Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 323
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SurlySeraph's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Department of Smiting
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    I'm potentially in as a competitor. Hope my possibly-original idea hasn't already been thought of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Grynning's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Wow, that many competitors!? Drunken Master sure seems to be popular.

    Hmm...I'd think about being a judge, but I'd go with hiding my criteria. Mostly because I want people to surprise me, not please me. Also, it would make people think about interesting stuff without the worry of choosing one thing or another.

    However, I'll probably be forced to unleash my criteria one way or another. I'd also be far too verbose as a judge, though that would allow a very stringent analysis of each build and how the fluff supports or bolsters the idea; look it at the full package. I find that, by looking at the judges' criteria, stuff gets lost: I don't recall Iron Chef (the actual Iron Chef TV programs, both in Japan and in America) judges ever reveal their criteria, other than "surprise me" and "this better taste good".

    So...I'll let the organizers and the other judges decide whether I can be a mystery judge or if I'll be forced to show my criteria so that people attempt to "amuse" me. I'd rather see a risqué build, done with an idea in mind, rather than something to appease the competition. But then again, I'm not entirely free of guilt in trying to do that, so...

    I didn't used to post criteria, but since the contest started allowing disputes of scores (usually on rules grounds) it's a good idea to let people know up front what will fly and what won't. Criteria aren't strictly enforced or anything, but for the competitors it's good to know if you are going to dock in elegance because you dislike Unearthed Arcana or hit them in power if they are a basic core melee fighter (those are JUST EXAMPLES guys, not my actual criteria, you can read it above).
    Bahamut said knock you out!



    Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

    A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned
     
    true_shinken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    So...I'll let the organizers and the other judges decide whether I can be a mystery judge or if I'll be forced to show my criteria so that people attempt to "amuse" me. I'd rather see a risqué build, done with an idea in mind, rather than something to appease the competition. But then again, I'm not entirely free of guilt in trying to do that, so...
    What Grynning said. Also, I believe I only had my criteria posted once while I was judging. So I believe you could, yes, be a 'mystery judge'.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    I don't know if it's just me, but I sometimes have trouble following the code columns in the table. So I made a slight modification to it - use it if you like.

    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

    1st|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    2nd|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    3rd|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    4th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    5th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    6th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    7th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    8th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    9th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    10th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    11th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    12th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    13th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    14th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    15th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    16th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    17th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    18th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    19th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

    20th|New Class Level|
    +BaB
    |
    +Fort
    |
    +Ref
    |
    +Will
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2010-11-17 at 08:03 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned
     
    true_shinken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Hm, I do share your concerns. Adumbration. Filling the tables is a major pain and sometimes it leads to mistakes. We need the organization, though.
    I like Adumbration's table, I believe it could be an alternative to teh one we use... but having different tables might confuse judges and contestants alike. So I really dunno.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Hm, I do share your concerns. Adumbration. Filling the tables is a major pain and sometimes it leads to mistakes. We need the organization, though.
    I like Adumbration's table, I believe it could be an alternative to teh one we use... but having different tables might confuse judges and contestants alike. So I really dunno.
    I just switched +x with relevant sections, for my own use. Figured might as well post it here in case someone else has similar problems.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    The Drunken Master's Improved Improvised weapons ability allows him to use long weapons as reach weapons according to their length. Complete Warrior's section on Improvised Weapons states that long weapons have 10 foot reach and must be used two-handed. Does the Drunken Master's ability then mean:

    1. Drunken Masters, unlike other improvised weapon users, can use long weapons with greater than 10 foot reach.

    2. Drunken Masters, unlike other improvised weapon users, can use long weapons without using them two-handed.

    3. Both.

    or 4. Neither?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Amphetryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    The Drunken Master's Improved Improvised weapons ability allows him to use long weapons as reach weapons according to their length. Complete Warrior's section on Improvised Weapons states that long weapons have 10 foot reach and must be used two-handed. Does the Drunken Master's ability then mean:

    1. Drunken Masters, unlike other improvised weapon users, can use long weapons with greater than 10 foot reach.

    2. Drunken Masters, unlike other improvised weapon users, can use long weapons without using them two-handed.

    3. Both.

    or 4. Neither?
    Good question. My reading of it thus far has been 4. Neither, but I'm interested in the official ruling for the contest.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV.

    Who made my awesome Dwarf Hexblade avatar, you ask? BRC did!
    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Grynning's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    I would interpret it to mean that "reach weapons according to the their length" means if the weapons are long enough, they are reach weapons, which double your natural reach. There are no provisions in the rules for melee weapons with a longer reach except the whip and whip dagger, which really work more like ranged weapons.

    As for using them one handed - I would say there are some things you could use as an improvised whip, but they would follow the rules for a whip, provoking AoO's and whatnot. Any larger items (like the ladder mentioned as an example) would require two hands.

    In other words, use common sense.

    Edit: Just noticed something else - the text says "improvised weapons with many protrusions (such as chairs) provide a +2 bonus on opponents' disarm attempts." That seems like an editing mistake as it's supposed to be an "improvement" and the other weapons in the game with "protrusions" like the sai provide a bonus on YOUR disarm attempts. If anyone for whatever reason is going with a disarm focused build, I will happily go with the probable RAI on this (that it's supposed to give you the bonus, not the bad guy).
    Last edited by Grynning; 2010-11-17 at 02:04 PM.
    Bahamut said knock you out!



    Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

    A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    I would interpret it to mean that "reach weapons according to the their length" means if the weapons are long enough, they are reach weapons, which double your natural reach. There are no provisions in the rules for melee weapons with a longer reach except the whip and whip dagger, which really work more like ranged weapons.

    As for using them one handed - I would say there are some things you could use as an improvised whip, but they would follow the rules for a whip, provoking AoO's and whatnot. Any larger items (like the ladder mentioned as an example) would require two hands.

    In other words, use common sense.
    The one reason I don't think that "use common sense" is a useful guide here is that the base rules are already supposed to be based on common sense. Either you say that Drunken Master abilities use common sense but all other improvised weapon users don't (so the difference would be something like Drunken Masters using whiplike objects while others can't), or the normal rules are based on a commonsense idea of what you can do with an object and Drunken Masters have superhuman abilities with improvised weapons. The latter seems like the intent of the class. So I don't see the ability adding nothing to their capabilities, or adding something largely unrelated to the text like whip use.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Grynning's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV


    Normal people can't use an improvised weapon to gain reach, or any sort of special weapon property other than using it do lethal damage. That's what the Drunken Master class feature does. The "weapon" still has a size and requires an appropriate number of hands.

    I'm really not sure what you're arguing here. From my standpoint, if someone claimed this class feature lets you dual wield ladders or tables in their build, one in each hand, I'd say "no, that's not how it works" and dock in elegance.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2010-11-17 at 02:16 PM.
    Bahamut said knock you out!



    Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

    A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    T.G. Oskar's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    I didn't used to post criteria, but since the contest started allowing disputes of scores (usually on rules grounds) it's a good idea to let people know up front what will fly and what won't. Criteria aren't strictly enforced or anything, but for the competitors it's good to know if you are going to dock in elegance because you dislike Unearthed Arcana or hit them in power if they are a basic core melee fighter (those are JUST EXAMPLES guys, not my actual criteria, you can read it above).
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    What Grynning said. Also, I believe I only had my criteria posted once while I was judging. So I believe you could, yes, be a 'mystery judge'.
    Hah! Then I shall be a mystery gourmand judge, even if my name is known! What shall be unknown is my criteria to judge, though I will surely deck for stuff that's on the main rules, of course. It's not like I'll allow everything.

    But really, surprise me. Stuff isn't fun when you're not opening your books for everything and really using your mind. Of course, that doesn't mean all judges will like it, but hey, it's good to try something different without trying to exactly please ;)
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    The prevalent assumption that I have seen on CO boards is #1, that a drunken master can use exceptionally long items to grant exceptional reach beyond +5 ft depending on that length of the item. A 50ft ladder would grant 50 ft reach. As it really is the only useful or interesting ability they get other than drink link a demon, which takes a while to use with move actions, I would strongly argue for this ruling...otherwise the abilities are rather bland.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post

    Normal people can't use an improvised weapon to gain reach, or any sort of special weapon property other than using it do lethal damage. That's what the Drunken Master class feature does. The "weapon" still has a size and requires an appropriate number of hands.
    Look at page 158 of Complete Warrior. Normal people can use improvised weapons to gain reach, as well as several other benefits. Since this is in the same book as the Drunken Master, I would assume that the Drunken Master is assumed to use these rules for improvised weapons. This makes sense, as most of the Drunken Master Improved Improvised Weapons abilities are upgrades from these rules: tables can be tower shields instead of just giving a +2 shield bonus, and objects with protrusions give an extra +2 to disarm. The only one that doesn't seem to be an upgrade is the use for reach, which is why I'm curious as to what the upgrade was intended to be. Dual-wielding seems silly, but unlimited reach might be closer to the intent.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Grynning's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Rancor1 View Post
    The prevalent assumption that I have seen on CO boards is #1, that a drunken master can use exceptionally long items to grant exceptional reach beyond +5 ft depending on that length of the item. A 50ft ladder would grant 50 ft reach. As it really is the only useful or interesting ability they get other than drink link a demon, which takes a while to use with move actions, I would strongly argue for this ruling...otherwise the abilities are rather bland.
    No...just no...you can't even wield a 50 ft. ladder. That'd be the equivalent of a Gargantuan weapon at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Improvised Weapons

    Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object. To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.
    I know "size category" generally refers to handedness, but simple logic dictates that extends to the actual size of the weapon as well.
    Bahamut said knock you out!



    Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

    A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    ...that is exactly why it is an improvised weapon. The ability doesn't say anything about weight, so a medium creature is still limited to 50 lbs for a 2h'd weapon by the improvised weapon rules. But if you could find a 100 ft item that weighed less than 50 lb I would think it would be wieldable as an improvised weapon.
    Last edited by Rancor1; 2010-11-17 at 02:41 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Grynning's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Rancor1 View Post
    ...that is exactly why it is an improvised weapon. The ability doesn't say anything about weight, so a medium creature is still limited to 50 lbs for a 2h'd weapon by the improvised weapon rules. But if you could find a 100 ft item that weighed less than 50 lb I would think it would be wieldable as an improvised weapon.
    Do you know what leverage is? I hate to kill catgirls here, but you can't effectively swing something that long, regardless of its weight.

    If you are larger in size category yourself, you can wield bigger things, sure. But there's nothing in the rules here that indicate you can do more than double your natural reach with a reach weapon.
    Bahamut said knock you out!



    Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

    A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Amphetryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    As far as I can tell, the Improvised Weapons abilities of Drunken Master are there as damage boosters, plain and simple.

    Of course, that could just be the alcohol talking.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV.

    Who made my awesome Dwarf Hexblade avatar, you ask? BRC did!
    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    What does real world physics have to do with a magical world with super human heroes? No one in the real world could wield it...but a hero that can dead lift 5,000 lbs?...why not? Of course it would have to fit in the confines of the environment.
    By the improvised weapon rules you could wield a 10 ft+ item as an improvised weapon it would just grant normal reach as a reach weapon. The drunken master is a special case where they (arguably) get more.


    You can't flurry with them, you can't enhance them (I wouldn't think you could, they aren't weapons)...even with the extra 1d12 damage you would do better sticking with unarmed strikes.
    Last edited by Rancor1; 2010-11-17 at 02:51 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned
     
    true_shinken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Rancor1 View Post
    You can't flurry with them, you can't enhance them (I wouldn't think you could, they aren't weapons)...even with the extra 1d12 damage you would do better sticking with unarmed strikes.
    Well, you can't enhance unarmed strikes either. ^^
    Sadly, Drunken Master is not mentioned in CW's errata.
    Since the Drunken Master's improvised weapons deal more damage than his unarmed strike, the only thing you can't do with them is use flurry of blows (though, of course, there might be a way around that). The example character just mentions 'long items have reach', so I'll understand that 'according to their lenght' just means 'it needs to be this large to grant reach'.
    So, no 50ft reach ladders. And yes, chairs give the +2 bonus to Drunken Masters, not their opponents.
    Man, this is an editing mistake that I never expected to see. If you just use the improvised weapon rules + Drunken Master, it makes sense. But if you use CW's improvised weapon rules... then it's a mess. O.o Talk about poor editing.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-11-17 at 03:42 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Man, this is an editing mistake that I never expected to see. If you just use the improvised weapon rules + Drunken Master, it makes sense. But if you use CW's improvised weapon rules... then it's a mess. O.o Talk about poor editing.
    So for the purposes of this competition, which improvised weapon rules are we assuming?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned
     
    true_shinken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    So for the purposes of this competition, which improvised weapon rules are we assuming?
    CW is a lot more complete. So let's use that. The only thing we need to clarify is that 50ft ladders would only double your natural reach.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    With regards to flurry...With the editing issues with the drunken master do we really want to get into the editing mistakes on a supposedly 3.5 prestige class that references 3.0 monk base attack abilities? And if so, is the official ruling to assume that everything it says is nonsense and just that it allows flurry to work?

    Also, if you use a large improvised weapon that would do 2d6 damage by the CW rules are you forced to use the 1d6 unarmed strike damage (if that is all you have) by the Drunken master rules?


    ...my main build is shot. 50 ft poles would have been fun...argh.
    Last edited by Rancor1; 2010-11-17 at 03:47 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    CW is a lot more complete. So let's use that. The only thing we need to clarify is that 50ft ladders would only double your natural reach.
    Ok, so again just clarifying, we're saying that Drunken Masters gain no extra abilities with improvised reach weapons from their Improved Improvised Weapons class feature?

    Also, does the bonus from using a pronged object to disarm as described in that class feature stack with the bonus described in the Complete Warrior rules? So in total they'd have +4 to disarm, like a Sai?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Private-Prinny's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    If you did enhance your unarmed strikes (Amulet of Mighty Fists/Necklace of Natural Weapons), would those bonuses extend to improvised weapons, since they deal "as much damage as your unarmed strike plus an extra 1d4 points"?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."


  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Rancor1 View Post
    ...my main build is shot. 50 ft poles would have been fun...argh.
    Aim for the stars! Rope comes in 300 ft lengths!
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it would have been fairly arbitrary reach depending on the environment. Metamorphosis doesn't have a limit on the size/shape of the object....

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned
     
    true_shinken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    If you did enhance your unarmed strikes (Amulet of Mighty Fists/Necklace of Natural Weapons), would those bonuses extend to improvised weapons, since they deal "as much damage as your unarmed strike plus an extra 1d4 points"?
    They would extend to damage, I believe, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Ok, so again just clarifying, we're saying that Drunken Masters gain no extra abilities with improvised reach weapons from their Improved Improvised Weapons class feature?

    Also, does the bonus from using a pronged object to disarm as described in that class feature stack with the bonus described in the Complete Warrior rules? So in total they'd have +4 to disarm, like a Sai?
    Yeah, no extra abilities from improvised reach weapons and it stacks to +4.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Grynning's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    I see, I had forgotten that CW expands on improvised weapons and says that basically anyone can do what the Drunken Master's "Improved Improvised Weapon" feature does. So I can see how people would think that it was supposed to add greater reach. Sadly, I don't think the wording of the ability supports that, and it certainly doesn't let you wield larger weapons than you normally could (even though there is a disconnect in D&D between size and reach). All the feature does, as far as I can tell, is let you use tables as tower shields.

    My example of using an improvised whip was just as me constructing a situation where I could see a one-handed reach weapon working.

    Edit: Just to clarify, I am not one of those "Everything must be realistic, melee can't have nice things" people (I love ToB, the sword and sorcery genre, and melee characters in general), I was just saying that I don't think the ability does that within the rules.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2010-11-17 at 04:47 PM.
    Bahamut said knock you out!



    Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

    A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XV

    My interpretation of improvised weapons was completely different.

    Basically I thought it simply allowed the monk to fight 'unarmed' while holding mundane objects. Flagons, cups, adventuring gear, whatever. They are an extension of their unarmed ability. Not a typical armed attack. The fact that they can adapt that ability to a variety of objects and environments dos not mean they are actually wielding the weapon as 'normal.' If that were the case, the description should have refereed to the chapter on improvised weapons in the same book.

    I mean, just because Jackie Chan uses a pinball machine in a fight scene does not mean he is using less Wushu...It just means his wushu is good enough to incorperate a pinball machine in a beatdown on someone.

    Of course it could just be typical WoTC editing, or a misinterpretation by me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •