New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Wedding

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Royal Wedding

I am somewhat surprised that there is no thread discussing this, Prince William, second in line to the British Throne, is to be married in 2011.

When I compare his marriage to the marriage of his parents, I have to say that I am very impressed. His father notoriously said, when asked if he was in love "Yes, whatever love means." Unlike Diana, Kate has been exposed to a wide range of public attention and tabloid hounding before the marriage, and I really think they are in a much better position to have a real, stable, marriage.

Here is wishing them all the best!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Royal Wedding

I assumed it was due to the wedding being about half a year away.

But yes, William and Kate have not only known each other for a long time, but appear to actually be in love, which is a good, solid reason for a 21st century Royal Wedding, one feels - William has chosen a middle-class woman for his wife instead of an aristocrat or foreign princess, which is the standard practice, after all. I'm sure the country doesn't want another Charles and Diana - I'm convinced William and Kate will avoid it, especially since William is only too aware of the dangers involved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I assumed it was due to the news being a bit of celebrity gossip about people who are entirely irrelevant to the general populace.

I don't know them (personally), I don't really care to know them and whatever they do is really none of my business.
    I want a castle!

"I'm participating!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kastanok View Post
    I assumed it was due to the news being a bit of celebrity gossip about people who are entirely irrelevant to the general populace.

I don't know them (personally), I don't really care to know them and whatever they do is really none of my business.
    Whilst this is largely true, and I agree with effectively it, you forget that a royal wedding is typically a public holiday.

5. - Top - End - #5

I hardly consider the Heads of State of 16 countries irrelevant.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I look forward to when I get engaged. I think I'd rather enjoy having my maritial status broadcast as the only item on the news for a good week or two.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I suspect it gets old before long, especially when a sizable portion of the population doesn't have any particular urge to wish you well.

It is my hope that both William and Charles are dedicated to making sure that Kate doesn't have the same troubles Diana did -- and I think that a big slice of that pie came from INSIDE the palace. And beyond the fact that these are actors in a reality series that's been going on for eight hundred years that I don't follow closely, I wish those two kids well.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm surprised no mention has been made about Prince Charles' remark to Brian Williams during his interview the other night. From what I heard, it's a real firestorm of controversy over there that he responded with "maybe" to "Will Camilla(spelling?) be queen?" Can anyone who lives there explain that one to me?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Whilst this is largely true, and I agree with effectively it, you forget that a royal wedding is typically a public holiday.
    *Pokes head in*

Can we claim a public holiday in the colonies too?

Oh wait, damn independence ...
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't even know if there'll be a holiday here in Canada, and we're still part of the Commonwealth.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    I am somewhat surprised that there is no thread discussing this, Prince William, second in line to the British Throne, is to be married in 2011.
    I'm not. Most Brits don't give a toss about the royals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    Nominally. It's an embarrassing archaism.
    Last edited by TheBST; 2010-11-20 at 10:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I'm surprised no mention has been made about Prince Charles' remark to Brian Williams during his interview the other night. From what I heard, it's a real firestorm of controversy over there that he responded with "maybe" to "Will Camilla(spelling?) be queen?" Can anyone who lives there explain that one to me?
    Camilla isn't the Princess of Wales right now, and according to my sources she would be known as the Princess Consort were Charles to take the throne. I suspect this is out of respect for the public's memory of Diana and seems to be a break with tradition. (Of course, who knows if Charles would take the throne even if he did outlive his mother as opposed to just handing it straight to William.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    Camilla isn't the Princess of Wales right now, and according to my sources she would be known as the Princess Consort were Charles to take the throne. I suspect this is out of respect for the public's memory of Diana and seems to be a break with tradition. (Of course, who knows if Charles would take the throne even if he did outlive his mother as opposed to just handing it straight to William.)
    It's hard to imagine that happening, somehow. Charles outliving his mother that is. I mean, she's been the queen since before my parents were born! It's gonna be weird getting used to refering to the King of England when that happens, for my whole life that's been reserved for talking about people who died centuries ago, ya know?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

wait, waity katie got engaged? it's funny because i just saw a show about the two (and harry landing a chinook in his girls backyard) last night
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kastanok View Post

Pretty much this. Heard about it a couple of times on the 'net, but I no more care about it than I do about news of Hollywood celebrities getting married.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    Considering that status is purely symbolic at this point, I would.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Considering that status is purely symbolic at this point, I would.

Zevox
    It isn't in fact, but I think we ought to avoid going down this line further lest we break forum rules re pollitcs.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #17

It isn't in fact, but I think we ought to avoid going down this line further lest we break forum rules re pollitcs.
    It is, though. The Queen has titular power on the presumption that she never actually attempts to use it. You can bet that if she actually decided to, for example, refuse the Royal Assent to an Act of Parliament, the rules would be changed pretty quickly.

The Caledonian Mercury sums up my feelings pretty well. Two people are getting married. Fair play to them, but I don't care any more than I would when two other celebs got married.

I do find it a bit irritating when people mention that William's marrying a "commoner" though. Her parents are millionaires, she went to Marlborough School. It's not like Will's run off with a chav from Tower Hamlets.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    I do find it a bit irritating when people mention that William's marrying a "commoner" though. Her parents are millionaires, she went to Marlborough School. It's not like Will's run off with a chav from Tower Hamlets.
    But her behavior is common. That wouldn't get on our nerves, but that's only because we're commoners ourselves. Ms. Middleton seems sufficiently clever as to adopt the fashion of behaving as the nobles do, but even that is a departure from what you or I would think of as being on good behavior all the time.

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm really happy about it! It is nice to hear some positive news from the Royal Family, too often it is depressing muckups that hurt the public image of the Royal Family...

Of course I say this as a Royalist who really gets annoyed when people here in Australia talk about becoming a Republic... Then again that might just be because the leader of the push to become a Republic suggested last time that people under 30 shouldn't be taken seriously.

Anyway, I can't figure out why so many British people don't like the Royals (unless it is having the hear about them from those Tabloid things, that would be annoying) they make Britain a HUGE amount of money each year! What's not to love?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    Anyway, I can't figure out why so many British people don't like the Royals (unless it is having the hear about them from those Tabloid things, that would be annoying) they make Britain a HUGE amount of money each year! What's not to love?
    Agreed. We get a lot of international respect from the presence of the Royal Family as well, which is something a lot of people at home lose sight of. The majority, however, support the monarchy - republicans are merely very vocal. In actuality, the Royals are an asset that we profit from in a multitude of ways, not a hindrance.

As an aside, while the power of the monarch is mostly symbolic, the monarchy does have its impact on government and politics in many small ways. Twice during her reign the Queen has chosen the Prime Minister, for example. I would hasten to add, though, that keeping the position of Head of State away from politicians works very much to our advantage, as does having a continuous presence to represent the nation when governments come and go.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

One thing I find slightly annoying is that I am getting married in 2011. The same thing happened to my parents AND my aunt and uncle. Why do the royals keep copying us?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing I find slightly annoying is that I am getting married in 2011. The same thing happened to my parents AND my aunt and uncle. Why do the royals keep copying us?
    That's actually fairly amusing. :)

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I actually used Prince William and Kate as an example of why it doesn't matter Oz and I aren't engaged. Now...they are. At least I can use the "if an eight year courtship is cool with the British Royal family, then why are you not cool with it?" for another 5 years. Then I have to find another couple. >>
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    That's actually fairly amusing. :)

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I actually used Prince William and Kate as an example of why it doesn't matter Oz and I aren't engaged. Now...they are. At least I can use the "if an eight year courtship is cool with the British Royal family, then why are you not cool with it?" for another 5 years. Then I have to find another couple. >>
    I am fairly certain if you are still happy, content and monogamous after 8 year, engagement will not look like something to avoid.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

It's...complicated. Suffice to say the only negative thing we've discovered about being partners is that the term "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" doesn't really encompass our relationship anymore. That's...about it. Otherwise, I couldn't care less. His only hang up is he knows how he gets if he's obligated to do something, and he's scared that would happen. *shrug* I know he wants to be with me, everyone else knows he wants to be with me, and I definitely wouldn't want to push the issue since (as stated above) I don't care.

I just know parental interference from his end will be happening soon, and will get worse as time goes on. >> Thankfully, my mom could also care less. She's got enough with my sisters wedding, and it took her and my dad 7 years to get around to it.
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You all share the same wedding planner and don't realize it, maybe?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    She is a commoner. "Commoner" is the correct term for anyone who is not a part of the peerage.

Personally, I wish them both well. They look very happy together, and seem to be good people. When the day comes, I'll be proud for Prince William to be my king.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    It's...complicated. Suffice to say the only negative thing we've discovered about being partners is that the term "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" doesn't really encompass our relationship anymore. That's...about it. Otherwise, I couldn't care less. His only hang up is he knows how he gets if he's obligated to do something, and he's scared that would happen. *shrug* I know he wants to be with me, everyone else knows he wants to be with me, and I definitely wouldn't want to push the issue since (as stated above) I don't care.

I just know parental interference from his end will be happening soon, and will get worse as time goes on. >> Thankfully, my mom could also care less. She's got enough with my sisters wedding, and it took her and my dad 7 years to get around to it.
    You don't have to have a ceremony, you know. Just because it's tradition doesn't mean you have to do it that way if one or both of you are uncomfortable with the idea.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm an Australian who lived in the the UK for a while, but although I'm all for our country to become a republic I must say that I'm rather happy that the royal family has a major wedding that is built on love and not mere cirumstance. Down with colonialism and all that, but I'm rather pleased that the royal family will have a new addition that isn't likely to devolve into scandal. She's had a hard time in the 1990s the poor dear, and now that everything has settled down (relatively speaking) she has a married descendant to leave her throne to after Charles.

I mean, that Prince Harry. Turning up to a fancy dress party as a German officer with a swastika on his arm? Not the done thing at all.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBST View Post
    I'm not. Most Brits don't give a toss about the royals.

Nominally. It's an embarrassing archaism.
    Spoiler
    Show

Just because they don't use their power, doesn't mean they don't have any.

More importantly this wedding means (hopefully) William will be king instead of Charles: who I dislike for reasons I can't really explain.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Whatever you may think of them, Her Majesty has to be the best example of a constitutional Monarch in the world, saying almost nothing. She also happens to be the leading expert in British policy and Foreign affairs, what with her reading EVERY high classification document that the British Government generated over the last 57 years...
    GNU Terry Pratchett