New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fun Down On the Farmpunk: Join in!

Sooo... which classes still need creating?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

So far only Stranger, Doctor, and Vagrant have anything concrete, though the Stranger needs more talents and the Vagrant needs some defensive talents. Also, the more talents the better, considering we're looking at 9+ pre-epic for ALL classes.

Hmm... perhaps if you start with 3 talents, you could gain one at every odd level and improve one every even. That way (assuming E8) you'd have 6 talents, which you would have improved 4 times. This would mean at level 8 you'd have 6 talents split as so:

2 basic, 4 improved.
    3 basic, 2 improved and 1 master.
    2 basic, 3 improved and 1 master.
    3 basic, 1 improved and 2 master.

Eyeballing it, that doesn't seem so bad. Still need about 9 talents for each class, but we don't need OVER NINE for flexibility's sake. Of course, the more talents the merrier, but 9 seems like a nice number to aim for

With practically no, or very little, love are:
    Farmer/Engineer
    Wilderness Man
    Gunslinger
    Gangster
    Rascal
    Preist

Gkathellar's ideas post can be found here, with various talent ideas around and about.

EG:
    Farmer
    General ideas

Doctor:
    Breathe, Damnit!
    Also: Perhaps he should be able to heal physical (Str, Dex, Con) ability damage

Rascal:
    How did he do that?
    I live for this kind of thing
    23 Skidoo

Wilderness man:
    Various ideas
    Bunyan Tree
    Another Bunyan Tree
    Ain't that a kick in the head

Gunman:
    Trusty Weapon
    Quick Draw
    Two hands

Priest:
    Conviction
    Also: Perhaps he should be able to heal mental ability damage (int, wis, cha) and restore souls that have been lost
    Also: Removal of curses? Blessings that improve luck (roll 2d20, pick higher number)?

Skills:
    Skills

Abilities
    Timings of ability increases

Other Ideas:

Primitive firearms
    Music Feats
    Leaping off of Trains
    Booze
    4 Shining Cities
    Cure types

Monsters:
    Soulless subtype
    Jackalope
    Administration Agent

Magic Items:

Bindle of holding
    Named Bullet
    Rocksalt Slug
    Troutfur Coat
    Solid Gold Fiddle

Rick Astley:
    Rick Astley

I think that's about all the archiving I do right about now...

I also want to throw my continued vote in for an Agent class - a Guv'ment sponsored FBI type for 1920's "Mulder and Scully" shenanigans, just because I think that some players might want to work for the guv'ment for the same reason that some D&D players want to play a Blackguard.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-17 at 06:14 AM.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

I've been doing work on the Gunslinger class, should have something up within the week, depending on how finals work out.

I'd approve of the Agent, though we may want to make it more general. Perhaps allow it to also include Private Eye types? I'm not sure. It may also work best as a racial class, seeing how Agents are not even human.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    I also want to throw my continued vote in for an Agent class - a Guv'ment sponsored FBI type for 1920's "Mulder and Scully" shenanigans, just because I think that some players might want to work for the guv'ment for the same reason that some D&D players want to play a Blackguard.
    An agent class would be a little too specialized, methinks. I could see a general "snoop" or "sleuth" class, since it doesn't look like the Rascal or the Gangster are really going to cover the requisite territory for that.

As to players as government agents: Bear in mind that the actual government is not necessarily evil. It's reasonably corrupt, occasionally incompetent and ineffective, and has a lot of power to throw around within its power bases but a lot less than it thinks outside of them. And while some people resent that, especially out on the Range where it's less powerful and less helpful, it does actually make sure the bridges are maintained and the roads are paved and the wheels of society keep turning.

A government agent might actually be a perfect archetype for a serious, episodic type of game. Agents could be fighting hobos one day, fighting alongside them against the Administration Entity the next, negotiating with natives on the third, blackmailing a crime kingpin the day after that and finishing their week off with a trip out to a distant part of the range to see that Ol' Scratch gains the edge over Coyote and Mr. Cypher in order to get a senator's soul off the hook.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    A government agent might actually be a perfect archetype for a serious, episodic type of game. Agents could be fighting hobos one day, fighting alongside them against the Administration Entity the next, negotiating with natives on the third, blackmailing a crime kingpin the day after that and finishing their week off with a trip out to a distant part of the range to see that Ol' Scratch gains the edge over Coyote and Mr. Cypher in order to get a senator's soul off the hook.
    This. I give all my +1's for this week to this.

This has got me thinking, what is so special about the Rascal and the Gangster that they need separate classes? I've always thought that the Gangster would be like a Gunslinger, only city-oriented and able to mix it up in melee better. All I've really seen for the Rascal is someone who gets by on luck and wits, which rather fits for a lot of these classes. Do we need two classes, or would they work better as a combined class?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll try putting it in D&D terms, perhaps. A rascal is somewhere between a Bard, Swashbuckler and rogue. Main attributes would be dexterity, intelligence and charisma. He gets by with his athletic skills (to avoid getting caught and to get into places), his charm and, if necessary, combat trickery. The gangster is really more a tough bruiser. A fighter, in D&D. His charisma is for intimidation, not charm. He can beat someone to a pulp with two hits. The rogue, instead, will evade the first three hits his enemy attempts, then hit them over the head with a chair from behind (how did he even get behind that guy? Who knows!). The gunslinger is perhaps closer, but his talents are in shooting, not trickery.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

The gangster is a thug, and he fights like a thug - if the wilderness man knocks you off your feet with a single blow and the rascal trips you up when you step, the gangster bashes in your knee with a lead pipe and stomps on your crotch. The rascal uses cheap shots and dirty tricks, but the gangster is a brawler who takes every chance he can find to do something nasty to his opponent. The only meaner fighter than a gangster is a doctor with a scalpel and anatomy talents, and the gangster still beats him on cunning and gusto.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

8. - Top - End - #368

Hmm. Yeah, that makes sense, then. So stunning fist and stat penalties on the Gangster's strikes.

Is Sam Vimes a Gangster?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think I'm gonna' claim the Rascal for now, but I've got a lotta' things on, so I might relinquish it.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    I think I'm gonna' claim the Rascal for now, but I've got a lotta' things on, so I might relinquish it.
    Even though I claimed the Rascal for now, I've got a lotta' things on, so I think I might have to relinquish it-

Oh, wait.

Yeah, I've begun to run out of ideas for talents, so I'll post what I have later...

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    Even though I claimed the Rascal for now, I've got a lotta' things on, so I think I might have to relinquish it-

Oh, wait.

Yeah, I've begun to run out of ideas for talents, so I'll post what I have later...
    Oh, whoops. Sorry I missed that

If you want me to help with it though, then I'll be up for it
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hmm. Yeah, that makes sense, then. So stunning fist and stat penalties on the Gangster's strikes.

Is Sam Vimes a Gangster?
    He usedto be a member of one of the gangs in the shades, yeah I'd say so. Takes a crook to catch a crook etc. Perhaps being streetwise should be one of the Gangster's talents: knowing the right back alley to get away, knowing just the right guy to talk to, knowing just which doorway to ambush someone from. A real "Ranger" type class, but for the streets. A cop is just a member of a gang that calls themselves the police and gets protection money from the guv'ment, after all...

And yeah, strikes that reduce speed, give attack penalties and even daze a target would be perfect: shattered knees, broken arms, heavy blows to the head... Lots of lovely dirty tricks that don't deal much damage but really penalise a target...
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-11 at 11:25 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think I might try to take the Farmer.
    Let see if I can do this.

14. - Top - End - #374

Is Sam Vimes a Gangster?
    Awesome.

Huh.. how are we handling Multiclassing/PrCing?
    Because a Gangster-Lawman should be amazing.

Maybe... PRC Like Talents for Each thing?

So a list of Law men talents that may require levels in Thug.

Poorly Crafted Example
    Punch Guys In the Face Until They Confes
    You may be a flatfoot, but old habits die hard.
    Prereq: Lawman L1, Gangster L.2
    Lesser: Punching Guys In the face may make them Confess. 50% chance with each unarmed strike.
    Moderate: Your fists are the lasso of truth, Will save or effect similar to zone truth.
    Greater: After an unarmed strike roll Sensemotive against their will save, Without the other fellow speaking you know the answer to Charisma Modifier answers, to questions you have already asked.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

15. - Top - End - #375

Could I say that I severely dislike the idea of that talent? I would handle an effect like that with roleplaying, not a mechanical effect. Maybe a bonus to intimidate, but not much more.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Awesome.

Huh.. how are we handling Multiclassing/PrCing?
    Because a Gangster-Lawman should be amazing.

Maybe... PRC Like Talents for Each thing?

So a list of Law men talents that may require levels in Thug.

Poorly Crafted Example
    Punch Guys In the Face Until They Confes
    You may be a flatfoot, but old habits die hard.
    Prereq: Lawman L1, Gangster L.2
    Lesser: Punching Guys In the face may make them Confess. 50% chance with each unarmed strike.
    Moderate: Your fists are the lasso of truth, Will save or effect similar to zone truth.
    Greater: After an unarmed strike roll Sensemotive against their will save, Without the other fellow speaking you know the answer to Charisma Modifier answers, to questions you have already asked.
    I'm not sure about "prestige talents". I think we need to first of all get the classes we have sorted with about 9 talents or so each, THEN we look for potential synergies between them and how that would work. I like the idea, but I'm not sure about their execution.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

17. - Top - End - #377

Could I say that I severely dislike the idea of that talent? I would handle an effect like that with roleplaying, not a mechanical effect. Maybe a bonus to intimidate, but not much more.
    Talent was meant to be an example, not something to actually be used, crafted from a fever addled-mind. I love being sick.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    I'm not sure about "prestige talents". I think we need to first of all get the classes we have sorted with about 9 talents or so each, THEN we look for potential synergies between them and how that would work. I like the idea, but I'm not sure about their execution.
    Well, just a thought. I suppose your right Base classes first, then prc-stuff.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

In the vein of moar talents, PEACH:

On the subject of save DC's: they seem high because saves are higher. A level 8 character has a fort save of +8-10 + con bonus, the same D&D character would have +6 or +2 + con bonus. I think DC 14 + half level + charisma bonus is reasonable as that gives save DCs of ~18-22 at level 8 (assuming 10-18 cha), which is a 50-80% chance of a successful save at the low end and 40-60% at the high end (assuming 10-18 con). Using charisma is thematically odd to determine save DCs, but I think the more we tie to charisma, the greater the threat of losing a soul is.

Doctor

Graze Anatomy or Malpractice (I like the first name more, but the second fits better)
    "You know, if I cut you just here, you'll bleed out in seconds, so do cooperate..."
    Basic: The doctor's knowledge of anatomy allows him to hinder a target more effectively. He may take a voluntary -4 penalty on his attack roll (ranged or melee). If he succeeds he can chose to cause the target a -2 to attacks, or -10' to his base speed, or a -4 on fortitude or reflex saves. These penalties last for a number of days equal to his doctor level. Fortitude save negates DC 14 + half doctor's level + charisma bonus.

Intermediate: The doctor's attacks cause bleeding. The target takes 1d6 bleeding damage per round for a number of rounds equal to half the doctor's level. Fortitude save negates DC 14 + half doctor's level + charisma bonus.

Master: When the doctor uses the basic ability of Graze Anatomy/Malpractice, he may opt to inflict 1d3 wounds on the target instead of the other penalties. Fortitude save negates DC 14 + half doctor's level + charisma bonus.

Mother's Little Helper
    "Doctor please, some more of these!"
    Basic: The duration of drugs administered by the doctor is doubled. If the doctor provides a drug that grants a bonus to saves, that bonus is increased by 2.*

Intermediate: ? (Perhaps there should be penalties for mixing drugs. This talent could negate some of them)

Master: The bonuses to skill and ability checks provided by drugs are doubled when administered by a doctor.

Big Pharma
    Drug companies only have your best interests at heart...
    Basic: A doctor can make potions that provide a +4 bonus (or -4 penalty) to a save, or a +2 bonus (or -2 penalty) to an ability with a duration of 1 hour. He needs some water, some sugar, some mould, a herb, a pot to mix it all in, a source of heat and vials to store it in. the process takes 8 days minus his doctor level and produces 8 doses of the drug.

Intermediate: If a doctor has a little bit of chalk and some sugar, he can make a dose of any drug in liquid form into two pills. Each pill provides one dose. The process takes one hour and requires access to a little bit of glass ware, some pots and pans and a source of heat. A doctor can make up to 20 pills of the same drug at a time.

Master: The bonuses provided by drugs made by the doctor increase to +6 (or -6) for saves and +4 (or -4) to abilities.

*I think potions of cure disease/poisons should perhaps allow a new save with a bonus, rather than just being a total cure. Makes diseases a little more threatening if there isn't a 100% cure-all. What do you think?

Priest

Spiritu Sancto
    HEAL, BOY! I SAY, I SAID HEAL! HEAL!
    Basic: The priest may attempt to heal 1d4 damage or drain to the Inteligence, Wisdom or Charisma abilities. This requires a DC 15 perform (oratory or sing) check and takes 10 minutes of uninterupted speech (or song). The target must rest for 24 hours between heal attempts.

Intermediate: The priest's ministering helps to strengthen, or weaken a target's resolve. They gain a +4 morale bonus, or -4 morale penalty (priest's choice), to will saves for a number of days equal to the priest's level after hearing him make a sermon. In addition, if the target is under the effect of something that required a will save to resist, they may immediately make another check with the +4 morale bonus. The target must wait 24 hours before this can be attempted again. Will save DC 14 + half priest level + charisma bonus

Master: If a soulless creature hears a priest's sermon, they may have their soul returned to them. The preist must make a DC 25 perform (oratory or sing) check. If he succeeds, the soulless creature may make a will save DC 14 + half priest level + charisma bonus or have their soul returned to them. This requires the target to hear the priest for a full 10 minutes of uninterupted speech or song. If this fails, the target must wait 24 hours before this can be attempted again.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-13 at 10:59 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

My version of the doctor is up. I didn't notice your talents, and they have some overlap, so we need to decide which to use.
    Last edited by 0tt3r; 2010-12-13 at 12:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380

Re The Doctor

I don't suppose improvised booze as means for sterilizing, pain-killing, or other odd abilities would be out of line? Or perhaps a improvised surgery ability, sorta like 'All I got is this drunkards spit, this rusted nail, and my glasses. Your life is safe in these hands.'

Actually there was a surgery skill introduced a while ago, I always thought was a kind of gritty and fun way to handle complicated heal checks... Maybe this skill could be the solution to some of the gangster's attacks? I don't know. But I think it'd be cool if we could update and complete it, or something akin to it. Its a bit convoluted, more than the heal skill for certain, but has a very early-doctor feel.

21. - Top - End - #381

Okay, so, I've thought about the doctor, and his medicine brewing. I didn't like the random mechanic of it, so I made my own suggestion. It's basically a skill, and a talent to improve it.

Pharmacy (Skill)

(Class skill of Doctors only)

You can create helpful drugs against various ailments, and powerful tonics to strengthen your allies.
    Creating a drug or tonic takes 4 hours, a laboratory, raw materials worth [cost] and an apothecary check DC 15. All tonics (with the exception of teh revitalizing tonic) provide a bonus, which lasts for 6 hours after drinking the tonic, while drugs apply until the next save to which they apply is made, or for 24 hours, whichever comes first.

Tonics:
    Revitalizing: this tonic restores 2d6 vitality points and removes the fatigued condition from the consumer.
    Energizing: this tonic provides a +2 morale bonus on all skill checks, attack rolls and saves.
    Invigorating: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to strength.
    Relaxing: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to dexterity.
    Toughening: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to constitution.

Drugs:
    When making a drug, choose a specific poison (i.e. rattlesnake venom) or disease (i.e. the Blackwater Taint). The drug provides the one drinking it a +5 medicine bonus on his next save against that disease or poison.

Herbalist [Talent, Doctor]

Basic: By spending four hours in the range or wild, the doctor can gather herbal ingredients for his medicines. This means that he only has to pay half the base cost when next preparing a tonic or drug.
    Improved: When gathering ingredients on the range, the doctor no longer has to use any costly ingredients when making drugs or tonics.
    Master: All drugs and tonics created by the doctor provide double their normal bonus, or in the case of the revitalizing tonic, heals 2d6 points of damage.

Quackery [Talent, Rascal]

Basic: The rascal gains Pharmacy as a class skill. Furthermore, he can brew tonics in half the time it would normally take him. However, if he does so, they provide only half the normal bonus (rounded down).
    Improved: The rascal learns the secrets of mass production. He can create up to five doses of the same tonic simultaneously with no increase in production time.
    Master: By mixing all kinds of ingredients and chemicals he finds lying around, the rascal can create a single dose of tonic in only 10 minutes of work and at half cost. However, this tonic only provides half it's normal bonus (rounded down) and ceases to function in the Cities.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-12-15 at 04:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Tonics:
    Revitalizing: this tonic restores 2d6 vitality points and removes the fatigued condition from the consumer.
    Energizing: this tonic provides a +2 morale bonus on all skill checks, attack rolls and saves.
    Invigorating: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to strength.
    Relaxing: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to dexterity.
    Toughening: this tonic provides a +2 medicine bonus to constitution.
    I approve, but could do with the option to provide penalties as well.

Drugs:
    When making a drug, choose a specific poison (i.e. rattlesnake venom) or disease (i.e. the Blackwater Taint). The drug provides the one drinking it a +5 medicine bonus on his next save against that disease or poison.
    While complete versimilitude is a noble goal, one cure for one disease and one antidote for each posion doesn't really help out game mechanics. I think having a generic "disease cure" and a generic "antidote" is the way forward, providing a +2 (or higher) bonus on saves and allowing you to make a new save if you have the disease. Perhaps specific drugs could allow higher saves for their named disease, but act as a generic drug for all other diseases. Makes it less of a downer if you've got The Hillbilly Itch*, and your party doc only has his patented Blackwater Taint cure.

*I just made that up, but it sounds like it could be either inconvenient, or majorly unpleasant just with a light-hearted name. Perhaps dex drain, with secondary con?
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-15 at 05:08 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

23. - Top - End - #383

The itch sounds nasty.

Also, at least with the diseases: remember that you only have to make one save per 24 hours for them. So after you get infected, the doctor has plenty time to prepare a cure before you do your next save.

How about this, then: specific antidote gives +5, general antidote gives +2.

As for penalties: I figured that would be a secondary skill, poison making. But thinking about it now, it should probably be the same, yes. So I'll include 1d4 ability damage poisons.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-12-15 at 05:23 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

How about this, then: specific antidote gives +5, general antidote gives +2.
    Or: in keeping with the triumvirate nature of this setting: (3 magic types, 3 broad regions, 3 tech levels, 3 levels for each talent, 3 trickster spirits, 3 shining cities + an imitation one, see a pattern? I don't think it's one we should force, just I like that it has come about and we should take advantage of it when we see an opportunity)

Cures/tonics come in three varieties:
    General, Specific and Patented*.

General cures provide a +2 bonus to saves against all diseases.

Specific cures have the name of the disease in the cure: e.g. "Blackwater Taint Remedy" and provide a +4 bonus to saves against that disease, but also a +2 bonus to saves against other diseases.

Patented cures have name's such as "Dr Spangler's Patented Blackwater Taint Tonic". They provide a +6 bonus to saves against that disease, but also a +2 bonus to saves against other diseases. Patented cures will only work as a general cure in The Wild due to the complicated mix of chemicals used to make them.

*Not that the guv'ment's patent office has any record of these drugs, and the number of requests to view the patent documents for people peddling these dubious wares has resulted in the creation of a form letter that is simply stamped and sent as a reply
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-15 at 06:19 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

25. - Top - End - #385

Actually, I'd do it exactly the other way round.

Specific cures that help with one disease? Closer to the real world. Should belong in the city.

Magical cure-alls made from a handful of herbs? Folk magic.

My suggestion:

Patent Medicine: +6 against one disease or poison, works only in the city and the range.
    Specific Medicines: +4 against one disease or poison, +1 against all. Work everywhere.
    Cure-all: +3 against all diseases, work only in the wild or range.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-12-15 at 06:51 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Actually, I'd do it exactly the other way round.

Specific cures that help with one disease? Closer to the real world. Should belong in the city.

Magical cure-alls made from a handful of herbs? Folk magic.

My suggestion:

Patent Medicine: +6 against one disease or poison, works only in the city and the range.
    Specific Medicines: +4 against one disease or poison, +1 against all. Work everywhere.
    Cure-all: +3 against all diseases, work only in the wild or range.
    Well, I said patented cures will only work as a general cure (a cure-all) while you're in the wild, but yeah, having a digital "won't work here, will work here" on-or-off set up is easier to judge. Bascially anything that works in the wild won't work in the cities and vice versa. Scope for reduced ability to work in the range can be added in later to things that seem appropriate. Bags of holding getting heavier, cars moving slower (as if through difficult terrain?), that sort of thing.

Where a direct mechanical penalty is not appropriate, fluff can be used, for instance patented cures tasting bloody aweful in the range, but actually being quite palatable in the city, despite them working just as well in both places.

"It's because it has to be transported so far from the factory". Yeah right, more like it's the influence of wild magic and its antithetical nature to anything technological. Much more rational.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-15 at 07:11 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

27. - Top - End - #387

Absolutely. Which reminds me: did people see my newest Stranger talent, now that we are speaking of Blackwater taint? Didn't get any comments on it.

Also, I should try and write more, but I'm pretty much out of ideas. Some help here?

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Absolutely. Which reminds me: did people see my newest Stranger talent, now that we are speaking of Blackwater taint? Didn't get any comments on it.

Also, I should try and write more, but I'm pretty much out of ideas. Some help here?
    Looked alright to me. Very terrifying. Very hard to inconspicuously poison anyone with the basic talent, given that the water changes so dramatically. I'd say that the water remains clear. The fish all dying later would be a pretty big hint that it had all gone horribly wrong, and by that point the stanger would move on.

We need to think about fictional characters who conform to the stranger archetype. Villains, people who sold their souls, etc. Any suggestions?

I think part of the problem you might be having is that you're trying to shy away from anything overtly supernatural. Ok, so Eldritch Blast is a bit flashy, but adding a little extra profane damage to hits isn't out the question. Flying might be too much, but being able to ignore difficult terrain, not leave tracks and not set off traps due to unnaturally light steps might work. Even the effects of blink aren't too flashy if you fluff it as being because his pacts just make him lucky enough to not get hit, or fast enough to get out the way.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

29. - Top - End - #389

I've been looking for a good capstone for the luck talent, a miss chance might be good here.

As for extra damage, how about:

Cursed Bullet

Basic: In a process taking a full minute, the Stranger can curse a silver or iron bullet. That bullet, when fired by the stranger and hitting, deals one extra profane damage. The stranger can have up to six cursed bullets at a time.
    Improved: If the cursed bullet deals a wound, that wound does not heal naturally or with the help of a doctor. Instead, it only heals when a priest sprinkles the wound in holy water and successfully makes [a check].
    Master: ?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Cursed Bullet

Basic: In a process taking a full minute, the Stranger can curse a silver or iron bullet. That bullet, when fired by the stranger and hitting, deals one extra profane damage. The stranger can have up to six cursed bullets at a time.
    Fine, I like it. Only one though? Why not damage equal to charisma bonus? Or 1d6? Or 1/4 level d6?

Improved: If the cursed bullet deals a wound, that wound does not heal naturally or with the help of a doctor. Instead, it only heals when a priest sprinkles the wound in holy water and successfully makes [a check].
    Hmm. Does not heal naturally: fine. I think it should perhaps be treatable by a doctor, but increases the DC on the heal check, perhaps by +stranger level, or +half stanger level+cha. Something like that. Priests need a way to remove curses though, so I'll file that one away in my archive above.

Master: ?
    It's a cursed bullet. Why not treat this like Bestow Curse? Ok, so it's available from as early as level 4, which means it needs to be scaleable (penalties on abilities equal to half stranger level, or to saves equal to stranger's charisma bonus). Will save negates. DC 14+half stranger level + cha bonus.

Or, abiltiy penalties may be too trite and obvious. Perhaps the target has a run of bad luck - roll two d20s on any skill check for the next X hours and chose the lower result. Or maybe terrible luck; Roll a number of d20s equal to the stranger's charisma bonus and pick the lower result. Lasts for X rounds (where X is based on the stranger's level, perhaps half).
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-15 at 10:15 AM.

My/Friends' Homebrew.