New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part III [4E]

DM Post

The elf gives a low laugh as the Drow tries to slip away. "Just think, you filthy spider-kisser, your last moments will be spent thinking of how in spite of all your treachery and all the people "in-line ahead of me," you'll still die in a dank Eladrin prison cell." With a grunt, he again squeezes the chains, tightening them further around the Drow's throat. (9 damage)

Auto-hit
    Damage (3d6+3)[9] - still restrained/silenced

OOC: Escape DC is 24
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-03-21 at 12:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain looks back at the eladrin curiously, with the distinct impression that he knows something.

"Perhaps, though even if it turned out to be a nightmare I would at least finally know where I came from." He sighs and shrugs. "I get the feeling you know something I don't, but I also get the feeling you don't want to talk about it." He frowns.

"It shouldn't be too much longer, hopefully. They had some business to attend to first, but the-" He cuts off as his ears detect a noise. "Did you hear that? It sounded like some sort of struggle... I swear, that drow can't keep himself out of trouble." He frowns as he looks about for a way to see what's going on and comes up short. "There's a reason I didn't want to let him out of my sight."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Zyrr - Drow Assassin
    HP 40/60, AC 23, Fort 17, Ref 21, Will 21
    Grabbed

Purple lightning flits across the edges of Zyrr's vision, as he finds himself completely without breath. Aveeno might be right, he might die... in a fair fight. Luckily, Zyrr brought some life insurance. He abandons the chain about his neck and reaches for a hidden pocket on his vest. A dark grey blade tears out, cracks open a vial, and guides a crimson liquid into the attacking elf. Zyrr uses his free hand to undo his noose now that the man's weakened and pushes toward the door, pounding on it with his dagger hilt. "Fight in the prison cell! He tried to kill me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a free action to draw the dagger, a minor to use Bloodroot poison on it, a standard to use Poisoned Blade on the elf, and since the dazed condition is an effect that ends a grab, using a move action to shift toward the door.

Attack - (1d20+15)[22] vs AC
    Damage - (1d4+9)[13] + Finesse - (1d8)[7] + Assassin Strike - (3d10)[13] if it hits. This attack will be nonlethal should it reduce him to 10 HP.
    Regardless of hit or miss, Aveeno takes 6 poison damage, and is dazed (save ends)
    Last edited by Toric; 2011-03-21 at 01:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Eltain steps out into the hall, he can suddenly hear Zyrr's voice yelling, and pounding on the door. At the far end of the hall, the two guards exchange glances, and quickly run down the hallway, pulling out keys as they do so.

Aveeno looks down at the deep hole in his chest, the poison working it's way into his body and blood soaking the front of his shirt. Hearing the sounds of footsteps, he gives a wicked smile at Zyrr, before raising his own voice: "HELP, GUARDS! THIS DROW SNUCK IN A KNIFE AND IS TRYING TO KILL ME!"

He stumbles back to the far corner of the cell, and quickly tries to make himself look as weak and injured as possible (although given the poison and the stab wound in his stomach, there isn't much need to act).

There's a fumbling of keys in the door, before it bursts open. The two fey guards move in, swords drawn, followed closely by Eltain. The head guard quickly surveys the situation, and puts his blade to Zyrr's throat. "Drop the knife, Drow! You thought you could just come in here and murder our prisoners? I'll see to it you hang for this."

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain joins the guards, dragging the winter Eladrin with him.

"Fools. Not that I'm fond of him, but anyone can see that Zyrr's been choked. Even on black skin, the marks show up. Look." Eltain indicates the marks and dents in Zyrr's skin where the chain was wrapped around his neck. "Nothing is wrong with self-defense. It could probably have been done without poison," he looks at Zyrr disapprovingly, "but he hasn't done anything wrong. This time. Other than have a complete lack of sense."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The guard looks up at the Paladin in annoyance. He stands, not removing his blade from Zyrr's throat, and leans over to whisper in Eltain's ear. "Look, we finally have a chance to get rid of this Drow. Every time he's here he causes trouble, and you and I both know he probably deserves death ten times over. We can use this to cleanse the Feywild of his filth. No one will ever know the difference"

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

"The gods will know, and so will we. There is no beauty in such a cowardly, dispicable act, and I cannot permit it. I don't kill people simply because I find them inconvenient."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2011-03-21 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Colourz

8. - Top - End - #758

....This is quickly becoming tiresome. When the first prospect of entering Eladrin territory crossed Zyrr's mind, he was terrified. He thought he would be under constant surveillance, stripped of all possessions, and executed the first time he didn't bow to a random peasant. Now, in a fey prison with a blade to his throat, he wishes that were the case. At least it would be consistent, rather than this constant guessing of who's going to civil today. His situation still precarious, Zyrr lets the moment pass without comment for now.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The guard gives Eltain a long look. He's clearly trying to come up with some argument, but he finally just shakes his head in disgust. "Fine. But I'm holding him until this issue is sorted." He glances at the other guard. "Put him in the next cell, and get a healer down here before that one bleeds out." The elf on the floor gives a weak nod, but his face looks like he just ate something sour as he continues staring at Zyrr.

The second guard removes his sword from the Drow's throat, and lifts Zyrr to his feet. "Come on, we'll go to the next cell over." as he passes Eltain, he gives a slight nod of respect to the Paladin. The gesture doesn't go unnoticed by the first guard, who storms off down the hallway in disgust.

As the second guard leads Zyrr into the cell, he carefully slips Zyrr's dagger back into his hand, and whispers "Just in case someone tries to cause an unfortunate 'accident.'" I'll have the healer check on you as well as that lying scum next door."

He steps out of the cell, locking the door behind him. With another nod at the Paladin, he begins trotting down the hallway and up out of the dungeon to fetch someone to heal Aveeno and Zyrr's wounds.

---------------------------
    @Pavick & Lucan
    Insight DC 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that while most servants simply deliver a message and leave, Selene seems to be taking her time as she exits. She appears to be trying to listen to Pavick's reaction

10. - Top - End - #760

And again with the flip-flopping. The Eladrin race as a whole needs to just get together and decide whether they'll kill him or not. But the guard's generosity is not lost on the drow. He grips his dagger tenderly, like a teddy bear, and calls out to the guard before the inner security door closes. "You are a paragon of tolerance. Thank you. I mean that."

Door closed, Zyrr looks around to see if anyone else wants to kill him yet. Satisfied, he sits in the corner and starts massaging the skin out of his purpled neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+3)[12] just because.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick sets his flute in his lap and takes the note. He quickly reads it, a look of growing confusion on his face. "Huh... Wouldn't have expected that in a million years. Maybe it has something to do with the stuff that keeps appearing in your boot. Speaking of which, have you checked it lately? It might be worth a ritual to see if I can find out if these items are really coming from Sigil. It could be that someone else is stealing them and somehow transporting them to your foot." He holds the note out to Lucan again.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"You're hiding him because Certhiel at least would kill him. Or inflict horrors that he fears more than death. He was driving a cart bearing Tiemann from the Fomorian compound, but I should probably start with when we left here..."

Aramil relates the details of the adventure.

"...And that's when we returned."

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain turns to the Eladrin with him as he returns to the cell with him.

"Bigotry, alas, never changes, no matter where you go. Not that I've any love for the race or this one in particular, but if you're going to do it, do it." He frowns.

"I'm honestly surprised, though, speaking of doing things, that Certhiel hasn't tried to off me or worse. I didn't exactly leave her lands under the best circumstances, but so far since she's become aware of me she's merely vaguely tried to use me as leverage against Aramil. Strange for someone of her reputation." He shrugs. "Ah well. Perhaps someday you'll tell me about what you seem to suspect about me."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2011-03-21 at 11:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Yes, we should do that. We need to get this straightened out quickly, before he starts sending collectors after me," Lucan says. He sighs. "And I was beginning to think that it might have something to do with my father."

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"It still could, I guess. Really this is all a big mystery still. Why did you think it had something to do with your father? I'm not sure if I remember you mentioning him before. What would he have to do with you being accused of stealing things from a plane I doubt you've ever even visited?"

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan pulls out a piece of paper he has carefully tucked into a pouch. "This is the last thing that appeared in my boot. Do you see the symbol on it?" He pulls an amulet out of the neck of his shirt and shows it to Pavick. "It matches the symbol on this, except for the pentagon. The amulet is all I have of my father. The only clue my mother gave me."

Lucan shakes his head. "There must be some connection, but . . . I know I'm not clever. I can't figure it out on my own. Will you . . . will you help me?"

Spoiler
    Show

Desription of the mark on the paper, as described by Hzurr:
    It appears to be normal parchment, but painted on in a light red color is a strange symbol. There are three slightly wavey lines parallel to one another, with two diagonal lines crossing in the middle; and all of the lines are encased in a pentagon.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"Lucan, you give yourself far too little credit... You were clever enough to ask the smartest gnome around for help," Pavick says with a cheeky grin. He takes the parchment and rotates it three times in his hand before he is certain he has it right way up. "Certainly I'll help you."

He bites his lower lip gently as he stares at the image on the paper, wracking his brain for any idea of what it might represent. Slick pokes his head out of the shadows of Pavick's sleeve to get a look at the parchment while Pavick considers the question.

"I could try the same divination ritual I did on the eye on this parchment, or maybe even on your amulet there. It allows me to see visions of the item's past. Think it's worth a go?"

Spoiler
    Show

Just to make sure I had the image right in my mind, I did a quick sketch. Is this more or less what you had in mind?

While I'm at it, here are some knowledge rolls. I have no idea if any of them are appropriate or not, so I'm just making several.
    Arcana - (1d20+18)[29]
    History - (1d20+14)[34]
    Religion - (1d20+9)[25]
    Nature - (1d20+11)[17]

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan grins. "I don't see how it can hurt. Let's try it."

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick claps his hands together. "Alrighty then." He tucks the flute away and begins pulling out several small vials of liquids and tiny drawstring bags of powders and herbs. He digs around in his pack for a few minutes, finally withdrawing a mortar and pestel. He begins mixing the ritual components together. "Hey, you probably know enough about rituals to be helpful here, even if you don't know this one in particular. Could you give me a hand?" As he sets to work mixing a few of the powders together, he begins instructing Lucan in the basics of the ritual.

It takes a little over 2 hours in total, but Pavick and Lucan use the ritual twice, first on the parchment then on the amulet.

Spoiler
    Show

Using the Object Reading Ritual twice. If Lucan is able to assist, add 2 to each roll.

Parchment Arcana - (1d20+18)[31]
    Amulet Arcana - (1d20+18)[34]

Edit: Not that it really matters if Lucan assists successfully, I guess. Now that I see the rolls, both are already in the top category (30+).
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2011-03-22 at 12:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan helps.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana for Parchment - (1d20+8)[14]
    Arcana for amulet - (1d20+8)[19]

OOC: Y'know, I had a decent chance to hinder, rather than help.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2011-03-22 at 12:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

-----------------------
    @Aramil

Limara listens closely as Aramil tells the story of their trip through the Feydark. She doesn't interupt, and after the story is finished, she leans back, thinking about what was said. Dawn is just starting to break over the horizon before she finally speaks. "Well, let's see what this prisoner of yours has to say for himself. I'll summon the house wizard to cast a few spells to ensure the accuracy of whatever he's going to tell us." She looks up at Aramil. "You must be tired. Do you wish to accompany me for the debriefing, or would you prefer I send word once it's completed?"

-----------------------
    @Eltain

Jaquel gives Eltain a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes. "Perhaps." His face darkens, and he begins biting his fingernails, but doesn't speak again.

A few minutes later, the guard returns with a young acolyte of Sehannine. It takes Eltain a moment to recognize her, but it appears to be Shalala, the same one you met at the party (although not the one you met at the party). The young Eladrin seems annoyed as she moves into Aveeno's cell, but a moment later there's a familiar glow of divine magic emanating from the cell. She steps out, and moves into the next cell containing the drow. A moment after she enters, you hear her voice echo from out of the cell: "Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me..." However after a long moment, you again see the telltale glow. The priestess steps out, and looks at the guard. "Anyone else?" Upon hearing a negative, she marches out in a huff.

-----------------------
    @Pavick & Lucan

As Pavick casts the spell, the familiar hazy image again forms in front of him

A human with a thick handlebar mustache appears to be muttering to himself as he dips a quill into inkwells of varying colors on a large desk that looks to be made of ivory. The movements of the quill are very precise as the human slowly draws the arcane mark.

The image shifts, and you see the same man leaning over a small metal box built into the wall. The man's mouth moves, apparently saying something but the mustache makes it hard to discern what words he was forming. The lid to the box creaks open, and the man drops the parchment inside. The box lid is closed, but after a few moments the man opens it again, but this time, the parchment seems to have disappeared.

The picture shifts again, but this time you see Lucan sitting on an orange toadstool in the Feydark, holding his boot upside down. The scrap of parchment flutters out, and the bard examines it for a few minutes before returning it to the boot

The scene changes, and this time you're once again seeing the man at the ivory desk. A basin of water sits on the desk, and the man appears to be casting some sort of divination spell. In the water, you see the scrap of paper. The image in the basin zooms out, and you see Lucan riding through the Feydark, entering the tower of Ryandez. As he passes through the portal, the image in the basin appears to shatter slightly. Through the cracked picture in the water, you see yourself chanting, and the image in the basin completely shatters, and grows dark.

The final image that forms before you is the one that took place only moments before, where Lucan again empties his boot, and hands the scrap of paper to you.

The images fade as the ritual ends. Between your previous study of the symbol, and the images revealed by the ritual, you can tell that the symbol is an arcane mark, and was used as a point of focus for some sort of scrying ritual.

As you cast the ritual again, the air in front of you takes on the familiar distortion as the images form

You see two young men, apparently to be magicians of some sort. One is undoubtedly a younger version of the man you saw moments ago (although with a much less impressive mustache). The second man is tall, red-haired, clean-shaven, but has many similar features to Lucan. The pair look to have just finished crafting matching amulets. You can see that the only difference between the two is the pentagon around the mustached man's amulet. The two men look pleased with their creation, and shake hands.

The scene shifts, and you see the two men again, this time though, they're bent over a thick parchment filled with writing. It looks to be a deed or contract of some sort, and after both men sign it, they pour hot wax on the bottom, each using their own amulet as a makeshift signet ring. With a smile, the mustached man hands the now signed paper to a Githzerai who, in return, hand the pair a set of keys.

The scene shifts again, but instead of the two men, this time there's only the red-haired man visible. It appears to be dark, and the man is sneaking around with a dim lantern. The man looks around, before kneeling on the floor, and you can see that he's next to the strange box you saw earlier. In one hand, the man holds the amulet, and in the other what appears to be the papers that had previously been signed and sealed. The red-haired man begins spreading a small amount of residuum on the floor, and starts a soft chant. Suddenly, you see magical tendrils connect the papers, the box, and the amulet for a brief moment, before everything goes dark again. The red-haired man gives a sly smile, before blowing out the lantern.

The next image is shockingly bright. The red-haired man appears to have just stepped out of a doorway in the middle of an open field. The man looks around in confusion, his garb decidedly urban for someone who appears to be in the middle of the wilderness. As the man loosens his shirt collar, you can see the amulet hanging around his neck. With a shrug, the red-haired man begins walking towards a near-by grove of trees.

The image shifts for the final time, and you see the red-haired man arguing with an obviously pregnant elven woman. The discussion looks heated, and eventually the man hangs his head in shame, and begins walking away. After the man gets a few feet away he stops, turns, and removes the amulet from around his neck. With a stoic face, he hands the elven woman the amulet, before turning and walking away.

Pavick, you know that historically, magicians learning under a similar master will adopt the master's arcane sigil as their own. The pentagon (or, more commonly, the octogon) is used to identify the highest ranking of a master's apprentices.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan leans back, a bit dizzy from the visions. "Was that my father? It was, wasn't it? But . . . that doesn't tell me where he is now. And I'm still not sure why that other one has been sending me stuff."

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I can trance later. I'd rather be present when he talks."

He gives a short sigh. "Though if we're both going to be down there talking to him, we might need someone to run interference if Toveliss shows up, unless you're absolutely certain he won't betray us to his mother. Pavick and Lucan would be better at that than I am, I think."

He pauses for another moment. "I do hope that Toveliss is trustworthy, though. Eltain seems to like him as well."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Limara sighs. "I hope he is as well. The marriage may be more political than anything else, but I do admit, I've grown rather fond of him. I'd hate to have him exiled."

The two Printempest siblings make their way across the complex, and down into the dungeon, passing the Sehannine acolyte as you head down the stairs.

With a quick word, she sends the two guards away, but not before hearing of the "prison fight."

You make their way down the hall to where Eltain and Jaquel are waiting. Limara examines the Winter Fey, before turning to Eltain. "Do you wish to remain while we question him?"

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would prefer to, if at all possible, unless I'm needed elsewhere."

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

"If my fiance decides to investigate my whereabouts, we may need to you to...distract him, but other than that I have no issue with you attending. My brother seems to trust you in this matter, so it seems I must as well."

Limara leads the small group to a room at the end of the hall. There are a number of chairs, and a table, but other than that the room is completely barren. It does, however, have a small window in the door, allowing you to see anyone approaching long before they could disturb you. A few minutes later, the house wizard (sent by Iain) enters the room. He's an old Eladrin (even by fey standards), and seems to be muttering to himself as he walks. He pulls out the needed ritual scrolls to insure that truth is told, casts them, and leaves without a word to anyone, still muttering to himself. Had he not just given a sample of his abilities, you would have strongly suspected him for a crazed homeless man.

"Now," Limara begins, taking a seat, and motioning for everyone else to do the same. "Convince me that my Brother did not waste my time and resources when he promised you asylum."

Jaquel gives a gulp, but his cool demeanor returns a moment later, and he begins speaking."Ten years ago, the Winter Lords pledged allegiance to the Prince of Frost. In public, they still keep up the appearance of divided allegiances and the normal factions that exist within all Fey courts, but they all have sworn allegiance. Those who did not swear have since been cast out." The air crystallizes around him in small snowflakes at this last thought. This culling of the Winter Fey obviously affected him personally.

"I don't know what the original plans were, but three years ago, something happened. Whatever plans the Prince had before were changed, and he began setting plans for an aggressive assault into both the mortal world, and throughout the Feywild. I was assigned to work under Andreas and Certhiel. They were tasked by Koliada herself to make ties to the the other noble families in the Feywild; either to use as allies, or as a way to bog them down to prevent a united front against the Armies of Snow.

"We planted advisers in some families, made treaties with others, and simply married into some." He glances at Azula before continuing. "Andreas was the one who discovered that the Fomorians has managed to grow Tiemann. He helped arrange for Glydax to take control of a farm that we could easily trade with, and has been using the root to remove any Fey Lords we thought wouldn't be susceptible to our other tactics." His eyes close, but he continues speaking "For over a year now, I've been traveling back and forth between the Farm and our lands on the surface, bringing Tiemann to agents for use against other Fey houses. The combination of these tactics has been very effective so far. Almost a third of the Gloaming Fey have allied themselves with us, the Green Court is half-destroyed from within. The Summer Courts were next."

He finally stops speaking, and looks up at you. Around Limara, the air has dried and is becoming uncomfortably warm. She appears deep in thought, and without moving she says softly to Aramil: "Well, brother. As my Knight-Errant, what do you think of this news?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-12-10 at 03:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil's face is set in a frown, and random sparks flit about the air. He is angry, of course, but he knows how to keep a civil mask. "It's exactly as I feared. I think it should be enough evidence for now to show us that we need to proceed carefully."

28. - Top - End - #778

Other than the unusual greeting, the cell wall is too thick to hear most of the rest of the conversation. But just before she leaves, Eltain can see her stop and mutter "...Turnips. Does he think I was born last decade?"

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain snows worriedly.

"Yes, we do." He sighs. "I'd rather hoped Toveliss would turn out to be a good person, or at least not evil, just for the sake of someone related to Certhiel not being like her, but if that's the case, he may well be involved in this. We'll have to be extremely discreet in our actions from now on, just in case. But this has to be stopped."

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick leans back, resting on the palms of his hands. "Yes, that was my guess too. He looks so much like you. It seems to me that the visions left us with more questions than answers." Pavick looks skyward with a distant look in his eyes, he seems about to get very philosophical. "Oh well, I guess that's the nature of life. As our wise Shepherd friend would say, it is a wise man who... well something about goats anyway."

He shakes his head, looking back to Lucan. "It is good to know it was the man with the handlebar mustache who was scrying on you. Much better than who I'd assumed." Pavick shudders as the image of a lich with a handlebar mustache flits through his mind.

"I have to wonder if he's been sending all of this stuff to you intentionally or if it has something to do with that ritual your father performed involving the amulet and the box. He seemed to be very secretive about it all, so maybe the mustached guy didn't know he did it. And what is his connection to this Adahn Chauncy? Hard to say, I guess," he says with a sigh.