New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fun Down On the Farmpunk: Join in!

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    We could always make a feat for going up to eleven?

Up To Eleven
    Prerequisite: 10 ranks in at least one skill
    Benefit: Your maximum ranks in all skills go up by 1 and you gain 1 extra skill point every time you gain a feat.
    This! (And probably some other power along with it, don't you think?)
    Making 11 epic.

Edit: 1st post of the 11th page. Coincidence? I think not.
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-12-03 at 02:16 PM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds good. Unless there are any objections (as always), E7 it is.

Final issue that I keep raising: If we're not using static defenses (are we?), how is that implemented?
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Dang but this took off. Haven't even gotten through page 4 yet from being away a few days.

If anyone wants to collect links to the homebrew here, basics, system and such I'll post them on the first page and throw some critiques in.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-12-03 at 08:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

Well. Other posts I could find:

Base classes:

The Stranger
    The Vagrant

Monsters:

The Jackalope
    The Agent

The rest is scattered through the thread.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    This! (And probably some other power along with it, don't you think?)
    Making 11 epic.

Edit: 1st post of the 11th page. Coincidence? I think not.
    Exactly.

Methinks Imma like working on Epic feats like such.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'd like to contribute. I will try to work on some stuff for the doctor, but it may be two weeks, as I have to get through finals week. I am very interested in this!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

I've been tinkering with some talent trees for the Gunslinger. I'll post them up when I've got something a bit more concrete.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow. This stuff is fantastically amazing. After reading through it, I had a possible idea for the administration/entity. Why not have all government workers, rather than being performed by people, being performed by this setting's analog to outsiders/undead/aberrations?

Imagine a train conductor formed of glowing light who sees nothing (not even the hobos who hop on their train or the robbers that try to attack them) but has perfect control over their train (unless a car or two are hi-jacked by hobos or robbers with specialized talents) and always knows the exact time.

Imagine Incorporeal Skeletal Post Carriers riding on wagons manned by skeletal horses (or no horses at all), beings who no force of nature (neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night...) can stop but that require guardians (possibly PCs) to protect hte from bandits.

Imagine the aforementioned lovecraftian agents who come into town unnanounced, hand over papers scrawled with alien and illegible text to supposed lawbreakers to weaken their mind, and lure them inside or outside of town to talk before the two of them vanish forever.

Imagine the cavalry as an actual angelic force that manifests through portals wherever certain facets of the entity detect trouble, danger, or at the very least large armed conflicts.

Imagine Executioners as the upper-half of a pitch-black humanoid emerging from a tree with branched covered in nooses (which it controls, of course) and axes for hands.

As another possible idea, it may be that different members of the administration are simply incapable of breaking free from their "programming" (so a post courier has to leave on time even if they know they'll be ambushed and most politicians can't have their minds changed) or of even seeing that other administration workers are working against them (preventing pure officials, for example, from percieving corrupt ones).

On this line of logic, one final idea: Ascension into Government. government are displayed as outsider-ish individuals, getting elected would be comperable to ascending. Though the temptation of immortality exists, the knowledge that elected officials lose their free will as they are pressed into the machine and that only truly strong folks (level 10) can withstand the strain (mental and metaphysical) of such close proximity to the entity keep most people from wanting to run. If a player wants to join the government, perhaps require that they be 10th level and allow them a Will save to retain free will long enough to make a single change within the government system or change one legal ruling (the closest that anyone in the setting can really get to a wish spell and something that may be worth sacrificing yourself).

Then again, that stuff probably just sounds silly.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

9. - Top - End - #309

While a lot of that would be quite cool in another setting, I think it goes very much against what we are building here: a world built on the most low-key myths, where the supernatural is generally very subtle. And human-looking.

So no, I don't think it fits, sorry.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Darn, didn't think so. Sorry for barging in with the crazy spooks and such.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-12-07 at 01:46 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

11. - Top - End - #311

Yeah, I do think that the Entity and the Administration could be the equivalents of abberations (monsters that are completely alien to mortals), but not actually being abberations. Their alienness is mentally rather than physically, mortals cannot comprehend how their mind works.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

12. - Top - End - #312

Well, I did make Agents aberrations. But they look and act totally human from the outside, so without any magic that actually targets creature type, it shouldn't matter much.

Anyway:
    Let's do some weapons!

Primitive firearms:

Flint-lock Pistol
    Type: one-handed
    Damage: 2d6
    Range Increment: 30 ft.
    Magazine: 1 shot
    Critical: 1 wound
    Reloading: A flint-lock takes two full-round actions to reload for people proficient with it, and three full-round actions for everyone else*.
    Unreliable: A flint-lock pistol is not very reliable: on any natural one on the to-hit roll, a part of the shooting mechanism failed, and a full-round action must be spent before it can be fired again.

Rare: Double-barrel Flintlock Pistol
    Damage: 2d6 (for one barrel)
    Magazine: 2 shots
    Reloading: Reloading either barrel takes two-full round actions for people proficient in it, or three for everyone else. Reloading both barrel at once takes one additional full-round action.
    Unreliable: As the flint-lock pistol.
    Double-shot: at a -2 penalty to the attack roll, both barrels can be fired at once, at the same target, dealing a total of 3d6 damage.

Flintlock Rifle:
    Type: two-handed
    Damage: 2d8
    Range Increment: 60 ft.
    Magazine: 1 shot
    Critical: 1 woun
    Reloading: As a flint-lock pistol.
    Unreliable: As a flint-lock pistol.

Pepperbox revolver:
    Damage: 2d6
    Shooting: Pepperbox revolvers are rather awkward and unreliable to shoot accurately, and therefore take a -2 penalty to all attack rolls.
    Magazine: 4 shots
    Reloading: as a double-barrel flintlock pistol.
    Dangerous: Pepperbox-revolvers, while useful for their larger magazines, are notoriously unreliable and dangerous, sometimes accidentally firing multiple barrels at once, sometimes exploding in the shooter's face. To represent this, whenever a natural one is rolled on the attack roll, the shooter deals the weapon's damage to himself instead of to his target.

*Still generous, Wikipedia suggests 15 seconds for a flintlock musket, and that's on trained soldiers!
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-12-07 at 06:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Generosity on flintlock reload times is probably okay, rounds are kind of abstract anyway. It needs a threat range, and critical wounds could probably afford to be higher. Even a flintlock could injure someone really badly.

Also, for Unreliable, it might be good to expand the chance of failure in rain or fog? Early firearms don't work very well in damp conditions.
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

14. - Top - End - #314

On the topic of Aberrations, and the agency.

I had imagined that they had a sort of 'Alternate Form.'
    One that you *don't* see.
    Why *don't* you see it? Because they don't want you to.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

15. - Top - End - #315
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hermmm, I'm confused, not familiar with the critical wounds thing.
    I take it we are not using SAGA's condition track thing?

@ChumpLump: Yeah, that sounds about right.

As people have been staking out classes to work on, Eldan's done a great job on the Stranger and I think some others have spoken for the Gunslinger and the Doctor, would anyone complain if I said I might do the Rascal?

16. - Top - End - #316

The Stranger is not done, however. It clearly needs more than double the amount of talents it has now, to cover ten levels of a class. So I need suggestions.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Since no one seems to have an opinion on the static defenses thing beside Eldan, I'm going to assume no one has any problem with player's rolling for defense. The general system summary will be updated to reflect this, and for the decision to do E7.

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    Hermmm, I'm confused, not familiar with the critical wounds thing.
    I take it we are not using SAGA's condition track thing?
    We are using the condition track, as far as I know. But we're also using the wound/vitality point system with a slight modification: instead of critical hits increasing damage and hitting wound points, critical hits deal a limited number of wound points of damage (determined by weapon) in addition to their normal vitality point damage.

Basically, if damage to vitality points is a graze, an extremely close call, a lucky dodge or a hit you can shake off, a critical is the shot that would have killed you if it had been just a millimeter off.

As people have been staking out classes to work on, Eldan's done a great job on the Stranger and I think some others have spoken for the Gunslinger and the Doctor, would anyone complain if I said I might do the Rascal?
    If you're reasonably confident and you want to do it, do it. Nothing is at final draft stage, mind, but we're getting reasonably organized with regard to mechanics.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Moved to here as this is more of a general discussion question, rather than one that belongs on the stranger's thread:

Healing mental ability scores sounds like something a priest would do, while a doctor would focus on the body.

Hmm... would it be reasonable to split them between classes?
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

19. - Top - End - #319

Perhaps a kind of Spirit Journey ability, to repair mental problems and damage? More something for the shaman types, but I think priest class is still the closest.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just read through this all. And it's pretty epic, but somethin got nagging on me.

Earlier, there was talk of Indians, the possobilities of other nations, and the needs for passports. I think, people have forgotten something. Who actually built the railroads? The answer, or at least part of it, is the Chinese. And when the Chinese came over, the brought something over with them. Opium.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. *Goes back to admiring*
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-12-07 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Wow I just imagined a weird offshoot.
    We have the alcohol struggles in the cities/outskirts. The Wyld instead of having its own branch of alcohol has a long running conflict between the peyote tribes and the opium gangs.

22. - Top - End - #322

I doubt Opium gangs would run in the wild, really. It's more a city drug.

Wyld: Peyote, hallucigenic mushrooms
    Range: Alcohol
    City: Opium

?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Perhaps a kind of Spirit Journey ability, to repair mental problems and damage? More something for the shaman types, but I think priest class is still the closest.
    Well, the fluff doesn't really matter. One man's spirit journey is another man's guided meditation is another man's confession. All of those could concievably heal mental ability damage.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I doubt Opium gangs would run in the wild, really. It's more a city drug.

Wyld: Peyote, hallucigenic mushrooms
    Range: Alcohol
    City: Opium

?
    I don't know. There was a a lot of prejudice against the Chinese during that time, so it might be sort of exclusive.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I don't know. There was a a lot of prejudice against the Chinese during that time, so it might be sort of exclusive.
    I don't think we're really going for historical accuracy, unless it enhances the awesome. I think an Us/Them attitude is good to foster within the game, but it needs to be focused on Wild/Range/City rather than between racial demographics, just to avoid rubbing anybody the wrong way really.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    I don't think we're really going for historical accuracy, unless it enhances the awesome. I think an Us/Them attitude is good to foster within the game, but it needs to be focused on Wild/Range/City rather than between racial demographics, just to avoid rubbing anybody the wrong way really.
    Could make it a Background/Immigrant exclusive. Still Us/Them, but more broad.

27. - Top - End - #327

Still, it seems to have more a city flair to me, with Opium Houses and underground smuggling. It doesn't seem to fit out in the wild.

Music feats! Make your own today!

Merry Jig (Feat)

Your music fills people's heart with joy, and they just can not dislike you after they hear your music.

Prerequisites: Cha 13+, Perform 5 ranks
    Benefit: You can make perform checks instead of diplomacy checks, though these checks can never be rushed.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-12-07 at 06:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Still, it seems to have more a city flair to me, with Opium Houses and underground smuggling. It doesn't seem to fit out in the wild.
    If there's a town with a track running through it, there'll be opium. Now, not as much as in the Big City, but I get your point.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Audience Participation (Feat)

You can get your audience to sing along and perhaps even encourage them to make up a few verses of their own. It's supprising how revealing that can be...

Prerequisites: Charisma 13, Perform 5 ranks
    Benefit: You may use a perform check to find out the answer to questions you pose to your audience as if you had made a streetwise (/gather information) check.
    These checks may never be rushed.

Duelling Banjos (Feat)

Somehow your music strikes fear into the hearts of those who hear it

Prerequisites: Charisma 13, Perform 5 ranks
    Benefit: You may use a perform check to intimidate as if you had used the intimidate skill. If someone uses this on you, you may respond in kind. Both participants in the duel make 3 perform checks together and must attempt to beat each other's result. The person who wins 2/3 of the checks intimidates the loser. If the loser won 1 check by more than 5, he may attempt to rechallenge. This can only be done once by either party per duel. These checks may never be rushed.

Dance Fight! (Feat)

Such grace! Such style! Such deadly moves!

Prerequisites: Charisma 13, Perform (dance) 5 ranks
    Benefit:
    As a full action, you may make an attack using a perform check. The DC to hit is the same as your target's AC, however you suffer a -2 penalty on your AC until the start of your next turn as your movements become more predictable.

Improved Dance Fight! (Feat)

Truly, his tap lessons have paid off...

Prerequisites: Charisma 15, Perform (dance) 7 ranks, Dance Fight!
    Benefit: When dance fighting you no longer suffer the -2 penalty to AC, instead you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC until the start of your next round. If your dance-attacks miss, you lose this bonus.

Edit: The last 2 feats are of course for rival street gangs to square off against one another in back alleys. "When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way..."

Edit edit: switched dance fight from standard action to full action after I realised that it was effectively a +6 or more to attack rolls...

Edit edit edit: I think this will turn out to be a very useful source of ideas.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-08 at 09:49 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Wilderness Man Talent
    Here, Let Me Try - Bunyan Tree
    -A real wilderness man (or woman ?!) is just plain stronger than most civilized folk. They can haul heavy loads, straighten out horse shoes and toss varmints around like ninepins.
    Basic: All of your Carrying Capacities are increased by 200 pounds.
    Improved: Once per day a Wilderness Man may add +5 to a single Strength Check.
    Master: ...I don't know.
    Sounds like a +10 bonus to Overrun and Bull-rush... since those skills aren't used much, it actually makes them MAYBE worth doing every-so-once-in-a-while, which gets around the "bigger numbers" problem. If static bonuses are a problem, make it your strength SCORE (not modifier), or perhaps half that.
    -Someone else suggested (and I concur) that Gangsters have a talent set for motor vehicles. Not sure what to call it. Something like:
    Automotive Tree - Maintaining and operating automobiles and motor-cycles.

Side note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Internal combustion engines, being fancy technology, ought-not work in the wild, and have trouble in rural areas. I think this might best be handled by having them burn more fuel and less cleanly. So characters that want to do some motoring aren't quite restricted to cities. They won't get very far, so steam engines are still the best way to actually travel long distances. And out in the wild? Forget it.
    If you're wondering how well this might fit, think of the western movie Fistful of Dynamite. I loved the scene where the main character, and Irish chemist is introduced to the gang of Mexican bandits. Driving through the desert in a motorcycle, goggles, satchel full of explosives...
    "Bootlegging" sounds about perfect here, since it is the source of the term "bootlegger reverse". If, for some odd reason, you don't like that skill then you might try "Rum-running" (but that is probably the pirate era skill).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.