + CON for HP at 6th level is dicey enough, but the "disarm you and you die an hour later or become someone's slave" is seriously going to suck. (I'd have one of the other PC's "enslave" you, actually, to get around that.)
    Last edited by gbprime; 2010-12-03 at 04:28 PM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    What martial classes are you considering? ToB or standard?
    Well, like I said I'm kind of rolling around the idea of a ranger, but I'm open to suggestions, and almost all official sources are open (probably no Dragon Magazine).

@gbprime: It's true that charisma is very important, but on the other hand I don't know how practical it would be to play a spellcaster who's six levels behind the party. A paladin of freedom or something could be pretty awesome though.

Also, the nereid's 'unique disadvantage' is one of the things that makes me want to play one; I'm looking forward to seeing how/if the DM tries to exploit it. On the other hand, being enslaved by one of my fellow adventurers is a decent idea as well (explains why I'm traveling in the first place).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    Also, the nereid's 'unique disadvantage' is one of the things that makes me want to play one; I'm looking forward to seeing how/if the DM tries to exploit it. On the other hand, being enslaved by one of my fellow adventurers is a decent idea as well (explains why I'm traveling in the first place).
    Taking a nereid's shawl means my character would have to get close to and possibly grapple/pin a creature that has a Save-or-Die touch attack (drowning = unavoidable-by-RAW death in 3 rounds) with a DC based on Charisma, and the nereid starts with a +6 ability modifier on Charisma. No thanks, I think she can keep her shawl.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

And the whole attack is circumvented by a Water Breathing spell... not an uncommon thing in a Stormwrack-centered campaign. Nasty, but avoidable.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I think Ranger really is not a bad choice for a somewhat fragile race with considerable LA. If you take the ranged combat route, the lack of hp is not that bad and you also don't lack behind in caster level.
    My other ideas would be rogue or bard, but going with a skill heavy class seems like a very good idea.

Are you allowed LA buy off?
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-12-04 at 08:46 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Taking a nereid's shawl means my character would have to get close to and possibly grapple/pin a creature that has a Save-or-Die touch attack (drowning = unavoidable-by-RAW death in 3 rounds) with a DC based on Charisma, and the nereid starts with a +6 ability modifier on Charisma. No thanks, I think she can keep her shawl.
    Hah, very true; it would basically have to be done by something that doesn't breathe (or prepares water breathing for that purpose), either that or someone with very high fortitude saves who gets lucky.

I'm not sure if we're using LA buy off or not. Does anyone know if class levels increase the DC of a creature's supernatural abilities or not? If not, are there some other good ways I could increase them?

And what should I spend my 13,000 (?) gp on? Should I buy weapons I'm not proficient with yet so I have them when I take my first class level?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    Does anyone know if class levels increase the DC of a creature's supernatural abilities or not? If not, are there some other good ways I could increase them?
    In general, no. The description of the supernatural ability will tell you if it scales up by HD. This one doesn't: "The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus." DC 11 + 3 (Charisma 16) + 2 (racial bonus) = 16.

If you use point-buy and give yourself an 18 there, and you can add another Cha +4 with the magic-blooded template (Dragon #306, LA +0) and the unseelie fey template (Dragon Compendium, LA +0). Dip cleric for the Charm Domain and you can buff your Charisma by +4 for 1 minute. Add Ability Focus (Monster Manual) to increase the DC by +2. That gets your save DC up to about... 24 at ECL 7. Ok, not that impressive for a Fort save, but there's no daily limit on it either.

For a Charisma-based melee character... Crusader (ToB) is probably your strongest option. Paladin might also work, but the good stuff doesn't kick in until around Paladin 4 or 5, and with your RHD and LA that's going to be a really long haul. Bard with Snowflake Wardance, Arcane Strike, and Slippers of Battledance could be interesting. You could try:

Bard 4/Fighter 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6

or

Bard 4/Crusader 1/Abjurant Champion 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 1/Sublime Chord 1/JPM +9

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    Darth Vader was a a Nereid?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    Darth Vader was a a Nereid?
    Brilliant! With Spectral Hand maybe?