New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Adventures in Fallcrest - IC - Part III [4E]

DM Post

The Printempest complex sits on the outskirts of a small village deep within the lands of the Spring Fey. Within that village, there is a small temple to Corellon that serves the town, and occasionally provides advice to the family when it is requested. The temple, like many of the houses and buildings of this town, seems to be make of intertwined trees, yet the leaves on the branches of these are a deep, royal blue unlike any other leaves in the area. Above the doorway, a crystal eight-pointed star hangs, reflecting the full spectrum of the sunlight across the surrounding area.

When Eltain enters to the temple, he is greeted by one of the temples 3 priests, a satyr named Alcur. While it is unusual to see a satyr in the service of Corellon, it is not unheard of for satyrs to revere him as a patron of music. The half-goat, looking slightly amusing with his hooves peaking out from underneath the priestly robes, trots over to the Paladin. "It has been long since a knight of the god of beauty has visited us. Welcome to this house of Corellon." He gives a half-bleat, and smiles warmly at the Half-Eladrin.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"So he's not one of the old suitors? Don't worry. My sister's an intelligent woman, and even if she did somehow pick the wrong man, she knows I will make certain that he is the one who will spend the marriage in fear and regret."

(Unless, of course, she dismissed it as the silly ramblings of a kid brother. Then she would just be surprised when it turns out that he's dead serious. Wait, no, the only one dead would be the guy that wronged his sister.)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

OOC: Aside from whatever Eltain wanted to do at the temple, does anyone else have anything they'd like to do before Aramil's entire family descends upon you?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

OOC: Duck.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

(I've got nothing, as I suppose Aramil had already taken time to freshen up before he left Fallcrest... though if there's time, he might go talk to his father before the rest arrive.)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Once the guards are no longer hostile and Zyrr can poke his head up, he raises an eyebrow at the dissonance between Selene's speech and behavior. He pats the swordsage on the shoulder. "I got this." He then muscles his way past and flashes the servant a friendly smile. "Pardon me, miss. I speak casual." Once Aramil finishes his conversation, Zyrr takes her by the arm and attempts to walk her about the Printempest estate, making small talk about the finer points of Eladrin and Drow architecture along with their respective differences. Should this happen, another bridge between the two estranged races presents itself: subtle nods, eye movements, and changes in gait allow a second, more serious conversation to occur between the two.

Spoiler
    Show
    As stated, Zyrr is attempting to use cover talk to let Selene speak her mind without saying anything risky. I'll try two rolls with this. Bluff - (1d20+12)[19] to ask the right questions in the properly subtle way, Insight - (1d20+8)[25] to interpret both yes/no answers and the true natures of new topics.

((OOC: Edited so as not to exclude the predicted epic fail that would make me have to go back and change this anyway.))
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-12-08 at 11:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Zyrr, I think you're forgetting a rather critical flaw in your plan."

The flaw being, even if it is subconscious, that 90% of Eladrin are at least a bit racist. Especially against Drow. Even ones that are accompanying your mistress's cousin.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain smiles warmly at the priest and bows.

"It's a pleasure to see a fellow clergy member again. It's been far too long," he says, looking around happily. "And the last time it was in the mortal world, where even Corellon's temples are built rather differently. Indeed, the priest there was human." He smiles fondly as he remembers the man, then becomes more serious.

"I came here to ask for advice. Much to my dismay, the town in the mortal world I've been resident of late has merely a single shrine to our god, and only I to spread his teachings and words. But I am young, barely more than a child, and I fear of late that I am unworthy. I... We Paladins are held to a strict code, and expected to cleave as close to our god as possible. But I have done terrible things that still weigh upon me even as I do good in the world, and even the good weighs upon me. And the things I was taught as a child in the lands of the Winter Fey so often ring hollow in my ears these days..." He breaks off, a smirk coming to his face.

"Look at me, depressing and gloomy. Typical winter fey, it's in my blood, I fear. I even make the air around me colder at times. I was abandoned as an infant on the steps of the temple. One of the other children being trained as a Paladin used to joke that I was a noble's bastard. Ridiculous, of course." He snorts. "Alas, there's something of the winter in me, at any rate. Pity it isn't spring." He pulls his wandering mind back to where it needs to be.

"I suppose what I need here is guidance. I know what I was taught in my homeland, but I'd like to learn the teachings of these lands as well, and see how Corellon's faith is interpreted here." He smiles. "I want to learn more so I can become more certain of the truth for myself, so that I may better serve Corellon. And I wish to start a temple in the city I've been residing in."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Zyrr's conversation doesn't go as smoothly as he would like. While Selene's previous interactions with the Drow cause her to be slightly more tolerant of him than most Eladrin would be (although that isn't saying much), they are also interrupted on their walk no fewer than 8 times, as various guards, servants, and anyone passing by stops to make sure that Zyrr isn't an Underdark spy trying to kidnap Selene.

The Drow is able to have a small bit of casual conversation with the servant, and in that time he gleans that since the last time that Selene and Azula were at the family manor (several weeks before the auction), Aramil's sister (the High-Lady Limara) has gone from simply the next-in-line-of-succession to almost single-handedly running the entire family. The Lord Printempest has vary rarely been seen as of late, save by very close members of the family and a small number of servants who bring food to him. There are rumors that he has taken ill; and a few have even whispered that it's possibly the same illness that wreaked havoc among the Green Court earlier in the year.

------------------

When Aramil attempts to visit his father, he is told by the servants at the door that the High-Lord is resting to prepare for the party that evening. OOC: That being said, if Aramil really wants to press the issue, he can order the servants to allow him access to his father.

------------------

The satyr gives a bleating laugh. "Do not worry so much of the shortcomings of your kin. Were we to sit here and discuss the vices of fey-kind, we would be here for a month of fortnights." He moves over, and sits on a marble bench, his cloven feet dangling just an inch above the ground. He motions for you to take a seat next to him.

"We could discuss at length how Corellon's faith is interpreted here, but I doubt that it would help you with this new temple you wish to create." He looks around at the trees, the flowers, and even the crystal star. "The god of spring tells us to cultivate beauty in all that we do. So if you wish to create a temple for this city of mortals, look to the areas where Corellon has already inspired them. Are they craftsmen? Are they magicians? Are they musicians?" He pulls out a small reed pipe from under his cloak, and plays a few notes on it that seem to fill the temple. "What you must do is find that inspiration, and show them how it comes from Corellon, and how they can take that inspiration to create things of true beauty. If you can do that, the temple will be a natural gathering place of that beauty in inspiration, and it will arise in a way truly worthy of our god."

He puts the pipes away, and looks at the Paladin. "Remember, beauty is in the eye of he who beholds it. For instance, I find this temple to be one of the most wonderful temples to Corellon ever built, but brother Meynard," he motions to one of the other priests at the far side of the hall, "Will never find this temple as beautiful as the temple in Sigil where he learned first learned the teachings. And beauty is not limited to buildings or nature, beauty appears in places we would never expect, even in abandoned children."
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-12-09 at 01:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain sits next to the priest and listens as he speaks, then nods, smiling.

"You have a point... There is beauty in more than just outward appearance. It's so much more than that, and even the ugliest of beings can bear a beautiful soul. Something that, alas, the priests of my home temple could stand to learn. You're right. I need to find out what inspires them, what's beautiful to them, and help them cultivate it. Perhaps Corellon's word speaks itself best. Show them the beauty he brings to the world, and they'll find their way to his glory on their own." He looks around and grins.

"And I suppose I understand how brother Meynard feels. As wonderful a temple as this is, I still long for part of the temple I grew up in... There was a statue in the gardens of Corellon, and I always used to curl up against it when I was feeling sad or lonely or afraid. Kind of funny, I guess, but I always felt his presence there more than I ever felt it in the temple itself, even during services on high holy days. I guess I should take from that that I need to worry less about what kind of building or finding a proper priest or what kind of ceremonies should be held, and more about cultivating that feeling of his presence. All the glorious temples in the multiverse mean nothing, if the very object of your faith is best found outside of them." He stands and chuckles.

"Thank you, Alcur... Ahh, forgive my rudeness. I haven't given you my name. I'm Eltain."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

11. - Top - End - #101

Zyrr sidles next to Aramil when he has a moment to spare, the drow bearing a large navy-colored mark on his cheek. "Selene is a remarkable individual; she was boiling over with good opinions and good advice. For instance, if I settle down in Fallcrest and don't want to look like a total amateur regarding decorating I should stick with blues and greens but never the two together in the same room. Spiders are out this year, snakes are in. Spring colors have also been falling out of fashion recently, a trend I see your father has followed closely. Also, your servant and I learned a few things about each other. She learned about my work in ending the 'Smoldering Heart Plague' that happened back home about the time the Feywild fashions changed." His palm brushes the mark on his face, causing him to wince. "And in return I learned that your sister is not the only Eladrin maiden in the household who is engaged." For lack of better description, a certain part of Zyrr's summary is set so thick with emphasis you could hear it through earplugs.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"You ran afoul of Selene's fiancée, then? Look, you don't need to do all this sneaking around to find out things about my own family for me. Please don't try to cause any trouble here, you're my guest and I don't want my reputation sullied because I let a Drow in to mess up the entire household."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Satyr gives another bleating laugh. "I am called Demotress. It is a pleasure to meet you."

----------that evening-----------

Just as the sun is about to set, a clear chime sounds throughout the complex. Across the field, you see a long procession of people making their way along the white stoned path, through the laurel archway that marks the entrance to the Printempest grounds.

Leading the procession is a golden haired Eladrin woman with sparkling green eyes. It is not difficult to recognize her as Aramil's sister, and as she sees her brother she quickly glides across the room to embrace him. Aramil, I am thrilled that you've come. When I received word of you and your...friends," her eyes dart to Zyrr, who is already starting to generate whispers from the line of Eladrin coming in, "I could hardly believe my ears." Limara smiles, and takes her brother's hand. "Come, I want you to meet my betrothed."

She leads Aramil across the room, to a tall, thin fey with platinum hair and glowing blue eyes. "This is my fiancé, Toveliss."

Toveliss turns, and extends his hand to Aramil, but as he opens his mouth to greet his to-be-brother-in-law, a familiar voice calls out. "Aramil, how wonderful to see you again." the croud parts, as Certhiel steps forward. She glides across the room, small snowflakes floating in the air around her. She moves up, and puts a hand on Toveliss' shoulder. "Isn't it marvelous? Soon, You and I shall be family." A smile spreads across her face, as her eyes sparkle like starlight on ice.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain smiles and takes his leave of the temple after praying for a while at the altar, to rejoin his companions at the Printempest place for the evening.

-----

Eltain chokes when he sees Limara's fiancee, and mentally swears when Certhiel enters the room. The air around him gets slightly colder along with his distress, and he grits his teeth, nodding at the woman.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-12-11 at 01:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil smiles genuinely (perhaps for the first time since he and his band of adventurers met?) when he sees Limara, but most astute people could notice that by the time he sees Certhiel, if not Toveliss (Definitely not one of the old suitors, he thinks, as he's introduced), the smile becomes forced. "Yes, marvelous. I hope you aren't too bitter about what happened a few days ago. A fey noble must keep the word he has given, after all."

He turns to Limara. "Li, when things calm down for a bit, can we talk? Privately, I mean. Even in the Fey courts, much can happen in twenty years, and I think I need to catch up."
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-12-11 at 12:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick has generally been doing what gnomes do best since his return to the feywild, staying out of sight. It isn't what he usually prefers to do, but he feels somehow out of place here. Part of him expected the feywild to feel like home, due to his races roots here, and he has read enough about it in Nimozaran's library, but somehow everything here just feels so foreign. Instead of feeling at home, he feels like a stranger in a strange land. So he has, for the most part, kept to the shadows.

Upon Aramil's family's return, Pavick is standing around in the shadows of the rest of the group. As his sister acknowledges Aramil's friends, Pavick smiles slightly at her and nods his head in greeting, but it is obvious that she is paying more attention to Zyrr than anyone else. Once she introduces her bethrothed, and Certhiel steps forward, Pavick's mouth drops open. He quickly tugs on Lucan's sleeve, whispering, "Isn't that the woman from the auction?" he asks.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan has been mostly quiet, enjoying the music which only he seems to hear. Pavick's question catches him off-guard.

"I believe it is," he replies. "What do you think it means that she's here?"
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-12-12 at 09:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

"Probably nothing good. Remember that she tried to use me as leverage against us last time," Eltain whispers. "This may be a revenge ploy."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Limara gives Aramil a knowing look. "Of course. We'll speak later this evening.". She gives his arm a squeeze of affection before moving off to greet some of the other guests, Toveliss on her arm.

Certhiel steps forward, causing Aramil's breath to mist in front of him."Your sister has a good head on her shoulders. You should be very proud." She smiles, but eyes remain unchanged. "Normally, after such a shameful insult as you have shown me, I'd have your head, or at least two hundred years of servitude. However," she places a hand on Aramil's shoulder, "What kind of start would it be to my son's birthday if I imprisoned his wife's knight-errant? We'll consider the forgiveness of past transgressions a wedding present. That way nothing will stand in the way of your-our family's success." Her hand is like a vice on Aramil's shoulder, and she gives a pleasant laugh, even as her eyes continue to glitter with malice.

----------

Across the room, Azula steps up beside Pavick, Lucan, and Eltain. "So, I assume you're as happy about this arrangement as I am..." she crosses her arms as she stares at Limara and Toveliss across the room. "I cannot imagine what possessed you to return to the feywild so quickly, but I'm glad you have. Selene has just informed me that Lord Printempest will not be joining us this evening. This is the fourth appearance he's canceled this week."

----------

Near the entrance to large room, Zyrr spots two Eladrin girls who appear to be watching him. From their garb, they appear to be acolytes of Sehannine, and they seem to be looking at the drow with expressions of pity on their faces.

----------

In the gaps between the trees that make up the walls, the sun is setting, casting the field in a pale orange glow. Just on the edge of the trees, a pair of young Eladrin men appear. Following behind them, a small heard of what appear to be six-legged sheep emerge out of the trees. The strange creatures move into the fields, and soon begin grazing.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-12-15 at 05:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain nods at Azula, then turns his back to the winter fey and looks like he's cheerfully making small talk.

"Perhaps less so. As you may have known, and could guess from my appearance if you did not, I am from Certhiel's lands and familiar with the way she rules and the ways of the Winter Court. And if you ask me, any of us, even a bastard half-breed like me, would be a better match for Aramil's sister than any child of Certhiel's. I cannot fathom any good reason for this to have occurred, especially now. I fear Certhiel is going after your family because Aramil spurned an offer of employment from her. She's already tried to use me against us. This entire affair stinks, especially coinciding with why we've come to the Feywild again."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Azula arches an eyebrow. "Why did you come back?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-12-15 at 05:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

"We received a message from a gnome acquaintance of Pavick's that some companions of his were stranded and in need of aid due to actions by the Winter Court. And lo and behold, when we come to try to assist, here's Certhiel, involving herself in your family. I really don't like this." He frowns.

"The news of Lord Printempest's illness also seems rather... Convenient."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Indeed. Who knows? You might even warm up to my and my sister's side of the family. I'd hate it if the reception was cold... wouldn't bode well for the wedding."

Smirking to himself at his own puns, he brushes of Certhiel's hand. "Well, I heard my father should be showing up soon. He always did like a good tale of adventure, and I've got a few to share with him, I reckon."

24. - Top - End - #114

Zyrr studies the Sehannine priestesses from a distance at first. The last time he spoke to visiting clergy in the Feywild turned out very poorly; even the feywine he bought for Jamil's mourning-toast tasted watered down. So the assassin shuffles throughout the room, always keeping the girls in sight and in distance until he finishes his assessment. ....This time they might be cultists of Lolth, if there's any truth to the theory of narrative causality.

Zyrr changes his pseudo-hobnobbing course (it's hard to socialize when groups move away from you as soon as they realize you've joined them) and sweeps in a half-moon trajectory to meet the two acolytes with the sorriest expression he can muster. "Yes, I'm sorry to say the rumors you've heard are true. A drow that doesn't kiss a spider at least once a year does in fact turn into a dwarf."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Azula nods. "I don't like it either, but he is an eligible noble who has followed all the proper forms, so there is little I can do about it other than attempt to persuade Limara to break it off. Attempts that have proven fruitless so far..."

She gives a long sigh "Lord Printempest's illness has me concerned as well. If the rumors are true, it's the same illness that nearly destroyed the Green Court. I've heard rumors that several of the Sidhe-lords of the Summer Court have also fallen ill.

She gives a long pause. "I'm assuming the gnome acquaintance you're referring to is that annoying toad from the auction? What did the winter court do to strand his companions?"

-----------------

The light snow falling around Certhiel swirls for a moment, and she gives Aramil a cold smile. "As you wish..." She turns, and walks off to speak with some of the other fey milling about the room.

-----------------

The two Eladrin stare at the Drow a moment, their mouths agape. "Well...that's...that's news to me." The slightly taller one on the left says. The shorter one finally snaps out of her shock."My name is Shalala and this is my sister Allika. We just wanted to say that we are so happy that you have rejected your heritage and your evil goddess. She claps her hands together and practically jumps in joy. Allika begins speaking almost as soon as her sister stops. "We were so worried when we saw that Lord Aramil had returned with a drow. "Oh yes, we were SO worried." "But then, we saw that you came with one of Corellon's paladins-" "And we realized "Oh my goddess, they've reformed a Drow!"" "And we just want you to know that we are SO happy for you!" "SO HAPPY!" "And we just want you to know that we don't hold your past against you-" "I mean, It really wasn't your fault-" "And we cannot wait to hear your story about how you turned from a life of wickedness!" "We can't wait!"

The pair speak so rapidly, that it hurts your head to try and keep up, but they've finally silenced, and are staring at Zyrr with rapt attention.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-11-22 at 04:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

"Apparently they've sealed off the entrances to the Feydark, leaving some of his resistance workers trapped after their escape route was destroyed." He grimaces.

"Again, the timing of it all is just incredibly strange. This disease, this engagement, the issue we came to deal with... Ugh." He frowns. "Dear gods, it's been too long since I've been in the Feywild. It won't look bad socially if I avoid Certhiel and Toveliss, will it?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a stillness in the air where the goliath stands, an obelisk of stone in dying light of the sun. Tranquility itself seems to float in the air, barely disrupted by lilting sound of bird song. The shadowy shape of the obelisk suddenly quivers, a long, stony arm breaks free; a palm forms, and it slams heavily into the head of the pillar, shattering the soft serenity like glass. The Shepherd recoils as his palm connects with his face with a remarkable thud, and he staggers back with dazed footsteps. He totters back and forth as he regains his bearings, and shakes his head violently in a controlled frenzy. Sick with dizziness, the Shepherd stares back towards the glade, and then up at the sun, squinting his eyes fiercely. The sun was bright and fiery, but the face of Jim Morrison was not present within its burning surface. He did not smell the mome-rathes, and white knight was not talking backwards. What he saw before him was real.

This place was madness. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Azula frowns. "The Formians haven't been a threat in over two centuries. Why would they shut down the Feydark entrances?"

"As for social issues, I'd try avoiding the bride-and-groom to be, but I think you'll find yourself in the majority if you avoid Certhiel."

--------------

As the Shepard stumbles about, a few of the servants move up to prepare and catch the huge Goliath, assuming him to be intoxicated. From out in the field, one of the six legged sheep looks his way, and gives a loud "BAAAAAAAAAH" before continuing it's grazing.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-12-15 at 05:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

The two flood Zyrr with a torrent of words, the deluge forcing him back such that he bumps into a few fellow partygoers. Then as suddenly as it starts, the outpour stops, leaving a silence that can only be filled by his words. Internally, the small part of him that isn't stunned with information overload mentally applauds the pair; they executed a perfect flash-flood social maneuver.

Caught completely by surprise, Zyrr does what comes naturally - he puts on his most innocent, wide-eyed mask and lies his hidden face off. "Yes, yes, your cousins have shown me the meaning in the moonlight. I've rejected my evil environment, run away from my bloodthirsty family - unreasonable murderers just like all drow - and learned to live an honest life off the land. I now travel the world battling undeserved hatred and doing good deeds with my trusty multiracial yet mostly human crew. Please, remind me later to show you the magical stone panther I keep in my pants. I have cast aside all to do with vile Lolth, especially symbols and the like." He delivers the monologue with just enough penitence to allow them to maintain the illusion for themselves until he reaches into his pockets and pulls out various spider-themed trinkets. "Such as this holy symbol, this ring, this dreamcatcher-" He lays the intricately-woven steel web in the palm of his hand and quickly kisses the jeweled spider in the center. "- I was close to bearding and that does count, by the way. And now I believe it's time for my daily brooding over the sins of my peoples or if you wish we can stay here and talk as people and not characters out of old legends."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know why they would. It's probably some strange ploy for power. That seems to be most of what they do." He frowns, and while he doesn't snow like Certhiel does, the air around him is noticeably colder. "And good, I'm glad it won't look bad if I avoid them."