New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lightbulb Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits, dreaming."

Im looking to DM a 3.5 edition D&D campagn, a typical word and sorcory style game... and then to throw Lovecraftian horror into the mix. I very well intend for this to be hard. I even expect to make the players toss character sheets away due to characters being eaten, posessed, or otherwise driven insane by ceaseless phycic bombardments generatyed simply by the mere PRESENCE of eldritch /things/.

Its gonna be metal.

There's just one problem... I got nothing as far as monsters, rules for insanity, or any other tings typically found in Lovecraftian horror. So... anyone want to help a guy out and toss some ideas for monsters my way.

For the record, I plan on having them start off as level 1. Yeah... that low... gives us all the more time for obliterating characters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I know that the book Unearthed Arcana has rules for sanity. Idk if it's SRD, I'll look it up and post a link here if I find it.

EDIT: Found it. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Sanity
    Last edited by Bobmufin52; 2011-01-04 at 08:55 PM.
    Don't make me use my moon powers on you!

Life's not about going with or against the current, it's about tossing you arms up in the air and running in circles while screaming ~weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!~

Spoiler
    Show
    pirate=Tetra
    Tetra=chibi Zelda
    chibi Zelda=adult Zelda
    adult Zelda=Sheik
    Sheik=ninja
    Therefore, pirate=ninja

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmufin52 View Post
    I know that the book Unearthed Arcana has rules for sanity. Idk if it's SRD, I'll look it up and post a link here if I find it.

EDIT: Found it. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Sanity
    Thanks, yo. This DEFINITLY takes me a step closer.

Oh, and, on another note, my father let me borrow his special edition version of the 1st edition D&D Dieties and Demigods, which has many Lovecraftian gods and creatures... now I just need to learn how to convert 1e to 3.5e -_-

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think this belongs more in the Roleplaying Games section and not Homebrew, so you might want to message a mod to move it.

On-topic, there's a d20 Call of Cthulhu which should be relatively easy to convert.

Also, because I'm vain, I'm going to plug my horror project which uses Sanity and some zombies and eldritch horrors that you can pick through and convert to D&D...

If you want a black humor game, that's fine, it can be fun, but if you're actually going for the horror aspect of Lovecraft's work, you're going about it wrong, in my opinion. As I said to another similar poster earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    However, on the subject of the high death rate, that may or may not influence your decision. If the game has a low survival chance it actually stops being a horror game and becomes dark humor as characters are killed in increasingly brutal ways. It'll be like Scooby Doo meets Stephen King's It. Not pretty.

I suggest actually trying to make a game that is dangerous, as a horror game should be, but one that the group can enjoy and get into their characters without having to reroll a bunch. Good horror =/= high death rate.

I ran Shadow Theory without a single character death, and found out that I gave everyone nightmares and one player had to sleep with the light on.

On Lovecraft's monsters, don't make them common. They're designed to be end-of-adventure boss-fights, and they aren't even really meant to be destroyed. They drain too much Sanity to make frequent appearances. Make them rare, but hint at them, and it'll be a whole lot more effective when they actually SEE the thing.
    Last edited by Kuma Kode; 2011-01-04 at 09:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerohan View Post
    Oh, and, on another note, my father let me borrow his special edition version of the 1st edition D&D Dieties and Demigods, which has many Lovecraftian gods and creatures... now I just need to learn how to convert 1e to 3.5e -_-
    Do you meen you need rules on how to make gods in 3.5? Cuse that's SRD too. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Divine_Ranks I'm not too sure how well they will translate form a 1e book, but nothing's stopping you from using these rules to build a lovecraftian elder god from the ground up.
    Last edited by Bobmufin52; 2011-01-04 at 09:43 PM.
    Don't make me use my moon powers on you!

Life's not about going with or against the current, it's about tossing you arms up in the air and running in circles while screaming ~weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!~

Spoiler
    Show
    pirate=Tetra
    Tetra=chibi Zelda
    chibi Zelda=adult Zelda
    adult Zelda=Sheik
    Sheik=ninja
    Therefore, pirate=ninja

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    I think this belongs more in the Roleplaying Games section and not Homebrew, so you might want to message a mod to move it.

On-topic, there's a d20 Call of Cthulhu which should be relatively easy to convert.

Also, because I'm vain, I'm going to plug my horror project which uses Sanity and some zombies and eldritch horrors that you can pick through and convert to D&D...

If you want a black humor game, that's fine, it can be fun, but if you're actually going for the horror aspect of Lovecraft's work, you're going about it wrong, in my opinion. As I said to another similar poster earlier...
    You make secveral good points, sir, some of which I did not think of, another which I already had planned.,

While I already planned for the appearance of Lovecraftian horrors to berare indeed (though the opening of the game does involve one), I see, and never took into consideration, your point regarding high death rates =/= good horror. I shall take this into consideration when writing out my campagne.

And, later on, I shall also see about moving this thread to the aformentioned category you stated. Thank you for your advice.