New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part III [4E]

DM Post

--------------Lucan---------------

Lucan's song to calm the audience goes poorly, and instead of distracting them, the throng of fans pushes forward, surrounding the bard on every side, scrambling to get to him and screaming his name. The throng is so thick and frantic to get to the bard at the center of the mass, that no one notices as a half-elf crawls out from the middle, and quickly exits out the back as the group of mad teenagers still swarm around where they believe the bard still to be.

---------------Eltain--------------

As Eltain finishes praying, he hears the slow clop of hoofbeats outside the shrine. When he turns and looks, he sees Frank the mule there, looking at him, and waiting patiently. The mule gives a whinny which is oddly comforting to the half-eladrin, and a strange feeling of peace settles over the Paladin

--------------Aramil---------------

As Aramil searches the Library, he finds a few interesting books on Arcane Lore, but nothing truly profound. He does, however, find a history of some of Lord Rex's past. Apparently, Tacitus Rex was once part of an adventuring party (that included Hubert, a Dwarven Paladin of Bahamut named Sheila Limebottom, a Human named Mich Mahale who was some devotee of the Raven Queen, and for a short while a wizard known as Nimozaran the Green). Apparently they all spent time helping drive back the Goblin invasion of 954 (roughly 20 years ago), as well as defeat some cultists of Vecna in the catacombs of Fallcrest. Just before they disbanded, they defended an ancient temple of Avandra that was under seige by the forces of Graz'zt in the mountains far to the east. They were unable to save the temple, and all inside were killed and the temple burned and looted, but they did defeat the cultists and demons. This was the same temple that Tacitus' father, Marcus, had recovered the Flame of Fortune from.

--------------Zyrr---------------

Berrian sends the message for Zyrr, and a few minutes later you see his eyes light up, and his mouth begins moving but the speech is not the normal voice you've heard from the Eladrin."Follow up. Rendezvous with Grendar in Thunderspire. Attempt to broker deal for Golems. Lethal force if need be. Also, Day-walker as messenger? Poor taste..

Berrian frowns. "Poor taste? I'm the one who should be offended." He scoffs at the message, before turning to Zyrr. "Is...ah...Is there anything else I can do for you?"

--------------Pavick---------------

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm following it loosely. There are about 10 or so in the guild, but at this point you're more powerful than almost all of them, save Nimozaran (and you could even give him a run for his money)

The older man gives a laugh. "Splended! I'll see to it that we have one of our secret decoder rings made for you soon." He extends his left hand, showing the bright blue ring on his middle finger, the symbol of the mage's guild. "And after the strides you've made, I wouldn't dream of holding you back now. By all means, keep adventuring. Actually, I was thinking that you could..." the man keeps talking, but Pavick is unable to hear him as suddenly he gets the magical tingling of someone sending a message to him, and moments later he hears a voice.

"Pavick, it's Yojend. My resistance workers ambushed. Normal escape routes destroyed; Winter Court closed off alternate route to FeyDark, refuse to reopen. Need help despirately!"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-11-23 at 01:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Once he's free, Lucan makes his way back to the Rex household.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain smiles happily at Frank's arrival and strokes the mule's mane. He chuckles.

"Well aren't we a lovely pair? You're no gleaming white thoroughbred stallion, and I'm no noble-blooded Eladrin knight. A mule and a bastard half-breed, probably of common lineage. And yet we manage to succeed where far nobler creatures fail. Maybe I am doing it wrong. But it doesn't really matter, does it? I still manage to do my duty in the end, don't I? Maybe I'm not supposed to be good, but good is beautiful, and magical, and brings about so much renewal, and those are all things that I'm supposed to protect and spread..." He rubs Frank's ears and starts walking back towards town. "Come on, let's get back. There's work to be done still, and I'm not going to get it done here."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick's small finger shoots into the air, in a gesture meant to pause the other wizard. He closes his eyes to better concentrate on the message. After a breif pause as Pavick counts the words of his message, he responds. "Message recieved. I'll talk to my friends and see if we can do anything to help. I'll contact you again soon. Good luck!"

Finally he opens his eyes again. "Sorry, I just got sent a telepathic message. I should go soon, a friend seems to be in trouble. But first, what was it you were trying to tell me?"
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-11-24 at 11:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Zyrr can't mask his feelings with a wry expression this time. Berrian's response leaves him looking genuinely worried.

"Now that's a problem. I didn't expect them to send me personally, at this moment." He shrugs as he continues muttering. "I guess this means we'll go to Thunderspire next."

His voice returns to its normal volume and he bows to Berrian. "Thank you, you've done plenty. ...If you could just tell me where I might find the new Lord Rex?"

Whether under armed guard or not, Zyrr finds Tyrranus and says casually "So you see I've gained a new sword. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to use it. I have a hunch you can point me to a good sparring partner, if you're not busy."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

--------------Pavick---------------

Nimozaran arches an eyebrow, and his eye twinkles. "I was saying that I was hoping you could help me with a more personal issue." He leans forward. "I just need for you to tell your mother to stop writing to me. Over the last two weeks she's sent me at least 6 letters demanding that her little Pavickins, the "Savior of the City" be immediately inducted into the mage guild and be given the keys to the city." He rolls his eyes. "We haven't even had keys for the city gates in over 40 years..."

--------------Zyrr---------------

Zyrr finds Tyrannus as he emerges out of the basement where Oedipus is being kept. At hearing the Drow's request, Tyrannus gives a grin. "Come, I could use the practice myself." and he takes Zyrr to the grounds behind the manor, and begins showing him some of the forms used with the Bastard Sword.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain wanders past Zyrr and Tyrannus upon his return, and smirks as he watches the drow's uncertain use of his new sword. He pats his own smaller longsword and thinks to himself that it isn't the size of the blade, but rather how you use it, that counts.

He returns Frank to the stables and spends some time grooming him before going to the library with the intent to see what he can find on the history of Fallcrest and some maps, to attempt to determine what sort of place would be most likely as a potential site of a Corellite temple. He runs across Aramil and waves to him.

"Ahh, Aramil! Not surprised to find you here. I've decided that this city needs a proper temple to Corellon and I figured I would see if I could find anything on the city's history or some good maps, try to work out a likely place for a future site." He smiles cheerfully. "How are you holding up? I suppose having to leave the Feywild again so soon after being away so long was hard for you... But even so, remember that even if it isn't as pretty here, that there is still much beauty in this world, and much that can be done. This world's races have done much in the way of magical research that the fey have never even thought to do, and thus they honor Corellon without even perhaps knowing it through their creations and renewal of magic." He seems happier than he has in a long time.

(OOC: I couldn't resist.)
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

8. - Top - End - #38

Zyrr pays careful attention to the one-handed forms, mirroring them as best he can, reasoning out the least tiring way to carry the weapon and the most effective swings to leverage his limited strength into a powerful cut. He all but ignores the two-handed stances, considering them little more than a way to rest his main arm between the more vicious strikes.

As Eltain walks by, Zyrr starts to feel more confident, and decides to experiment by drawing a dagger in his left hand and practicing a swing of the sword and a parry with the knife. On his second attempt at this improvised fighting style the swing throws him off balance, sending the dagger twirling into the air, landing at the ground where the paladin's left foot was four seconds ago, blade down. The drow slaps the side of his own head for his clumsiness, cheerfully strides across the training grounds and pulls the dagger out, to resume his one-weapon training.
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-11-24 at 04:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick looks down at the ground, his cheeks reddening. "I'm sorry. I'll have a word or two with her before I leave town. I may tell her that I have already got the ring and keys to the city just to get her off everyone's back." Pavick uses prestidigitation to conjure a ring similar to Nimozaran's and a large decorated key in quick succession to emphasize his point.

"But back to my main point in coming, I was hoping I could get a ritual from you or someone within the guild. Does anyone know the sending ritual by any chance? I think it could come in very handy." He hefts a small bag of gold, showing his willingness to pay for access to the spell.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Nimozaran gives a smile "Luckily for you, guild members only have to pay half price." He leads Pavick up to the 2nd floor of the tower where the communal Library is, and allows pavick to buy the ink and other necessary items to copy the ritual.

OOC: Pavick can either respond to the message he received as part of the original casting, or he can choose to cast it again once he learns it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick follows Nimozaran upstairs where he spends the necessary time to copy the ritual down in his spellbook. Then he thanks the old man one more time before hurrying out to his parent's tailor shop.

On the way there, he plans out his tactics for dealing with them. He throws open the door to the shop. "Mom, dad, I'm home. Just thought I'd stop by to say hi. Don't have much time to talk, sorry about that. Since I got back into town, everybody wants to see me. Nimozaran the Green invited me to become a full member of the guild. Then they gave me a key to the city." He fishes the "ring" from one of his robes deep pockets, shows it off for a moment, then drops it back in. Then he does the same with a large decorative key. "Now I've just been sent a message by magic from a gentlegnome named Yojend. Very high up in the gnomish resistance movement back in the feywild. He's in need of emergency help getting some of his freedom fighters out of a very sticky situation. So, it's been lovely to see you, but I really must go." He is just about to hurry out again, when a tiny bit of guilt tugs at his heart for not spending more time with his parents. He pauses before leaving.

(Of course this all assumes his parents are in the shop...)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Pavick's parents stand there agape as their son whirls in and out of the room, and they don't try to stop him, but somehow Pavick still finds himself with a basket of muffins for "Little Pavickins and his new hero friends." as he leaves. Even as the wizard strides away, he can still see both of them in the window, waving and beaming with pride.

------------------------------

Two days pass, but that evening, at the Rex manor, dinner is once again shared by all. As the kobald scurries around bringing dessert to everyone, Hubert speaks "First off, I thought you should know that we've decided to grant the Deva's request. He and Oedipus will both be executed in 3 days from now." From the corner, Tyrannus grunts in satisfaction, but Hubert gives a thoughtful frown. "I dislike it, but it is not my decision to make." Tzunk, sitting in a corner gives a relieved smile.

There's an awkward moment that passes before Hubert clears his throat and speaks again. " I discussed the situation about the Incubus with some of the high-priests of Bahamut. They are concerned, as I am, and have communicated with the temple in Sigil asking them to investigate. I have faith in the members of that order to do their best, but members of the priesthood aren't quite as...free in Sigil to do what they must. I personally would feel much better if you were investigating this matter, because I feel it may have dire consequences."

Berrian gives a grimace, and motions for another glass of wine to be brought to him. "I've...er...well, I followed up with some of my contacts still in the feywild, and it appears that what Pavick learned was true. Nearly all of the known entrances into the Feydark have been sealed by the Winter Court. They...ah...they claim that they are doing it for the protection of all Eladrin, and will present their evidence at the next Court of Stars, but, er...I don't like it..." Berrian gives the human a sideways glance. "Hubert and I ...we ...ah...we disagree on the importance of this event...."

Hubert returns the look before speaking again "Naturally, you're free to do what you wish. You're under no obligation to the Rex House, but we will support your decision whatever it is."
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-11-25 at 12:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I suppose the question is, 'Which matter is most urgent?'" Lucan says. "Right now, it sounds like the gnomish resistance needs the most help."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Although, personally, I think Sigil's the most interesting possibility.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"I may be a bit biased here, but we have to stop the Winter Court and help the gnomes. I'm familiar with the Winter Court, I grew up in their lands. The Feywild is my home, and the fey races are my kin."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick spares a glance to Tzunk. The gnome's face is easy to read; it shows a mixture of sorrow and a stiff upper lip, showing he knows that whatever sadness he might feel is probably for the best.

Then he turns to the rest of the group. "I think we should deal with Yojend's problem as well. It seems like its much more urgent. We've already set back the demon/devil problem a little by killing the incubus and keeping the flame out of their hands. I say let that problem stew a little longer until it is something more worthy of our considerable skills. Then perhaps we'll see what we can do investigate the problem."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain smirks at Pavick's egotism and gives Tzunk a sad but friendly smile. It still hurts him that things have come to this for the Deva, but he hopes that Tzunk will at last be able to find the peace and renewal he seeks.

17. - Top - End - #47

Zyrr thoughtfully stirs his dish of dire-frosted chocolate creme pie as he listens to the options open up and the debate begin. His exposed arms and face show several healing bruises from his sparring sessions with Tyrranus. He gives Tzunk a smile that might be seen as gentle were it on any other face, but descends into a frown when his companions begin speaking their minds.

"I think we should go to Sigil to deal with the demons. We haven't had direct conflict with the Winter Court or the Fomorians, and odds are somebody will eventually learn our involvement in the incubus's fall. Unless we present a show of power to the forces behind him, we'll eventually see their retaliation. Seek a different enemy and we'll have two power players from two planes of origin seeking our fall."
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-11-25 at 10:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I'm afraid you're forgetting one thing, Zyrr. We are in direct conflict with the Winter Court, and for the exact same reason we came into conflict with the demons, no less. A member of a noble house opposed to them, as well as a Paladin-errant from their own lands and some assorted allies, captured a valuable magic item right from under their noses and ran off with it. Specifically, in doing so, I essentially spat in their faces by rejecting their offer to me in exchange for it. I fear this attack on Pavick's gnome-friends may have been in direct response to our success, and if we travel to Sigil, I do not believe we will remain unhindered by the Winter fey there, either."

19. - Top - End - #49

Zyrr listens to Aramil with an increasingly perplexed look. As he listens, he breaks a chocolate spike and bites down on it, enjoying the rich flavor. "...I don't really see how that would make them want to kill us." the drow responds. "We didn't terminate any of their people - unless the false Iounites were working with them, which would be interesting. I turn down business offers all the time, and so long as I don't do it directly to somebody's face I usually escape unscathed - it's much more trouble to track down somebody who might have regrouped with a powerful rival like the Summer Court than to move on to the next plan. Right now there are likely Winter Court Eladrin applauding us mysterious underdogs for overcoming all competition and vanishing without a trace. It's not like we told anyone other than Yojend and Tzunk who we actually work for, right?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain gives Zyrr a pitying look.
    "You truly do not understand the Winter Court, or fey in general. There is a view that we are capricious and even random in our dealings and that we easily forget one thing and flit to the next. An ignorant view held by those whose dealings have been solely with pixies and sprites. The nobles like Certhiel are nothing like this. They are focused and have deliberate, long-ranging plans. The Prince of Frost, if he is involved in this, even more so. They will not forget, and they will find us."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-11-27 at 11:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Zyrr holds his hands up in a submissive gesture. "Fine, fine. So much for the drow perspective. So the Winter Court is our next priority, until we can hinder them enough to convince them we're not worth punishing. Which by your descriptions is.... never. Any other thoughts? Anyone? Who else wants cement a lifelong enemy?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"If it's our goal to not do that, then we shouldn't mess with the demons, either. Unless you think that annoying a countless legion of immortals is a brighter idea."

23. - Top - End - #53

"Fiends are safer. More predictable. Either they're always willing to work out a deal or they forget about you as soon as you place something else in front of them to maim. ....Kinda like drow, now that the two types of fiends are working together." He raises an eyebrow and shrugs at his own comparison.

Zyrr pushes his dessert and rests his chin on his hands on his elbows on the table. "Now seriously I have no issue with working against the Winter Court. If they're locking out the Feydark that's going to cause trouble for some friends of mine; while risky, that's an easy mode of transportation to the Feywild and a major source of transplanar trade. We stand to make many important people very happy if we can undo those seals. As for helping out the Gnomish Resistance while we're there, sure, I like Yojend. He has good taste in art from what I saw of his manor, and he looks like a good tipper."
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-11-27 at 12:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Berrian gives Hubert a smug look, but it's soon replaced with a frown. "The real question is how can you get there?" The pheasant gate is certainly out of the question. Even if the Winter Fey didn't know about it, your very sudden disappearance from Mythrassar may have repercussions if you suddenly show up there again. And once you get there, there's also a matter of finding your way to the feydark."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I suppose Yojend must know ways in and out of the feywild," Lucan says.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"And the only gate I know of is, while it goes both ways quite easily, a ways away and leads to Certhiel's lands. Not quite where I'd suggest we go. We should definitely ask Yojend," Eltain says, frowning. "Unless, gods forbid, Zyrr's associates know of some way."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-11-27 at 11:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

"I've been thinking about that." Zyrr taps his temples. "And as I said before, a lot of people would love to see the Feydark paths open again. This includes anyone I would know below. This leaves two possibilities." He raises his head and presses the tips of his fingers into the palm of his other hand. "Either the drow simply can't open this door while it's locked from the inside..." The ramming-hand backs from the wall hand and makes a shrugging gesture. "...Or they can't be bothered to open it because it's a low priority and nobody is paying them enough. Honestly, it would be smart of you to check with Yojend. In the first case, the drow cannot help us. In the second, they can help us, but we'll need to do a few things for them first to bump this matter up on the priority list. In other words, their aid won't come cheap."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"Well, I did recently learn a ritual that allows for long-range communication. Unfortunately, it requires the person on the other end to at least be on the same plane. I doubt Yojend is here for Sending to reach him. Perhaps I can check with Nimozaran or the guild to see if any of them know of another way into the feywild. Maybe they know of another ritual which will allow us to make the journey, or at least send a message across planes." He pauses for a moment, considering carefully before offering up another option. He looks down as he speaks, suddenly appearing to take a deep interest in the state of his fingernails. "I suppose I could ask my parents too. They had to come here initally somehow, maybe the gate they used is still viable." Those paying attention probably notice his cheeks subtlely reddening at this suggestion.

29. - Top - End - #59

"In the meantime I'll see what strings I can pull and whether the Feydark lockdown is as impenetrable as it's made out to be. Who knows? Maybe my kin won't charge us the leg along with the arm."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC:
    Ok, so right now there are a few different possibilities that we're pursuing:

1) Using Zyrr's contacts to go directly to the Feydark.
    2) Finding out how Pavick's parents left the feydark and crossed over to the prime plane, and trying to retrace their steps
    3) See if Yojend knows a way to the feywild, and try to find a way to the feydark from there.
    4) Take the route that Eltain took, and try and sneak through the lands of the winter fey.

It seems that 4 isn't the popular option; are there any last thoughts before we start pursuing 1-3?