New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part III [4E]

The mountain of the Shepherd sits cross-legged upon his bed, his hands clasped together palm-to-palm before his chest. A sort of protective bubble surrounds him, the air itself unable to disturb the sphere of calm stillness. Motes of dust and light surround him in a cloud frozen in time.

A gray eye cracks open, the pupil spinning and rushing to meet Aramil's face. The motes resume their motion, fluttering to the ground, time grinding into its proper rhythm once more. The rock face of his lips break apart, twisting into a familiar smile.

"I am."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Zyrr is just finishing his own preparations - Aramil may catch him packing away a mortar and pestle, stuffing glass containers of various tan-hued substances into a satchel with some cloth.

"Quite. No offense to your family, but I feel more like a prisoner the longer we stay. By the end of the day the guards might not let me leave the building for the embarrassment I will bring."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan stretches and rises. He washes his face in the washbasin (assuming there is one, then changes his pajamas into traveling clothes. He packs, and makes sure that he's well armed. "I'm ready when you are," he says once he's done.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick finishes tucking his belongings away for travel. "There is one more thing I suggest we do before leaving. This alarm you found mention of, I have to believe there is a way to bypass it. I would rather not go into what will quite probably be hostile territory and immediately announce our presence. Do you know of anyone around here who might know of a way to get past it Aramil?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Eltain was the one who found that, thankyouverymuch. ;) )

Eltain wakes blearily and as usual mutters darkly about the barbarism of sleep before joining the others.

"Yeah, that bothered me when I found it. I'd feel better if we could try to find something further to keep us from setting that alarm off. I'm going to head to the library for a bit, I think." He quickly washes up, brushing his hair. He decides to shave again and reappears, beardless and with his armor shifted into a casual sky blue and silver outfit.

"Three heads are better than one, perhaps you'd like to come with me, Pavick, Aramil?" He waits for their response and then heads off, privately hoping to run into Toveliss again before the group leaves.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2011-01-13 at 11:22 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick shrugs his shoulders. "Yeah, I guess I can help look around. Nimo always had me digging up stuff in his library, so I've had plenty of practice. Maybe I can find something." He begins trudging toward the door. "I was hoping for a little quicker way, but if this is what it takes, then this is what we'll do."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC:

To search through the Library for the key, give me an int check, arcana check, and history check.

To try and find someone, give me a Wis check, Diplomacy check, and Streetwise check.

You can only try one or the other, either you're spending time in the library, or you're searching the house & the town to find someone who might know.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Is that each of us can only try one or the other, or the party as a whole can only try one or the other?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    OOC: Is that each of us can only try one or the other, or the party as a whole can only try one or the other?
    OOC: Each of you can only try one or the other. Pavick's History/Arcana roll was unbelievable, so basically what that translates into is that if someone else in the library can find the correct book (the int roll), Pavick will have no problem figuring out what to do next. If some of the more social members of the team want to go out and start asking around, you're still able to do that.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

You make your way back to the library for another round of research. Shep finds the copy of the misleading animal husbandry book, and Eltain's attempt to find the book of erotic poetry again proves futile, although he does find the illustrated Dwarven edition. The librarian is kind enough to direct you to the nearest wash-basin to clean your eyes out.

Aramil does stumble across an old diary of an eladrin general, and after a bit of study, and a few brilliant deductions by Pavick, the swordmage and the wizard find the password: Durairaj

OOC: It is currently mid-afternoon, anything else you want to take care of before you leave?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Bored with the library, Lucan does some information gathering his way--talking to the people around the grounds and asking questions.

Spoiler
    Show

Since we already have the password, I'm not explicitly asking for that, just trying to find out more about the place we're going.

Streetwise - (1d20+13)[28]

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Lucan asks around, most have never heard of the city, a few here and there express opinions. A few members of the guard lament it's passing, as apparently it was once a significant stronghold that has now fallen into decay. A few regard Lucan with suspicion, as apparently looters have been a problem since the city was abandoned. One older Eladrin can actually provide a rough description of the city, that she had heard from her father who had battled there. The teleportation circle should take you to the bottom of the central tower of the city. Outside the tower, three separate walls built from solid rock and fortified with magic helped defend the tower against any invasions. There are 4 separate gates that lead out of the city, each connecting to major Feydark cave networks, adding to the strategic importance of the city in the ancient wars.

The final bit of information that Lucan finds is that apparently in the middle of the city, there is a pit that is rumored to descend forever, which is thought to be the same pit that the famous tragic character Ephraim threw himself into after finding that his love had been murdered. The story of Ephram became a famous Eladrin ballad, and the song is well known among bards, and is one that Lucan himself had learned during some of his training (although the song made no mention of the name of the city).
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-01-14 at 05:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313

Once the game-plan is hatched, Zyrr soon disappears to do his own mysterious activities in the party common room. After all others have left, a fair-haired eladrin is spotted leaving the complex.

While Lucan is making his information-gathering rounds, he sees a ghost. The recently-deceased Agrawal is up and about again, enjoying the recounting of his heroics and asking for information on his next quest of do-goodery.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, that's Zyrr. Using Flawless Disguise to impersonate the recently famous hero. (Bluff - (1d20+17)[35] check opposed by Insight)

With that little modification, Wisdom - (1d20-1)[14] (+4 for half-level =18), Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[15], and Streetwise - (1d20+7)[21]. Let's see what this development turns up.
    Last edited by Toric; 2011-01-14 at 06:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Hurrying back to the others to report his information, Lucan comes across a very much alive Agrawal. He stops dead in his tracks, staring, then immediately turns and goes the other way. As soon as he's out of sight, he dashes to the library.

Bursting through the door, and knocking a few books from the shelves in the process, he slides to a halt, panting. "Agrawal!" It would be a shout, but he's so breathless that it's barely above a whisper. "Back . . . Undead!" He points in the general direction where he saw the resurrected eladrin.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick slams shut the book he'd just finished with and looks up with mouth agape for the length of two blinks. He leaves the book sit on the table in front of him, and slides down off his chair. He then ducks under the table to approach Lucan. "What did you just say? Agrawal has been raised as undead? How do you know? Take a few deep breaths and then tell us what the heck is going on."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As the disguised Agrawal moves through the streets (and scaring the pants off of Lucan), Zyrr suddenly hears the clip-clop of hooves, and feels a hand on his shoulder. It's the satyr, Demotress, that Eltain had met at the temple of Corellon. "Ah, I wasn't expecting to run into you again." he gives a bleating chuckle. "You were near blinded with rage last night, I'm glad to see you safe and sound. I trust you didn't do anything foolish?" the satyr asks, half-joking.

Perception DC 19
    Spoiler
    Show
    Down the street a little ways, an eladrin stops to stare at the disguised Zyrr for a moment, before turning and quickly running down a side street."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

"He probably just saw someone who looked similar and overreacted. I know Eladrin all look alike to people not familiar with them, but really, Lucan." Eltain looks at Lucan like he's looking at a particularly stupid child.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan straightens and glares at the paladin. "I have better eyes than you do, Eltain. I know you think I'm stupid, but I'm tired of your contempt." He turns to Pavick, ignoring the half-eladrin. "I guess he didn't look undead. But if he's not Agrawal raised from the dead, then he's his identical twin or someone pretending to be him. A doppelganger, maybe?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Let's focus on the task at hand, please. If Agrawal is alive and well as you say, then so long as he does nothing to harm us before we leave, his new lease on life is of no consequence to us. Now that we have the keys to our destination, we should leave immediately."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ahh, sense. Fabulous idea, Aramil. Although we are still missing our spider-kissing friend." An idea occurs to him, and he frowns. "Unless... It's the sort of thing he would do, after all, they're a bunch of sneaky backstabbing bastards... Nah, couldn't be. Well, I suppose if he shows up I'll test." He snorts. "Maybe you did see someone who looked like him, Lucan. And I suppose even I wouldn't tell the difference." He refrains from actually apologizing, but his tone is kinder. "Possibly nobody here. Well, if he does show up, a few good stabs will show things. He'll either cry uncle and reveal himself or we'll just kill him again."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2011-01-15 at 10:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

"Agrawal" gets a good glance at the satyr before averting his eyes downward, ostensibly out of shame but more just to take in the creature's appearance without gawking like a stranger. He subtly leads the priest away from the crowds he'd just been boasting to and questioning, to somewhere more private. (Assuming Demotress is wearing Correlite vestments) The somber expression on his face is only half-faked when the eladrin replies "...I'm afraid I wasn't in my right mind last night. I stole away into the night with the aim of silencing one of the race of deceivers. In the drow's tent, by Correlon I must confess I committed murder against this enemy of my people and my god. I... I don't know what to do, I'm not sure what came over me."

Spoiler
    Show
    I love double entendres.

Perception - (1d20+3)[17]

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Satyr frowns. "Yesterday you went on for half-an-hour about how you were certain this drow was deceiving everyone, and was a threat to the entire community. You said it had all been explained to you in detail, and if you didn't stop the drow, the fate of us all would be on your head. While I'm pleased you aren't taking murder lightly, do you have any reason to doubt what you said last night?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

A look of relief passes across Pavick's face as Lucan backs off a bit from his initial undead claims. He pulls his flute from one of his robe's deep pockets and begins fingering notes on it absent-mindedly and pacing back and forth before the table as he speaks. "I just don't know. I suppose there are several possibilities. A twin? I would hope Limara would have told us about one. A doppleganger? Seems like there were an awful lot of witnesses to his death for some sort of changeling to try to take his place. Resurrection? That would be a lot of time and money to go to. He would need a very well connected ally; I don't doubt that he has one, but it would be stupid for them to resurrect him this quickly and just let him go out wandering the streets."

He abruptly stops pacing and turns toward the group. "I suppose in the end, Aramil is right. As long as he isn't giving us or Zyrr any more trouble, we should just be on our way and leave him behind. Though speaking of Zyrr, if Agrawal is up and active again, we ought to check on him." He shoves the flute back into his pocket and moves toward the door, pausing as he reaches for the handle to make sure the others are ready to follow.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"If Zyrr's wandering about, he likely won't be easy to find. Just Send him a message. The time and money it takes to cast the ritual is likely less that what it would take to locate him safely."

Aramil seems to be slightly irritated by this. If Zyrr wasn't vital to his plans, he'd just leave the drow behind. It'd serve him right for wandering off when they were trying to leave as soon as possible.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Oh!" Lucan says. "I forgot to mention what I found out." He tells the others what he was able to learn about their destination.

26. - Top - End - #326

The dark face behind the pale mask smiles. It had all been explained, had it? Looks like the group's hunch of enchantment might be close to home. ....Or Agrawal and his nameless friend could have hit the Goodberry wine hard last night, but chemically-induced rage tends to come with a distinct, slurred rant which was conspicuously absent. ...Speaking of which.

"Yes yes, I remember our talk like the alcohol-fueled ranting blur that it was." The elvenkind begins to throw his arms into his dialogue, as story, character, and projected stress build momentum. "But when I was there. When I actually did the deed. Something felt... off. As soon as my blade plunged into him I could tell. This thing wasn't a monster subverting the entire summer court to its whims, it was a rude party-crasher who never approached the engaged and all but offered to buy me a drink. I barely managed to escape, left the one called Zyrr for dead and... now here I am, covering up my bloody hands while I try to piece together what happened."
    He raises his arms up in exasperation and lets them fall to his sides. "I wouldn't normally do this." I assume he wouldn't anyway. I hope you assume likewise. "I'm a hero not an assassin." Not for the moment, anyway. "I try to think back to what I did between the social event and our talk, and what words could convince me to carry this out in such a low way but nothing comes. Did I tell you? Did I tell you who I talked to? I need to retrace my steps. I just... I need to know. I need to know that I did the right thing, I need to know why I did it and I need to know I did it under my own convictions in the name of Correlon. I dare not speak what it is I suggest but I have to know it's wrong." "Agrawal" looks up to meet the satyr's eyes, with the grave expression he's never been able to hold while being honest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+12)[23] to maintain the act and carry it in a direction where helping Agrawal in his "Dude Where's My Car" scenario is the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Toric; 2011-01-17 at 12:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick waves off Aramil's suggestion. "Bah. We don't even know that he is out wandering around. Nobody has been back to our room since we came here this morning. It's possible he's just sitting around waiting for us. I know if I were a drow around here, especially given the murder attempt last night, I wouldn't want to be out and about too much. It would probably take as long to cast the spell as to walk back and check on him ourselves. I'm going to go back. If he's not there, then I'll consider the ritual."

He opens the library door and sets off for their bedchambers from the previous night.

Spoiler
    Show

It just seems too wasteful to Pavick to use Sending as a first means of communication. He didn't grow up in the wealth that Aramil did.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Satyr frowns. "Really? You didn't strike me as intoxicated. That being said, I don't always have a good feel for how little wine you fey can take." He grins, and gives another bleating laugh, but seeing that "Agrawal" is serious, the laugh falls a bit short. "Let's see, you said that you and your elf friend Aveeno had confronted the drow, but had decided that the situation was under control until you talked to some of the other party goers, who "helped you see the web of deception" that the drow was weaving. You came to me, explaining that you had a weapon to help kill the drow, but asked for the blessing of Corellon." The Satyr's eyes narrow. "Does none of this sound familiar?"

------------------------

When Pavick arrives back at the manor, there is no sign of Zyrr anywhere, and no one seems to have remembered seeing him leave.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick takes a few minutes looking around the room. Even going to the extent of peeking around each of the curtains then looking under the beds. You never know where one of those sneaky drow will be hiding. Once he's finally satisfied himself that Zyrr isn't there, he plops himself down on a bed. "Well bugger-it." He opens his pack and begins sorting through arcane components.

After a few minutes of casting, Pavick sends Zyrr the following message. "It's Pavick. Meet us in the library and we'll set off. Be careful, Lucan might have seen that damned eladrin from last night earlier." He sits on the bed for a few more moments, waiting to get a response. Then he heads back to the library to wait.

Spoiler
    Show
    Technically I should roll an Arcana check here. But Pavick's minimum result could send the message much farther than it really needs to go.

30. - Top - End - #330

Aveeno. Nice. If the guards haven't gotten that name out of the elf they might be able to use it. "Agrawal" is about to pursue further but he gets Pavick's Sending message. He decides to play off the sudden listening pause as a sudden recollection. As Zyrr isn't sure whether replies can be sent mentally, Pavick hears the following:

"It is starting to come back to me now actually, how I gained means and motive to kill the drow. I should be on my way."

The Eladrin seems to settle down. He's still intense, but his energy is less erratic, more focused. "I suppose I just needed to go over it with you to jump-start the memories. Thank you for your time, you've absolutely enlightened me." He looks over his shoulder after turning to leave. "If you would do one more thing for me, pray for my soul's rest if you have time. I may need it."

After leaving some distance, "Agrawal" walks a short maze and doubles back into a nice, secluded alleyway Stealth - (1d20+17)[30]and opens his satchel. From it he pulls a small basin of dark tan cream. He applies it to his face and hands to change his skin color to a less fair complexion. A change of clothes and a swap of wigs to a bushy mass of curly dark hair later, a strapping young human walks out and makes his way to the library. Bluff/Disguise - (1d20+17)[33]

----
    (Assuming anybody who sees through the disguise doesn't stop him on the street)

A farm-tanned man approaches the group and gives Aramil a slap on the back much weaker than one would expect. "I hope somebody grabbed the rest of my things." says a voice totally unsuited to the pronounced cheeks and chin. "Sorry I'm late, I was doing some of my own digging. Looks like somebody did have a talk with Agrawal and the elf Aveeno. Somebody who gave them both a useful tool and a very strong reason why their dark cousins can't be tolerated here. ....I'm afraid I complicated things a little, though. We have a decision to make: am I officially alive or dead?"

Zyrr whispers to the group the rest of his story, of how he used the dead maddened Eladrin's identity to successfully fish for a lead to his motive, and awaits their responses. This is the part that will be interesting.